Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all! Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask about Delta Green scenarios, however it seems like a good starting place at least. Anyway, to provide some context I'm pretty new to the DG/CoC settings and system, and am devising my own Delta Greeny-SCPy kind of agency/setting (I think it'll be set in the mid '80s) and as I'm fairly new to GMing in general, I'm just after any input on what you all think are good official and unofficial scenarios and campaigns. Since although we're all interested in the setting, I'll definitely need some pre-written scenarios to help get me off the ground, with figuring out the system and what works well.

So, the main thing I have in mind is that it'll all be kinda... "low paranormal", I guess? So like, SCP-style anomalies, as well as occult/other weird goings-on, but I'm trying to angle away from stuff like aliens and grand cosmic threats, like Cthulhu and whatnot. (I don't mind the possibility of some weird cult(s) that might be a reoccurring side-enemy, though. So some 'lite-Cthulhu' stuff might be OK?) So for instance, I've been looking through some of the official scenarios available, like "Music from a Darkened Room", which seems pretty cool. Spooky house with weird manifestations and whatnot, with the potential for a sacrifice/ritual to permanently end the 'dark connection' with the land. If I run it, I'll probably ignore the 'elder sign' victory alternative perhaps, since that seems like more of a CoC link which...might be hard to explain away, or even attain to begin with. There have also been some others, like "Last Thing's Last" I think it's called, which is a good little scenario too. 'Night Floors' seems to have cool potential, but if I run it it'll probably have to be much later on, since it seems like it may end up being fairly complex - for both players and myself!

But yeah, I'm completely willing to adjust chunks of scenarios and whatnot to suit the overarching narrative/setting, so that's not an issue. For instance, although I haven't read through parts 3-4 of the "Future/Perfect" scenarios, but I might be able to use part one as a standalone and get rid of/repurpose the 'great race' bits. Overall though, I just don't know what good sources of compatible (seeing as I know some earlier edition CoC stuff works with DG. No idea how much of that is more 'small-scale' stuff that doesn't result in/strongly imply the existence of big existential threats) scenarios and campaigns are available. I know there's a bunch of unofficial stuff out there too, but it seems like actually finding a list of sites that contain them is somewhat difficult.

So yeah, thanks in advance for any scenario inputs or even general DG GMing tips! Also, apologies in advance if my post is a little incoherent - I'm pretty tired after reading a lot of this stuff, last night :v: (Also, thanks again for your '30s supplement PDF, DrSunshine! Very handy to have, as we seem to have similar thoughts on direction)

EDIT: Oh also, how do you guys find the earlier investigation/info gathering stage of scenarios? It seems like for some scenarios (like in "Music from a Darkened Room") there's a lot of it, so there's the potential for that stage to go on for quite a long time. Which isn't a problem, I should note - especially since it mostly depends on the group/players as to how it plays out, I imagine. So like, do you guys RP through it all, and make note of how long it all takes (so like, if they take all day -or even two days- split up around town asking questions etc, before going to the house, they might arrive on the second night if they don't want to wait.) or do you kinda just abstract it all a little more, to allow players to get through some parts of it quicker?
(Also, please note that my copies of the handlers guide and players guide haven't arrived yet - so if this seems like a dumb question, that's why! I'm just going by the bare basics for the most part, at this stage)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Excellent, thanks for those! I actually have another question though, if you don't mind. Since I've taken a look online and it seems like a lot of the 'monsters' contained in the handlers book are... possibly a bit much for a group of 3-4 players to handle, unless they like, call in an F-111 to drop a bomb on it, or something.

So what I'm wondering is, are there any good (official or unofficial) bestiaries/'monster manual' type books, with a bunch of creatures of varying threat level, to use in scenarios?
I've tried searching online to see if I can make some progress on this front myself, and it seems like the CoC Malleus Monstrorum is recommended as a potential option, although I assume some adjustments to make them fit better with DG would be needed. (Since DG is based on an older edition than CoC's current iteration, right?) I mean, I'm not overly keen on simply using Lovecraftian monsters a lot, but I could always take a statblock from a book like MM as a base, then reskin and adjust it appropriately, so it's not simply 'Attack of the Deep One'

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone had luck including more 'mundane' mini-scenarios in DG campaigns? Since I'm wondering about making some shorter scenarios for use here and there between bigger missions, but with the possibility that the players get caught up in some more mundane dramas while on the way there or back. Like I dunno, getting caught up in a plane hijacking and needing to try to resolve it (while hopefully avoiding being on the news) or being caught up in a bank robbery-turned-siege or something. Or even like, being unexpectedly snowed-in somewhere after a mission, and potentially having to work with some captured enemy agents/cultists/whatever to get out ASAP to relay important news, before then figuring out what to do with the enemies-turned-helpful-people

EDIT: Apologies again about all these questions - pretty basic stuff I'm sure! I'm just pretty new to GMing in general, and extremely new to this style of RPG

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 29, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Nice, thanks for those suggestions! And yeah, you're right about that DrSunshine - I expect for the most part, they'll just be encountering fellow shmucks. (Albeit maybe ones who are temporarily/permanently out of their minds or something, like that Jazz Craze one you mentioned)
That Jazz one you mentioned in particular sounds good. I mean, I'd have to adapt it to be more '80s-y, but man, imagine some packed club unwittingly playing it, if the players can't figure it out in time. That'll be one hell of an encounter! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, gang! (oops I thought I thanked you ages ago, but apparently I just abandoned the thread after getting the answers I sought) I've actually got a scenario thought up for one of the monster types/groups in The Book of Unremitting Horror already, as something that may happen after another mission.

But also, due to a sale on at drivethruRPG I've picked up the bulk of Delta Green scenario collections - the ones that aren't filled with aliens anyway. I also got the 'The Things We Leave Behind' (I think it's called) collection of scenarios for Call of Cthulhu, since it looked like one or two might be good for my campaign.

A question though, regarding CoC scenarios: Is anyone able to give me any recommendations for scenarios/collections that are decent, BUT don't go crazy on the whole 'elder god' thing. Since MAJOR major threats like that, subterranean lizardmen and alien infiltration (like in some DG scenarios, looks like) are a few things I'm trying to avoid/modify so that the stakes aren't QUITE as high in case they botch things at a key moment, as I'm gonna run it as an ongoing campaign. Plus it just wouldn't fit The Vibe(tm) of what I'm going for, aside from perhaps as a big finale to close off the campaign

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Mansions of Madness doesn’t deal with any gods at all, AFAIK. Usually just scientists or adventurers or occultists who got in too deep.

Very few adventures actually have gods as something you interact with.

Oh, interesting! Thanks for that, I'll take a look!

And that's interesting - good to hear, too! The problem is, they don't like giving anything away about the scenario, so it's hard trying to get any info on what the players can be expected to contend with, without buying-in.
Either way, thanks! At least there's more content I can use, than I realised!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Imaginary Friend posted:

Autophagia, which is also from the folks behind The things we Leave Behind is pretty good if you have set your campaign near the ocean with ships nearby. Overall, Stygian Fox seem to have quite a bunch of cool scenarios that can be mixed and mashed together with some effort. They are usually about crazies behind all the horror and not big bad gods.

oooh, nice! Yeah that looks cool - same with the other material of theirs that I've just flicked through, too. Thanks!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry to DP - I just have yet another Delta Green question, if you don't mind. So, my plan (which will be set in motion soon - looks like I'm close to finally start locking in a session zero) is to have a kind of "covert, but technically on the books" agency which the players work for directly, rather than having a day job while working for DG, like in the base setting. (Although if people want to play as an ally in another agency or as a civilian but working more on a provisional basis, then I guess I'll leave the door open for that, too)

What I want to know though, is what kind of equipment and weaponry I should typically allow. Since I think in base DG the agents' regular/day jobs kinda keep a check on what they can normally bring along, seeing as if they can't bluff it out they'd kinda be "borrowing" stuff, if it's not just their sidearm. But in my setting, they don't really need to be so sneaky about it. But I'd still like to limit things, for most operations - especially since they'd be going into towns etc. as part of investigations, so they can't just tote an M16 as they strut down the main street.

So, what do you find works, if you don't mind me asking? I guess this also applies to regular Call of Cthulhu, too. Would it be reasonable to make it so that only on missions likely to be combat-focused (rather than "maybe there's something here? Go and see" investigations, where they'd just take a sidearm etc) the agency will provide combat gear. But if they want to bring stuff in on other missions, they'll either have to be sneaky or bluff to the armourer to get more gear, or bring their own guns bought from a black marketeer, which they could keep in a Green Box between missions?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Right, OK - that's interesting to know, thanks! I guess I'll start them off with handguns for their easier initial assignment(s), but then give the option (and realisation that it would be a good idea!) to start fleshing things out, with maybe buying bolt-action rifles and shotguns, to keep in the car or something, in case they're needed.
(Also just thought... are sawn-off shotguns in the game? That might be OK I guess, for someone to keep in the back of their belt for big emergency damage)

Good point about the semi-auto rifles for feds, too. Since mostly they'll be pretending to be FBI or whatever, so walking around with an M249 SAW isn't very likely! :v: Oh yeah and it'll be set in the 1980s, so not quite the main DG era

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 20, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Both points are very valid! It's also interesting to talk about/read, as the good Dr mentioned. I guess I may end up doing what mellon mentioned for simplicity's sake, but we'll see how it goes. PB might end up staying as-is if the group prefers it to work that way, but I suspect they'd be alright with an across the board decrease.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking - how do the rest of you handle caches/'green boxes'? I know they can rent a storage unit to fit in a bunch of stuff, but I guess they can also just get a metal footlocker (or some other bulky storage unit) and bury it in the yard or somewhere uninhabited, even.
Hmm, I guess I'll have to make note of it though, in case the character dies! Since if they've stored a pilfered artefact in a storage unit leased for six months or something, that might come back to haunt the team later in the campaign...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
OK so, one of the players in my upcoming DG game is suddenly busy for a few weeks. So now, perhaps for the best, I've got some more time to plan some more small threads linking missions together, so that it's not 100% unconnected "monster of the week" scenarios, as I'd prefer to have some familiar faces and themes now and again, etc. One of the main things I've been trying to figure out though, is how to best use Mr Bernard Corbitt from Mansions of Madness.
After reading his little scenario (Mr Corbitt) after someone here recommended MoM, I've wanted to build him up as something of a small-time friend/ally of the team, then spring the scenario on them sometime later, to see how they fare. Since I think if I was to drop the scenario on them as-is without any prior interaction with Corbitt, it might just fall flat as he's simply a stranger. But if he's a friend, it might concern some players and fuel founded and unfounded suspicions later on in the campaign.

So anyway, he's an import/export company owner, so I've tried to figure out how I might pull him in to render minor assistance in scenarios here and there. Nothing major I guess, since he's not directly involved (as far as the players know) in the 'unusual'. But just to help make things a little easier for the players now and again, so that they have a degree of fondness for him by the time I start his scenario. Does anyone happen to have any ideas for where he might come in handy? I'm thinking I might be able to have him be called by the antique dealer in Music From a Darkened Room to help track down some potentially important furniture from the haunted house, but aside from that I'm not sure what I can do with him, really. I guess I could potentially have him feature as a passenger in Autophagia, who's returning from a follow-up trip to India (hint hint, as that's how he became father to some monstrosity) who might be like "oh hi neighbour!" and maybe drop a piece of semi-useful info on a passenger/crewmember, however from the looks of it, most if not all people on the ship are slated to die in the scenario, so that could be real risky depending on how things pan out.

If anyone has played through some DG/CoC scenarios and can think of a natural fit for him to slot into off the cuff, I'd greatly appreciate it! All good if not, though - sorry for all the questions! Although I've read through a fair few scenarios and whatnot by now, I'm still very much unfamiliar with it all!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 25, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

I don't know the character specifically, but if his role in the story is an antiquarian/occultist and importer/exporter of strange items, he could appear in the background of any scenario as a Delta Green allied artifact identifier. The players can take unknown artifacts to him and he'll not only provide a background and lore explanation, he'll also explain the basics of how the item functions mechanically. This not only makes him directly useful, it also makes the players more willing to play with artifacts, which results in a more interesting game overall. A Victim of the Art is the most famous artifact based scenario. There's an official book of artifacts called ARCHINT but half the items in it are just recycled from existing scenarios, and the ones that aren't would require you to build an entire scenario around them.

A good cheap trick for making the players like an NPC, since you said that's what you're after, is to give the NPC a companion animal. A friendly dog is the obvious play, but you could just as easily give him a cat or parrot.

Ohh, yeah that's a good thought - I could definitely do that, for AVotA and a couple of other artefact-focused missions, early on. I guess I might need to insert one or two more 'harmless' artefacts in missions too, perhaps - ones that'll be easier/more tempting for the players to swipe and have him examine, rather than turning in as evidence/for containment (since I imagine some of the more dangerous artefacts would definitely be on DG's radar, to keep under lock and key!)

And the animal companion is also a good idea! One which might have the potential of interfering with the players when they go up against him...
(Cats and dogs are too highly regarded among my group, though. So I'm leaning towards either a parrot like you said, or maybe even a monkey - gained from his travels in India and south-east Asia)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

The point is to make him at least somewhat trustworthy, so a highly regarded animal is the way to go. Obvious bad guys have monkeys. The assassin from Raiders of the Lost Ark had a monkey. The Nazi commander from Come and See had a monkey.

Yeah, I know, I know... I just don't think any of 'em would be able to bring themselves to harm the poor thing, if it was a dog who was rushing to attack them in defence of its master! (And besides, I was thinking more of a 'friendly monkey with a fez' vibe, personally :D )
But yeah you're right - it probably will need to be a dog, purely to avoid the chance one of the group will be suspicious of him from the get-go. If someone has to kill the dog (probably after encountering/petting him in the past) though, I think that'll be regarded as the saddest moment of the campaign!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - seeing as my first session is finally on the horizon, I just wanted to check if there's a good Delta Green 'GM cheat sheet' around, by any chance? I was about to start cutting+pasting my own from the PDFs, but figured I should ask as there's probably been a better effort than what I could do, that's been made in the past.

Also, out of curiosity, I've noticed in some scenarios (whether official or unofficial) there are a couple of days early on that are basically blank, before things start happening. So, how do you tend to handle those long periods of ingame downtime? I mean, I'm sure players will come up with ways to keep themselves busy (whether that's going shopping for supplies, overthinking/jumping at shadows by looking into a random red herring before matters really heat up, etc.) but do you find you normally go through those days fairly quickly, or do you try to pad it out a little more?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Excellent, thanks for that!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - does anyone know of any lists/catalogues of artefacts, for CoC/DG? I know DG has the ARCHINT book which isn't too bad, but I'm mostly after some more 'minor' artefacts/curiosities, that have a much lesser effect than the more major/plothook-worthy artefacts in ARCHINT. (Apologies if this gets asked a lot!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh nice, thanks - I'll take a look! Those ones you've shown look cool

Also, on the topic of The Unspeakable Oath, is there somewhere I can just get the whole series in a bundle? Since I got one a while ago, which had a cool standalone/one-shot scenario which I'll be using in the coming weeks as an intro, but I wouldn't mind checking out the rest to see what else I can use. I haven't really seen anywhere that offers digital copies of it, but I'm probably just missing something

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

This is a common question for a reason. Interesting artifacts are labor intensive to create, requiring both flavor details and a solid mechanical effect.

The first resource people turn to for Delta Green items is the Green Box Generator. This is a classic for a reason, but to be honest I think it's kind of bad. It's been diluted over the years by lots and lots of low quality submissions, to the point where someone went in and added a bunch of items from the 5E DMG. Consider it a last resort when you run out of other stuff.

I think the Green Box Jam is a higher quality product, but for obvious reasons it has the same lack of thematic consistency.

I went through my own documents and pulled out the items that are the most interesting, the least disruptive, and don't require references to other scenarios

Thanks for that! They seem like good items. And yeah, I know - it's always bound to be rough, making this stuff. I guess I was mostly hoping for some sample artefacts or a "how to make your own" guide on making non-overpowered items, as making things harder for myself by breaking the game is my main concern, haha

Unfortunately I've actually thought up a bunch in the past months, but I initially didn't write them down for some dumb reason. The one I've actually written down (which I have planned as being found in an old temple I'm starting a rough design for, if the team follows up on info gathered in one of the 'Mansions of Madness' CoC scenarios. The one featuring a slime in it, that hints towards where an explorer found it and accidentally brought it home) is an old obsidian sacrificial knife, which gives the target a disease when cut. Resembles a severe case of dengue, and requires all the usual saves in order to recover (or not)
Aside from that though, I'm trying to remember the other ideas I had, ages ago. But thanks for that, in any case - I'll give those tools a look!

Oh, one other thing, if you don't mind! (Sorry :shobon: ) Are there any lists of 'spells'/rituals anywhere? I imagine if details like this exist it'll be in a CoC book somewhere, rather than in a DG book. (Preferably both their effects and a brief description, if such a list exists. e.g. what on earth does the Elder Sign gesture actually resemble? Sticking your middle finger up and swearing at the nearest Deep One, so it might be intimidated into not attacking?)
Is that the case, if anyone knows off the top of their head? If so, I'll see if I can get myself a copy, since that kind of thing may be quite handy. Not so much to make players straight-up occult wizards of sorts, but mostly so I can gradually allow them to find a few of the less powerful rituals and whatnot, if they feel so inclined to pursue them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah right, yeah that sounds good to me. I had forgotten about the costs to use it though - do you recommend having a 'price' (in Sanity usually, seems like) for even 'trinkets' that has only minor/mundane uses? To provide a quick example off the top of my head, say, an object that effectively acts like a glowstick. So like, you can 'switch' it on somehow, then it stays on until you turn it off.

Hmm... now that I think about it though, I guess you could have it prick you and take some blood (like, 1hp) when you toggle it on, then glows a creepy blood red colour, until you switch it off later on. Would you say something quite minor like that is OK, as an example? It's a pretty tiny cost really, but I guess it's also a pretty mundane effect.

Good memory about the artefact NPC, too. I'll definitely be pointing to him as a potential source for information. Also, my bad on missing the DGHG ritual list - I must've forgotten to make a note of that, when I first went through it!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I'm writing a little blurb to introduce my campaign setting, would love to hear any feedback!

Not very helpful I know, but I just wanted to chime in to say it sounds good to me!
(Also, are you going to feature any Spanish Civil War or Nazi-related scenarios, out of curiosity? The 1930s is a great time for war-related mystery! I was half tempted to do that myself, for my campaign. The allure of the 1980s is too strong for me, though... :D )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Absolutely. A Spanish Civil War scenario, a Japanese-occupied Manchuria scenario, and a scenario involving the Hindenburg are all on the table.

eeeexcellent, good to hear that - especially the Hindenburg one! Hmm also, have you thought about an Amelia Earhart one? I'm sure there could be a lot you could do, regarding her disappearance.
Like, maybe someone picked up a brief emergency broadcast before a crash, and it turned out she crashed on some creepy island or something, I dunno. Either way, what you've got planned sounds great to me - I hope it all goes well!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering, (another DG question - sorry!) are there any scenarios about GRU SV-8? I'm planning on inserting them (somewhat) into the fringes of some other scenarios, but I'd ideally like to have a scenario about butting heads with them directly, before later running Dead Letter, against the Karotechia. Since then if/when they follow it up, I'll present an SV-8 agent who proposes a truce to join forces in order to investigate and finish off Karotechia.

All good if not, though! I'm aware that there have been a few DG books/tales published about them, so maybe I'll have to have a read and make my own scenario, based around stumbling upon an SV-8 operation in progress or something.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

The only scenario about SV8 written by the DG devs is Dead Hand, in one of the Unspeakable Oath magazines. It stars a group of Soviet special forces on a clandestine operation at a missile base, around the time of the USSR breakup.

The splatbook Labyrinth has a single SV8 NPC called Agent Renko, which includes some detail on how the agency works in the present day. It has some suggestions for play but the Handler is left to hand craft the actual scenario on their own.

Aside from that, there's the original writeup in the old Countdown splat. Which was written for play in the "classic" era (1990s and early 2000s) and doesn't fit a present day game. Not just because of changes in the Delta Green lore, but because of changes in Russia between the time the splat was written and the present day. So if your game is set in the appropriate time period it should be fine, otherwise it won't be much help.

Beyond that there are plenty of SV8 fan adventures out there, although few of them focus on SV8 interacting with Delta Green.

Ah, right! Well, my game is set in 1984-1985 so it seems like that should more-or-less fit the bill. (End of '84 initially, since I want a winter themed mission early on, for obvious reasons. Probably 'Lover in the Ice', I think it's called? Unless there are better options around - I'm only aware of that one and another old one, which I think was alien-related. Can't remember the name of it, but it's an original/old DG scenario)

Anyway, thanks for that! Sounds like I might be mostly out of luck regarding SV-8 - that's alright though, I'll make something work. As you said anyway, I imagine they and DG try to keep to themselves, for the most part.

EDIT: Oh, I bagged myself "Tales from Failed Anatomies" just then, as it seems to have a few relevant short stories. Hopefully that'll help get the cogs whirring, in any case!
(Also, I should add - thanks again for your help mellon. You're a great resource!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 2, 2022

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PipHelix posted:

I once played a mechanic type and tried to bluff my way into a fancy ball - GM had one of the people throwing the party ask what I was doing there. I say I'm there to fix the electrics. GM says "we have no electric light, it's all gas." I immediately start yelling about "this guy here fucken gaslighting me!" and get all the PCs in the room to look over and start booing him.

Maybe the only time I've passed a challenge no-roll cause I got the GM as flustered ooc as I was trying to get his NPC in character.

drat, I'm glad you got away with it! Sounds great, haha :D

Also, DG question: Regarding the general 'Delta Green' bond, is that bond between members of the team itself on a more personal level, as well a more broad 'disposition towards the organisation itself' kind of deal? I'm not phrasing this very well, I'm sure, so apologies for that.
Since to provide an example, the scenario here is if the group spend a downtime slot doing something together (falling under the "fulfill responsibilities" pastime, I guess) between missions to relax and bond etc, would the bond boost go to the DG bond? Or does it fall under a separate team/group bond? (Since there are some examples where a bond might be a group of friends, or 'your old squad from your military days' etc.)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Right OK - so there should be one for each member of the team, as these events happen? I do remember reading about the traumatic stuff creating the bonds (which I quite like the way it works - I imagine it's similar to what soldiers go through, and how it can be difficult for vets to reconnect after coming back, etc.) but I must've misread it and thought it worked, since I thought it was just one "DG" bond, not one for each team member involved. Good thing I asked!

That's cool though. I imagine things like bond damage/sanity loss can really ramp-up if all but one team member dies on a bad mission. They might even need to be put away due to insanity - at least for a little while. I imagine it would also be pretty rough, forming a new team! Since all your DG bonds are gone, and you probably don't have many other bonds due to your DG experience/bonds sapping away at the other bonds as time goes on. It's an interesting system! I do like the way 'back at home' pastime vignettes interact with bonds and the like - much more in-depth compared to other RPGS

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - has anyone played/run The Walker in the Wastes? It seems to be OOP at the moment, but after starting a prologue one-shot ("Cold Dead Hand", so it loosely ties into TWitW) I've been wondering about adapting TWitW to the '80s and slotting it in as an over-arching campaign.

There'd still be a lot of work to do on it, like instead of airships being made it might be like, an icebreaker or two, among other equipment for the expedition. But otherwise, I'll aim to keep it as similar as possible. Does this seem feasible? I haven't been able to read too much about it, but have gone over the introduction/overview content, which makes it seem like it should be doable.

But yeah, any opinions on it would be much appreciated! Since at the moment I'm mostly considering integrating that or Masks of Nyatwhatever into the main campaign. (Seems like all big campaigns are for 1928 CoC)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 9, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rougey posted:

At the current rate they are two or three more sessions off entering into a death spiral and are a liability and a ticking time bomb and I am here for it :getin:

Out of curiosity, has this happened yet, by any chance? :D

Also, apologies if it's been asked before and isn't best suited for the thread, but are there any good places to get the various Unspeakable Oath issues? I know there are a few on DriveThuRPG, but most of the line-up is missing from there.
I'm looking for # 16+17 in particular, in order to get my hands on the Karotechia "See No Evil" scenario. Just to see if it'd be any good to insert it into my campaign as part of a side-plot. I have another Karotechia scenario..."Dead Letter" I think? Which can be run as a standalone, but from what I've read, it's best to be run as a follow-up to See No Evil. Then after that, I think I'd probably give the group a brief finale where they raid the original Karotechia survivors' compound in Brazil, gunning down the two bigfish and any on-site security

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Very, very nice! Good stuff, thanks for the write-up! Out of curiosity, how do you think it would go, if it was moved up into the '80s? I was originally considering MoN alongside Walker in the Wastes as an overarching campaign, but I ultimately settled for WitW, as it seemed a little easier to move. (And the fact that its missions are staggered out over around ~1.5 years means I can slot in a bunch of other standalone missions and side-plots in among the main missions)
But that being said, if all goes well and the players (eventually) want more, I've definitely got MoN in mind, since that seems like a great campaign, from the bits I've read. So it's good to hear about your campaign!

EDIT: hehehe, started reading through your campaign. I'm liking Falstaff already, with his expert graverobbing techniques :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 25, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

numtini posted:

We're just starting the last chapter after two years and two months of play, using Pulp rules. To me, moving it to a different time period would lose the atmosphere. In a lot of ways, it's a guided tour of the last days of the British Empire and that empire's gone after the war. You'd have to rewrite huge parts and I think it would lose a lot of flavor.

For what it's worth, I think we got a lot out of the Pulp rules in terms of players really committing to their characters and the mystery. I really feel like this is a campaign people will talk about after it's over.

Hmm yeah, I was afraid of that. Welp, I guess if this campaign (Walker in the Wastes, with some other missions to slot into the gaps between main missions) is a hit, I might do a kind of 'prequel' campaign for MoN. Thanks!
Also, interesting - I'll have to check out Pulp rules. Is it similar to CoC rules, but... maybe a little less player overhead? (Might be way off, there. Just had a real quick look between work)

Also, I've been enjoying your MoN campaign updates, kaynorr! It's been good to read through the next chapter in the group's adventures, whenever the thread is updated

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Megazver posted:

It's mostly just several optional rule tweaks you can mix and match: double HP, higher starting stats, Archetypes which is like another template like Occupations that you add in addition to an Occupation, more Luck and more ways to use it, Pulp Talents which are like Feats etc in other systems and a few other minor things.

Example Archetype:

Ahhh, right! I see now - I was misinterpreting similar stuff like that. Interesting, though! Definitely something I'll have to look at, since my players will be transitioning from prologue characters to 'regular' characters soon, so that might be handy. Thanks!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, my group had our second DG session, at long last. We're doing the "Dead Hand" scenario, where the players are spetsnaz operators. I picked this scenario as an initial "tutorial"/dip-your-toes-in-the-water kind of scenario, to get a general feel for the combat etc. in fairly a low-stakes situation compared to as part of a campaign with characters they made and want to hang onto. (Since I mean, if this scenario is botched and they all die horribly in their first combat encounter, it's not really a big loss. They could just take over other soldiers in the platoon, or simply fail the mission if it's bad enough)

But anyway, it hasn't been good so far. It doesn't really give players as much freedom as other scenarios I feel (compared to say, if you're investigating some haunted house or what have you. Where you can go around the town talking to people and finding out more about the place, etc., maybe try to get some plans for the house from the council building etc) but it's still good for an intro.
The guy who's playing the captain has failed a few sanity rolls too, which was amusing - only one other person has lost sanity, which was only a couple of points. Meanwhile, the captain nearly suffered from temporary insanity before leaving camp 234 :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mellonbread posted:

Isn't the fail state of Dead Hand a nuclear war?

Hah yes, very true! :D I meant more for the players personally, rather than the characters. Like, they haven't sunk a lot of time into making the characters or carrying out some smaller investigations before a big combat encounter, is all. Sorry - poor choice of words, I know! But yeah, just 'low-stakes' in terms of time/investment for the players, is all
But yes, in-universe, it's potentially very high-stakes indeed! :v: (although also kinda not, in a way. Seeing as... contingencies have been put in place by the government, unbeknownst to the players)

EDIT: Also, I think it'll indirectly tie into the "Walker in the Wastes" main plotline for the campaign fairly nicely. Providing an early taste of the power of Ithaqua. (Especially since assuming the players succeed in the main campaign, it's not like Ithaqua has been beaten - he's still raging away up north. The Major who started the plot simply isn't aware that by causing a nuclear winter, it's not actually going to help spread his god's domain)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 6, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh yeah! Sorry for the DP, but I forgot to mention earlier - the funny thing I found about the first half of the Dead Hand mission was how everyone was very much toeing the Party line, regarding all the goings-on.
Primarily the radio transmission/warning from Major Kishenko, so far. I'd imagine most parties would treat it at least somewhat seriously, but everyone in the group immediately blew him off both in-character and OOC, talking about him like the treasonous raving lunatic Command is referring to him as. (And that's even AFTER the same officer ordered the first platoon to fly into the blizzard, causing them to crash and burn)

So far it's definitely an urgent, yet routine mission against some cursed counter-revolutionaries, with some unfortunate loss of life and lunatics clogging the airwaves. Nothing more! :D
I'd be curious to know how other groups took it all, though! Possibly approaching the situation with perhaps a little more caution, compared to my players. They'll learn caution soon enough, though :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

I remembered that VCR tape mind downloading scenario you wrote for Delta Green and tried finding it. I did, but only after searching through a bunch of your stuff and loving hell I love your stuff so much. From the Deus Ex references to the random bits of militaria to just the really good setups in a lot of your scenarios. :kimchi:

I haven't seen this VCR scenario you mentioned, (kinda curious now though, heh) but I agree - all of mellonbread's scenarios I've read are pretty great! Very helpful on the forums too, for answering the many, many questions I've asked :D

Also, I'm a few sessions into my DG game - going good so far. Everyone's very dubious of strangers' feet now, due to stuff in Cold Dead Hand. Their characters probably look like a bunch of weirdos, but it's humorous all the same!
I'm thinking I might try and slot the CDH thralls into the main Walker in the Wastes campaign though, since I noticed that there's only that... other zombie/wight kinda spawn, that ithaqua can turn people into. So I might have it so that the thralls are lower in the heirarchy (as they lose half their intelligence. So I figure they're closer to being a cunning animal, than a dumb person) and are probably created when ithaqua isn't satisfied enough with a sacrifice to make the person one of the more powerful entities. (Sorry, the name escapes me) So the thralls might end up being sicced on the players as some point late in the campaign (after visiting the temple and hopefully foiling the initial attempt, I imagine) but otherwise I'll keep things similar
Does that sound reasonable enough? I haven't found much other material on ithaqua and its minions, so I'm just trying to meld CDH and WitW as well as I can, so it doesn’t seem weird having zero monster crossover

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 28, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Whirling posted:

I think it'd be neater to have it after the Dorchester House, yeah. I had Delta Green prompt them to go to Barbas's house to kill him and burn down his house to dispose of any Yellow King vectors (which they did in a hilariously messy/public way that I will milk for tension until Barbas comes back from them shooting him in the head and tossing him into a river), I'll probably have them sent off to Dorchester House next session since they have enough to convince DG that something's up there, and when that's done, I'll start off part 3 with DG trying to kill the Agents in an attempt to put a neat little bow on this outbreak.

oooh, this is very interesting! If all my players are keen for more DG after our current Ithaqua campaign (and survive) I might do something like this. Like, have a King in Yellow themed campaign (shorter than the current one though) with new characters, culminating in their original surviving characters being revealed as the hit squad tasked with taking out the players' new characters/"rogue agents". Then they can pick who to play as for the big final encounter, between the two parties.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 9, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, DG question: What happens if a character hits multiple sanity breakdowns/'temp insanity' in one bad roll/crit fail? I had an NPC team mate for the group do just that, losing (IIRC) 13 sanity in one hit. It was... very bad. I checked the rules, but couldn't find anything mentioning this kind of situation.

So yeah, because he was an unimportant character and it was a real bad situation, I ended up deciding by doing another sanity check - not to lose points, but to see how adversely he'd respond to the situation...he rolled 99 :v: So as a result, he just offed himself with his sidearm, in the face of this unspeakable horror mutilating his still-living squadmate. Kinda fit the theme at the time and I allowed it to help snap a PC out of their own stupor, as they had withdrawn into themselves after a bad sanity check the previous turn.

But either way, I figure I'd better check to see if there are more proper rules than that improvised situation, just in case it happens again

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

You can't really do that unless it's from multiple things and they're all real bad. If you take say, a 40 point SAN loss, you take the loss, hit your break point, then recalc the new breakpoint from where you are at currently.

Likewise, once you go temp insane, you are temp insane until someone calms you down, you pass out (or die), or you 'flee'.

I have playtested a variant where you only get the disorder if you are still below your breaking point at the end of the mission, which is a lot of fun and my current preferred method for san loss stuff.

Oh yeah, sorry - the guy had taken SAN loss from other stuff too. He was a real mess the whole mission before that happened, so he exceeded his breakpoint. You're right though - just rechecking it all now, and I guess you just ignore the fact that you hit temp insanity multiple times? So just temp insanity once while hitting the BP at the same time, then leave it at that?

Also, that variant sounds good - I think I'll do the same thing. Since I was just thinking that it seems real easy to snowball into a bunch of disorders on one mission, if you're unlucky. And I dunno, I don't think I want to be quite that punishing. (Doesn't matter so much in this case though - that NPC was the only one to be in that situation. And now the players love laughing at this guy, who they've posthumously disowned due to his apparent cowardice :v: )

But it's good to know for future reference, regarding both points! It's gonna be fun to see what kind of disorders this group gets :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Covok posted:

It was actually unintentional. We just never picked up on a lot of the things the GM was putting down, like secret doors and poo poo. When poo poo got real, we kind of just being goofballs and buckled ip.

Hah! You guys skipping/missing all the secret areas kinda reminds me of this scene from Ripping Yarns :D Locked in a B&B and about to be killed, he stumbles upon various secret exits (as it's a smuggler's cottage) and just randomly picks one, rather than being thorough and potentially dealing with the threat

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Out of curiosity, have any of your players brought a (non scooby) dog in DG/CoC games? One of my players has a dog as one of her bonds (a Dalmatian) and wants to bring it along to watch the car etc., while they're investigating. I have the stat block from the handler's guide (below, in case anyone wants it) but I just wanted to check if anyone has had any experience including a dog and whether they found they needed to handle things any differently, when having a friendly NPC dog on the scene. Like... I guess if anything is going on outside, do an occasional alertness check and have it bark if it senses anything unnatural nearby?

quote:

STR 12 CON 13 DEX 13 POW 10
HP 13 WP 10
ARMOR: 1 point of fur and thick skin.
SKILLS: Alertness 70%, Track by Smell 80%.
ATTACKS: Bite 30%, damage 1D6.
Knock down 50%, damage special (see KNOCK DOWN).
KNOCK DOWN: If this attack hits, the dog attempts
an opposed STR×5 test against the target. If the dog
succeeds, the target is knocked prone.

EDIT: Oh also, now that the 'prologue' is out of the way, the team for our campaign has been finalized. The group has a SWAT officer, a detective, a USPIS agent and a mystery author (who was kinda roped into it, but is happy to help - and is also under some strict NDAs to not contain operational data in their books :v: )

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 5, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry for the DP - just wondering though, has anyone played or looked at From the Dust and/or Presence for Delta Green? Since they came out fairly recently and seem to be quite similar. Are they linked (or able to be easily linked, anyway) scenarios? Since it seems like they both take place right nearby and have the same themes.
Speaking of themes, I was also wondering about - is anyone able to drop any spoiler-tagged details on the nature of the unnatural entities in the scenario? From what little I've been able to glean it seems like it's typical Cthulhu, which is perfectly fine - I'm just trying to avoid Mi-Go stuff for the group at present, is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Looking at these stats, the dog seems like it'd be stronger and harder to kill than most humans! :haw:

Ruh roh! Now that you mention it, you have a point there... I was thinking about dropping the stats by a point across the board, just so it's not quite as good as a guard dog - but yeah, guard dogs are tough! Definitely needs a slight reduction there, I think