Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Slim Pickens posted:

I always thought it was a bit ridiculous for mid-90's hondas to have clubs on them, but I guess I underestimate how lucrative they are to car thieves. :(

The 1994 Accord has been the most stolen car in America for something like 5 years running. If I owned one I'd probably have the Club, a kill switch and an alarm on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Pseudonym posted:

Isn't that a television antenna normally seen on limousines?

Yes it is, as for your second question I can almost guarantee you it's not wired to anything, let alone a TV.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

So you just really hate the Impreza wagon then?

It may not be so much the Impreza wagon as it is that particular front-end treatment. Subaru has never really had world-beating styling, but the 'Flying Vagina' era was a low point for them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

HFP sells some nice looking 7 spokes that are TPMS compatible, he should probably look into those.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Actually, the Consul Capri wasn't the first Capri either. In the early-to-mid 50s there was the Lincoln Capri.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Ghia was trim level on the Mustang during the 70s and 80s as well. Usually well-optioned with either a base or mid-level engine.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

What the gently caress is it, a Kia Sedona?

Looks like a Suzuki Aerio.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, why have 7 forward gears. Even in racing, you often barely touch 5th or if it exists 6th, is it for emissions or fuel mileage purposes? I could understand that, you could run the engine at lower RPMs to conserve fuel at much higher highway speeds.

That's precisely what it's for. I wouldn't be surprised if 7th is practically unusable below about 60. Expect 5th, 6th and 7th to all be overdrive gears.

Motronic posted:

Transaxle. It's a Corvette.....that's how they have been laid out for a long time. It's a great way to balance weight among other positive handling attributes.

It is a good idea, but it's only been that way in the Vette since the C5 debuted in 97.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The problem with that is, you then proceed to get your rear end kicked up, down and sideways in every industry quality survey by those same idiots.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Carteret posted:

What is that symbol supposed to be and why does it have a bent dong in it?

That's the DeTomaso emblem.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

enojy posted:

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why this is terrible. This is probably a Fiero, isn't it.

Pretty sure you guys are way overthinking this and it's just that some knucklehead put a lovely bodykit and spoiler on what appears to be a real Ferrari 355.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Jesus Christ, that dude legit scares me. I love that he manages to get pissed off at the car for him being a huge loving idiot. I was kinda disappointed he didn't go through his sunroof when he jumped on it though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

I figured this belonged here.

That looks like so much fun...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Sypher posted:

Ah neat. Had no idea they wrapped test cars like that. When I was driving along side it, it definitely looked like a CTS body. Obviously I can't be too sure.

If it looked like the current CTS then it's probably the ATS-V.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

License plate says 325 BHP. As he said, rather hard to believe for a G6.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Math You posted:

I really like Ford's powershift or whatever it is branded. Is anyone else going that route? The only thing going against it is people who have only ever driven automatic freak out when they feel the clutch work at low speeds.
Dodge put a similar DCT in the new Dart, but they're going to start offering a 9-speed auto in it now. In part due to how much people hate the DCT. Ford has taken flak for the DCT in the Fiesta too.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Nah, that's just a lovely photoshop of a Reventon and an early 70s El Camino.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

Are there not state laws against this kind of poo poo?
Most likely that truck is illegal, but those laws almost never actually get enforced.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Holdbrooks posted:

It actually furious fuchsia :goonsay:, but it is a throw back go the panther pink 70's ones. I want one of the new 2013 ones in plum crazy pearl coat, just not enough to drop $52,000 on a srt-8.

The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure they actually brought Panther Pink back on the new Challenger for a year or two.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Mooseykins posted:

Apparenty T2 vans are still build in Brazil.

They just recently ended production, actually.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It's kind of funny how you can look at that website and just know the guy is a complete tool in person.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Not that I advocate this in any way, but if you stuck a knife in the sidewall of each of his tires you'd actually be doing that jackass a favor at this point.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

Why would a homologation special have a vinyl top? Atrocious body work on those sails, evidently.

I apologize for nitpicking, but that's a '70 Charger 500. The 500 wasn't a homologation special any more at that point, it was just another trim level. The 500s you're thinking of can be identified by a flush grille and no hideaway headlights in front, it also didn't have the recessed rear window/flying buttresses.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

It actually took me a second to realize those are American cheese slices...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Phone posted:

All they needed to do was just put in the L15A7 from the Fit and dropped the whole hybrid nonsense. Oh look, you have a 2200lb car with 120hp; that seems to fit the CRX mold just fine.

e: oh god, why did I bother to look up the curb weights

Fit: 2359 lbs
CR-Z: 2670 lbs

Great job, Honda. You really outdid yourself with the CR-Z.

2670 lbs doesn't seem so bad for a hybrid, for reasons that should be obvious if you think about it for 5 seconds. Ditch the hybrid setup and just drop the K20Z3 and 6 speed from my Civic in it and you'd probably have a fun little car. Still wouldn't be attractive, but you can't win 'em all.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Not much to say about this 300, but I will tell you that if you're looking at something and you're not sure if it's chrome...

It's definitely chrome.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well they're both red and convertibles, so good job?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Geoj posted:

Until you consider that even when new it was based on a 15 year old Mercedes platform Chrysler got their hands on by virtue of being owned by Diamler.

:rolleyes: No it wasn't. Some of the suspension components were based on E-class tooling. And even doing that required reworking the platform mildly to accommodate it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Actually, it's a 2nd gen (92-95) Taurus.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

xzzy posted:

So what kind of side impact rating does packing tape come with?

Roughly equivalent to the front clip of a Tata Nano.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The DW is Dry Wet = sucks rear end in the snow, summer tire.
The DWS is Dry Wet Snow = all season "ok" in the snow
The Winter Extreme is exactly what it sounds like.

I used my DWS tires for the past 2 winters and there were a few occassions where I wasn't sure I was going to stop in time. Combine that with them being at about half tread, I got 15" Winter Extremes and have not had any white knuckle drives at all.

Just to add to this, I use the Extreme Contact DWS on my Si (215/40R18s) and they're usually pretty good since most of our winters here (North Central Kentucky) are pretty mild. But with this year being what it has been I've had to be really careful at times. Though they usually only give me issues at take off and low-speed turns.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Geoj posted:

That car stock belongs in this thread. It was pretty much the summary of Ford's corporate mentality in the mid-2000s: take a sedan, put a slightly larger engine in it (2.3 vs the 2.0 they put in everything else) along with some rear disc brakes and a few cosmetic upgrades and call it a performance model.

To be fair, it wasn't really any slower than the SVT Focus.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Precisely never.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

8ender posted:

No the 1.8l was definitely a V6. One if the strangest engines I've ever seen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

The post you quoted was talking about the Mitsu FTO, which had a 1.8 I4 and 2.0 V6.

Since we're on the subject though, I've always found the Japanese love of tiny sixes to be fascinating. I didn't know about the Mitsu 1.6L V6 until now, but I did know about the 2.0L. Nissan had its 2.0 straight 6, Mazda the 1.8L in the MX-3, Toyota put a 2.0 six in the IS (though not in North America). That last one is interesting to me because you could also get a 2.0 four banger in that car, and the 4 was the hotter engine.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Vettes are still fiberglass...

Injection-molded plastic since the C4. Haven't you ever heard someone refer to the Vette as the 'Plastic Fantastic'?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You Am I posted:

I reckon V8 Commodore utes are the Harley equivalent in the car world. Driven by wankers who love having heaps of noise and pissing off anyone within earshot.
Looks like a Suzuki Swift/Geo Metro on that frame

That's definitely a first-gen Metro/Swift on there.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm curious as to how similar the new 2.3 EB going into the new mustang is to the MZR & Skyactiv engines; if the EB is still based off the MZR bolt pattern, it might be a relatively easy swap into a Miata (hopefully including the ND), or an RX-8. Mmmm, 310 HP Miata. :fap:

As I understand it, the 2.3EB is the basis for the new 2.0EB that's debuting in the next Edge. It shares bore-centers with the current 2.0 Ecoboost (an MZR derivative) and nothing else.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 15, 2014

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Terrible Car: GMC Yukon XUV. I saw this last night, I think it's one of about 3 GM actually sold. It cured the need nobody had -- a convertible rear section in an SUV. :bravo:

That's an Envoy, not a Yukon.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

plus a 3.1L chevrolet boat anchor

A 300hp 3.1, or so he claims...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Raluek posted:

This reminds me, I've been idly wondering if anyone's made aftermarket heads that stuck an overhead cam or two on a small block chevy. I love the compactness and lightness of OHV as much as anyone, but if OHC/DOHC is really that much better from a performance standpoint, surely you could use custom heads and front cover to make your one-of-one race motor?

Not the same thing, but there's a company that sells aluminum 4 valve OHV heads for the 5.7L LT1 motors.