Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

fosborb posted:

It sounds like the GMs are coming up with advantages in your games but that shouldn't be the case.

Players narrate their advantages, GMs narrate the disadvantages.

I'm not sure I understand how this works. Is advantage dictated by the players only during combat or during outside stuff too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

It is used when ever the players roll dice. If they roll advantages or triumphs they can come up with a suitable result and of course the GM can approve or deny.

I guess what I'm wondering is if the PC says "Oh sweet, I rolled two advantage," does the GM have the chance to say something like "then you successfully trip the Trandoshan after hitting him in the face" or is it just player choice on what happens?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

You cannot run forever...

I am having a hard time finding top down images of star wars ships...

That is awesome. I can't wait to eventually be able to run an Imperial campaign to blast some Rebel scum.

Also, seconding the request to share your google docs sheet.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Ran the beginner game last night with my group. I'm really loving the dice, I know they're a bit of a gimmick but they forced me to be creative. There were so many times where, after rolling advantage or threat, I had to come up with some way to put a positive or negative spin on things for my players.

Some (spoilerish) Highlights include:
One PC uses a hapless cantina patron as an alien shield. Gamorrean thug rolls crazy and slices through the unfortunate space-alcohol enthusiast and crits the PC.
The PC's not only bought the HMRI from Vorn but also bought R5-K3, they're new lovable coward of a droid. Typically astromechs cost waaay more (beta book says around 8000 credits) than the PC's had at the time but I gave them a discount because they pointed a gun at Vorn's head and rolled well on a "negotiate" check.
In the cantina, Pash the pilot proceeds to kill every one of the Gamorrean thugs with crazy rolls while drinking space-booze and lounging in one of the booths.
Stormtroopers who were coming to the rescue of Trex, the hissing Trandoshan slaver, were easily taken care of by some "light laser" fire from the Krayt Fang's laser cannons.
41-VEX tried to trick Trex into believing that he and R5-K3 were there to install the HMRI. They fail miserably. 41-VEX than surrenders but manages to secretly pull out a stun grenade while binded. Hilarity ensued.

Overall a very fun system and my group is anxious to play some more. The encounters are definitely too easy in the beginner adventure though, by the time they got to the Trex encounter I added the aforementioned Stormtroopers and Three Gamorrean thugs to the mix and the group still cleaned them up pretty easily.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

The beginner box has a shorter rule book, four character folios, a map of the ship your players get at the end of the adventure and the dice. Honestly, I feel like I got my money's worth out of it considering I picked it up for like 25 bucks but I can see why people would hesitate to pick it up. The beginner box rules don't have character creation rules and a lot of the rules it does have aren't as in depth as they will be during release. If you look around online though you can find the beta rules and the revision updates.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's currently $20 on Amazon. I figure even when the main thing comes out the stubby rulebook should be helpful, plus more dice are always good.

I'm tempted to buy another just for the dice. I won't, but I'm still tempted and more dice is always good.

Does anyone know of any pre made campaigns for any of the older Star Wars RPGs that dealt with outer rim stuff? Mostly what I find deals with Jedi. Really I just want ideas for my own campaign.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I didn't have enough players show up to continue my regular BattleTech campaign so we pulled out the Beginner Game. I GMed and I had 2 PCs - not as many as I would like but it was still a lot of fun. I had read through the included adventure and I did my best to make it less railroady.

I don't think they beat the adventure the way in which it was intended.

My players chose Pash and 41-VEX. In the Cantina, they chose to duck into a booth together. Pash succeeded with his stealth roll, 41-VEX did not. Since they were in the same booth, I ruled that the Gamorreans managed to make out 41-VEX's glowing bits in the darkness and of course saw Pash next to him upon closer examination. In the fight the players rolled an incredible nubmer of threats, which resulted in a few overpenetrating shots destroying booze behind the bar or blowing holes in tables. They won but I played the bartender as being incredibly pissed... until Pash handed him a wad of Credits at which point he decided to be a lot more helpful.

Being all business, the PCs went straight to the junk shop. They successfully convinced the owner that they were sent by Trex to pick up the Hypermatter-whatsit. I couldn't find the price that Trex had promised to pay, so I set it to 500 based on the increased price that you can negotiate with him to buy it instead.

At this point the players chose to split up - 41-VEX went to the landing bay with the part and Pash went to the control tower. Pash successfully managed to lie about being Trex's hired pilot to both the droid guards AND Overseer Brynn. Both of them were very sceptical about the lack of a "Pash" on the list, but he succeeded in his Deceit rolls. Meanwhile, 41-VEX managed to convince Trex that he was sent to install the part. He succeeded in the deceit roll and was let on board by a Trex who was pleased to finally have a way off this craphole.

Pash left to join up with 41-VEX and succeeded in a stealth roll to get past the stormtrooper patrols without being spotted. I let him do this since there was no way a fight with them would have ended well. Upon arrival at the docking bay, Pash told the guards that he was one of Teemo's minions come to speak with Trex. Trex came out to meet him and succeeded in a Perception roll to realize that he remembered what the random minion in question looked like and that Pash definitely did not look like him. Pash drew on him and shot which forced Trex to retreat into his ship.

Pash managed to make it up the ramp and close just short of the security droids reaching it, all while Trex was wailing on 41-VEX with his claws. One of 41-VEX's shots missed with a big number of threats so I ruled that a panel got hit behind Trex and filled the immediate area with obscuring smoke which further made Pash helping out 41-VEX difficult. In the end they defeated Trex without anyone getting knocked out - though they weren't in amazing shape.

Now the fight with the TIE fighters got a little weird. I decided to run with whatever the players wanted to do but with an appropriate level of difficulty and a bunch of Setback dice. 41-VEX installed the hypermatter-whatsit with enough successes to ensure an escape in 4 rounds. Pash did some very, very ill advised moves... and managed to succeed.

He wanted to try to rip the side panel off of one of the TIE Fighters with the hooked part on the front of the YT-1300. He succeeded with enough Threats to deal a bunch of accidental damage to his own ship. His next move was to trap the "ball" of the second fighter in the same area and sit there with it trapped until the hyperdrive came online. Not only did he succeed in that roll, but the TIE Fighter pilot failed his own rolls to try to break free.

THe Krayt's Fang was almost destroyed in the end but it managed to escape.

We also ran the first portion of the first act of Long Arm of the Hutt. They used the wampa skin carpet to wipe up after Trex's messy eating and took a while after that to discover the real source of the bad smell :cry:

Haha you're a really easy going GM! Putting up with a split party, crazy ideas and then crazier ideas... Sounds like a fun game. I would have blown up their ship though. Seriously, ramming BOTH tie fighters?

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Spork o Doom posted:

I like that second option, although actually I really liked the split to two stats so maybe I'm just wrong in the head. I doubt the skills would end up sufficiently far apart for it to be a major issue ether way, especially given the business of swapping around initiative slots freely in subsequent rounds which I do not really understand having only read the beginners guide mission in preparation for running it with my old group in a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will make more sense in practice. Maybe.

On that note, this is a stupid question I suspect but minion groups act as a single unit right? So 3 storm troopers attack one player a round at their enhanced dice pool, even in melee? That seems a little wonky. Am I interpreting that right? Surely 3 troopers don't get 3 attacks in melee on different targets at their higher value?

You are correct, it's just one attack. You're not forced to roll them all in a single group though, so if you'd rather they all did their own thing just split them up. The rules still work for even just two minions if you'd like two of them to be shooting while one is engaged.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Awesome. That's just right around the corner. I definitely could use that GM screen!

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

fosborb posted:

The players aren't making all of the rolls, but even on opposed rolls the dice give you enough room for interpretation to be able to advance the story in a compelling way. There's no reason to not roll in the open.

But screens are actively unhelpful in this system. Unless you have buckets full of the custom dice, constantly handing that poo poo over a gm screen sounds awkward and dumb and a recipe for spilt beer.

I think file folders or portfolios work far better in general. There's little reason for the cheat sheets found on the backs of most gm screens to not be just out in the open, and it's nice to be able to take your notes with you when you're playing set piece encounters, taking a break, etc.

Maybe I can find a Star Wars Trapper Keeper on ebay...

You are probably right about the screen being not as helpful but I'm a sucker for well designed laminated objects. Plus, I could use the screen so that my players don't constantly crane their necks to look at enemy stats. Drives me up the wall.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

Tarn the bothan bounty hunter of the group managed to pull a little theft and stole a speeder from an unwatched lot, and stash it back on the ship.

This was one of the first things my players did as well.

"Wait there's a speeder? That's ours." My players proceeded to go through a whole mini adventure to acquire speeders for each of them, for what purpose I can't tell.

Speeders, the irresistible Klondike bar of the Star Wars universe.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Lunatic Pathos posted:

Wookies that fight with their climbing claws are considered mad and dangerous by other wookies. Mad Wookie!

No social neuroses about just straight up punching stormtroopers to death though :getin:

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

Possibly absurdly dumb question: when calculating damage, do you deal additional damage for every uncancelled success, or for every additional uncancelled success? That is to say, with 3 successes and 5 base damage, am I dealing 7 damage or 8 damage?

Ugh, my players argued about this one for a while. I'd say 7 like ^ says. It doesn't make any sense to have to add an additional +1 for every weapon when considering damage. "So the light blaster pistol does 7 damage but 8 when you actually hit with it!"

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Hmm you guys are taking into account that you take the larger of the two dice pools first as your ability die and then upgrading them based on the lower of the two right? This means that even if you have a low characteristic in presence, you can still dump points into coercion and have a decent dice pool.

I believe that the rules also emphasize that at character creation you should put the majority of your experience into your characteristics as its the only time you can upgrade them outside of character creation and a few talents.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Solomonic posted:

Does anyone know if the core rulebook will be available for purchase in PDF format? Most of my games are run online so it's a lot easier to enter a search query than to look through individual pages for whatever I need at the time.

I ask because I read somewhere that Lucasarts doesn't want them to release one, and further googling didn't really turn up anything when I tried to confirm that.

I think I read that somewhere too. It'd be neat to be able to purchase it online but I don't think that they're going to because of the whole piracy thing. You'd think they'd learn that it's not going to stop someone from scanning it like every other major RPG book out there but oh well.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

I got the Beyond the Rim adventure in for use with my real life EotE game, and I was wondering, would anyone be interested if I ran it as a PbP?

If enough people say they will I'll try to get a recruitment thread up and start making the game onlineable.

I would be interested as well!

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Nope. Just don't forget to pick up some dice as well. They don't come with the core book.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

jivjov posted:

It's not an incontrovertible law of the universe that Jedi imbalance Star Wars RPGs. Sure, past systems have had that problem, but we have no reason to assume FFG's will suffer the same fate. The Force power talents in EotE and AoR work fine, there's nothing to say that the rest of the ones we'll get in FaD won't also work just fine.

It's possible but not very. Jedi can see the future, go super fast, pull a star destroyer out of the sky, shoot lightning out of their hands, read/trick your mind, etc.

Han Solo and Boba Fett, two of the biggest bad asses in the SW universe can shoot really well.

That's tough to balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

jivjov posted:

How is "pulling a ship out of the sky" that much different (in game balance terms) from "can instantly and without repercussion eliminate all minions in a given combat", like the Hired Gun signature ability? Until we actually see the book and see how Jedi and force powers are implemented, it's very premature to just declare FFG to have horrible ale designer on staff and that their implementation of Jedi are broken and overpowered.

I didn't say that and I actually love what Fantasy Flight has done so far. I'm saying that Jedi are crazy powerful dudes who routinely do stuff that no regular person could and if you balance them with normal people then you are doing them a disservice. You want to be a Jedi to do that kind of wild stuff, not to be a normal dude with a blaster. Are you just being contrary or what?

• Locked thread