Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Humphreys posted:

NOT terrible is this dudes video for selling his Vitara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP06gvFWW64

Holy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Cage posted:

Old people, and people who don't know much about cars. Basically everyone.

Friend at work bought one of these PT's (a convertible no less). She loves the thing and we take it to lunch all the time. I have to remind myself not to talk bad about it. She's not part of a car club for the thing, but she truly loves the little pile of garbage, so whatever, it's her money.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

How dare people like their cars.

I'm going to assume that she wouldn't have bought it if she didn't like it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

dee eight posted:

Y'know, it's not a really ugly car per se if you like that retro style kinda thing. It's everything else about it that sucks as far as I can tell. (Full disclosure, never ridden in or driven one)

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/va-va-vroom-36227

I drove one as a work vehicle for a while. They are a Neon. The one I had was pretty terrible, massive rattles, squeaks, and it felt like the suspension was completely worn out (I never drove it over 55 because it scared me it wandered so badly) and it only had about 40k miles on it when they gave it to me to use while my truck was in the shop for a couple of weeks. Basically a super cheapo economy box, which is ok I guess if that's what you want.

The one my co-worker drives seems to be much more solid, but I have no idea what the model year was for the one I drove vs. hers, but I'm fairly certain that hers is much newer, and certainly better maintained.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

Terrible Truck stuff: the Passenger door handle on my 2000 Silverado snapped off in my hand yesterday.

You could have just said "my Silverado".

:v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

donut posted:

Good news! Not only is the front just as terrible as the front, but that's not even the only one!

I'm glad that the front is just as terrible as the front!

:laugh:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Chevy Aveo usually but can be made out of a few cars according to the website.

http://jalopnik.com/5368927/extra-terrestrial-vehicle-custom-for-50000

This is the best line...

quote:

a car for you that may have been imported from another planet — a sad, sad planet where cars look like suppositories.

I still don't think it's terrible, just because it's so different, and looks fairly well done.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Two Mustangs one crowd.mov

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The one thing I can see on his side is that if the insurance really did jack his rates up by $900 per year based on the appraisal he submitted, then they de facto accepted the value of the stupid truck, and they should pay up.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yea, I think Haggarty is the right move anytime you are trying to insure something that is worth way more than book value, and you can operate within their restrictions.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Memento posted:

The people we share the road with.

What the gently caress... who uses whitewalls anymore?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Speaking of truck related terrible things...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...d302a34226f3168

Wait.. if the rear brakes were 'clamped off', and the front brakes were inoperable... how did he stop for the police? Hmm?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Terrible badge stuff... A younger me owned a couple of different Mustang Cobra's. I would get irrationally angry when I saw V6 Mustangs sporting SVT or Cobra badges, and for a while that was a really huge thing, so I was mad a lot.

These days, I don't even look at badges unless something in particular draws my eye, or I'm just trying to figure out what a car is that I don't recognize.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I just thought that was a bigger copper terminal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The hood pins on my Cuda look alright from the outside, and then you open the hood and realize someone cut the holes with a pair of metal snips, the jagged holes left being perfect for cutting your fingers on. Deburring, what's that?

I think the same guy must have done the hood pins on my Charger I had as a teenager.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's epic and took a pair.

The world was different if you go back in to the past far enough. My father has lots of funny cop stories that would get you shot or thrown in jail immediately now, but back then were either a stern talking to, or nothing at all. For example he got into drag races with a cop on Central Ave. in Phoenix in the late 50's while driving a DeSoto with side-pipes, and it was the cop who gave the challenge.

Hell, even in the late 80's when I was a young driver, I got away with things that I would be terrified of getting caught at today, like getting passed on a remote Nevada highway while driving about 110, by a State Trooper who never even flashed his emergency lights at me as he went by.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Rhyno posted:

No cell phone regulations here. But yeah, it was pretty shocking that he'd flip his lights to get a burger.

lol... I used to see a Phoenix motor officer using his lights to drive in the emergency lane down I-10. Every single day at the same time, because hey, he's a cop, why should he have to get up in time to get to work using legal traffic lanes like all of us mortals?

Cops gotta cop sometimes, and they don't seem to give a poo poo that people notice and it paints all of them with a patina to us normal citizens.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

davebo posted:

When your reverse lights are on, they're on the side of the car that is facing forward.

I'm not sure you understand facings. At least on my car, the reverse lights are always on the side of the car that is facing backwards.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Uhhhhhh they've got special training, don't you get that knowing how to use the equipment means it's less distracting to use it while driving?

Their awesome driving training allows them to completely safely use an in-car computer to run the plates of the car in front of them, while talking to their sergeant on the cell phone, answering the dispatcher on the radio, and driving in traffic simultaneously.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

It was about 10k in work in total, the underside was wrecked pretty well, but essentially boiled down to 5 pieces that had to get swapped out. 2 of the things required a lot of disassembly to get to, but still it wasn't anywhere near 11 weeks worth. It was just a case of a popular overworked shop servicing the bothersome customers first. I wasn't bothersome enough so I didn't get any priority.

If there was an insurance company paying for a rental car then I bet they would have been moving their asses, because the insurance company will want them to account for every drat hour that the rental gets extended.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

You'd think, but the insurance company says I get 30 days rental and thats all. They'll just tell me to suck it after the 30 days is up. I don't even bother with one most of the time because there's been too many times a rental company ends up dropping more charges on my card for things and I have to fight them on it.

The insurance company is largely unhelpful when it comes to the actual repair. They are fine paying out for the work but don't really hold any sway over the shop unless it's one of their preferred shops, which in Phoenix is limited to some chain place called Service King. I looked into finding a place with a better rep for my <2000 mile grand sport, but honestly I'd have been better off taking it to the dealer.

Strange. My experience is the opposite, but all of my experience is with someone else's insurance company paying for it since the other guy has been at fault, and their objective has always clearly been to minimize their costs, which means speeding the repairs as much as possible and getting me out of the rental car, which they have to pay for no matter how long the repairs take.

I live in the Phoenix area also, and my experiences in the last few years were with Geico and Progressive. Both were surprisingly easy to deal with (other than them wanting to settle on the injuries before I was ready to say I was done) and gave me no issues at all. In one of them I was in the rental for almost 8 weeks.

Edit: In both cases my insurance (State Farm) said that they would take over and get things done and then sue the other company if I had too much difficulty getting things taken care of, but I would be out my deductible of $500 until they got it back from the other company.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who saw that immediately.

I had no idea what the gently caress it even was until the post after it about weed. Honestly, I still can't visualize how it's used, having never partaken of smoke stuff.