Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
When I gutted the interior of my H1 for restoration, Many of the interior panels had notes on the inside written in silver market.

I think I got a "Hi Amy" on a door panel in the closet. I was told it was common for workers at AM General to pass notes this way on trucks moving through the line.

UAW local 5 represent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

I heard one time that the Ford F-series and E-series all used the same one-hundred and some odd combinations, making things easy if you had a big enough key ring.

Add Hummer H1 to that list, ford truck key with 4 bits on the blade. Just get the big ford truck ring out from the locksmith and a few minutes...

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Computer viking posted:

You'd think a normal hand-pull parking brake would be within their manufacturing capabilities.

Wasn't a required military specification in the 80's. But it did have a parking break, just no transmission parking prawl. They had it as an option. The first generation HMMWV's were 3 speed trans with a parking brake configured on the rear prop shaft. Dumb idea but you do what you have to do to meet the cost requirements set by the government. The commercial Hummers /H1's had the more expensive setup with the parking brake configured to actuate the springs on the rear calipers and a parking prawl on the transmissions.

Most modern HMMWV's have park on the transmission [there's 40+ different HMMWV variants], but it depends on if you got something made since the A2 revision in the early 90's or get stuck with some old 80's claptrap that usually gets shuttled down to National Guard units or surplussed off.

As for the H2/H3 things, the H2 actually has a unique GMT chassis specific to it, obviously the approach/departure/break over angles would require something different than a Suburban/Tahoe, there is a bunch of one off parts for it, but the electrics and drive train components are standard GMT. H3's are the same deal with a specific chassis for it vs the rest of the Colorado line.

People will poo poo on them but they go anywhere where our club goes and we got everything from H1's and Unimogs, Jeeps, FJ's etc. Never had a problem with the H2*'s/H3's keeping up. They're cheap, they all come with a rear eaton e-locker and if you keep an eye out for an adventure series you can get one with the air/tire pump and the front lockers as well. And most of them are street driven so they are hardly beat up.

*-actually there was one guy we had an issue with, he had a bro-dozer H2 and wouldn't listen to directions, but in general I found it as with anything, its more on the driver skill than the actal machine. I've seen enough stuck/broke down 4x4's of other/makes/models out there, but it doesn't bother me, if i had the money I'd have one of everything. Well maybe not :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Do any car rental companies in the US put winter tires on their cars? I'm pretty sure the rental I got when I was visiting Toronto had winter tires on it, but that may be the law up there.

While in Vancouver, I use car2go alot. It blew me away that they put the Alpine rated tires on the Smart cars, then again they probably have enough customers taking them up to the different ski-resorts in the area. I tried driving one up to Squamish halfway to Whistler and I was like :stare:

Most of the rentals I had in Canada have M+S rated tires at a minimum.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

still looks stupid imo

I found what happens is someone gets a "smokin' deal" on a rims and tires combo without regard or care to what backset they are :)

It's great, I'm the guy running out and buying up the OEM tire/rim combos to use on older vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Raluek posted:

More importantly, why is there a rear plate (stickers) on the front of the car?

It's a UK car? [RHD, and UK plates] I'm guessing the CA plate is there for decoration.

I'm guessing unless I missed something.