Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Awesome first post, that's a fascinating and inspirational plan. It's a bit late for me to launch into suggestions of my own, but I did do a little bit of number crunching to see what it would take to use the Australia plan here in the US.

Australia uses 228 TWh/year
USA uses 3,741 TWh/year

Zero Carbon Australia Cost: $370 billion
Zero Carbon USA Cost: $6.14 trillion

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Spazzle posted:

The calculations in the op are really bad and the costs are likely to be many times higher. You cant just overcome intermitancy by splitting your generators into different sites, you also have to overbuild and invest in storage. You also need a system that will work all the time, every year regardless of weather.

The premise of the thread is to be as numbers heavy as possible. Even though these criticisms are valid in principle, I think that they should be backed up with hard data or rescinded as a matter of course.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Once again, you are completely failing to discount the costs involved. What's the point of tossing around a bunch of nominal dollar figures?

I don't quite follow you. Could you please generate an example of the correct accounting of the figures?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

spankmeister posted:

Depends on your definition. In Chernobyl the reactor DID explode, and at Fukushima the reactors remained more or less intact, but (hydrogen) explosions DID occur.
Of course you're probably talking about the reactor going up in a mushroom cloud like a nuclear bomb, in which case the answer is no.

That kind of thing really irked me with the Fukushima coverage. A car engine is constantly exploding, but when you read "a car exploded on the freeway today" you don't get a bunch of folks coming in and equivocating on the definitions.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

jfreder posted:

There aren't any literal explosions in an internal combustion engine but I understand the point you are making. Edit: unless you mean deflagration

Rapid combustion that emits a gas pressure wave is literally an explosion.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yes of course, and it'd be the same for wind or anything else, but after they're built I mean. 'Not having to keep on digging up the fuel' I suppose would be a more accurate way to describe it.

So, without trying to play gotcha too much, are you good with recovering uranium from sea water?

quote:

OAK RIDGE, Tenn., Aug. 21, 2012 — Fueling nuclear reactors with uranium harvested from the ocean could become more feasible because of a material developed by a team led by the Department of Energy's Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

The combination of ORNL's high-capacity reusable adsorbents and a Florida company's high-surface-area polyethylene fibers creates a material that can rapidly, selectively and economically extract valuable and precious dissolved metals from water. The material, HiCap, vastly outperforms today's best adsorbents, which perform surface retention of solid or gas molecules, atoms or ions. HiCap also effectively removes toxic metals from water, according to results verified by researchers at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.

"We have shown that our adsorbents can extract five to seven times more uranium at uptake rates seven times faster than the world's best adsorbents," said Chris Janke, one of the inventors and a member of ORNL's Materials Science and Technology Division.

http://www.ornl.gov/info/press_releases/get_press_release.cfm?ReleaseNumber=mr20120821-00

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 6, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hobo Erotica posted:

Can someone tell me if that's what Kaal's link actually means? I get that it extracts 7 times as much 7 times as fast, but is that enough to be viable?

And once it starts happening at scale, would removing those quantities of uranimum have any affect on the functioning on the oceans?

The classic issue with recovering uranium from the sea water is finding an efficient method of doing so. They basically do it by setting up a uranium filter, and then running thousands of gallons of water through it. It's workable, particularly because fuel costs are such a small part of nuclear reactor overhead, but the method is inefficient and fairly time and cost prohibitive compared to simply mining it ($300/kg versus $150/kg). These scientists have found a filter that is 5-7 times more effective, which should decrease costs and water usage similarly. If the technology proves out, mining uranium could quickly be made obsolete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_mining#Recovery_from_seawater

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Even more exciting, 2012 saw 12 GW of wind power installations. Unfortunately that record level of renewable energy growth is at severe risk of being halted unless the tax credits are renewed. I'd expect that solar has a similar relationship with its subsidies. My parents have residential solar, but they have no intention of adding another line of panels until they are eligible for more tax credits. That said, providing incentives for individuals to invest in domestic renewable energy is probably one of the best decisions that government can make. Electricity, regardless of its source, is the future, and it needs the same kind of broad government support as oil received in its own infancy.

http://energy.aol.com/2012/09/21/wind-energy-in-the-us-record-breaking-growth-at-risk/

quote:

The US wind industry is on track for a record-breaking year. In August, the American Wind Energy Association announced a milestone 50 GW of capacity and installations will this year beat previous records.

Matt Kaplan, US wind analyst at IHS Emerging Energy Research, estimates that 12 GW will be installed this year.

"We're expecting that 2012 will be the largest year for wind installations in the US," he said.

But the banner year for America's wind industry will be followed by a dramatic collapse in rates of installation that could sink as low as 2 GW or less, said Kaplan.

"We've seen a bit of jobs losses and manufacturing lines going down so far, but we do expect that to continue. We've also seen a couple of wind project development companies cut staff as well."

The Production Tax Credit first introduced in 1992 has helped the US reach 50GW of installed capacity. But the 2.2 cent per kilowatt hour federal subsidy is due to expire at the end of this year unless Congress agrees to extend it. When the PTC expired three times previously, installation rates crashed by up to 94%.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 17, 2012

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Interesting post GulMadred. Could you talk a bit about what the feed-in tariff is and how it interacts with the various power source options?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Wow, thanks for that fantastic response GulMadred, that was extremely informative. Someone ought to link to that in the OP has an example of the inner-workings of energy generation. It sounds like FIT programs are still shaking out the bureaucratic bugs. I'm surprised that they're having so many contractual issues - but that might just be coming from an American perspective where every contract is laden with securities and assurances (unless they are deliberately removed to take advantage of government). Does anyone know how we deal with this issue here in the states? My understanding has been that privatization has turned the thing into a bureaucratic nightmare (a la the Enron scandal) but has mostly replaced government liability with consumer liability (i.e. your rates might skyrocket, but your taxes won't change). Of course it also removes our ability to consider non-fiduciary factors entirely. Given the choice, I'd probably choose FIT over Enron.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 24, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

We see improvements in nuclear reactor design all the time - we just don't see it in the United States. Canada, for instance, is regularly updating its CANDU designs to create a very safe and secure blueprint. The EU has its own standardized designs that are being built throughout the continent. The US is simply disinterested, and is building gas and oil power plants instead.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It still bothers me that this thread's title is misspelled.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Arghy posted:

I most just want to be able to explain just what happens in confidence since even i'm still hazy about what exactly emits radiation in places like fukushima. I atleast try to avoid talking out my rear end constantly and openly admit things i dont know.

Why is the water radioactive for example? they say their releasing tons of contaminated water but i dont know why that water is contaminated--did the core breach releasing fission products or is it stuff from the spent fuel rods? Just what exactly is a fission byproduct? i watched those 10 hour long lectures and i still cant say with confidence just what exactly is emitting radiation in the water. I was under the assumption that it was cesium and another element which was emitting radiation which was the byproduct of the fissioning spent fuel rods.

Any idiot can realize that any contaminated water is getting diluted to hell and poses no threat but just why the water is radioactive in the first place is a good question.

This article should answer most of your questions regarding the source of the contaminated water and its relatively minor risks to the public at large:

The Atlantic posted:

This makeshift cooling system is a conceptually simple cycle. Water is constantly pumped to the stricken reactor vessels containing the damaged fuel. Because the integrity of internal various containment units was compromised, the water not only becomes contaminated by its pass over the damaged core but also finds its way into the buildings’ basements. The water is then pumped back out of the building, processed, and pumped through the building again.

In practice, however, the system is not a neat, closed cycle; and it is here that major problems begin to appear. The entire site bristles with conduits, tunnels, and trenches, which, unfortunately, allow some of the untainted groundwater on its way to the sea to leak into these basements. This net inflow of about 400 tons of water per day, amounting to the carrying capacity of about 13 large gasoline trucks, adds continuously to the volume of contaminated water that must be processed and contained. The solution so far has been to keep building more storage tanks and reservoirs on site.

Uphill of the stricken reactors is land covered with almost 1,000 of these water storage units. After two and a half years, they already hold enough water to fill 120 Olympic-size swimming pools, and their burden continues to grow. This colossal effort is unsustainable. Not surprisingly, leaks have begun to appear.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/10/how-fukushima-is-contaminating-more-water/280671/

You might also find it helpful to check out a brief summary of nuclear plant functionality. It's simple (it's from the classic nuclear fearfest The China Syndrome but it helps to visualize the problem - a ruptured core filled with fuel assemblies (assemblies are made of control rods and fuel rods that are made of pellets) is being cooled by water that is then being treated and cycled through again. But there's extra water draining into the plant, which means they are having to store it in massive ad hoc water tanks (that are then leaking out of the plant and into the ocean):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIxzVkS4Hrg

Hobo Erotica posted:

Here are some of the points raised which you might be able to address: :words:

The problem here is that this is a negative argument by exhaustion. Each of these prompts could easily take 500-1000 words to fully respond to, and most of them could be answered quite easily with just a little bit of research and familiarization. Identifying concerns is fine, but a good journalist should also be trying to seek out the truth. Instead, that video skips from clip to clip making unsupported assertions and "raising questions" that it has no interest in resolving. It's an anonymous source that is too unreliable to use as a foundation for a discussion.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 10, 2013

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Neurotic Nurse posted:

Well, I suppose that you're at least honest about your source, a conversation, which I cant verify, so I'm prepared to call it bullshit. Anecdotal yep, but my party branch as exactly zero scientists in it, three physicians, four registered nurses, and an enrolled nurse.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/party-vote-by-professions-december-2012-201306140318

This is a stupid thing to be arguing about, and your hippie boogieman concept is also really dumb.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

blowfish posted:

Problem: you need like 3-4 times overcapacity at least to get reasonably secure base load power, and you need to add storage to do that. That's going to increase wind/solar costs quite a bit if they are to be the backbone of your power grid.

I hear this complaint a lot, but it really is something of a red herring. Renewable power constitutes 13% of total output in Australia, and most of that is from hydro plants. Realistically that problem isn't actually an issue that anyone is going to face for 50 years, even if they go full-bore into renewable wind/solar. For a society that typically doesn't plan past the next election, it's odd that we have such a fixation on wind/solar's role in the distant future.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

blowfish posted:

However (looking at it from a "we'd like to avoid the worst of climate change" perspective) we need to be done in 50 years, not just so far along that intermittent power generation starts to matter.

Well realistically that's never going to happen. Australia is one of the best candidates for renewable energy generation, and even after going after all the low-hanging fruit they're still only expanding the market percentage* by something like two percent per year. Right now their renewable target scheme is 20% by 2020, and that includes hydropower (60% of their current renewable capacity). And Germany had a similar expansion rate over the last decade as they expanded to 25%, which is why their target is only 35% for 2020. Even if they are able to maintain their rapid rate of growth, it will still take several decades before renewable energy constitutes a majority of power generation in Germany, much less the rest of the world.

Avoiding the worst of climate change, if it is possible at all, requires a global New Deal on Energy where the big industrial countries commit to massive orders of nuclear and renewable power infrastructure; or it will require an unlikely Hail Mary technological breakthrough a la environmental nanotechnology to scrub the atmosphere or fusion power generation that will immediately obsolete fossil fuel power. And given that both of those solutions lack public financial support, it seems likely that we will just have to suffer through it. Perhaps as cities incur increasingly devastating natural disasters and lowered air quality they will refocus their attentions on the issue, but given the collective shrugging in the face of annual devastating hurricanes and ecological die-offs, and industrial centers like Los Angeles or Shanghai having smog days where everyone wears masks to go outside, I think it is unlikely that we'll see much on that front.

*The contribution of renewable power generation as a percentage of overall national output.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 14, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Nuclear is not cheaper than Wind or Hydro using a levelized cost of electricity. Also, it is taking about 2 years to bring a 1GW wind project online in the US (Buffet's MidAmerican, its in 3 farms) and it takes about 4 months in China. When was the last time a reactor was built in the west that wasn't at least 2 years delayed?

All of this can be laid directly at the feet of Congress regularly implementing new and harsher regulatory conditions upon nuclear operators. It shouldn't be a shock that construction gets delayed when you change the laws halfway through construction and double or triple the cost. Right now nuclear energy in the first world has been legislated into obsolescence, and it simply can't compete economically with anything. As a result, it costs significantly more to produce nuclear power now than it did 50 years ago. Meanwhile, nuclear energy in China is a booming industry that puts out massive amounts of power very quickly and very cheaply. In fact they're worried about building them too quickly and straining their logistical chains.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

And it's important to remember that as laudable as the MidAmerican project is, it's also the largest wind project ever and it still represents only .1% of the 1,000 GW energy generation capacity here in America. If we had 10 of those projects every year, it would take 50 years to become a majority power source. It's not enough.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 14, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

Imagine how loving cheap nuclear would be if all the political red-tape in the regulations were eliminated and we just had a few mass-produced standard designs...

By the by, that solution is actually extant in the form of the AP1000 nuclear power plant. China has adopted it as its official inland design standard, and is intending on building 100 of them over the next five years. The US is similarly adopting it as a go-to design. The AP1000 represents a bright new future for nuclear power, even if that bright future only happens in Guangdong Province.

The problem, of course, is that people are still going back and trying to regulate it further and further. After 9/11, they redesigned it to survive a direct hit from an airplane without batting an eye. After Fukushima, regulators came back and started demanding all sorts of increased earthquake protection, onsite power generation and protected fuel storage. At one point, they were seriously thinking about putting a second containment vessel around the first containment vessel, in case it rusted through and no one noticed. It's insane. Can you imagine if a wind turbine had to have a secondary nacelle around the primary nacelle, and the justification was, "Well what if the first one rusted through and the blades came off and fell down and killed a maintenance worker?"

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

the EIA's levelized cost of electricity for new generation?

http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/aeo/electricity_generation.cfm

Just as an FYI, the EIA is extremely clear that you should not be comparing their estimate levelized cost between wind turbines and nuclear power, because wind turbines are non-dispatchable and therefore you're comparing apples and oranges. That's why they separated dispatchable and non-dispatchable technologies in the first place. If that's what you're basing your arguments on, then it's much shakier ground than what you've been presenting.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 14, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

It is including the capacity factor. It doesn't include unplanned intermittency, which yes is more of an issue with Wind than Nuclear but is actually an issue for both.

Edit: The EIA's caveat is yes, no one is deciding between building a nuclear plant or a wind farm.

EIA posted:

In the tables in this discussion, the levelized cost for each technology is evaluated based on the capacity factor indicated, which generally corresponds to the high end of its likely utilization range. Simple combustion turbines (conventional or advanced technology) that are typically used for peak load duty cycles are evaluated at a 30-percent capacity factor. The duty cycle for intermittent renewable resources, wind and solar, is not operator controlled, but dependent on the weather or solar cycle (that is, sunrise/sunset) and so will not necessarily correspond to operator dispatched duty cycles. As a result, their levelized costs are not directly comparable to those for other technologies (even where the average annual capacity factor may be similar) and therefore are shown in separate sections within each of the tables. The capacity factors shown for solar, wind, and hydroelectric resources in Table 1 are simple averages of the capacity factor for the marginal site in each region. These capacity factors can vary significantly by region and can represent resources that may or may not get built in EIA capacity projections. These capacity factors should not be interpreted as representing EIA's estimate or projection of the gross generating potential of resources actually projected to be built.

I don't think that you can get far away from the fact that you're using their data in ways that they specifically tell you not to do because it doesn't work.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

Couple that with the reality that nuclear is consistent and inflexible. Nuclear plants (and coal) can't shut down in the middle of the night and then power back up for the day. In a grid with a lot of nuclear, it becomes less cost effective for renewables to operate.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. Nuclear plants are fully capable of conducting load-following, and they do it in France all the time. Nuclear power is just so cheap to operate and supply so much power that there's no reason to turn it down unless there's no fossil fuel alternative.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Trabisnikof posted:

This is sum of irony of this thread wrapped up in a little package. People pretending to care about energy, the environment, or society. Its not about science, economics or even logic. Because really, its all just about feelings and identities wrapped up in polices. Just like the "hippies" and "environmentalists" you so openly mock.

This is just a misplaced attempt at martyrdom. I am a hippie environmentalist, and I'd love for the solution to just be wind farms and reduced consumerism, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept bad math.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

I could have sworn we had the whole "[raw] output has exceeded ignition energy [but not even close to what we actually put in because our process is laughably inefficient]!" thing months ago. Before that, I was under the impression that nobody seriously considers this reactor design to have potential for power generation because it can't be scaled up and there's no way to insert fuel/remove waste without turning it off. :crossarms:

They're making real progress in fusion, and they're able to generate fusion reactions that are energy positive, but they're having problems delivering energy efficiently to the fusion reaction (since it activates and expands) and being able to maintain the reaction. As such you have an energy positive fusion reaction, but an energy negative fusion system. They're getting closer, but they still don't think that they have the fundamental understandings needed to create the system. As such they're still effectively conducting physics research, rather than design engineering. On the flip side, this kind of breakthrough is quite exciting, as it means that they're beginning to have an understanding of what an energy positive reaction looks like, and what forces are at play when it occurs. I don't think it's time for doom and gloom. If they (or one of the several other teams working on parallel solutions) can turn this into a purely engineering problem, then that'll be quite an accomplishment.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 13, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Pander posted:

The primary problem is that they essentially need what today would be considered magic to make fusion work as an energy producer. Cheap heat isn't the problem, it's cheap pressure to confine the fuel. The entire premise of fusion is recreating the sun, and we simply can't create the gravity well required to keep a fusion reaction self-sustaining like fission reactions are. Calling fusion a physics problem is calling the ability for humans to flap their arms and fly a biology problem.

FYI the study that we're talking about uses laser focusing rather than artificial gravity wells to keep the reaction self-sustaining. There's a bunch of different ideas about how to do it. I think that it's a surety that we'll eventually figure it out, whereas a winged human is physically impossible (because of weight) unless you radically change that nature of what a human is. I don't think that you're really giving fusion scientists a fair shake here.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

amanasleep posted:

I think this is true of main line Tokamak/NIF/ITER efforts. They have huge funding and poor results over decades of work. Of the alternative approaches, almost none have any significant funding (many for good reason). Still, I think it's a bit much to claim that fusion research is a waste of resources compared to expenditures on other energy solutions. Fusion power in general is not a part of the public imagination, so I don't think there is any danger that somehow people are going to get sidetracked from whatever priorities you think they should have.

To be clear, I am not opposed to nuclear research and power development in a properly regulated environment. But I think a few fusion approaches have merit and I am convinced that there is nothing theoretically infeasible about fusion power development within the same time horizon of other alternative energy proposals.

I dunno about huge funding. They've been consistently moderately funded for the last 60 years, and the total spending is somewhere in the neighborhood of $30 billion, I believe. That's maybe $500 million per year, and that's considered pretty low compared to the scale of our energy problems and the kind of money we spend on other fields (i.e. the US has spent $600 billion in oil, coal and natural gas subsidies over that same time period). The US spent $5.2 billion on energy research last year, meaning that fusion research constitutes perhaps 10% of overall energy research spending (which itself is pretty low).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/04/09/three-charts-that-show-the-u-s-spends-too-little-on-energy-research/
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/reframe/wasteful
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 14, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hedera Helix posted:

Could someone who knows more about nuclear power plants explain the logistics of this, because this does not sound like a good idea

It was a cost-saving measure enacted during the 1950s by the USSR in their RBMK design. The basic idea was that a containment building was unnecessary so long as the technicians were monitoring the reactor adequately. Only a third of Russia's reactors are still the old RBMK types, while the rest are newer designs that do have containment structures, so that assertion on Wikipedia isn't really true any more.

The containment building is an emergency fourth level of protection against radiation emission, and not involved in normal operation of the reactor. It should be differentiated from the reactor vessel, which is the third level of protection. The RBMK design didn't use it because it more than doubles the expense of construction and makes it more difficult to refuel and maintain the reactor. Their thinking was they wanted a design that was safe because of its simplicity to operate. But after the Chernobyl accident, which was an RBMK reactor, the USSR updated its standards and retrofitted its existing inventory with partial containment structures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBMK#Containment

Kaal fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 6, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I actually think that the artificial noise generator is a fairly good idea, particularly since it's also coupled with a reduced noise mandate for gas-engined vehicles. The idea should be to gradually reduce the overall sound impact of cars. Once gas-engined cars are quieter and there's less ambient noise, the noise generators on electric cars can be turned down further since they'll be easier to hear.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 21, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I come at this thread from the opposite perspective of silence_kit, but I'm pretty ok with talking about other forms of environmental technology.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Ardennes posted:

Someone dismissing green technologies one by one is probably anti-green.

It seems more like you're just making a blanket accusation that anyone who is pro-nuclear is anti-green. Do you have an example of someone who is "anti-green", because I don't think I've come across many like that in this thread?

Ardennes posted:

That said, since SA has gone pretty right-wing, a lot of threads have.

Ah yes, D&D is basically Freep, as we all know

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 8, 2014

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

If I may, I have a technical (or perhaps production related) question. Back in the early 90s, there was talk about, and development of, thin film silicon photovoltaic technologies, with the notion that transparent or semitransparent photovoltaic films could be used in building integrated applications, for example coatings on exterior glass surfaces. The technology still appears to be around, but I can't seem to find anything on why it isn't more widespread. Problems with efficiencies? Photodegradation? Not commercially viable at current production volumes based on energy yield?

The University of Oregon has a business department building that is LEED certified and has the semitransparent photovoltaics that you're talking about. I think they look really cool! If you don't know what they are, they just look like inlaid art. It's pretty classy and understated. They work pretty well since the building is designed for efficiency - they're placed so they look out onto the grand courtyard and get plenty of sun.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hobo Erotica posted:

Oh man, that's actually a pretty good idea.

Maybe for an NGO or a venture capitalist, but it'd be completely irresponsible for a nation-state that is nominally beholden to its citizens.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hobo Erotica posted:

One planet, brother.

Literally I mean. As in, if Germany is trying to lower the carbone pollution produced by their energy generation for its effect on the global climate, that money would perform much better in India.

For the local particulate emissions, yeah ok maybe they should keep it in Germany.

One planet, but millions of people. Those national governments exist to look after the collective interests of those people, and taking German taxpayer's dollars to build windmills in India directly conflicts with German economic and environmental interests. The only way I could see something like what you're suggesting being considered would be if there was some sort of international cap-and-trade program, that emphasized an overall reduction in emissions or increase in energy efficiency.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, golf courses are pretty atrocious when it comes to water conservation. It's kind of insane that California is still allowing so many golf courses to keep consuming so much water, despite long-standing drought conditions

What really got my goat was watching the Open Tournament and seeing an actual Scottish Highland golf course, and realizing that it was far more water efficient because they hadn't replaced every obstacle and plant scrub with super short grass just so that it'd be easier to play. These super boring and water-wasting fields are completely optional to the game of golf.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

I think the rate of stomachs in Japan is still about 100 per capita.

In Japan everyone's 99 problems is how many extra stomachs they have.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

It would probably also require razing whole forests and using up an assload of cropland, if we started using it for any significant fraction of coal's current usage. The much smaller populations of Europe centuries ago before coal really boomed faced impending lack of wood and crops to burn for energy before coal became practical. And that was with way smaller energy requirements.

Biomass is quite efficient for domestic heat production, which is its primary utility. In that capacity, there isn't really anything that is more efficient or environmentally-friendly since it requires very little infrastructure (though it can cause localized air quality issues in dense residential areas). Here in Oregon (specifically Eugene), 25% of homes require biomass to heat the building. Upgrading all of them to use electrical or fossil-fuel heating would be counter-productive in terms of environmental cost, particularly because our winters are mild. Biomass is fundamentally a carbon-neutral energy source because the time-scale of sequestration > release > sequestration is short (energy crops are harvested annually) and generally occurs on its own regardless of whether it burns or rots.

Beyond that, biomass energy production can be a good use for industrial waste (woodpulp) or unproductive agricultural land (switchgrass). It can also be a good revenue source to permit more intensive forest management in National Parks that can't be allowed to burn naturally. The idea that biomass energy production requires cutting down mature trees is rather obsolete. Economics alone would dictate that those trees be cut for lumber long before they were burned for energy.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 28, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, but coal isn't being used for that, so you wouldn't be replacing the few remaining coal burning household heaters in the country, you'd be replacing actual coal electrical plants that need sometimes hundreds of tons of coal a day. It's orders of magnitude bigger impact than heating a bunch of hippie/farmer cabins that only need the heat a few months a year

Coal is used for electrical generation, and a lot of electricity is used to heat houses during the winter. In those older houses where biomass is used to heat instead of central heating, biomass directly replaces that energy cost (and in a much more efficient way than electrical room heaters). I think that you might be surprised at how many normal, residential houses still use wood fireplaces and pellet stoves.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 28, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's a very small number that have wood fireplaces and pellet stoves that can adequately heat the house, especially with the move to fireplaces as means of decoration starting in the 50s or so. Unless you're talking about retrofitting houses with normal central heat systems that currently run off electricity, oil, or gas?

The vast majority of housing stock out there is either natural gas (about half) or electric (somewhere around 35-40%. Functional fireplaces for whole-home heating are very rare in practice, and pellet burners or other solid fuel furnaces are quite rare.

10 - 12% of American homes use wood for a primary or secondary heat source. That's more than 35 million people. More than two percent of American homes use wood as the sole source of heat. Pellet stoves were invented in the 1980s, and Americans have installed more than a million of them since then.

http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/5849/2010-census-shows-wood-is-fastest-growing-heating-fuel

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 28, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

So they're already using it as a source of heat and therefore they're not going to use less coal by continuing to use the wood. I'm not getting what you're trying to propose, they sure haven't been burning coal in those systems for quite some time. Also it's the "fastest growing method" because it started from very little recent usage.

Again, the alternative is that they go back to using coal-based electricity - not freezing to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

blowfish posted:

And what Trabisnikof said. If it's from waste, it obviously doesn't come with as much extra environmental damage. Are there estimates of how much of the country we can run on waste wood chips and landfill methane? I bet it's enough to be economically interesting, but not enough to actually sustain an all renewable grid.

Well it certainly isn't possible for the entire country to run on biomass, if only because there are some things it does well and some things it does not. But there are some promising developments with so-called energy crops, which are hardy, energy-rich plants that require little in the way of close oversight or fertilization. Switchgrass, for instance, can be planted into rocky or steep fields and then be machine-harvested once a year for ten years or more. Switchgrass is so easy to take care of that it gets ornamentally planted by many commercial developers since it doesn't really need irrigation or weeding and basically takes care of itself. It would also be a good candidate for genetic modification, so as to further increase its productivity.

If people are looking for a silver-bullet solution, then biomass is not it. If people have recognized that a silver-bullet solution doesn't exist, then it's a pretty interesting field of development.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 28, 2015