Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Crazycryodude posted:

Actually I think you'll find that communism is when the government does things and the more the government does things the more communister is, capitalism is when the government does not do things and the fewer things it does the more capitalister it is, and this is a 0-100 sliding scale on one axis with no other considerations

I never knew it was that simple, thank you for making my life easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Better than atoms! :arghfist: :arghfist: :arghfist:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

And it's not enough. Despite the increase renewables adoption fossil fuel generating capacity continues to rise.

The problem is despite renewables forecast to increase, their overall share of the generating capacity remains minimal.

Yes this always struck me as a way to make number sound good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

silence_kit posted:

I get the point, but I don't see how government organizations are somehow immune to the perils and pitfalls of short term thinking, or to making blunders like that.

To paraphrase Phanatic: 'nationalize it' isn't a video game cheat code which instantly solves every social, political, organizational, etc. problem.

It's not a perfect solution and not 100% immune to fuckups, but I sure as gently caress think it's BETTER than the alternative most of the time.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

There's opposition here too to wind power plants. Or rather, they want a 3km minimum radius safety distance. Some people got them smacked up a 1km from home and say at times it makes it really drat annoying. But 3km means more expensive installations because the cheapest spots to install them on are near existing homes, and also landowners who wanted to make money are also pissed, so it's a pretty infected situation by now.

drat I wish we had SMRs

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I dunno they where able meet that requirement here by removing three of the proposed 16 wind mills that are going to be built.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

It's extremely important that we in the nordic countries prevent any further integration with continental europes electrical grid.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some integration has happened, and yes it has driven up prices. And we have to prevent it from getting any worse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

We need our power for our own phasing out our own fossil fuel production and transition. The last thing we need are increased electricity prices from further integration with the clusterfuck that is continental europe and it's power generation policies. We are really dependant on our access to cheap electricity, we don't use gas at all for instance.

Europe needs to fix it's own poo poo. And there's no way we'd be able to expand power generation up here to meet demand in the south and keep our prices down.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Long and short is Germany has to stop their Nuclear shutdown. They won't, but the idea that Germany is going to carry on with Coal till 2038 and Natural Gas for the indefinite future, they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Sweden gets 30% of their load of Nuclear alongside their Hydro.

Yeah so I don't want us to get pulled down with the continent, they are loving themselves over and I don't want to be paying for their stupidity.

I am watching this quite seriously and if things look like they are heading this way then I'll have to consider adding a firewood boiler for my house because the ground exchange heat pump won't be a usable solution if we get insane german price levels here. And I wouldn't be the only one.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 6, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

MiddleOne posted:

Is that really what is happening though...? Transfer costs are still a thing and wind power is at the point where it has to be exported south and east because it can and will push energy prices to 0€ during increasing periods of the year. Needless to say, this both makes increasing renewables more dicey (not what we want) and makes nuclear less profitable (also not what we want).

If the energy can travel south, theoretically, it should both increase growth of renewables and exert cost pressure southwards on coal and gas. Am I missing something here?

Well if they get better prices for it in the south of europe, why wouldn't producers rather sell there if they could? Integrating the grids means prices will converge, sure it might lead to some expansion of renewables, good for those times there's a surplus, but the other times? We'll be sharing our capacity with the rest of europe not just when we happen to have some really cheap power to sell, but all the time. German demand will surely drive our prices up and I don't think for a single second we could ever fill Germanys demand even with the wildest in your dreams expansion of renewables. And all the meanwhile our own electricity demand is constantly going up as we rely on electricity for more and more things. So yeah I don't think there's a snowballs chanse in hell that we'd get to keep our price levels, there's more money to be made in selling the power south.

[missed some words]

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 6, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Goons nowadays seems to think it's cool to think fusion is non viable and that it's gonna remain so.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aethernet posted:

Yes to (a), no to (b). Fusion isn't a single invention but requires multiple breakthroughs across a range of fields, particularly materials science. None of these are impossible, but given their diverse nature they're unlikely to all happen at once. We're therefore most likely to chip away at these angles for several decades before advances in varying fields get to a point where you can make a viable reactor.

This is, in fact, exactly how international collaboration around fusion is structured - not just through ITER, but through projects like IFMIF.

However, even when all these advances come through, there's no way that commercial fusion won't be highly capital intensive for a very a long time, and if you want a highly capital intensive always on low carbon source of power, just build fission plant.

Sure, but it just seems to me it's like cool to just slag on fusion research nowadays. Like it seems to me some people are implying we should just stop bothering with it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

"nowadays"

Fusion power always being 30 years away is a joke that's probably been around for longer than you've been alive lol

Those people have always existed, but it mostly seemed they where a mix of fossil fuel advocates and old boomers.

Young people always seemed to be more optimistic. Maybe it's a sign of the forums population ageing into their 40s.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Research is good. Ignoring other existing solutions based on pie in the sky research projections is bad.

The unfortunate reality is that there's no good reason to assume fusion will be viable at an industrial scale before climate change is even more baked in than it is today. And there's no way to know how fast it can be scaled from that point.

If human society is still chugging along in 2121 there's a decent chance fusion will be the primary power source. But that's going to be a hard target without other non carbon emitting energy sources in the interim.

Yes that is true, Fusion won't play a role in stopping climate change. But it's still a very worthwhile goal to work towards.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

And these fuckers are who we're supposed to integrate out electricity market with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

There's also a line from Norway to the UK as well.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Lol someone's bitter

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

To be honest, threadshitting & trolling is about all some people got left.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nuclear greenhouses sounds really nice, hope they build some SMRs in Närpes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Local news says finnish greens want nuclear power labeled as eco / green energy.
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/ohisalo_police_called_to_schools_to_protect_children_from_anti-vaccine_groups/12157414

quote:

Greens change position on nuclear power
The Green League has twice previously left a government coalition because of disagreements over nuclear power, but is now part of the current administration which has lobbied the EU to declare nuclear power a sustainable energy source.

Ohisalo told Ykkösaamu that her party's position on the matter has changed because the situation has changed, saying that the Greens now believe nuclear power is needed because climate change must be tackled by all means necessary.

"Along with [Finance Minister and Centre Party chair Anikka] Saarikko, we have sought to determine at the EU level, and based on research data, whether nuclear power is a form of energy that meets the boundary conditions of the Paris Climate Agreement and does not cause significant harm to biodiversity," Ohisalo explained.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

VideoGameVet posted:

Most of the plastic in the ocean is as a result of the fishing industry.

Ban fish, I don't even like sea food.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Wibla posted:

"But solar and wind is so cheap!" ... only if you don't take into account the capacity factor and the amount of (typically fossil fuel) reserve generation capacity you need to shore up production shortfalls when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining :v:

That's why we're paying out of our asses in europe for power atm. This is basically what I thought would happen 10 years ago when the germans got hysterical and everyone talked aobut how storage and smart grids would solve it. So far everyone's still talking about it, but I haven't seen any storage and I still don't know how the smart grid is meant to fix it, always felt a bit wishy washy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

According to the news, the french government just announced they want to comission six new reactors!

Liberté, égalité, fraternité et nucléaire

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

They made electronics stuff before mobile phones too, since the 60s they made mobile radios, telephone switches, capacitors and chemicals, it's a diverse company. Still make boots too, my warmest pair of boots are a pair of nokian naali.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Record electricity prices ATM and also a record cold november and december. Maybe not record breaking but it's frickin cold anyway, -20 right now and the temperature has been going up and down from -14 at warmest to -27 at it's coldest. I've adjusted my heatpump down so that the indoor temp is 16C, then I burn firewood to get it to 20C.

The way things are looking I don't want to be dependent on electricity anymore.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Aethernet posted:

One thing I've never understood about these systems is that surely it must be more efficient to have an alternative coolant loop attached to the burner to use as a heat source when outside temperatures are really low. Is it simply a coolant chemistry problem?

Solutions like that do exist (they work against a big tank), but the question in my case is: Where am I gonna store all that heat? To realistically store the energy given off by burning wood for a hydronic system you need a tank, and it'd be a pretty huge project to add one if it does not already have it. I do not for instance.

The common wisdom here is to make effective use of a wood boiler is that you need an insulated tank of many cubic meters at least. It's fine if that's gonna be your primary heating system, or if you are building a new house.

So I have a masonry heater that weighs in at around 1385kg iirc. It's quite effective at heating the house and I don't need a boiler room or any plumbing work done.

I'd love to have a boiler room though, but it's not realistic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

I mean that's the downside of every air source pump. If you really care, you dig a hole.

I got a borehole for my pump. It still requires electricity.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I live in Finland, the cheapest option I got is more firewood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Saukkis posted:

Life Cycle Assessment of Electricity Generation Options - UNITED NATIONS ECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR EUROPE
https://unece.org/sites/default/files/2021-10/LCA-2.pdf

Nuclear's coming of pretty well on most scores unless I am missing somthing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I guess it was too much to hope for that things would get better. Wood boiler purchase next

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Olkiluoto 3 is active! :toot: Not yet producing power for the grid, that'll happen in february.

https://svenska.yle.fi/a/7-10010571

Didn't find an english source for it. OL3 will stand for 15% of finnish electricity generation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That article only seemed to say they had gotten approval, but they're beyond that stage now, the reactor is actively fissioning material now, actual electrical production will start in february 2022 however.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

And they are burning more coal and gas to make up the difference. And will likely miss their climate goals for the next few years.

Ironically, its driving Japan and others to do the exact opposite.

Also making energy prices in europe higher than ever. People have returned to burning fuel oil in places, I hear pellet heater sales are doing really well in germany too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I hope it's real, but I don't think it's high chance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

QuarkJets posted:

The problem is that solar power isn't enough on its own, we need basically all green technologies on deck: solar, wind, fission, geothermal, etc. And hopefully some day fusion

What renewables really need is storage, cheap, scalable energy storage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

ROFL

https://twitter.com/zacharybasu/status/1496082574384549888

:lmao:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finland will seek to extend the life of the current reactors in Loviisa until 2050. To make them not reliant on russian technology and just because we need them to keep going.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Unfortunately the greenhouses are not near the nuke plants in Finland. Närpes is the main greenhouse area of the country. It's actually the area where there's a massive expansion of wind power going on though. In my home municipality which neighbors Närpes to the north they plan to build a 1.3 GW off shore wind farm.

It'll be pretty great for my municipality which is a tiny rural place, more jobs during construction and then a shitload of tax income. I don't particularly care for wind and how most people think it can actually work without providing nuclear backup, but at least it's gonna be good for the place I grew up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

https://www.montelnews.com/news/1312812/finnish-spot-power-prices-drop-significantly-after-ol3-start

OL3 power plant has already decrease spot prices in Finland and due to bottlenecks with the connectors to Sweden they can't take all the extra power, so that also results in lower finnish spot prices.

Very interesting demonstration of the market behavior and how exports factor in on domestic prices.