Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Let's see:

1986 - 37
1987 - 36
1987 - 36
1990 - 33
1995 - 28
2010 - 13
2013 - 10

Average of 27 years. Just barely beat that.

2017 - 6
1955 - 68

Average of 37 years :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rumor has it that is a 2JZ intake with multiple $300 eBay special AMR500 superchargers

If maximum groverdrive existed, it would be three of these, run off a jack shaft

I call it... the grovercharger

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr Rocksalt posted:

This is giving me bad urges.

Imagine you saw this image AND have a 32" long, 5.3L straight-8 that you could strap not just three, but four of these to, sitting in storage just rotting away

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's what happens when you hire 20 year old engineers in california who have never shot a gun before to test how "bullet proof" your car is. Because setting up a private gun range in los angeles is no small feat. You take the energy imparted on a surface using a 5.95mm bullet, then using the pneumatic cannon you have on hand, figure out what size stainless steel ball bearing and at what velocity you need to fire it at to "simulate" a gun shot. Gives you a highly repeatable test with no permits needed, but.. also you could have just driven it to Nevada and done it that way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

California DMV suspends Cruise’s self-driving car permits, effective immediately.

Not sure if this is the right thread because self-driving cars loving suck so them getting kicked off the roads of my state probably qualifies as Awesome Car Stuff, but then again the cars themselves are Terrible Car Stuff. :iiaca:?

quote:

The DMV on Tuesday said it provided Cruise with a guide to apply for the permits to be reinstated, according to the department, but it would not approve such an appeal unless Cruise fulfills the requirements “to the department’s satisfaction.”

Necessary development based on running over a pedestrian... last week? Two weeks ago? DMV has been remarkably even handed with this so far

quote:

The DMV on Tuesday said it provided Cruise with a guide to apply for the permits to be reinstated, according to the department, but it would not approve such an appeal unless Cruise fulfills the requirements “to the department’s satisfaction.”

Looks like it was Oct 3: https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-woman-injured-pedestrian-crash-cruise/13857047/

Based on the video sounds like a human-piloted car hit a pedestrian and launched them into the air, and then the autonomous car ran over her despite trying to brake real hard :stare: I guess she survived but haven't heard that part. Oh here is Cruise's summary

https://twitter.com/Cruise/status/1709114532042576305

Autonomous cars are scary but I'm cautiously optimistic they'll have fewer (and less severe) accidents over the long term starting in the 2030s

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a bus between my house and the light rail but it's the local and takes 30+ (normally 45) minutes and only runs once an hour

Autonomous cars are required to report (self report) any accidents. It's been a while since I read through them all but almost always there was a contributing factor and happens at low speed. The reason this one is in the news is they actually hit a human.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-industry-services/autonomous-vehicles/autonomous-vehicle-collision-reports/

The one with the human from oct 3 isn't on there (and a newer report, oct 6 is) here's a sample

pdf is not easy to copy/paste so enjoy screenshots instead

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I linked to that incident on the previous page. I think it's third from the bottom where I describe it in detail and link to a primary source where cruise publicly acknowledges it

I meant that I'm surprised the Oct 3 incident isn't logged on the state DMV page, because it looks like it's otherwise current though Oct 6, apologies if that was unclear somehow

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Little cars look better when they're lifted with big meaty tires, and trucks look better when they're slammed. Prove me wrong

Tell me you have a compact pickup with a carolina squat, without telling me you have a compact pickup with a carolina squat

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fins posted:

Some quick math says that this would be in spec for the redline of the AMR (and the 2JZ). A problem that comes to mind is the firing order, assuming that each AMR is feeding a pair of cylinders. If it's a single manifold, good to go. edit: found the thread, from 2009.
https://www.lextreme.com/forums/threads/the-2jz-gzte-project.11453/

So I was looking through my erratic purchase history from friday night and uh it appears I did a thing

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks ok in black, I guess

Maybe unpainted silver ones will only be available for preorder customers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

First double post in possibly ever...

I checked, you have three double posts and two shameful doubleposts (by your own classification) :engleft:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have to open the door so my mother in law can exit my German car because we have child door locks enabled and always leave them on because toddler. Apparently we've decided rear passenger doors not opening is acceptable

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I dunno about the model S but on my BILs model Y you just push in on the external door handle on one side, and the other pops out and you pull on it like you'd expect to

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Ford Aerostar will forever be the van our Scoutmaster drove. In that terrible two tone light blue with dark blue accent color.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm here to ruin your day with a stanced slammed postal truck :colbert:

here's a shot of it during the planning phase, apparently

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cactus Ghost posted:

that's weird, because don't a bunch of other postal vehicles find their way to private ownership, like the RHD subarus and the 2wd jeeps

Paper records are a hell of a drug

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Grumman sold some LLV as civilian models. Not clear why but they exist. North of 100 units but not by a whole lot. The paint job sort of tells the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

17 votes for wrong thread
4 votes for right thread.

AI has spoken. Slammed LLVs are not terrible car stuff.

I for one would love to get my fingers on one.

So,

Fine, I guess to randomly put this up to a vote, and I guess probate me over it(?) I had three IRL folks message me about how weird this was. Particularly the 18 hour part.

Um, would have been fine if it were a 6 hour probe, like you gave yourself. Totally cool. But you gave me an 18 hour probe? Not cool. Let's keep parity on these things. 6 hours is good. Literal nothingburger.vThis is the second weird probation you've given me (the first most people (4 or 5? 7 ? I lost count) disagreed with, saying you misread my post.

Not big big on mod sass but this is twice you hosed me. I am active in other subforums, also those closely tied to my work. You're actively interfering in my life. I'll stop posting in this subforum if that's what you're trying to tell me. I can't have you loving up my career when I'm asking for advice in other subforums. 6 hours is fine. Pick a lane.

I guess I could have PMd you about this. I PMd the mod about your last thing and they didn't care (to their credit they were on vacation, so they get a pass) so I'm making this public.

Not looking for a response. You are actively impacting me.

Please be advised. Thanks.

:qqsay: