Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How does aiming for two maneuvers work? Specifically the targeting bits of the opponent to hinder him? It looks like one aim gets your target two black dice, but two aims gives him one? Do they keep the black die penalty for the entire encounter when you aim twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
For some reason, I completely missed that the person who got the setback dice was the person doing the aiming. At least that explains why two maneuvers meant fewer dice. Follow up question, what's the effect of crippling/disarming someone via a called shot? Since you don't get the blue dice from that sort of aim, you're effectively going 3 steps in the black dice axis (not exactly, since black and blue don't directly cancel, but you get my meaning hopefully).

Since a blue die is on average 1/3 of a success and 2/3rds of an advantage, and a black die is 1/3rd of a fail and 1/3rd of a threat, a called shot gets you a net fail and 4/3rds of a threat when compared to a conventional aimed shot.

You do gain a boon that would normally be 3 advantage to buy, but you maybe skip doing all your weapon damage to the target (shooting a dude's gun probably doesn't do damage to the dude), and you probably get nothing at all if you end up with a net failure. I'm sure there's a multidimensional plot of user skill, shot difficulty, weapon damage, soak, etc that you could make to figure out the specific circumstances where a called shot is in your favor, but I would guess that it's way more helpful for your overall goals if you just aimed at and shot the guy normally in drat near every situation.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 19, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

I believe I know the answer, but just looking for confirmation, but if I am getting shot at, and have a choice between increasing range by 1 (to add a difficulty die) or diving into cover (to add a setback die) I am better off adding a difficulty die, correct?

Yep. A black die is a third of a failure and a third of a threat. A difficulty die is half a failure and three-quarters of a threat.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Wow, that is drastically different from the unofficial guide, stat-wise.

I don't think I like them going too crazy with the stat blocks. The one three, a bunch of twos and a one statline is a little boring, but keeping the characters on a more even footing seems like it's better for actual play. Have they released an official race of murderhobos with a 441111 stat line yet?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
That's dumb. Character creation is the only time you can directly spend XP on stats, so use as much of your starting XP as mathemtically possible on bumping them.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What edge of the empire career/spec would you pick for a Clint Eastwood-style gunfighter? Quick Draw, Rapid Reaction and Side Step are all pretty good talents in the Smuggler/Scoundrel tree, but I don't see anything else in the whole smuggler career that screams 'gunfighter' to me. Hired Guns all have Ranged(Light), and there's certainly some good stuff in the Mercenary Soldier (True Aim :swoon:)/Marauder/Bodyguard trees. The bounty hunter career has Gadgeteer (which has Ranged(Light) for handguns and Coercion for gruffness) and can buff the heck out of your weapon/armor with is great for your effectiveness, and assassin's got some nice talents for sneakiness, quickdraw and shooting people who go after you in initiative.

Anyone got some tips?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Clearly you should wait for the Marshall.

I would like to, but my game starts this evening. I am kind of surprised that Marshall didn't end up in the Bounty Hunter career, since that would seem like the natural fit for someone out to pursue them a space desperado.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 9, 2014

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Prefect Six posted:

What are people's thoughts about the unofficial menagerie? How do people feel about the balance or lack thereof?

They're fine. I honestly think the species UOM's model of '322221' is more balanced than some of the official '332211' races that have been released.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Prefect Six posted:

How do you guys conceal being force sensitive form other players? I'm about to start a campaign and one guy wants to be force sensitive, but I talked him into keeping it a secret. Do you just not mention when you give him a boost die on perception checks? Or do you just tell the players and expect them to roleplay?

I'd say don't conceal it from the players at the table. It's just not that interesting. Also aside from Move, I don't think any of the Force powers presented thus far would actually be noticeable to an outside observer.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

Doesn't that heavily encourage all your players to spend their entire starting XP on stat ups?

Yes.

You can buy a single stat up with the dedication talent at the bottom of each talent tree you buy access to though.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

alg posted:

Why release Age of Rebellion over July 4th, FFG :negative:

Declare your independence from the Empire?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

homullus posted:

In my experience, melee is still very strong as long as the PCs don't get ambushed in an open field. Yes, it sucks to close to melee, but if you built the character for melee, you have amazing Soak and will absolutely wreck dudes once you're there.

That's the key. You can half rear end being a ranged combatant (give the guy with 2 agility and no skill a blaster pistol and he might kill somebody if he aims), but you absolutely cannot half rear end a melee fighter. Going into melee means you're going to get shot a lot, so you need to have built for high soak and wounds so that you survive that process long enough to absolutely ruin everybody with your axe.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

Picked up my copy of Far Horizons today (The colonist sourcebook). Any requests for information from it?

It may have already been mentioned elsewhere, but what are the colonist signature abilities like?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

jivjov posted:

Its a brand new spec tree, and yeah it has a handful of new talents, including Good Cop and Bad Cop.

So I'm guessing a bonus to charm and coercion respectively?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Carteret posted:

The race selection is pretty great, as well. :allears:

Can you be a Yoda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
My opinion might change when I get F&D, but from the other two books, the most useful force power stuff I've seen are all 'Commit a force die for something awesome' type powers or the amazing utility you can get from Sense, Forsee or Influence.

quote:

This also means you are wasting your action more then half the time you try to use a power, and still an absolutely inexcusable amount of the time even at higher force rating levels.

This is especially crazy with something like Move. I might either do nothing whatsoever or I might roll enough pips to instantly end the encounter. That feels too swingy. I don't feel too bad about the opposed rolls, mainly because without it, a force user wouldn't actually need any stats or skills at all, so they could just go whole hog on the force trees.

quote:

Not true; the other results on the force dice aren't blank. They're simply results you have to pay a price to use.

Force the in combat stuff, one pip (light or dark) usually doesn't do anything of merit. If you're rolling only one force die, only 1/3rd of your checks will get the two pips you need to accomplish something (and one of those will be dark side pips, so you'll have to spend strain and a destiny point).

I was curious so I scripted a little Trolldice expression to check how things worked with more force dice.

Obviously you get at least as many pips as dice you roll (since none of the faces are blank). To keep this from being too long, I'll only concern myself with total pip count.

1 Force die -> 1 pip 66.7% of the time, 2 pips 33.3% of the time
2 Force dice -> 2 pips 44.5% of the time, 3 pips 44.4% of the time, 4 pips 6.9% of the time
3 Force dice -> 3 pips 25.5% of the time, 4 pips 44.4% of the time, 5 pips 22.1% of the time, 6 pips 3.8% of the time

Since your first force die is literally 20XP away from a starting character, I don't know that I feel too badly that it's really crappy at actually accomplishing anything. Your second and third force dice cost 75/100xp and 135/105 (if you started as an exile or an emergent), but once you're there you can start some serious poo poo. 80 XP into move and 3 pips will let you club someone over the head with a loving YT-1300 at medium range. 300 XP (for 80 points in move and getting up to 3 force dice) is as expensive as buying every box in a career, so that's not even insanely expensive when you come right down to it. Calling 150XP 'Knight level' is probably lowballing it though.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 14, 2014

• Locked thread