Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What does come with the GM's kit, apart from the screen? It doesn't have dice, does it? I'm in Australia, trying to find the basic stuff for Edge of the Empire (thinking of picking up the beginner's kit and the core rulebook at least), but everything here is so expensive :smith: $20 for a set a dice if I buy them from EBay, not including shipping :( anyone in Australia have an alternative website that's decent to buy from and won't screw me on shipping?

edit: VVV ah, thanks. Guess I might skip out on it for the moment then, see how it goes after the first few sessions.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What's the astromech's obligation? I don't have the game (yet) so I can't help unfortunately, but a droid having obligations sounds like it has the potential for hilarity.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

CobiWann posted:

...oh my God. Droid Obligations? I never thought about that...

The characters all have to start with Obligation, don't they? From what I've read of the core book it gives the example of a Droid with a Debt obligation to pay off buying their own freedom.

Personally, I was imagining an Astromech with an online gambling addiction :getin:

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Endman posted:

If anyone's in a strange place (like Australia), Book Depository has the Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook for a very reasonable price ($46.95AUD) here.

I usually takes between one and two weeks for books to arrive to where I live (Tasmania).

They've also got the GM screen here.

Phoneposting so I'm not sure where to check; do you know how long this sale's on for? I'm going to get the core EotE book + beginner game for my birthday hopefully, but at the discounted price I'm considering picking up one of the dice packs while they're cheap ahead of time.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

With all the droid chat that's been going on, I think I'll put together a droid slicer with a predilection for "freeing" systems from the shackles of encryption.

EDIT: Why does the Slicer tree have talents for breaking through security systems if they don't have access to Skulduggery?

I think it gets covered by Computers.

edit: to add to it: the core rulebook defines skulduggery more as physical, real-world crime: picking locks, using disguises, setting traps. Computers covers computer things (duh), including altering a droid's programming, searching through computer records (especially if encrypted), or bypassing/unlocking security systems. To me, at least, that's how you qualify a slicer using Computers for one of their specialization skills.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 13, 2014

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Works for me. Also I found the perfect droid for this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/G2_repair_droid

As someone who had to wait in line for that ride, you've made an excellent choice for a droid with personality. Just make sure your other crew members don't shut you down themselves!

On another subject: is it possible/easy/advisable to slot in custom PCs for the beginner adventure? I'd like to use the beginner adventure to get my new-to-EotE PCs accustomed to the game, but I'd also prefer it if I could get them to use characters that they made and use the adventure as a kickoff for the campaign. I don't actually have the beginner game yet, so I can't check if it addresses that very question.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Fuzz posted:

The Beginner Adventure has a specific stipulation about using your own PCs, namely that it's totally fine. Keep in mind that the pre-made characters are all a bit further along, experience wise, so you might want to tone down some of the encounters.

awesome. Though the beginner adventure has been noted as being easy; I assume that's because of the prebuilt characters' experience/abilities?

edit: so I mean, will using fresh PCs be that much more difficult?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Excelsiortothemax posted:

You can drop your action to another maneuver. So you can get 3 maneuvers with the strain.

I don't think that's right. Pg200 of EotE core book:

quote:

However, regardless of the source, a single character may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn.

emphasis original.

edit: and to elaborate, page 203 under "exchange an action for a maneuver":

quote:

A character may exchange his action for an additional movement during his turn. He may then perform any maneuver he would be able to perform normally, following all the rules that govern maneuvers. However, he still may not perform more than two maneuvers during his turn, no matter how he gained access to them.
(emphasis mine)

So yeah, even with turning an action into a maneuver, it's never possible/legal to have more than two maneuvers.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 4, 2014

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Ran my first session last night, 5 original PCs in the beginner game. It went pretty well, they all seemed to have fun and the dice were well received. The only things that slowed the game down somewhat were space combat and coming up with advantage/threat interpretations. I imagine we'll all get better at it with time, and I'm trying to encourage my group to say what they're doing with some narrative flair.

Bearing in mind my group are still new to RPGing (having only done two sessions of D&D before EotE), should I try to dissuade them from constantly referring to their sheets? It slows things down and I'd like to encourage more RP rather than letting their numbers decide the group's action. I realise they're all new to the sheets, just wondering if it's something to watch.

They're all excited to keep playing, so that's a plus! I'm going straight into Long Arm of the Hutt next, then once they're a bit more comfortable with the system I'll start to alternate original/adventure book stories I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Tendales posted:

Space Combat is one of the game's weak points, sadly. Well, to be fair, every Star Wars game has lovely space combat. It's just kind of the nature of the beast; if you've got five people on one ship, what are they all going to do?

For advantages and threats, you might try making a quick list of good/bad things that can happen in each scene. Maybe stormtroopers could bust in, maybe a power conduit could explode, whatever. Then, whenever you've got advantage or threat that you don't know what to do with, you can just grab something off that list.

Don't worry too much about players reading stuff off their sheets; doing the things your character is good at is part of the game. On the other hand, prompt them to be more than just the character sheet. When they say 'I unlock that door' don't go straight to the roll, say 'Great! How? Do you go straight for the mechanism, or do you go through the terminal?' You don't need them to be method acting all the time, but make sure everything's descriptive enough that everyone can really imagine what's going on.

Yeah, the space battle was let down by me not being completely versed in the different actions/manoeuvres everyone could make, the rules of speed etc. And just general burnout from a slightly-too-long session. Next session I'm making cheat sheets for space combat. And advantage/threat ideas!

At this point I'm mostly trying to keep them from turning it all into numbers. One of my PCs in particular seems like he wants to powergame, so I'm trying to steer him more toward just enjoying the game. Last night, after an extended conferring session in which they still hadn't decided on an action, I told them to just put the sheets down and tell me what they want to do. I figure it gets them out of their sheets and lets them think of something in-story.

Thank y'all for the advice!

• Locked thread