Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My favorite comic book nut shot is probably this one from an issue of Supergirl I can't remember. The Joe Kelly/Ian Churchill run.

Power Boy has been a creepy weirdo and Kara has had enough of it so she tells him to get lost. He hits her or something and then boom tubes to the edge of the solar system to hide. Moments after stepping out of the tube this happens.

The pink lighting bolts really make it special I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
My favorite Jason Aaron Ghost Rider moment is when he's in japan and fights a horrible demon that looks like a stereotypical anime character. But I can't find a picture of it or even remember what issue it was.

But what I do have is a panel from Incredible Hulk #14. Clever visual metaphor? How the Hulk's brain actually works? You decide.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Bravest Warriors #1

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

(not sure what it's from, probably hawkeye?)

Social Media everyone.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Yes, that is Rorschach getting into Travis Bickle's Taxi. This is a real thing that actually happened

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I like that Tigra's swimsuit is actually more modest than her costume is. What a classy character design.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Glory 31

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Also the last issue started with Glory teaming up with Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, and Ernest Hemingway to fight crime in 1920's paris.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
For reals folks. Stop cursing the darkness and light a goddamn candle for once.

Here's something from Peepo Choo vol 1 that made me laugh just from how unexpected it was. (right to left)

Reiko: not afraid to gently caress some poor dude up.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Atmus posted:

You impertinent, lying, degenerate.
Uh...me? Or the comic? Or...what?

I guess "what?" is what I'm asking here.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Silentman0 posted:

He's literally quoting the comic that you posted.
Oh, he is. Gosh I feel stupid now. :(

I'm sorry Atmus.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Yeah it's a manga style book so you're going to be reading it backwards.

Just be warned that it's really not a book for everyone. It's incredibly mean spirited and cruel to the characters. It's also packed with some of the most horrific violence I've seen in a comic book outside a Crossed comic and loaded with lots and lots of sex too.

But it also tells a story that will resonate with almost any kind of fan about the dangers of building something up in your mind and depending on that illusion to be the thing that makes you happy. The book's example is about how anime does this to some people with Japan but it could be about comic con or moving to New York to be an artist or anything really. It's actually really touching in it's weird, perverse way.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

MikeJF posted:

That school is... post high school, right?

I'd hope so. It seems to do a very poor job of actually educating children.

(Wolverine and the X-Men #19)

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Mister Chompers posted:

I haven't read it in many years I remember the X-Men/Teen Titans one being pretty good though.
X-Men/Teen Titans is one of the best crossovers, ever.

You've got Claremont at his prime and Walt Simonson on pencils knocking it out of the goddamn park on every page.

I like how they get around having the two teams meet.

They don't go though a wormhole or spacetime doesn't collapse on its self or whatever. Just "gosh it's weird that we've never met."

Also this is probably in the top 10 splash panels of all time

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Something I found on tumblr. No idea the issue:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Metal Loaf posted:

Is that the part of Cerebus that coincided with Dave Sim going off his rocker? I've never read Cerebus (though I've often thought I might like to) but I've heard it ended up becoming a vehicle for Sim's intense misogyny.
Nah, Church and State was really good.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

muscles like this? posted:

That doesn't look too dangerous actually.
1,000 hoops but does he have a...

(From Dial H #5 I think)

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
For real though: I'd read a Barda and Scott living in the suburbs book. Get Amanda Conner or Keith Giffen to draw it and put it on comixology with your other digital books and I'd probably buy an iPad to read it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Here's a page from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #13 that makes exactly as much sense out of context as it does in context.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Little Mac posted:

No way it totally makes sense! See, that's Cowlick the Giant Floating Space Cow Head and it's the only means of transport between Earth and Stump Asteroid where a sentient tree stump runs an intergalactic professional wrestling promotion that the Turtles were once kidnapped and forced into and Raph's been wearing his old wrestling gear to be a vigilante on the side outside the normal team but now Cowlick's come to take them back to Stump asteroid I think because Leatherhead, who is no longer a villain and found his calling as a space wrestler, needs their help with something.

Also Cowlick has to swallow them to take them through space.

Totes makes sense!
It must feel good to let that out after carrying it around inside for close to 20 years.

And for the record they are getting ready to return to Earth from Dimension-X where they had teamed up with Leatherhead to find the Turnstone for the goddess Cherubae.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

From Wha...Huh? I'm pretty sure.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Did you guys know the Amazons have a space program?

Wonder Woman #210

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Flash Annual #2

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
http://www.snowflamecomic.com/

This is a real thing someone is doing. It's real and you can read it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Jerusalem posted:

drat, Betty is stoned out of her loving mind.
Nah Betty is a lesbian when she's stoned.

From tumblr, I guess.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

CapnAndy posted:

And photoshopped, sadly. There's at least 20 years between when Veronica was drawn and when Betty was.
I figured as much. It's still kinda funny, I suppose.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Batman 66 #2

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
#SuperheroProblems

Empowered vol 1

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I see a lot of praise for that comic, but every time someone posts something from it here it looks like incomprehensible cheesecake bullshit.
As opposed to other superhero comics which are never incomprehensible cheesecake bullshit.

All that acclaim isn't a trick. We aren't trying to fool you into reading a bad comic. If you don't want to read it, that's fine. But just know that you're missing one of the most creative superhero books being published.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Gotham Girls #3

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Say Nothing posted:

Speaking of homages, the covers of the Adventure Time comic Marceline and the scream queens were based off famous album covers, which was pretty cool.
I liked the Love and Rockets homage

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I know this is a thing that has been popping up on the internet for forever but now I own a copy.

Five bucks at a convention. Best find of the day.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Urdnot Fire posted:

What exactly is Logan doing in that first panel?
Wolverine with a claw out ads 50 dollars to the price of the art when you sell it at a convention.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
That's an odd reaction to finding out someone has been captured by Arcade. More people have died at Six Flags than Murder World.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Did you guys know that Katie Cook, the artist on a bunch of those covers, actually has a whole lot of comics out you can buy? Worth checking out imho.

It feels like Dustin Nguyen is trying to tell us something in Li'l Gotham #9 but WHAT? I can't quite put my finger on it.

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 23, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I found some of the Strange Tales comics that Marvel put out a few years ago but instead of scanning the James Stokoe Silver Surfer story or the Michael Deforge comic guess what you nerds get to read!

Strange Tales II #3

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

TwoPair posted:

Crossposting this from the terrible runs thread because it's a classic. Also that whole linked album's great.

This one is my favorite:

Right up there with Newspaper Spider-Man, Hal.

Green Lantern v2 #5
This is cheating because it's from the Superfriends cartoon but I think it's probably the best "Hal Jordan gets knocked out by something" thing to ever happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5amfo0skBr8&t=115s

I'm still waiting for Sirena to appear in the comics in a space bikini and have her murder a billion people.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Deadpool's "I'm a notary" joke is lifted wholesale from an episode of Metalocalypse. Even the premise is basically identical.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Tales Designed to Thrizzle #1 (I think)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Formally Known as the Justice League #2 I think.

• Locked thread