Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just don't understand the point of giving a wagon such a high centre of gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EightBit posted:

:iceburn:

The Sebring is the unholy spawn of people that don't give a poo poo about cars but think "Convertible! ooh oooh oooooh :btroll:"

"I like it, it's sporty!"

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Uhh, didn't Chrysler license the front design from Bentley for that car?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I like this comparison. It looks like the before/after pictures on a weight loss infomercial.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
He's lucky he got some brake in there at the end. Honestly that whole crash could have gone a lot worse.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EightBit posted:

Did he lose steering right there?

Not entirely sure but I think he might have lost steering right around 0:27.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Powershift posted:

nissan murano crosscabriolet. Pretty much the most awesome vehicle since the AMC eagle, too many people here just haven't realized it yet.

Yup. Also those wheels fit that car quite well.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Cool: Installing that body kit and fat rear tires to cope with a huge turbo up front

Not cool: Anything else.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
TTFUN :D

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I dunno that all looks like a lot of fun to me.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just hate the kind of person that needs both a tomb-silent luxury car and a raspy race exhaust sound.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I love going to a chain place like Longhorn Steakhouse or O'Charleys. The parking spaces are absolutely enormous. There will be like 4-5 feet on each side, even with my sedan.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I too get unreasonably upset at my neighbors because I can't afford modern windows on my house.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Windshield replacement is one of those things that it really is better to just pay a pro. Same with mounting/balancing tires.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I seem to remember someone getting a dose of phosgene too

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
This is Kentucky. There's probably a radar detector plugged-in.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's literally the antagonist from a Pixar film.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Until you try Aquapel and then never buy Rain-X again.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My $40 remote start had that as a feature. I went ahead and turned it on. I kinda like it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
ELO may actually be the one classic rock band that NOBODY hates.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

drgitlin posted:

A future of self-driving cars is a future I don't really want any part of, tbqh.

Totally disagree. I'll happily trade my gearhead hobbies for the luxuries that self-driving cars would provide. Imagine renting an RV and being able to relax on vacation while careening down the road at 120mph confident that you won't wreck or be wrecked into. You could let the vehicle drive overnight and wake up in a different city each day, ready to explore. Imagine going out to the bars with a group of friends and nobody has to DD. Hell, you'd be able to drink while en route at least theoretically. Also being able to surf the web or watch TV while commuting to work would be amazing. Due to the fact that you don't need to see out the windows anymore, cars could become totally private mobile rooms. The sheer volume of lives saved is just icing on top. Add to it that car insurance would theoretically cease to exist and car ownership wouldn't even be a requirement anymore, just call up a self-driving car on your smartphone and it arrives within minutes. Thanks to car sharing, roads open up and congestion is reduced. Commute times are shortened due to the fact that traffic lights would be obsolete and the vehicles can drive as fast as traction and wear will allow.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

PCOS Bill posted:

I'm singling this sentence fragment out because it makes it clear you're a destination, not journey, kind of guy, and while that's okay for you, it's not okay for everyone.

Yeah I dunno but it seems to me like the journey is going to be a lot better when you can move freely about the cabin, not wearing a seatbelt, and look freely at the sights because you're not having to focus on steering the car.

The point I was making though, is however unfortunate the demise of gearhead culture may be, the benefits to society are far, far greater. Thirty-four thousand people died in cars in 2012 and nearly 100% of those deaths would have been avoided with self-driving cars.

I have to say that I don't generally enjoy driving in the slightest except when I'm on an empty backroad which comprises a tiny fraction of my overall driving. The rest of the time I am a nervous wreck. I'm not sure how people drive where you live, but where I live I see cars veering into incoming traffic almost every single day.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 27, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

joat mon posted:

This is why private ownership of cars will disappear, except for the very rich - the continuing safety and maintenance requirements will be closer to that of aircraft. Sure, you can sit on a couch and watch Transformers 17 with the windows closed as you get past the Blue Ridge Parkway and the car will download a google-map like interactive experience of your drive for you (for a mere $159.95 enhanced experience charge), but you won't be doing it in your own car.

Yep. It's not really a happy thought initially, but again the benefits to society are much better than the (admittedly horrible) downsides.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The only thing that would make the Crosscabriolet better is if it had four doors. It's really neat though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Having been rear-ended at a light in a car WITH headrests and dealing with 1+ year of neck pain that picture just terrifies me.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That is the video equivalent of photocopying an iPad.

Also staged.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Guessing the back half of a truck frame was welded onto the unibody and then a bed stuck on top and an axle installed. I doubt the rear brakes even work.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Haha someone's uncle drives this.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I always wanted to test drive a V6 probe. I used to have an MX-3 and they're practically the same car but the Probe had a bigger V6.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just couldn't make the sacrifices involved in driving a German luxury sedan every day.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There are I believe legitimate electric superchargers now but they cost at least as much as a real turbo kit and the hardware is no joke.

I'd be interested in the process for doing a from-scratch build. I'm guessing the primary challenge is generating enough amps?

EDIT: Here's some content. Some silly person on Jalopnik wants to build this:

revmoo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 23, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wrap is sick. It is decided.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Wait, that's real?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's funny how impossible it is to get an LSD in BMW late-model cars. With their older models you just grab one of the millions floating around for 300 bucks and chuck it in. Ultimate Driving Machine indeed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

DrPain posted:

A friend sent me this.

This is how automatics should be. The stupid console shifter is idiotic and takes up space. It's nothing more than a switch anyway.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Terrible rant stuff. I made the questionable decision to drop off my E36 at Big O Tire for an alignment, mostly because they're 2 blocks from my house. I have new tie rod ends I wanted installed so I brought them with and asked how much to install them. 165 dollars! That's double the cost of the alignment, and since they have to loosen them to do an alignment anyway, they're basically charging 165 to do two freaking bolts. Needless to say I passed on that opportunity.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
"What's your cheapest price" is expecting me to do your negotiations for you. Against myself. Put in some effort CL buyers, sheesh.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A U-joint failed on my lovely used explorer. IT'S A LEMON!!!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Basically if you buy a mid-90s GM or Ford vehicle and the driveshaft is the only thing that falls off, you're doing pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Powershift posted:

That's 99 or newer :goonsay:

:drat: