Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe Ken Penders is what you would get if you tried to combine a Chris Claremont impersonator with Christian Weston Chandler.

Hey, let's... let's not say things we can't take back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hey, he got confused. He didn't know the fans bought tickets to the con, not the gun show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is there enough material in these stories about licensed comics and the licensors for a thread?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

What's the most recent iconic cover would you say?

New Avengers #1, probably.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But Lucy's clearly not the bride, Jimmy, that gorilla is!

:downsrim:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Meh, clearly a store-bought Murdered Watcher costume.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Ah, now I get it. So when Doom turned Namor away in the recent New Avengers, it wasn't because he was mad the Illuminati didn't come to him for help with the incursions, it was because he was a spurned lover.

You didn't get this from 5 decades of tsundere Doom vs the FF? "BLASTED RICHARDS, IT'S NOT LIKE DOOM... LIKES YOU OR ANYTHING!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
More like Imperious Sex, amirite? (The joke about this in this month's Winter Soldier would've been great if I could tell what the hell Bucky and Namor were doing when he said it)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Has Kirkman finally lost it?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I don't know, I think "TARDIS!" is a fantastic sound effect for a time traveler to use. Though I like to think his beam doesn't make a sound that sounds like the word "TARDIS!" but rather makes the TARDIS noise.

:colbert: The TARDIS goes VWORRP VWORRP in comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

73 years of Archie comics can't be wrong!

:goonsay: Cheryl was created in the '80s, technically.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, no, Joe, they're BEEkeepers. (I assume he's talking about Hydra and AIM grunts?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well snowboots without socks would just look silly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To prove that DOOM can make even lesser mortals appear as unto GODS and GODDESSES of old.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Doom does not practice. Doom simply does.

PENCILS ARE FOR LESSER MEN.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

It's so she can have a bikini on and thigh-highs. Maximum sex appeal!

I'd dispute this, but then I remember that's the same run that had a subplot of her going into heat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

smashpro1 posted:

How exactly does one blow a smoke skull?

Very carefully.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Batman providing the rare assisted cape-rear end concealment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

That's a pretty sick pentadent.

Gotta be ready to shiv fools that talk smack 'bout your sideburns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, I'd get mad, but I trust Jimmy and Amanda. And it's still better than Geoff Johns' attempt to deal with the boob hole.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know why, but "She's got partially-squirrel blood" was the line that really tickled me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sitchelin posted:

So is Squirrel Girl's superpower the ability to chew acorns and get hit by traffic? Because squirrels are all about becoming roadkill.

She has the proportionate strength, speed and agility of a squirrel. Also she can talk to them, and has a big-rear end tail. (Pun only sorta intended)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Dan Slott. His schtick was actually pretty amusing before he got Spider-man.

Pretty sure that's after Peter David took over.

EDIT: Nope, google-fu (which I should've done first) turned up it's a few issues before. I was sure David was the one that made her an agent of SHIELD or whatever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This should be how Dr Wells in the Flash TV show reveals he's evil.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shakenbaker posted:

Ares dying is right with Bill, son of Bill's death in the list of reasons I hate The Siege.

Dark Reign: Ares 1

I think that panel works in both this thread and the badass thread.

The better page for this thread would be his speech about how all the sensible poo poo you do in war? That's what Athena does. Ares is just about shootin' guns and killin' dudes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Male Man posted:

We have a really distorted modern view on the mythological Ares. A good chunk of mythology comes from Athens (patron deity Athena), who as you well know hated Sparta (patron deity Ares). So while a good chunk of the ancient Greek world had a more balanced view of the relationship between the two, in the mythology we know Ares spends most of his time getting into a drunken stupor and/or bloodlust and loving everything up (in both all three senses of the phrase). Then Athena comes in and is totally smart and pretty and fixes everything and everyone loves her.

But that misconception produces stuff like this, I'm all for it.

Well, that's Ares' description of his sister. In Hercules, she was a pretty amoral schemer, portrayed as worse than Zeus or Hera because she was dispassionate and wise enough to know better and not act rashly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Marvel Adventures: The Avengers Vol 1.

I think you brought the wrong gun entirely, Hatemonger.

Uh... isn't Giant Girl like 15 in those books?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Wolverine should refrain from making Charlie Brown faces while he's wearing a yellow-and-black-zig-zag shirt.

:smith: "I got a lump of adamantium..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How's Gwen know Kaine's handsome if he's still in his costume, hmm? :colbert:

(Although, cute touch, considering we know Peter's her type.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I would be down for a crazy silver age style storyline where Squirrel Girl marries Rocket Raccoon.

I suspect Bendis came up with that joke before they announced the Squirrel Girl ongoing, because I could almost see them doing that. If nothing else, I would be shocked if North and Henderson don't do a guest appearance/crossover with Rocket.

And that Power Pack one is barely a joke. Wasn't there an actual pitch for a MAX Power Pack series?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except when Matrix merged with a regular girl who may or may not have been an angel.

(I still do really like the issue from that PAD run where Silver Age Supergirl shows up and tries to push the Earth out of the way of an asteroid)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, wasn't that down to an editorial mandate that Superman had to be literally the last Krptonian, hence Superboy's a clone, Supergirl's a robot/angel, and Power Girl was from Atlantis or whatever they claimed at that point?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Awesome. I've started to get my 6 year old daughter into comics by using the Marvel Adventures line and Tiny Titans. This Supergirl one also looks like a perfect gift to give her.

It absolutely is. There's also the recurring gag with Kara's fantasy of being MOON!Supergirl. (Which is like regular Supergirl, just on the moon.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

Also, this.

He also does some driving in the Daredevil movie, but as Matt, to gently caress with a witness that the Kingpin had paid off, if I recall.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. You think she added the text herself, or did she get that custom-made?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I'm more interested in how Murdock got a shirt that said I'm not Daredevil.

Also, it seems kind of insane that people would assume he's faking being blind, what, a blind guy can't fight crime?

Hey, Dr Ed on the Flash tv show relies on people assuming a guy in a wheelchair can't murder anyone as an alibi. Superheroes are weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh. Val and Franklin have bounced between 2 and like 14 (and those brief periods where adult Val shows up) for decades.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why are there fun tie-ins in Spider-Verse for it seems like everybody but Spider-Girl, who just had her family murdered?

She's in Spider-Woman! So she gets to be drawn by Greg Land. :smith:

Edit: Whoops, you meant Mayday, not 616 Spider-Girl. I think they are doing a short in one of the anthologies, by the original Spider-Girl creative team

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 8, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

I'll have you know that Morlun is only about upholding the Daily Bugle's journalistic ethics.

I'd pay good money for a page of Jonah or Ben Urich laughing a GamerGater out of their office. Ooh, better yet, Betty Brant or Kat Farrell. (Or what's her face who wanted Steve Rogers to get a MySpace, I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phy posted:

I waffle between him and the 60s Spider-man

60's Spidey never threatened to hunt Shocker across the globe in order to horribly murder him.

• Locked thread