Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Terrible Robot posted:

What exactly is it that attracts people to Sebrings?

They're not a bad-looking car, especially the convertible. Most people don't know the first thing about cars, and their first impression will be appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

rscott posted:

It's a Renault Alliance.

Ugh. I re-valved the head on one of these around 1991 for a co-worker after the timing belt failed with 44K on the clock. The loving distributor cap was glued on and could not be removed without breaking it off. And a replacement was $52 at NAPA at a time when I was paying $8 for a cap for my 73 Electra.

YF19pilot posted:

No, I think it's the luggage rack. Hipsters and ricers are starting to put that on all their cars these days.

That's a factory rack since the trunk couldn't hold crap with the top down

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

grover posted:

Porsche tool kits come with alignment studs that support the wheel like you get the lug bolts in. Too damned easy to nick the pain on the brake calipers, though, I'd much rather have studs.
So, he put a functional luggage rack on a beetle, that's.... oh.

More like: towel rack

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Frozen-Solid posted:

Look at this abomination that I saw at McDonald's today. Just look at it. Those are the ugliest drat rims I've ever seen.

Somewhere in the universe sits an Imperial Walker up on cinderblocks

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MiniFoo posted:

Sarcasm aside, it would be inconvenient if the hood unlatched while the car is moving.

Seconding this. I had it happen on my '67 Cadillac Deville convertible at 45MPH & it wasn't pretty.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shifty Pony posted:

The filter is not paper but some fancy foam thing designed to last for 150k miles and even includes a flow restriction indicator so you know when the unit needs to be changed.

wipeout posted:

Wouldn't that attempt to improve emissions compliance, actually increase emissions when the filter gets clogged? Interesting solution to the problem.

When I tried to envision an air filter large enough to last 150,000 miles, I kept coming back to this mental image:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Maybe he's got one of those magic proximity alarms that senses when you stick a body part inside the cabin.

I just leave the doors unlocked on the Bonneville. Cheaper than replacing a cut top. Not that there's anything inside worth stealing, mind you, but tweakers aren't the brightest bulbs on the tree...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bucephalus posted:

RE: silver cars: you're paying for paint, you might as well choose an actual color.

I had no choice, my Flex came in silver. At the end of the company lease, I have right of first refusal; if I buy it, I WILL re-paint it.

cursedshitbox posted:

I was looking for vacuum adjust Bosch E spec lights for my w124 and saw this.

:suicide:

More like :pwn:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 7, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

arg

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

einTier posted:

Less talk, more pictures.

For when you absolutely, positively hate to be passed.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wasted bodywork skills on regrettable Chryslers? I'm in!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm about 6'1" and 250 lbs. I can imagine the poor thing straining beneath my bulk. Would it really be that bad for a fatso like me?

I have fond memories of the old Honda Passport scooter I had as a kid. I get all nostalgic and start wanting a tiny motorcycle sometimes.

Oh then you want:

Edit: Yamaha Chappy, appears to be a late-70s LB50 (50cc) model.

Carteret posted:

[timg]http://www.motorstown.com/images/honda-big-ruckus-04.jpg[/timg
Honda Big Ruckus

That looks like it was taken about .05-sec before lowsiding on wet leaves.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 21, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My sister has problems dealing with the trend towards factory-slammed Hondas:

Hitting the yards tomorrow to see if I can locate a new bumper cover. It's sprung in several places, and cracked; both inner fender wells were eaten by the tires. It's lost too many attachment points for me to be able to, uh, creatively restore structural integrity.

She says she beached on a steep driveway apex in Seattle in August, and that things went downhill from there.

Although the cats are fascinated.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 21, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blitter posted:

I was having a smoke and it was -30C and windy as hell, so I wandered off to get out of the wind.

Oh!

(full size image here)

(full size image here)

• Bad Camo paint
  • 2 x Grappling hooks and rope (only visible on the driver side photo if barely, but was present on both sides)
  • 2 x Baseball bats
  • Pick axe
  • Double bladed axe
  • Small shovel
  • A big rack of various sledges, pitchforks and unidentifiable pointy objects on poles (racked in the back)

This was the day before Christmas which made it seem even stranger.

I planned on getting better pics and hopefully spotting the owner/occupants but they were gone before I was up.
[edit: now original images with blinding fingat]

It might be A Thing. Saw this last fall at my local car show:

...although this was worse. Why must bodyworking skills be so inversely proportional to good taste?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 30, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Pseudonym posted:

I think this thread has come full circle.

It has. That's from the Wildwood boardwalk show, where, in 2010, was squatting this abomination:

Arrr.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

And you thought that nasty smell was just the catalytic converter

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That pickup truck one (taste aside) had me fooled. I was wondering where the hell one could score a Plexiglas tailgate...

It is terrible car stuff. That is also one damned talented airbrush artist.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The NJ DMV has webcams at their state inspection locations so you can see how long the line is before you go. I don't think these guys are going to pass.

Which says a lot, since essentially all they check any more is emissions. I sent my son over to Deptford in a '74 Dart with a missing rearview mirror, no working horn, and dodgy brakes (he was supposed to fix them all before he went over); came back with a 2-year sticker.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 10, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Falkenbok posted:

And if you're in France, they used to be standard there until the EEC made them change it.

In 1975 when my family moved from Switzerland to France my father had to get new yellow headlamp lenses for the Opel Commodore to comply with the law. It was weird at first, seeing rivers of yellow light at night, but we got used to it; it was always easy to pick out non-French cars at night, since everywhere else in the (rational) world used standard headlamps.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cenodoxus posted:

PT Cruiser hood, BMW grille, Grand Am bumper and possibly side skirts, and Volvo tail lights.

Probable country of origin: Russia?

An Eastern European car desiger on vacation in the US saw an Aztek and had a really, really bad dream about it on the way back home. Then he hit the drawing board.

canyoneer posted:

I saw this on the Internet. At least the wheels match :haw:

Beats my 77 Aspen dually pickup all hollow. I'll never be able to post it again.
:jiggled:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 16, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Shrapnac posted:

Ah 95, I'm assuming that's 95 heading into or out of Philly, what a wonderful place to see horribly shitted up cars.

Yup. Northbound 95 between Port Richmond and Bridesburg.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A beautiful essay, and I can't agree more. I've totalled one '66 Pontiac, in 2000; the replacement's been driven about 11000-miles since then. It's tough to balance between driving and curating. It's driven everywhere from shows to the grocery store.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Those two bumper stickers were made for each other.

Content:

Had this one for awhile. Is boners.com still a thing?

(edit) apparently not

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Measly Twerp posted:

Jesus making GBS threads christ what the gently caress

You just triggered a memory...

That's a lotta Rhino Liner.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

There have been times, on dark-as-gently caress back-country roads, roads that I did not know well, with Farmer John barreling towards me & oblivious to the fact that he was burning out my retinas and turning my evening into a tunnel of horrors, that I dreamed of a rig like that.

For just such an occasion.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Carteret posted:

Who's ready for a montage of fail at the Tail of the Dragon?!

It's cool though: he had his driving gloves on! :cripes:

While I cannot guarantee that I would have kept my head throughout an ordeal like that, it is why I carry one of these in my car:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Number_6 posted:

Your accelerator pedal and brake pedal seem almost comically huge compared to most modern cars. Or is that an optical illusion?

No, they are comically huge. And trimmed in steel.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Kolta posted:

Creeping, I've found this.

E: Don't think it's his though, maybe a friend.

Purpose built...much stouter.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KozmoNaut posted:

What's that stupid sunglasses and fedora-wearing badly-mustachioed 'thing' in the trunk supposed to be? I've seen it somewhere before, but I can't place it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CommieGIR posted:

Fun fact: in the Fokker Tri-plane, the engine and propeller are bolted together, and the engine rotates :psyduck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6xX0zSvp7w

Almost all of the aircooled rotaries were set up that way. Plus, the motors were lubricated via a "lost-oil" system with castor oil, which meant the pilots were constantly inhaling it...which meant that they constantly had the shits.

A different breed of men.

edit: standard VW power

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 7, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CommieGIR posted:

What? That is news to me.

Century of flight posted:

There are other reasons that would have tended against the use of the rotary into more modern times and the greatest of these would be its enormous appetite for oil. The fuel was mixed with air as it was introduced through a primitive "carburettor" - usually in the tail end of the crankshaft. Via this route it made its way to the crankcase where is picked up all of the oil that was loose. When the fuel mixture was introduced to the combustion chamber it was very much a mix of fuel, air, and castor oil.

The imperfect combustion of any engine is not equalled by that of a rotary. The castor oil, being the least combustible of the two liquids, was spewed out into the atmosphere. It would be but a short time before the whole of the slipstream area of the aeroplane would be well coated with castor oil. The pilot would be soaking up oil at a fairly rapid rate as well. It is arguable that the reason for cowling the engine had as much to do with trying to control the wildly spewing oil as it was to do with the concepts of streamlining. The usual practice was to direct the oil underneath the fuselage by opening up the bottom of the cowl.

However, a cowling is not a favourite item to a rotary. The cylinders are air-cooled. As has been mentioned, the use of two banks of cylinders caused trouble enough. The cowling made the engine much hotter that it liked. The reason for the cutout in the bottom of the cowl, then, was to direct the spray of oil as well as to aid in cooling the engine. Some of the cowlings of WWI aeroplanes show evidence of extra cooling openings being cut into them by mechanics in the field.

Many people remark about the pleasantness of the odour of burnt castor oil. Out in the open where one's exposure is contrasted with other scents, it can be an enjoyable sensation. It is still nice if you are saying, "bye-bye" to the pilot before you go back to your mechanic's tasks. But to sit behind an engine that is spraying you with un-burnt - as well as burnt - castor oil is quite another matter after a few hours. The oil is known for its purgative qualities. It would be impossible to expose oneself to such an atmosphere and not experience certain difficulties.

http://www.century-of-flight.net/new%20site/frames/rotary%20engines_frame.htm

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm getting wood.

I want it.
What is it?

Looks like Studebaker Commander greenhouse...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ, I remember those with the old ones. I wondered if they'd ever start this with the new ones.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

dphi posted:

I remember seeing a few drivers in SF a few years back that, after parking, opened their trunk and flipped down an attached cushion to protect their bumpers from parallel parkers. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

edit - like this, basically - http://chariotauto.com/

Juuuust starting to see these in Philadelphia. Betting:

a) These will proliferate

b) Before long, users will never bother to remove them.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

blugu64 posted:

I've only got one thing to say, with age comes wisdom. Those who won't be able to remember Kris Kross are doomed to wear their clothes backwards again.

What goes around comes around

My father: the proto-hipster, 1967

(edit) thread-relevant My first car, 1978 :corsair:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 25, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have never seen a Skoda before last week. This one was in Schwangau, Bavaria.

Don't really care to see another if this is representative of the breed

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Geirskogul posted:

The post on Reddit (I'll admit it) says it came into the shop for a clogged fuel filter, and the fuel filter was honest-to-god clogged with Bondo. And also that it is not a joke car, but the guy driving it is absolutely serious. Must be schizophrenic or something.

Never thought I'd see that outside of SNL.

Darko posted:

I think that James Bondo up there is molding an entirely new car out of that.

Nice

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 14, 2013

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yup.

The $125 '66 Econoline I bought when I was 19 was:

1 3
|-|
2 \R

I remember calling my dad after I bought it. he said,
"You know the standard H-pattern on a floor shift?"
"Yes..."
"Well, stand it up & pretend it's attached to the gearshift lever at the steering column"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Looks like big American iron from the '60s or so - two-door for sure, might have a back seat.

Appears to be a '63-'64 Pontiac Bonneville