Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Stan Lee has his own Youtube channel! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsR9540Js0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

http://mitchoconnell.blogspot.com/2012/09/sex-in-comic-part-2-top-100-strangest.html

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ultimate Spider-Man #14

(Not laugh-out-loud funny, but I chuckled.)

(Because of Uncanny X-Men #168, in case you didn't get the reference.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 16, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

TwoPair posted:

I mean, I'll wait a day or two from now on, but a week seems a bit much unless Taters or Waterhaul wants to make a ruling on the subject.

ANYWAY, just to repost it for the new thread, here's probably my favorite comic ever. A lot of people say the most recent Ghost Rider run was bad... and for the most part they're right, but #7 and 8, where GR (who is a girl in this run) and depowered Johnny Blaze team up with Hawkeye are simply wonderful. So they're fighting Steel Wind and Steel Vengeance, two ridiculous old Ghost Rider enemies...

(Then they get captured)

from Ghost Rider #8, obviously

Post the pages where they argue about Davie Bowie. Please?

Edit: :neckbeard: Yaay!

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 20, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Requested in another thread (the inspiring panels one, I think); Grant Morrison as Brainiac, by Alex Ross:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alhazred posted:

She was called the Skin-Bender and appeared in #35:

I wish there were a way to convert animes into this kind of art style. I would love to see the reactions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Seldom Posts posted:

I bought this today. The greatest thing about this panel is that Doop is actually playing a bass instead of guitar and yet he still won.

In the land of funk, bass is the king.

Scaramouche posted:

Looks like Ignition City.

This is correct.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Boogaleeboo posted:

I love how he has all these spider based abilities, and then out of loving nowhere he has precognition. Because that is what it is, it's not like he has some sort of hyper-sense subconscious understanding of danger about to happen or some such. Nope, he's just flat out psychic. Dude knew when Thanos killed half of all life. Why? Spider radiation makes you magic.

I figure Stan Lee had tried to kill a spider the day before, but the little guy kept dodging his attacks.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MelvinTheJerk posted:

1) Iron Man goes out like a chump.

This is almost a running joke in Avengers comics at least into the early '90s. You could probably put together a megapost of "Iron Man gets beaten way too easily".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Well in WCA it makes sense as he is not Tony but Jim Rhodes

Nope, that's Tony Stark. Rhodey never wore the "Silver Centurion" armor. This was the armor that was the first Tony had worn since giving the job to Rhodey[1] -- he used it in Iron Man #200 to beat Obadiah Stane[2]. And he was pretending to not be Tony Stark at the beginning of WCA, although that didn't last too long.

[1] Not technically the first since giving the job to Rhodey. He had to put on an old set briefly to help Rhodey, who was having mental problems as a side effect of wearing the suit.

[2] Iron Man #200 wasn't published until after West Coast Avengers got started, but it's one of those "the events in this issue occur before West Coast Avengers #1" situations.

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 4, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Codependent Poster posted:

The panel from that Avengers Academy issue with Quicksilver and Warbird having just been tased is good too.

Also, "Don't tase me, Jo!"
Also, "It's official. This is the greatest day of my life."

(The whole issue was just awesome. :allears:)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Unfit For Space posted:

How could you guys forget Bill Foster? The man died a hero!

http://mightygodking.com/index.php/i-dont-need-your-civil-war/ (issue 4, page 17)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Just out of interest, would this have been before or after the Jim Shooter run on Avengers where Wonder Man was perpetually crippled by his self-doubt and fear of dying (again)?

This is definitely in the near vicinity of that. Then Simon gets over his self-doubt and becomes an enormous rear end in a top hat with a horrific costume.

(This picture actually makes it look not-so-bad. I never cared for the art in West Coast Avengers; it all looked unpleasant to me.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KayTee posted:

I haven't been following Hulk (though apparently I should be). What's with the black stuff he's wearing?

Not yet explained. It's almost certainly some Bannertech armor. (No, I have no idea what that means the armor will do.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 8, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saoshyant posted:

I don't know why you consider these funny; I find those panels rather depressing, especially the little guy.

This gentleman knows what's what. Secret Six was one of the better DC series pre-52, in my opinion. If dark humor and a bunch of villains (who are all great characters) stuck in the same group constantly squabbling between each other is something you'd be interested on, you should track that series down.

Hey, funny panels:

No idea on what issue this is from, but hey, it's Dum Dum wearing his fedora underneath a space helmet! Wacky, but stupidly in-character, too.

I always thought it was a bowler, not a fedora. It sure looks bowler-ific. (Fedoras have a wider brim and a dent in the top of the hat.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Random Stranger posted:

As long as I'm posting, here's Thor to explain politics for you:

Yes, that's real. It's from Giant Sized Howard the Duck #1, IIRC...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Roboto posted:

I like how the old comic is still refusing to keep up with the times and keeping JJJ as a crusty old newspaper editor behind an old desk.

Other Spiderman comics have updated him to a a logical modern version of him as an angry public multiMedia Mogul, like Rupert Murdoch, which is a brilliant update.

But this version, yep, Stan Lee's not changing, no sir.

People who read newspapers (where that strip is printed) probably have no problem with JJJ's job situation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stagger_Lee posted:

In the earliest Stan Lee comic (pre-FF #1) to mention the idea of a community of mutants, they were all telepaths, and I think that sticks a little bit into the Silver Age. Magneto definitely could just control minds at first, and then they tied it into his magnetism powers later, and eventually just sort of stopped using it.

I believe Magneto had telepathic powers that he used for locating mutants in the very early days.

(The Sub-Mariner also had the ability to shoot electricity. (Like an electric eel.))

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Seen at Comic-Con, apparently. http://boingboing.net/2012/10/17/nycc-issa-ibrahim.html

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is it just me, or is Superman doing a smug "yeah, I'm a badass" thing with his face in the first panel? Is that a new-52 thing? I'm not a big Superman fan, but when I do like him, it's when "smug" is the farthest thing from his mind.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Which is really dumb, because Batman's problem wasn't with Green Lanterns. Batman's problem was with Guy, because Guy is an rear end in a top hat.

Batman was also being pretty rear end in a top hat-ish at the time. Although that might be hindsight speaking, because Guy's Awesomeness Factor has increased pretty dramatically since ye olden dayes.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Igiari posted:

In case anyone was wondering, it's a giveaway because Rei Hino is secretly Sailor Mars.

Thanks. I never got what he was talking about. :tipshat:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I'm probably missing a joke, but why is she frowny here? You'd think this was what she wanted. (Or something in the vicinity of what she wanted, at least.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Man-Ape seems to have been roofied, so Stilt Man might have the right idea. :ohdear:

(Or maybe he's just hung over. These were the years before Christopher Priest made him a badass, after all.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ManiacClown posted:

I'm pretty sure Cap could get reasonably drunk. I don't think his metabolism works quite fast enough to purge toxins from him as fast as Logan's does. The movie exaggerated it a bit, I believe, though I can't check the OHOTMU (Marvel wiki be damned) at work.

Ultimate Cap's probably got something to do with whatever is in the movie. His immune system is strong enough to beat HIV and vampirism.

VVVV The HIV test never occurred in-comic -- it was part of the "look how badass he is" build-up at the beginning of Ultimates 1.

prefect fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 27, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RandallODim posted:

Well this just cast all of Defenders in a new light.

Did he freak out Red She-Hulk by telling her about the forget-me-nows? :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yes, that is Rorschach getting into Travis Bickle's Taxi. This is a real thing that actually happened

Well, poo poo. It does make sense, since they have the same attitudes towards crime, filth, et cetera.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Galactus Devouring His Herald

VVVV I love the "Sober yet?" [crushes coffee cup] "Good." panels. :3:

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 17, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

muscles like this? posted:

Funny panel from Hawkguy #6

Doctor Druid is back?! :woop:

(I have a soft spot for heroes who aren't chiseled and don't have a beautiful head of hair.)

VVVV Aw. :eng99:

prefect fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 21, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

I took him to be referring to financial security, since a blacksmith is a very stable and desirable medieval profession.

I figured it was "we are warriors who fight all the time -- you'd have to get out of the warrioring business if you want peace".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

It's funny either way. Either Peter's pretending to be a supervillain for laughs, or Otto's legitimately trying to be the good guy here but just doesn't quite get it.

I've decided that Pete's just suffering some kind of brain damage and/or insanity that causes him to think he's not entirely himself. That seems to make it acceptable to me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

al-azad posted:

If it's a critical piece then it's a really bad one. It's also a really bad story, I can't believe they allowed that in a book.

After 9/11, a lot of people just wanted some kind of reassurance that things were going to be All Right again. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notthegoatseguy posted:

Teaming up with the Punisher never ends well for Spidey.

Punisher (2011) #2

The more Garth Ennis hates superheroes, the more I want him to write superhero books. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

techknight posted:

Action #293

Hah, an old split identity story! I wonder what wacky situations the separated Clark and Superman will get into..

:stare:

Now I want to go watch the first two Superman movies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

redbackground posted:

Not exactly funny, nor a panel, but whatchagonnado.

It's even got Paste-Pot Pete!

source

Can I get it on a poster? :swoon:

Edit: If I had just followed the links, I would have found that out for myself. :saddowns:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Internet Wizard posted:

Apparently Jean Grey is not a telepath.

The chart also doesn't have Superman listed for eyebeams; I don't think it's supposed to be exhaustive.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

She was pretty good in Avengers by Kurt Busiek.

She was also in "Marvel Divas", which was much better than the title would have you believe. Honest.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Those are some oddly colored pigeons.

Pigeons and doves are the same thing, and you can have white doves, so it's not that insane.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mister Mind posted:

(edit) - I kind of wish the "Get out" frog had four arms and swords now.

Are you sure the frog doesn't have two arms, but both on the right side of his body?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uthor posted:

Spidey is great with children.

The overlooked gem: "Sadly, my pacifist nature precludes me from babysitting." :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I took it as a rather poor attempt to cheer him up with some humor, from the context. It didn't work, and was probably in bad taste, but that's family.

That's also Ultimate Volstagg, so a fart joke is character-appropriate.

• Locked thread