Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Aurune posted:

This definitely qualifies for this thread.

"Drifting a Celica"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQvZNay27fo

In this video you will find.
1) This video performed by professionals.
2) Trying to "Drift" a front wheel drive car.
3) Complete and utter failure to do a handbrake turn
4) Trying to be funny.
5) Getting under a car supported only by a scissor jack.
6) Failing to understand how and why they failed.

I can't believe how many times I said the word "stupid" during that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Voltage posted:

I really wish they would make stripper cars nowadays. As much as I love alcantara and teak with subtle hints of nappa leather, an absolutely gutted car with a big fat engine would be my dream car. So many times you need to pony up a lot of extra cash for a "package" to allow for a bigger engine, turbo, LSD, etc. Give me a Mustang, Vette, or Focus ST with every performance option, but put in the base cloth seats, no navi or automatic anything. Cheap speed is the best speed.

Also for content, I saw these two seperate G6's on the same day while I was on long island:

How are those taillights legal, like at all?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Zeether posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard a "Mamma mia" at one point. Poor guy.

And a "Madonna!"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Saw this at work today, in the parking garage. Barely visible in the hatch area is the bare plywood sub "box":

Closer on the fender:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Not just a bed stack, but a hot pink bed stack, and those stupid KMC Rockstar wheels with the hideous center cap; now also painted pink. This was one of several trucks/SUV's that came together(they all had that turbo sticker in the rear window), but it was definitely the worst.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 22, 2013

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A Jeep absolutely covered in Juggalo garbage.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Captain McAllister posted:

Uh, I see no trailer hitch on the silver car...but do see a car headed the same direction as the other two, but on the other side of the concrete barrier (i.e...wrong way).

Probably an express lane, with another lane past the next barriers going the other way. I-80 in north Jersey has a few sections like that.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Stupid plate at work.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Kind of car-ish, but seen in the parking garage at work. Bottom level in a handicap spot and covered with a regular motorcycle cover...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I'm barely able to walk many days and I still wouldn't be seen on a Can-Am.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Spotted a couple of blocks from my house:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Bucephalus posted:

I graduated high school in 1990, so there are nearly-25-year-old cars that register with me as "fairly new". :corsair:

I am seriously considering putting Classic/Antique plates on my Miata next year when it turns 25.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fattig posted:

Also; saw this thing the other day (in glorious :sweden: if you can believe it). Did the techs at Toyota have a bad flashback and decide to stretch the Lexus SC?

Not worse than a Murano conv. though.

That's a pretty standard (if boring) Camry Solara. Out a few years before the SC430; 1998 in fact. Basically just a convertible Camry.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CharlesM posted:

That reminds me, the other day I noticed the first-gen CTS-V has 6 lug wheels. I never knew passenger cars used 6 lugs. The Smart on the other hand uses 3.

The Viper also uses 6-lug wheels.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Prescription Combs posted:

Just pollen things. :palmon:

I just washed it a few days ago, too. :(

This is why I'm so happy my new house has enough garage space for all of the cars. I own three black vehicles at this moment including my R-Spec Genesis. When the trees start sexing all over my stuff, I know it's only a prelude to the bug swarms.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

corn in the fridge posted:

I just wanted to get home and it was the hard steel line that had gone so I had to cap off the circuit right at the master cylinder. :(

The car was also unregistered, not inspected, obviously nowhere near road worthy, and I was running plates on it that I had borrowed from another Ford Probe :mrgw:

Holy poo poo I remember when you did this. In the end, your dad's Probe turned out pretty awesome though...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ether Frenzy posted:

What's this? Is someone driving a F40 in traffic on the 101?

No, it's a non-twin turbo 300zx

And the plate matches this one.
http://www.oddimotive.com/2014/01/at-least-its-not-fiero-300zx-f40-kit-car.html

Somebody either:
A) Drove that from PA to CA
B) Paid to have that thing transported from PA to CA

Either option was a waste of time and money.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

corn in the fridge posted:

it is insanely cool to me that about every 10 pages in just about every thread in AI there's a whole page devoted to a bunch of idiot americans boasting about driving manual it's just a loving car get over yourselves

Agreed. Most of the rest of the world is just now getting autos as a regular thing. My stepmom (who is in her 60's) was excited recently to finally be able to purchase an automatic Hyundai Elantra in Brasil.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Giblet Plus! posted:

I worked with a dude who also had one of those. His dash would randomly just turn off while driving, and it burned oil straight off the lot.

I test drove a new Dart when they first came out because I was interested in the 1.4 turbo motor with the 6-speed. So the salesman is going over all the features and yadda yadda and we leave the lot and I point the car towards a nice twisty road to wring it out. I got 500 feet from the dealership and the car made a horrible SCREE CLICK noise, the gauges on the dash went full sweep a couple of times, and the dash shut off entirely. The salesman went pale as a ghost and I turned around and took the car back to the lot. Two moths later they called me and said the dashboard was fixed if I wanted to come in for another test drive. That second drive never happened. This was on the tail end of some bad Chrysler experiences (a shameful ownership of a PT Cruiser and a VW Routan which was a Town and Country in disguise and ended up making GBS threads all the sliding door electrics and rear gate latch mechanism within 10k miles), and it really cemented my decision to never buy a Chrysler again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

loving USPS. Come home from 15 hours at work to find this horse poo poo in my yard. I have a perfectly good paved driveway with a huge turnaround at the end, there is no reason to be in the loving grass. This rut is easily 50 feet long.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sagebrush posted:

so are you one of those obsessive lawn guys who sprays like 50 different chemicals and keeps it exactly 2.3" long year round or what

No, but it's still irritating that the USPS asshats can't stay on the driveway. Add to that the fact that I have natural springs in the yard and people keep dragging the corpses of their crippled cars into the yard and well, it just becomes an ugly lovely mess. Should I just not give a poo poo about idiots tearing it up?
This Prius ended literally on top of the spring:

Here you can see how easy it would be to not be in the grass. Look at how much paved area there is...

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 9, 2016

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ska sucks.
Ska revival isn't cool you stupid fucks.
The bands are only in it for the bucks.
And if you don't believe me you're a schmuck.
The trend will die out with any luck.

The Bosstones are rad as hell. I used to go to at least one punk/ska show a week in the 90's and it was great fun.
Content: my truck is on the right and I came out to this Nissan Rogue kissing my bumper.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So it's ok to use the "stop moving when you hear a crunch" parking technique now. Got it. If I had been not over the line you guys would post a pic complaining that my truck was sticking out a foot into the driving lane of the parking garage. Can't win.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

glynnenstein posted:

I'd get it if you took a ding on a door, but I just don't get caring about bumper stuff. It's gonna happen. Maybe I'm just fully acclimated to parking in DC where playing bumpercar front and back to fit into a spot it took 2 hours to find is SOP and you either A) install a bumper buddy thing, B) dgaf.

I don't care that they touched the bumper on my 14 year old 215k mile truck except that it's the same type of person who just doesn't pay attention to any of the other aspects of driving or parking. Say what you want about me being over the line by three inches, I accept that, but at least I was actually thinking about other drivers and pedestrians in the garage.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They just used all the space you left them. If they were there first, whatever. But you were first, and they were also just trying to not stick their rear end out. Maybe.

Fair point. Let's all kiss and make up. Accept this pic of a Prius in my yard after it took itself out hitting an Amish hay wagon by way of an apology.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

CommieGIR posted:

I sent an email to RCR about my cars, and never heard anything back. I love listening to his pholosophical rants, but yeah, its been kinda...meh, recently.

I did also and I figured he'd respond since I am also in PA but nothing...oh well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

opengl128 posted:

The worst plate crime I see locally that bugs the poo poo out of me (in PA) is people who plaster their plates with registration stickers. Like, instead of just having their current sticker in the indentation in the top left corner, and maybe having a few layered there or god forbid removing the old one before sticking the new one, they cover every square inch of plate that doesn't have a letter/number with stickers from the past 10 years. Looks so doofy. I guess it doesn't matter anymore since they aren't sending stickers out anymore.

Thank god they aren't sending those drat stickers anymore. Half the time I would forget to pull it out of the little pocket in the envelop and spend the next year fretting about an anal retentive cop.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rhyno posted:

His head was on fire before he popped the hood...

As I waited for the gif to load I was thinking this was metaphorical because he was just rushing to fix whatever was going on with the car. I underestimated Russia once again.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

slidebite posted:

Kind of related, but how often do you guys check your mirrors? I am constantly scanning mine... don't know if it's a side effect of being a bike rider or what but I can't imagine not noticing that for 3/4 of a mile, even if you didn't feel the impact.

Constantly, but honestly I can't imagine missing something like that just from the way it feels. I know the sense of impact/scale is different in a big truck but holy poo poo. If you scale it down I think I'd notice hitting a motorcycle.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Minor idiocy in the parking garage today. The hatched area is the end of the row in the garage, right by the entrance and furthest away from the door to the hospital. It used to be a spot but people kept running into cars parked there so they made it a no-parking area. If you zoom in closely you can see the handicap placard in the windshield. There were at least six open handicap spots by the door...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Darchangel posted:

Nah, 10mm is too big. It'll round it off if it's too tight, or wedge the socket onto the head. 10mm is like dead between 3/8" and 7/16".
5/16" - 8mm though is a go, as is 7mm - 7/32".
It matters less when you get up into bigger sizes, where the sheer size of the bolts lets you get away with more sloppiness. 17mm - 11/16" for example. And for the flywheel nut (yes, there's just the one) on my RX-7s, I have a 2-1/8" socket rather than the correct 54mm, because it was easier to find and cheaper to buy in America.

I still have a 54mm laying around from my younger years ripping apart rotaries. I actually found it at a Sears probably 15 years ago.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

At first glance, not so bad. A Pontiac G8 with a matte wrap

But then we get closer...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Shrapnig posted:

Other than manual cars I'm assuming.

This. My WRX has a regular handbrake, for example.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Finger Prince posted:

Go buy a shovel

gently caress that. It’s probably solid ice by now. I’d be annoyed too.

Alternatively:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm left handed and driving a RHD car (in a RHD country) and it's just normal for me. Driving a LHD car would just be weird for a while, I'm not entirely sure I'd be a 'better' driver either.

I’m lefty as well and I drive LHD in the US but two years ago when I went to the UK I had no problem switching to the other side. The hardest part was walking to the correct side of the car in a car park. Driving was intuitive.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, my grandmother told me once that she had that same physical therapy.
It was called a ruler to the hand whenever she wrote with her left.

The nuns couldn’t break my grandmother. She was the only other lefty in the family. Semi-related RHD vs LHD question: I’m planning on doing a big trip next year in Europe, starting with buying a cheaper car in England then going down to the continent for at least a month. How awkward is it to drive RHD in the wrong lanes?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Solar Coaster posted:

Alternately, on most cars now built (within the last 20 years) the pointer on the fuel guage will be pointing in the same direction as where the tank is. Ie, if the point is on the left, tank is on the left.

Or drive a Miata where it’s on top of the rear fender and the car is so small it doesn’t matter anyway.

The one that always gets me is my Suburban which is on the driver’s side ALL THE WAY at the back of the truck and has no indication inside as to which side the tank is on. I drive it so infrequently that I inevitably forget.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I leave the headlights on all the time on both my Subarus and I’m always a little put off when I get into a car that doesn’t turn the headlights off automatically when the key is turned off. Although it’s interesting that my WRX has crazy bright gauges regardless of headlight position (of course the gauges are dimmable) but the FXT has barely-lit gauges even at max illumination. I usually have the WRX at full bright in the daytime and at least one click back at night, which reduces the illumination by about 50%.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I got a message from someone offering me 50% of my asking price on the Mini I’m selling because “the car is 15 years old”. They haven’t even come to look at it. Just a straight up gently caress you offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I guess I’m lucky that all the gas stations have free air in my area for the rare time I have to do it away from home. At home I just use the big compressor