Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I liked having the craigslist/ebay thread seperate because they were either really lovely or good deals you could actually own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

So clearly this went over as well as my old Volvo's last six emissions tests.

1996 850 Schedule J vehicle? If so, I felt the same pain but only for 2 tests before I shucked it at Adessa in Tracy.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh god if it was a '96 it'd have OBDII and I would've been able to diagnose it myself. My '88 240 was running very lean based on the sniffer results, but with no other symptoms, so I basically had to try something, test, fail, try again.

You'd think that would be awesome, but it's not since it's the first Volvo year with a government mandated OBD2 port. No matter how many times you try to smog it, it will fail for more open monitors than are allowed. We didn't know this for the first 2 months of trying to get it to pass smog with no noticeable faults until we heard of the mysterious "CA Schedule J" a.k.a. impossible to smog list. First, you have to take it to a smog shop no less than 2 times. At this point, you need a letter from the smog shop stating that under no uncertain terms will this car pass smog because of open monitors even though it's layed out on Schedule J that this is the condition on why it will never pass smog. Now at this point, you're thinking,"Keykey, that's strange because thereis a schedule outlining this vehicle and in fact this vehicle is specifically named in the schedule!" And I'd agree, except the state of CA has its bureaocracy process and this is how it has to be done. At this point, you take it to a state referee station and they know exactly what cars are on the list so you take it there and after wasting no less than 3 days each time you need to smog it, it will pass with flying colors assuming there are no needed corrections and certain lights are out, etc.. I went through 2 smog processes with it. After it smogged the 2nd time I realized how much of a pain in the rear end it was going to be so I threw it to the auction.

edit: I had the name wrong, it's Appendix J. And this is as terrible as this thread can get, not being able to smog a car no matter how much you try or want it to pass. If you're vehicle is in this PDF, may god have mercy upon your soul: http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/ftp/pdfdocs/appendix_j.pdf

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 20, 2012

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Whatever the General Sherman is, I'm positive the General Custer would have to be a Gremlin.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

razorscooter posted:

It's times like this that I'm glad my state doesn't use a whole lot of road salt, jesus.

Fresno? Just a guess based off the bro truck with bulldog and a double wide in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HONK LOVE
IF YOU
JESUS
JESUS

JESUS
JESUS
JESUS