Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
From my understanding, FFG has the rights to distribute a book, but not digital media. So no, there won't be a PDF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I ordered my book and am tracking the order, and it says the book weighs 2 pounds, which I think is wrong. :ohdear:

Should I be worried?

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It should be 4 at least, but I wouldn't actually worry about it. It could just mean whomever you ordered it from is trying to cheat on shipping costs.

I'll try not to worry about the weight thing. I ordered from CoolStuffInc, and it was cheaper than normal. So you might be right in thinking they cheated on costs.

treeboy posted:

my best friend sent me the core book for my birthday last week, it's honestly one of the nicest rulebooks i've ever owned (and a sick gift). Still digging into the rules, but I'm blown away by the amount of subject matter they've covered even with such a limited scope of the Star Wars universe.

The quality is fantastic too, great art, seems to be pretty sturdy binding (kinda hard to tell until you've had it awhile), nice thick glossy pages, and it *smells* good. That's a really weird thing to say but it's true.

From what I've heard, they used really high quality paper for the book. I don't usually buy physical copies of anything but I felt alright with buying this book because:

A. It's a new(and very well made, mechanically) Star Wars game

and B. It is a VERY pretty book, and it seems to have literally everything you need to run a game in the Outer Rim.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

So, I have the book now, and I like it a lot. My only real issue I have with it is that it feels like a bit of a waste to not put every experience point you can into attributes at character creation. I could probably make a perfectly serviceable character WITHOUT doing that, but my inner min-maxer keeps telling me how I'm missing out on that extra green that just makes my character more badass in every way.

I'm thinking that's a more endemic problem with point-buy systems as a whole, but it's really been bugging me when trying to make my *~perfect character~*(that I'll probably never play).

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 17, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

It's not that you can't. You can only upgrade an attribute after chargen by getting the Dedication talent at the bottom of a talent tree, but that's a much bigger investment then what you spend at chargen to increase an attribute.

Edit: I guess I replaced the number you put with the correct one in my head. Characteristics(I don't know why I keep calling them attributes) max out at 6, but you can't have a characteristic higher than 5 at chargen.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 17, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

KomradeX posted:

I heard that they plan on releasing three more books to cover other aspects of the Star Wars universe, any idea on where to get more info about that? And is it possible they're gonna do a splat book or books covering the KOTOR and Legacy era?

The 2 other main books being released are Age of Rebellion, which covers the rebel alliance and the empire, and Force and Destiny, which is the book that covers force users and jedi. They're supposedly going to be released a year apart from each other... but this is FFG we're talking about.

There will be splat books between the main book releases. They're already working on a book called Enter the unknown which (I think)expands all specialization trait trees and offers new races, and new specializations for the Explorer class. So they could cover other eras in splat books, but there haven't been any announcements about that.

Edit: I was just thinking a little more on this; I'm thinking they might release a KOTOR splat, but I really don't think they'll touch legacy. If only because Warner Brothers is probably going to be rebooting everything that happens after the movies completely with episodes 7 to 9.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 17, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

There IS a mention of Zonama Sekot on the galaxy map, and it had 137 ABY in paranthesis. I'm not sure why it was set so far in the future, so I looked it up and... Wow, Star Wars EU is cracktastic. :stare:

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Trandoshans wear armor in-universe, I believe.

When it comes to wookies, I think they can wear armor going by EotE rules. You'll just have to either abstract it, or reflavor it to bandoleers or something.

Or, you can have a wookie that wears clothes.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Winson_Paine posted:

I don't really see why a wookiee couldn't wear armor/clothes? Trandoshans certainly can, Bossk was armored up if I remember my action figures correctly. But as far as wookiees go just because Chewie didn't wear pants doesn't mean you can't.

I'm not saying they can't wear armor, it just seems like a lot of the fiction has wookies not wearing armor, so I was going with that assumption. The same thing could be said for droids, the general assumption is that they're upgrading their hardware, but nothing stops a droid from just putting padded armor over their body if they felt like it.

I guess adding the "have to" made it seem like it was a rule or something. Sorry if it came out like that, I didn't really mean it that way. I did add that you can just have your wookie wear clothes at the end of my post. Which, as you said, doesn't break any rules, really.

alg posted:

This wookiee owns

Yeah, gotta say that that wookie owns.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Well, you could use the Begginner game to get both dice, and the combat rules. Then, there are a fair amount of online talent trees for quick reference. The only thing missing would be character creation rules, and character creation is relatively quick. So you can share the corebook for that part.

I think that should work, but I don't have too much play experience with the Begginner Game. it might be a little off compared to the corebook, because the begginner game is based more on the beta rules then the rules that came out. It should work relatively well for a quick and dirty reference, though.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Some other people seem to have agreed with you. It looks pretty well balanced, so as long as your GM doesn't dismiss unofficial stuff outright, they'll probably be fine with it.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Does anyone know of any podcasts of people playing Edge of the Empire? I want to see the dice system in action so I can get a better handle on how to use advantage and disadvantage in neat ways.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

They kind of cover how nobody really takes droids seriously in the corebook. The only reason droids can move around so freely on the Fringe is that pretty much everyone is unscrupulous in there dealings, so they don't mind who does their dirty work.

The adventure in the back of the corebook contains some droid discrimination, there's an informant that won't talk to any droid characters unless the entire party is made of droids. Even then, he'll only talk to the most human looking one. I do think the "droids are slaves" idea is very apt. A droid's owner can actually free them when they die, which is also covered in the adventure in the back of the core book.

I disagree that a droid's story isn't worth telling, though. Them gaining sentience, or being set free, and how they deal with that and try to make do in a world designed against them can be interesting. I also like all of that stuff that extends naturally from what we know of the Star Wars universe. Even if it isn't covered in the movies, it can still be really interesting to tell those stories.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

homullus posted:

I agree, and saw that in the Core book. My point is that Lucas' world isn't made for that story -- the Rebellion is not one of droids against people, and the Rebellion we have is going to be dominating the released for Edge of the Empire. You could certainly try to tell that story in your own game, and I think it would be interesting, but it would be a radical deviation from canon, as far as I can tell.

But the Edge of the Empire doesn't focus on the rebellion, it focuses on the outcasts of society. The next book, Age of Rebellion, is what covers the rebellion in detail. I think that's reflected in the races available in the book. All of the races, besides humans, in the corebook aren't actually seen in the Rebel Alliance in the movies. Most of them are found in Mos Eisly or on Darth Vader's ship when he hires a group of bounty hunters.

I don't mean to attack you on this or anything, I just think that you can do a lot with the Star Wars universe, or any setting, really.

I admit that this is a lot of :words: for a little side comment, though. :v:

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

The first thing that comes to mind is that it's concealable. Whereas a rifle is pretty obvious.

Also, most classes get ranged light as a class skill, and not ranged heavy.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Speaking of rifles, I just realized making a sniper rifle at chargen is totally possible. I'm totally gonna have to make a sniper character one of these days. :allears:

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Drone posted:

Wait, did I gently caress up chargen a little in the A-Team thread? I rolled a character with Smuggler as the career and Thief/Politico as dual specializations and I'm pretty sure there's no blaster skill whatsoever for either of those two.

Which is a shame, but I guess it's good I splurged a little on increasing my agility. I guess he'll be a naturally decent shot.

It makes character advancement in a ranged skill slightly more expensive, but that should only bother you if you are really into character mechanics exp like I am.

Edit: Characters that don't shoot well can contribute just as much in a game as characters designed to murder things. Also, proficiency dice help you succeed more, but having a good amount of ability dice is more important, really.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 25, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

That's slightly wrong. The force sense ability is essentially a force verison of dodge, and it functions similarly to dodge. Except for the fact that the force sense version causes no strain. Instead, you have to commit a force die to it.

From my understanding, that means you cannot use your force die for anything while using the ability. So, when fully upgraded, it becomes a dodge ability that upgrades the pool to atrack you twice and can be used twice per round.

Edit: Treeboy's post was edited, so this expands on what he said more than anything.

^^It seemed to me his question was talking more about the first ability more than the second, so I mostly talked about that one.^^

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 25, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

treeboy posted:

right. additionally in order to use it twice per round you would need two force dice, which would require a Force Rating of 2 (assuming you wanted to maintain the effects from round to round)

I don't think so. The duration upgrade doesn't look like it costs any force points to use. I'm also pretty sure you can't double activate the ongoing effect sense abilities by committing two force die.

Edit: To expand on that, you can activate the first control ability by committing a force die, and then the other one by committing another force die, but you can't double activate the first ability by committing two force die to it.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

That's what I'm thinking. I think they included the plural on effect so when you get the final power it's also covered under the duration and strength bonuses.

And yeah, I said force points instead of force die in my last post. I don't think you commit force die for the duration and strength upgrade. They usually mention things like that, but they don't say that anywhere.

I'm thinking it's right based on that, and also based on the fact that force powers are REALLY powerful, even if they take more than 100 points to fully utilize(it takes 115 points to get force rating 2, which you need to consistently activate force powers. Then you need to apply more experience to make the force powers themselves good.)

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 25, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

No, that control ability of force sense is essentially a passive ability that is activated when you commit a force die to it. I'm not sure if it takes an action to activate the ability by committing a force die to it. However, I am sure that, once it's activated, it works like the dodge talent does. Except you don't lose any strain when you use it.

It's basically a sub power, you don't use the basic force power when using that move. The same is true for the control power on the other side of the tree, which is used to sense thoughts.

Also, I believe the power stays active until you decide to deactivate it.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 25, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

You can throw a grenade short range, but it hits everything engaged to the target. So if you use a grenade while in a brawl with your target, you'll get hit. You'll be fine otherwise, though. I'm not sure how useful that would be in most situations, though. Besides minions, or when you catch enemies by surprise, I don't see many situations where enemies would be so close together.

A grenade uses the ranged(light) skill, which can be seen in the chart on page 160 or on the gm screen.

Also, on minion damage, I'm fine with the idea that they go down one at a time, personally. I think it'd be kind of weird if you didn't kill any of them and then suddenly they all die.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 25, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, the problem with melee is that there isn't an "opportunity attack"-esque mechanic. This is partially made up by the fact that if your character is specialized in melee you'll probably have critical hits every 2 or 3 attacks, but it can still lead to scenarios where you're just chasing the rifle guy around comically.

Edit:I should also add that that rifle guy has a much easier time hitting you on his turn then you have on hitting him. So there's that.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 31, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Well, a Bowcaster Accelerator has to be buit first, but lets ignore that for now.

If you have an accelerator that fits your bowcaster, you just put it on. When you put it on, you increase its damage by one point.

When you modify the attachment, you have to first get 100 credits worth of materials and make a hard mechanics check. If you succeed, then you install one of the mods listed under Modification options. So you can install 1 +1 damage mod, or 1 Weapon Quality(Pierce +1) Mod.

If you fail the mechanics check, you can't install the mod you were planning to ever again, and if you generate despair(I guess if your GM's a dick and spends a destiny point), you lose the attachment, too.

To summarize, attaching an attachment to your weapon is super easy, modifying the attachment is when the dice come out.

Bowcaster attachments have to be built though, the difficulty on them should be found in the book under any Bowcaster attachment description.

Mendrian posted:

I agree with that in a vacuum, sure, but there are a couple of things that make the engage/disengage dance worth doing:

It ensures that the disengaging character wastes a maneuver to go from Engaged->Close. They have to spend strain to draw a weapon, get to Medium, or Aim. That's a good advantage, but on its own isn't great. If they don't spend the strain to take a second maneuver, your character has lost literally nothing, while they've wasted the opportunity cost of Aiming.

It also means that the ranged members of your crew can probably stay at Medium with regards to the target. This also assures that the target can't go Prone in response to your ranged characters since that would give Melee Guy a big advantage.

There's been at least one time in my game too where a disengage maneuver was legally allowed but which made no seine in the context of the scene. That sort of thing is going to vary by table though.

Even accounting for all of that, when the enemy goes into close range with a rifle, they only have to roll 1 difficulty die in their pool. With baster rifles, that can get REALLY messy really quickly for the Melee Guy.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 31, 2013

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

It makes me wonder why they didn't just put an attack of opportunity mechanic. With that, the Melee Guy has what essentially amounts to a human shield against other ranged attacks, and he's in his element. As far as I can tell, that'd be a pretty good way to balance it all out.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I'd agree with you if most of the enemies would be using melee weapons that generate attacks of opportunity, but pretty much everyone will be using a blaster. Also, I think attacks of opportunity would only be triggered in engaged range. So you wouldn't run into the problem of puzzling out where you can step anyway, because it's all abstracted enough to where you just didn't step too close to anybody.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Ehhhh I would personally hate that and I think it's not really in theme for the game.

Really I think something that makes disengaging unpleasant is probably a fine idea but free attacks are probably poor form. Maybe a character receives a setback die on all actions for the rest of the turn after disengaging from an enemy? And then you could even build talents around the same idea that are designed to increase that penalty.

EDIT: ^^^If you have AoO, you'll end up with more characters using Melee. With even one character per side per encounter using Melee that's a pretty big cost on the backend. I'd rather impose some kind of immediate, passive penalty that you can roll into other actions since that's much friendlier to the system. It doesn't really endorse superfluous dice rolling.

I see where you're coming from when i comes to access rolls on other people's turns and such. I'd be alright with something similar to what you're describing. As long as the cost discourages the issue of the Melee Guy having to chase down the Ranged Guy after they're already engaged. I personally don't think a setback die is really a big enough cost, though. After all, once they're in close range, a difficulty die and a setback die is still easier than the comfort zone of medium range.

This is mostly me just wondering how FFG didn't realize how screwed a melee person can get in their system more than actually house ruling the system, really. :v:

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I'm... pretty ok with how morality works. It tracks a character progress towards the dark/light without taking control away from the player.

It has no teeth, though. The problems with being a darksider are so small they basically don't exist, which I'm personally ok with because then players can role play what they want. Not only that, but the system as written allows for moral darksiders, which is neat, although that might not have been intended.

Oh and when it comes to Jedi stuff. Yeah, you are not gonna be a jedi out the gate, I'm also totally ok with that. The only issue is that the force powers outside of the Commit stuff is SUCH a trap option for a new character because you will succeed less than half the time. It only takes one or two characters to realize it, but it is still annoying.

I do think that a way to get Force Rating 2 at chargen at a cost would help a lot, but I don't know how balanced that'd be.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 14, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

alg posted:

The Emergent in AoR can get FR2 for 75 exp

At Chargen that is most of your EXP.

Which you should totally be spending on characteristics.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

But then to reliably use powers you need about 3 Force Dice.

Which'd require more EXP, and THEN you can start buying some other force powers without it being a waste.

The issue is, "Knight Level Play" starts after gaining 150 EXP, and basically no one will have a Force Rating of 3 at that point. Which feels really odd to me. It just seems like the slow burn to Force Powers might be TOO slow. I'd need to play a F&D game myself for a while to know for sure, though.

-Fish- posted:

Would Force Rating make more sense if you could buy ranks in it with the same cost as characteristics? Xp equal to 10x the rating you're buying?

Right, I was thinking that what could happen is this:

F&D players get a tradeoff similar to AoR and EotE players, if raising the Force Rating to 2 was an option, but they couldn't gain any more credits or Exp at chargen, then it might work.

This means that there's no stacking Force Ratings on top of each other(because FR 4 or 5 is pretty crazy), and there's a larger trade off than 20 exp without being amazingly terrible, I think.

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Trouble is, the way the Move power is set up, you can move an X-Wing or something of similar size at Silhouette 3, which is easy to do if you have the Strength upgrades. Then, you either chuck it at something that's Close to the object you threw, or pick up the ranged upgrade.

So, that's 3 pips to throw a star fighter at a Hard discipline difficulty. Let's see how hard that is to achieve with some pretty rough probabilities I got through someones probability calculator, which used the Monte Carlo method with 100000 samples.

At Force Rating 4 there is about a coinflip's chance of being able to deal up to 30 damage to someone. But that example is kind of ridiculous. Let's go with Silhouette one and say that the enemy is Close to the object. Which means the difficulty to hit is Easy and you do 10 damage.

So at FR 3 that's a bit better than a coin flip and about 12% or so worse than a character specced for hurting people can do straight out of chargen. Force Rating 4 is when it gets a bit silly.

Remember though, there is no difference in cost between Silhouette 1 and Silhouette 4 once you buy the upgrades, same with Range.

I don't know if this will be a problem yet until I play the game for a while. But the Move tree very much gives off the vibe of being utter crap or amazingly good depending on when you use it, with absolutely no middle ground.

• Locked thread