Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The only way to have fewer and less severe accidents is to make getting a license harder, have it easier to lose when you gently caress up and also importantly, for cars to be slower and lighter because physics is a bitch.

The real way to solve it is to have people who are so desperate to be face first in their phone on their commute to have access to buses, trains and trams where they're unable to hurt anyone due to their online addiction. I see far, far too many drivers face buried in their phones whilst driving a car at speed and I'd be happy to see that offense become a lifetime ban, car crushed type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'd be happy to see that offense become a lifetime ban, car crushed type deal.

:hfive:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The only way to have fewer and less severe accidents is to make getting a license harder, have it easier to lose when you gently caress up and also importantly, for cars to be slower and lighter because physics is a bitch.

The real way to solve it is to have people who are so desperate to be face first in their phone on their commute to have access to buses, trains and trams where they're unable to hurt anyone due to their online addiction. I see far, far too many drivers face buried in their phones whilst driving a car at speed and I'd be happy to see that offense become a lifetime ban, car crushed type deal.

I'd vote for you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean, I like driving, but if I could sit on a bus for 30 minutes every day and just poo poo post on SA read a novel on my way to work, I'd be super for it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Hadlock posted:

Autonomous cars are scary but I'm cautiously optimistic they'll have fewer (and less severe) accidents over the long term starting in the 2030s

Wrong

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Always the actual solution. And bike paths for people who dont have their head stuck in a device.. LOOOOOTS of bike paths.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a bus between my house and the light rail but it's the local and takes 30+ (normally 45) minutes and only runs once an hour

Autonomous cars are required to report (self report) any accidents. It's been a while since I read through them all but almost always there was a contributing factor and happens at low speed. The reason this one is in the news is they actually hit a human.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-industry-services/autonomous-vehicles/autonomous-vehicle-collision-reports/

The one with the human from oct 3 isn't on there (and a newer report, oct 6 is) here's a sample

pdf is not easy to copy/paste so enjoy screenshots instead

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wrong

Always the actual solution. And bike paths for people who dont have their head stuck in a device.. LOOOOOTS of bike paths.

Getting traffic to slow down in general. Put in car hostile areas to force traffic to slow down if you have to, I want to be able to ride a moped on residential streets

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Uthor posted:

I mean, I like driving, but if I could sit on a bus for 30 minutes every day and just poo poo post on SA read a novel on my way to work, I'd be super for it.

Honestly, people do not enjoy driving to get to work hence so many of them distracting themselves from it. Give them a chance to just chill for half an hour before dealing with the drudgery of work and I dunno, maybe they'd be less depressed. I used to enjoy sitting on a bus listening to tunes and watching the world go by. It was pretty chill.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Absolutely. My cycle route to work has had a few improvements and my drive has now returned to pre-pandemic lengths in terms of time which also makes the bike a viable option again. The cycle route is 2 miles longer and takes 2 minutes longer than driving along 60mph roads and sitting in standstill traffic. Cars are a lovely joke played on us.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 24, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hadlock posted:

Autonomous cars are required to report (self report) any accidents. It's been a while since I read through them all but almost always there was a contributing factor and happens at low speed. The reason this one is in the news is they actually hit a human.

Hit a human and dragged them along the road for twenty feet after the impact, you mean. Is there any SV nonsense bullshit you won't happily tongue bathe?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I linked to that incident on the previous page. I think it's third from the bottom where I describe it in detail and link to a primary source where cruise publicly acknowledges it

I meant that I'm surprised the Oct 3 incident isn't logged on the state DMV page, because it looks like it's otherwise current though Oct 6, apologies if that was unclear somehow

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

God I wish...I live in absolute perfect biking distance from both work and most stores I want to visit, but to give you an idea of the state of things, this is a "bike lane" I've driven by a few times. I'm not a bike guy but it would be nice to have the option to become one and ditch the commuter box, but it would mean guaranteed death and dismemberment.

Highlighted in yellow is the beginning and end of the bike path. It starts out of the middle of a 6 lane stroad and ends on the hard shoulder of a highway onramp. A good portion of it is even in the splash zone of the highway offramp you see coming from the top, because most of the vehicles are too big for both lanes to turn left simultaneously.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

redgubbinz posted:

God I wish...I live in absolute perfect biking distance from both work and most stores I want to visit, but to give you an idea of the state of things, this is a "bike lane" I've driven by a few times. I'm not a bike guy but it would be nice to have the option to become one and ditch the commuter box, but it would mean guaranteed death and dismemberment.

Highlighted in yellow is the beginning and end of the bike path. It starts out of the middle of a 6 lane stroad and ends on the hard shoulder of a highway onramp. A good portion of it is even in the splash zone of the highway offramp you see coming from the top, because most of the vehicles are too big for both lanes to turn left simultaneously.

Yeah I got a few instances of stupid poo poo like that in Sydney - and even worse the bike lobby groups do NOT try to fight that or even suggest lunatic poo poo. It's like they don't ride a loving bike at all.

It's not like it's a difficult problem either or an expensive one. Bike infra is one of the cheapest / easiest and cost benefit that you can do for transport with a load of evidence how well it can work but nope the almighty car has to take precedence despite the huge cost to the purse and society.

Also if you think Autonomous vehicle designers are telling the truth about incidents and near misses, you are goddamn fool. You really think Tesla are the only ones trying to sell lovely autonomous snake oil? The fact is true autonomous transport actually has happened and it's called trains like Sydney Metro. Which even with it's price tag would still end up cheaper than trying to work out some psuedo-auton vehicle bullshit and given it's also got an integrated hub planning (New housing within 3kms with bike paths and busses to the station and all services like shops near the station) it's basically how poo poo *should* be done. Also the trains arrive every 10 minutes offpeak or 4 minutes peak. I'm not sure how a place that is notoriously godfucking awful for rail infra and planning got it right like this and is continuing to build out even more autonomous Metro trains

Waymo/Cruise/Tesla/etall can just gently caress off with not even beta software on the roads.

Edit : Sure I like my cars but it's no fun on traffic choked shitholes and I would rather commute by public transport / bike esp when the trains dont suck.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Driving is cool, having to drive sucks rear end

Our built environment that puts driving above all else is terrible car stuff

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Guinness posted:

Driving is cool, having to drive sucks rear end

Our built environment that puts driving above all else is terrible car stuff

Very succinct. And 100% accurate.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah I got a few instances of stupid poo poo like that in Sydney - and even worse the bike lobby groups do NOT try to fight that or even suggest lunatic poo poo. It's like they don't ride a loving bike at all.

It's not like it's a difficult problem either or an expensive one. Bike infra is one of the cheapest / easiest and cost benefit that you can do for transport with a load of evidence how well it can work but nope the almighty car has to take precedence despite the huge cost to the purse and society.

Also if you think Autonomous vehicle designers are telling the truth about incidents and near misses, you are goddamn fool. You really think Tesla are the only ones trying to sell lovely autonomous snake oil? The fact is true autonomous transport actually has happened and it's called trains like Sydney Metro. Which even with it's price tag would still end up cheaper than trying to work out some psuedo-auton vehicle bullshit and given it's also got an integrated hub planning (New housing within 3kms with bike paths and busses to the station and all services like shops near the station) it's basically how poo poo *should* be done. Also the trains arrive every 10 minutes offpeak or 4 minutes peak. I'm not sure how a place that is notoriously godfucking awful for rail infra and planning got it right like this and is continuing to build out even more autonomous Metro trains

Waymo/Cruise/Tesla/etall can just gently caress off with not even beta software on the roads.

Edit : Sure I like my cars but it's no fun on traffic choked shitholes and I would rather commute by public transport / bike esp when the trains dont suck.

its insanely expensive to do bike infra in the US because all of the roads are extremely worn down and the only time they'll consider doing the bike lanes is when the whole road and sidewalk needs to be redone

then the boomer brained morons complain the bike lanes cost too much and nobody uses them (because they're monitoring the road 24/7) :v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It seems like my city (Huntsville, AL) is trying to integrate dedicated bike lanes and routes where they can as different areas grow and the roads are repaved. The nature of the specific area I live in (Five Points) means that works fairly well. The bike routes are signed like bus routes and try to carry bike traffic between bus stops/routes (which are on major roads), through slower neighborhood streets with a minimum of stop signs. This works so well, in fact, that you can follow the bike routes in a car or while walking to avoid the narrow, busy roads that prevail in the area.

This falls apart once you get outside of Five Points, Old Town, and Downtown, due to way our biggest roads divide the city into quadrants (minus Redstone Arsenal). It's a start though. It looks like you can travel on a bike alone in a ten mile radius of Five Points without too many problems, as long as you used crosswalks correctly.

Talking to the more mobile of the working homeless population here, a combination of bike and bus can get you to the factories inside city limits, to the library, hospital, and the bigger missions in 30-45min vs. a 20-30min drive. That's a lot better than trying to take just the busses, which are divided between smaller ones that run local routes every 30min, and the "express" busses that run all the way to our major suburbs every hour.

Hopefully, as the city grows (and we are growing) the trend towards hybrid transit will continue. We shall see. It does go to show that with some will and not much money, change is possible.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm not a bike guy but I do wear the suit and a helmet

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah actual paths away from any roads, bike lanes are laughable around here I will not use them, I'll use the sidewalk instead if I have to. Much less risk of getting plowed over by a dipshit on their phone. My son rides his bike around a lot to go fishing and I tell him to absolutely stay off the main roads bike lanes or not, people are getting run over all the time it's ridiculous.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Scrungus posted:

That’s an armor piercing round.

If the real truck was really shot, I’d assume it was with 9mm frangible training rounds.

That tank penetration simulation tuber needs to take a crack at CTruck.

This other simulation on the other hand provides a solution. More wedge.

.45 ACP (M1911) vs steel wedge - Bullet splitting - bullet penetration simulation

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Saukkis posted:

This other simulation on the other hand provides a solution. More wedge.

That's for the New Zealand special edition

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Kafouille posted:

That's for the New Zealand special edition

Hey, give the Kiwis some credit, they had 0 experience with any armored vehicles, and the only available blueprint they could get into production before the imminent invasion was just a drawing on a postcard from Afghanistan

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The only thing dumber than believing the massively embarrassing in every way Cybertruck is bulletproof (as long as the assassins agree to only shoot paintballs at you and only at the doors and not the windows or tires or other parts) is the idea that we need autonomous driving when the minimum wage is like $7.25 and will never go up more than a nickel every 20 years in half the states in this godforsaken moron country.

Just 50 self driving cars idling permanently in the parking lot waiting for your McChicken to be brought out to it so it can be delivered to you and you can go out on the street and pick it out of the pile of other McChickens laying in the back seat?

I don't know anything about actual guns but I know there's zero way that poo poo truck is stopping bullets from any rifle with any penetrating power, all militaries in the world literally design small arms weaponry specifically for this situation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

“Needs to be bulletproof” never made the list of car features im considering

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It does if you're from the losing side of an apartheid state banking on RAHOWA prepper techbro dollars

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
I saw a lifted Miata on my commute this morning.

Not like jacked or anything, more like a 6" lift kit. It was weird. I don't know if it's terrible, or terribly amazing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Fatrick posted:

I saw a lifted Miata on my commute this morning.

Not like jacked or anything, more like a 6" lift kit. It was weird. I don't know if it's terrible, or terribly amazing.

wouldn't that lift a Miata's ground clearance by like 300%

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Little cars look better when they're lifted with big meaty tires, and trucks look better when they're slammed. Prove me wrong

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

No vehicle looks good slammed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

Sagebrush posted:

Little cars look better when they're lifted with big meaty tires, and trucks look better when they're slammed. Prove me wrong

They were more like normal tires than beefy. It looked like they tried to go SUV tires and suspension than 4x4 mud whompers. Except SUV tires on a car the size of a Miata is more like 17" rims with some 245/40s on them.

:emptyquote:

Fatrick fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 26, 2023

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Going against the flow - lower everything. The lower the better. Ground clearance be damned, that poo poo looks rad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WTFBEES posted:

Going against the flow - lower everything. The lower the better. Ground clearance be damned, that poo poo looks rad.

Only if airbagged and with proper wheel stance. Otherwise its a gigantic safety hazard.

Personally: Rally height for everyone - 1-2" taller.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Are you going to tell me that mini-trucks don't look good? Or even worse, that low riders might be terrible car stuff??

Slammed cars usually look great and are only really cringey when the car becomes virtually unusable, like that gas fill clip that went around a while back, or that have wheels that get more ground contact than the tires, or the cars that need ramps to leave a parking lot. Bags and hydraulics are awesome, if not very sporty

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

The Door Frame posted:

Are you going to tell me that mini-trucks don't look good? Or even worse, that low riders might be terrible car stuff??

Slammed cars usually look great and are only really cringey when the car becomes virtually unusable, like that gas fill clip that went around a while back, or that have wheels that get more ground contact than the tires, or the cars that need ramps to leave a parking lot. Bags and hydraulics are awesome, if not very sporty

Low riders are the only exception. Slammed mini-trucks just look stupid. Slammed cars look so goddamn ugly to me. I also feel the same way about lift kits on non-actually off-road use vehicles (brodozers especially).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's okay, top half of a volkswagen beetle. The posters are just incredibly wrong about you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

The axiom still holds. That looks awful.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DarkSol posted:

The axiom still holds. That looks awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Car looks dope. :colbert: