Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Spazzle posted:

You can't just use average values of solar radiation
They didn't. The report used 2 years worth of geographic insolation data, evaluated based on the location and size of the hypothetical CST facilities and the efficiency of the chosen technology, averaged into 30-minute chunks for convenience, and compared to historical electricity demand for those two years (with a +40% multiplier since they also want to convert a bunch of industries and residential services away from oil/gas/coal).

quote:

If you have a couple of days where the weather deviates significantly from the average value your backup capacity will be unable to keep up.
This was covered in the report (around page 80). The grid model actually did encounter several periods where there were significant, simultaneous, and prolonged (multi-day) shortages of both wind and solar power across several regions, which would have produced brownouts. However, the system was designed to cover this contingency - the hypothetical biomass furnaces were fired up, the existing hydro turbines were spun up, and the imaginary system managed to satisfy demand.

quote:

You need to significantly overbuild your infrastructure to compensate.
This is included in the report; the system frequently produces a >100% surplus (w/r/t the +40% electrical demand already baked into the assumptions). Presumably this surplus would be consumed by a growing fleet of electric cars, or perhaps opportunistic industrial applications (some sort of time-share aluminum smelters? desalination?).

A few caveats:
  • the study period is limited to two years; a larger scope would certainly reveal larger fluctuations (and thus a need for greater overcapacity in the design). If we're going to demand that nuclear plants be built to withstand thousand-year events, then we shouldn't allow renewable projects to skate by on short-range analysis.
  • their wind modeling is deficient, since they haven't used site-specific historical data (e.g. anemometer readings). Instead they've taken the total observed output of actual wind farms during the study period and then scaled it up to produce minute-by-minute values which reflect the greater capacity of the proposed system, but they haven't properly accounted for regional variation.
  • I lack the expertise to judge their plans w/r/t transmission lines. Perhaps the grid analysis is flawed in that it freely "shares" regional surpluses to cover coincident regional shortfalls, without fairly accounting for transmission losses (and/or hard limits on regional interlink capacity).
    • Arguably, the deleterious effects of regional shortages could be mitigated by dynamic pricing and demand shaping. If you can get a nation to sign onto a project like this, then presumably there will be some public willingness to make occasional lifestyle adjustments.
  • I can't find much actual detail on the proposed biomass logistics. E.g. how much material would be stored at each site, how long could each site continue operating in the event of a prolonged reduction in insolation (e.g. Tambora event), how quickly could the on-site stockpiles be replenished after a prolonged burning interval, how would they choose the proportion of agri waste to be pelletised each year (vs how much to be retained as green fertilizer), etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

the posted:

Imagine if every home of the 55,000 homes in my town had solar panels on the roof? Our power demands would drop tremendously.
It depends on where you live and on how the equipment is deployed (e.g. roof slope, efficiency of your inverter, etc). Government subsidy programs can improve the ROI for installing the panels, but EROEI is dictated by physics and engineering. If your area gets heavy snowfall then the energy payback on your PV panels is going to be lousy; they may even get destroyed by ice or hail before they've reached parity. The majority of US electricity is obtained by burning fossil fuels, so setting up marginal or sub-marginal rooftop PV is an anti-environmentalist proposition.

Unless you've invested heavily in battery arrays, then your family is not going to power itself (because your generation and consumption patterns always peak at different times of day, and often in different seasons). You'll sell power onto the grid sometimes (which is a big pain in the rear end for the local utility to deal with; many of them refuse to accommodate household feed-in until forced to do so by legislators/regulators) and you'll buy it back at most other times.

Suburban wind turbines are probably a non-starter. Your neighbours (and/or HOA) will bitch about visual pollution, loss of property value, noise, bird kills, EM allergies, zoning disputes, etc... And if the idea actually catches on, then the ROI/EROEI will decline as each newly-constructed windmill casts its shadow across the existing ones. You might even see neighbours suing each other, as "early adopters" seek to block new deployments (in order to safeguard their own investment). Also, most windmills have a minimum cut-in speed - they'll generate zero power until the wind exceeds a critical threshold (which is why they're built en masse in high-wind-intensity corridors, rather than being scattered about the country at the whim of homeowners).

If you want to build "green households", then you should aim for the low-hanging fruit first:
  • energy-efficient windows and doors
  • rainwater collection for lawns and gardens
  • improved insulation standards
  • encourage the use of local construction materials
  • etc
If you're determined to put something on your roof, then you'll get more mileage out of a solar thermal system than a PV array.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Aureon posted:

Another mean is needed.
I've searched your posts, but I can't find any reference to the biomass-fired backup furnaces that ZCA2020 proposes for their CST sites. The endurance is obviously limited (e.g. I doubt that you could sustain biomass burning for the duration of a snowy/hazy Minnesota winter), and I expect that the power output would be less than the facility's full-insolation output. However, the ZCA2020 grid modeling suggests that the concept is feasible, at least on paper.

A few concerns have been raised in this thread (e.g. hybrid solar/biomass has not been proven on a commercial scale; biomass should not be considered a carbon-neutral energy source; it would be infeasible for most nations because they lack Australia's extremely consistent insolation). I'm wondering if you have some fundamental objection to this approach, or a reason why you think it would be unworkable in practice?

Or is the biomass backup scheme irrelevant because you don't believe in the feasibility (and/or economics) of their proposed CST tech?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Narbo posted:

Efficiency won't solve any energy problems alone but it's a fantastically cheap place to start.
Emphasis mine. The issue is that cogeneration and efficiency improvements, while initially the most cost-effective path, will eventually reach a point of marginal-cost parity with one or more non-fossil power generation options. If we believe that nuclear power is going to form a larger part of the eventual energy mix, then we'll probably want to start building reactors before that tipping point is reached, simply because nuclear has longer lead times than other options.

Even if we assume massive standardization/streamlining of design and regulation, there are only a few foundries in the world the world that can cast a PWR pressure vessel. In the case of CANDU-type reactors, the current global production of heavy water would be sufficient to provide for only one to two new reactors per year. Regardless of the exact reactor technology, we'd also need to ramp-up mining, fuel fabrication, and (don't forget!) training of specialized construction crews and reactor technicians.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Cartoon posted:

As it effects almost all energy sources, has anyone ever calculated the effect on global warming that the energy exchange between the heated vapour and the atmosphere involves?
Electricity generation adds up to a few terawatts. Solar input is 174 petawatts. Our raw heat contribution to warming is miniscule; it's our tinkering with climate forcing agents (with a particular focus on especially positive feedback mechanisms) that matters. Water vapour itself is an important greenhouse gas, but human activity does not significantly alter its atmospheric prevalence.

Your point has been explored in science fiction, though. The classic novel Ringworld included a highly-advanced race whose industrial processes generated so much heat that they had to remove insolation from the equation (by moving their homeworld away from its star) lest the planet's surface become uninhabitable.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Flaky posted:

Has any research been done on marrying nuclear fuel with a fuel cell type set-up instead of using steam pressure to push a big ol' turbine?
Some proposed reactor designs operate at very high temperatures, and might be capable of thermally dissociating water (rather than suffering the inefficiencies of heat -> steam -> turbine -> generator -> electricity -> electrolysis). The liberated hydrogen could then be captured, shipped around the world (in a hypothetical distribution grid) and used in automotive fuel cells as an alternative to biofuels or (expensive+heavy) batteries.

This is very speculative, though, because the automotive fleet switchover would take decades and hydrogen itself is a pain-in-the-rear end to distribute. For the present, any new nuclear power plants should be used to retire coal-fired power plants.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I'm not sure what modelling you're talking about here. Weather pattern modelling?
He's referring to the grid modeling (page 80 of the PDF). They've analyzed two years of historical insolation and turbine output, to show that the proposed grid would have been sufficient to meet Australia's energy demand (plus 40% for the hypothetical electric-car switchover).

A longer-baseline model would tend to include more unusual events (e.g. loss of insolation due to volcanic haze) which would force the designers to increase the nameplate capacity of the system and/or improve their backups (conserved hydro and biomass-firing).

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Flaky posted:

I agree that it was extraordinary. I had never heard a claim (and it wasn't the only amazing one) like it which is why I linked the video.
Your video involves a team of scientific and policy experts talking to a funding group. Of course they're going to present an optimistic view of their technology and make extraordinary claims: they want the dudes in the audience to sign cheques when the presentation is over! You'll notice that one lady in the audience, upon seeing the professor hold up a sheet of printed PV film, during a presentation about renewable energy, has to be told what the abbreviation "PV" means. This isn't necessarily the most sophisticated, bullshit-averse audience; you shouldn't take the claims at face value.

Even then, your summary was misleading. The $25 million pitch was the capital cost of a single new printing facility (it was also secondhand information; I tried to find a firsthand source on the University of Melbourne website but didn't get any results). Printing 25 GW of nameplate capacity (over a ten year period) would require additional money for operating costs and raw materials (probably wages also, but maybe they could get undergraduate students to work in the factory for partial course credit). 25 GW of nameplate capacity is not the same thing as 25 GW of grid-available power, since you lose a bit of output with every instance of inefficiency: suboptimal installation geometry, urban haze, dust accumulation, etc. The $25m also excludes the deployment cost. Buying a half-kilowatt worth of magic plastic at the Home Depot and slapping it on your roof and windows is awesome; wiring it up, fighting city hall for zoning and permits, waiting for the electrician to show up, installing an inverter + feed-in meter + battery array... less awesome (and also fairly expensive). You've also omitted an important caveat which was mentioned in the context of the $25m claim:

Professor Mike Sandiford: "This ([thin-film Si photovoltaic]) hasn't gotten there yet. This is in the development phase. There's huge challenges in taking this sort of technology from the laboratory to the market. To scale what you can do in the laboratory through industrial-scale processing. Having the facilities to try and get that learning going is the challenge."

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

The headline is a bit misleading. "Unsubsidised" refers to capital costs, but Germany (on which the report is presumably focused; I can't find a copy of it online) has a feed-in tariff for household solar power.

I don't like FIT programs in general because they can seriously distort the market (encouraging deployment in the least-productive areas, such as household rooftops) and then (when the over-investment becomes obvious and the FIT funding mechanism is exhausted) change abruptly. This already happened in Germany, where the "20 year guaranteed FIT rates" were slashed repeatedly between 2010 and 2012.

Governments agencies are learning from these kinds of mistakes, albeit slowly. The FIT system here in Ontario was designed with quotas for each tier (household < 10 kW, industrial < 50MW, etc) so that it wouldn't be over-subscribed. Sounds reasonable, right? Applications were submitted, the most promising ones (e.g. the applicants who demonstrated sufficient credit/cashflow to actually build a solar array) were approved, and construction began at several sites. But the original intention wasn't to build solar power per se, it was to build up demand and thereby launch a domestic solar industry (including R&D, manufacturing, and export). Critics pointed out that the PV panels for the new projects were simply being imported from Texas and California, whose well-established PV firms could undersell any nascent local manufacturers. A "domestic content" proviso was added to the program, but the agency doesn't actually pre-approve suppliers/contractors as legitimate; the onus is on FIT participants to prove, if audited, that their project is at least 60% domestic (50% for wind projects). What does this mean for projects that were already underway when the rules changed? OPA has been reluctant to issue a definitive policy, preferring to take things on a case-by-case basis (after all, "regulatory ambiguity and threat of audit" is a great way to encouage investment, right?).

Fake Edit: And then homeowners found out about the FIT program and were angry that their taxes/rates would provide windfall profits to politically-connected early adopters; some threatened lawsuits. There were plans to appease them by opening up a bunch of additional slots on a "lottery" basis; this plan was decried by early adopters who had run afoul of the quota limit and had seen their own applications denied. These guys also threatened legal action since they believed that they had a priority claim on any new FIT opportunities. And then the FIT rates were adjusted*, the "windfall" aspect diminished, the complaint-filled web forum was taken offline, the application process was heavily bureaucratized (to avoid the appearance of favouritism), and the hubbub (mostly) died away.

*The official MicroFIT rate for rooftop PV is still quite generous (54.9c/kWh) but it does not adjust for inflation; over a 20-year FIT contract it will become steadily less valuable. The homeowner must also bear the cost of inspections, meter upgrades, supplementary insurance, etc...

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Kaal posted:

Interesting post GulMadred. Could you talk a bit about what the feed-in tariff is and how it interacts with the various power source options?
What it is

In a perfect world, we'd decide on an ideal energy generation mix based on technology and then move towards it as economic factors allow. In the real world we can't do this because because utilities have been deregulated/privatized and 50-year plans don't mesh very well with election cycles; we can only offer incentives and hope that private firms pursue them.

These incentives sometimes occur as government subsidy of capital costs for new construction (or, in the case of nuclear power, by special coverage due to the infeasibility of obtaining insurance on the open market). Capital subsidies are politically sensitive, though - if construction costs go over-budget then the Minister of Energy (or local equivalent) is going to face some heat; the government will need to commit more funds to the distressed project (scandal!), writeoff its original investment (scandal!), or try to strongarm other private firms into a takeover/rescue deal (scandal!). There's also the risk that the subsidy deal will be modified or canceled in the aftermath of each election, particularly if the recipient was a political ally of the former government.

Feed-in tariffs are seen as a way around some of these problems. The government (or independent grid-operating agency) signs a contract with a private entity, agreeing to buy electricity at price <x> for a fixed term (20 years is common). Since the government pays only for energy that's actually delivered, there's much less "involvement" (and risk of scandal) with any particular firm or venture, and there's no harm to the public interest if a construction project misses its deadline. It's also hoped that succeeding governments will be less likely to rescind or modify any particular tariff agreement, since each one is a standard-issue contract rather than a sweetheart deal.

The major risk (as I explained above w/r/t Germany and Ontario) is ex post facto modification of the contract terms. This may be due to political reasons (e.g. the incoming government is much less "green" than the one which signed the original solar FIT deals) or simple economics - FIT power is more expensive than the standard stuff, and honoring those contracts might be seen as a luxury during a recession or budget crisis (e.g. "Minister decides to close schools in order to maintain payouts for hippie power!"). If you're an energy provider who was depending on those favourable 20-year rates, then you might find yourself unable to repay your amortized capital costs. If FIT contracts are consistently modified or dishonoured, then it will be increasingly difficult to attract new participants.

Oversubscription is another risk, as I mentioned in the previous post. It's fairly easy to manage it with simple quotas, but then you need to include anti-abuse mechanisms (because you're dealing with a private-profit scenario). For instance, the FIT program in Ontario was plagued by "sockpuppets." Officially, each individual or firm could submit only one application (which would include all of the sites and projects that they planned to develop). This was troublesome for the big enterprises - if you submit a 2500MW plan and there's only 1800MW of remaining unallocated quota, then you're certain to be rejected. If you submit a modest 1000MW plan then you may miss out on lucrative opportunities. To improve the odds, some applicants split up their plans into dozens of individual items and filed each one as a separate application through a separate shell company. The intent, of course, was that their actual "operating" company would simply acquire any shell company whose application was successful, and proceed to develop the site, generate power, and collect the FIT payouts. The reverse problem also occurred, with "squatters" filing applications and then attempting to sell the successful ones to actual operating companies. FIT contracts themselves became a sort of black-market commodity.

Because of these sorts of shenanigans, under-delivery is also a problem. You can target 1000MW of new power generation, issue 1000MW worth of FIT contracts, and then find that half of the approved ventures fall apart in the planning/financing stage. So you need to either take a page from the airlines' playbook (overbook using a best-guess estimate of the rate of delivery) or hire extra staff so that you can investigate the applicants, closely monitor their progress, and promptly replace the failures with new applicants. In the case of Ontario, the power agency started collecting security-deposit fees from applicants so that they'd have a greater incentive to actually complete their projects rather than simply flaking out.

In order for the program to succeed, the operating agency (and/or regulators) must understand the business. They must correctly assess the capital costs of new construction, cost of borrowing (interest rates and trends), operating and maintenance costs, availability of materials and skilled labour, etc. Inflation is another important factor; the Ontario FIT program uses different inflation-indicexing policies for the various renewable energy technologies. I don't know their rationale for doing so, but I suspect that it's a bit deceptive - they could offer a modest FIT rate which is fully indexed to inflation, but they hope to attract more participants by offering a very lucrative "introductory rate" which is not indexed at all.

Trying to predict the competitive landscape over a 20-year period is very difficult, so FIT programs sometimes remove it from the equation by including a priority arrangement. That is, "the goverment/operator must buy, at any hour, as much power as <applicant> is able to generate and willing to sell, regardless of whether government/operator could buy said energy cheaper from other sources." Such clauses reduce uncertainty (thereby encouraging participation in FIT programs) but might expose the government/operator/public to greater risk. If we invented cold fusion tomorrow then we'd still have to pay for the obsolete PV power at an elevated price. Such preferential arrangements may also increase the complexity (or reduce the efficiency) of power dispatch operations - but that's beyond my ken.

The exact financial arrangements (e.g. schedule of payments) depend on jurisdiction. If you're bored then you can read up on some of models that were proposed in the UK - "Fixed FIT", "Premium FIT", "FIT CfD", "Regulated Asset Base", and a few more that I can't recall.

-------

Interactions with power source options

FIT programs are generally intended to balance social, technological, and economic factors. For example, they'll sometimes offer a higher rate for rooftop PV than field PV - the former is technologically inferior but it encourages grassroots involvement (at the homeowner/consumer level) and thus achieves a social benefit (fostering "green" attitudes). Solar subsidies are also usually greater than wind ones, not because of any perceived difference in "virtuousness", but simply because solar requires larger subsidies to be cost-competitive in many countries (especially here in Canada - we ain't exactly equatorial). Small-scale power generation projects usually obtain richer subsidies than their large counterparts*, even when using the same tech, because the large ones are expected to benefit from superior management and economies of scale.

Nuclear and fossil energy are not eligible for any FIT program that I know of.

Biogas, hydro, and wind usually attract modest subsidies. They're fairly mature (don't hold your breath for any order-of-magnitude improvements in efficiency!) and have decent EROEI; market logic says that they'll expand without assistance. The FIT subsidy simply speeds things up, which is useful if you're eager to retire a set of coal-fired power plants that you promised to get rid of a few years ago (:blush:).

Of course, people inevitably try to game the system, so the OPA had to clarify the rules - "No, you can't obtain a higher FIT rate by building a bunch of wooden shacks in a field and reclassifying your PV array as 'rooftop.' Stop being a jackass."

The Ontario program even offers a bonus FIT payment for involvement of aboriginal people. This is mostly a "social" thing - trying to make aboriginal communities more self-sufficient, and encouraging aboriginal businesspeople to get involved with renewable energy projects. Ideally, it will also provide experience in deploying renewable power to remote sites, which will be of use in future endeavours (such as mine sites and Arctic military bases, which are often reliant on fossil fuels).

Thus, you can imagine an ideal FIT system as one which perfectly prices-in all positive externalities (environmental, social, etc). We can't institute a carbon tax for political reasons, but we can try to offer rewards to low-carbon or high-virtue power sources. Depending on where you live, these higher rates will either be passed on to the consumer directly (which encourages conservation but hinders economic growth and directly harms the poor) or paid out of general tax revenue (cheap electricity is popular among voters, and it's easier to get people on-board with progressive action when the costs are hidden).

* France took the opposite approach, favouring integrated-power design in large buildings such as hospitals, rather than grid-feed-in from household rooftops. I agree with this approach - so long as we're allocating resources towards any particular technology, I'd prefer to see it deployed in a way that maximizes EROEI.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

CombatInformatiker posted:

The faster we get away from nuclear and coal the better, and any large investment in nuclear power diverts money away from developing clean, renewable energy sources and storage methods.
Always beware of using glittering generalities like "clean," because they tend to conceal nuance. For example, the generators in high-efficiency wind turbines include powerful magnets composed of rare earth metals (such as Neodymium). Industrially-useful rare earth metals occur in ores alongside heavy elements such as Promethium and Thorium, which are radioactive.

Thus, the production chain for a windmill is probably going to generate radioactive waste. Even if it does not, it's going to involve environmental damage and human suffering, simply as a consequence of the fact that mining in general is a fairly unpleasant activity. We need to look beyond simple categories ("clean" "dirty") and get into actual cost-benefit analysis. For example, someone posted a "deaths per kilowatt-hour, by energy generation type" chart upthread. IIRC it was pretty shoddy (essentially an unsourced blog post using back-of-the-envelope math) but it's indicative of the sort of mental work that you should do before deciding that "technology X deserves my support while technology Y does not."

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

CombatInformatiker posted:

Keep in mind that there are a lot of countries with high energy demand which do not have the US's luxury of large, uninhabited wastelands where is doesn't really matter if some radiation leaks into the ground.
There's an interesting tangent to explore here. As we've seen (extensively!), major governments tend to procrastinate on nuclear power (e.g. approving new designs, refitting and upgrading operational plants, providing for long-term storage of waste). This creates a risk/opportunity - any nation which implements an effective disposal strategy may be approached by its neighbours, eager to jump onto the bandwagon rather than actually solving their own problems.

One of the basic principles of the NWMO (organization setting up long-term geological storage for Canada's spent nuclear fuel) was "domestic material only." They recognized that the recipient community would be leery about its new role as "national nuclear dumping ground," and decided that they would rather not salt the wound with the title "international nuclear dumping ground." This has the added benefit of avoiding some potential diplomatic squabbles regarding strategic arms control treaties, avoids logistical difficulties of cross-border shipments, and averts the spectacle of Greenpeace activists chaining themselves to the Ambassador Bridge.

Admittedly, it's a bit of a hypocritical stance for Canada to take. We're happy to export Uranium and/or CANDU fuel bundles, but we don't want to deal with the inevitable consequences of such actions. If you want to burn it in your country, then you have to bury it as well.

Since someone mentioned groundwater contamination... here's a quote from one of the NWMO's many technical reports:

http://www.nwmo.ca/uploads_managed/MediaFiles/1442_nwmotr-2009-12_technicalsummar.pdf posted:

Under repository conditions, used fuel exposed to groundwater is expected to dissolve very slowly. A fractional dissolution rate of 10-7 per year (i.e., all the fuel is dissolved in 10 million years) is a conservative but realistic rate of fuel dissolution under repository conditions whereas a dissolution rate of 10-4 per year could only occur if oxygenated groundwaters reached the repository (Shoesmith 2007). In either case, water would first have to breach the long-lived containers and come into contact with the used fuel, and then the used fuel would have to dissolve into the water.
If you're terminally bored, you can browse through their document repository, learning about riveting topics such as "Bentonite and Latex Colloid Migration Experiments in a Granite Fracture on a Metre Scale to Evaluate Effects of Particle Size and Flow Velocity" or "The Effect of Intermediate Dry Densities and Intermediate Porewater Salinities on the Culturability of Heterotrophic Aerobic Bacteria in Compacted 100% Bentonite."

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Frogmanv2 posted:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=solution-to-renewable-energy-more-renewable-energy

Article showing that 99.9% uptime is possible with just renewables, in America.
The actual paper can be found here (it's an in-browser reader with an irritating buffer feature, but there's a PDF link at the top).

A few points that I found interesting:
  • the "15 years from now" criticism is valid - for example, the report uses Grid-integrated vehicles as a proposed medium for energy storage. It may be technologically sound, but it would take a few years simply to build those cars and put them in the hands of consumers (also grid and meter upgrades etc)
  • the meteorological data sampling is much lazier than that used in the BZE/ZCA2020 report; they took solar irradiation data from Wilmington and then decided "Wilmington is pretty much average, right? Good enough; extrapolate those numbers across the eastern seaboard."
  • the simulation covered only the northeastern United States (presumably for reasons of simplicity - perhaps this region had the most comprehensive, or the most accessible, data on energy generation and distribution?)
  • overcapacity is sort-of handwaved, since they plan to use the excess to displace natural gas home-heating. Of course, if that was succesful it would simply increase the magnitude of base electricity demand, thus requiring additional renewable generating capacity in order to meet the 99.9% satisfaction threshold. I suppose that you could use some kind of recursive modeling for substitution/response rates but :effort:
  • The report assumes a 20-year lifespan (and/or amortization period) for new construction.
  • The projected retail power rate (0.17 USD/kWh) for their renewable mix (incl. amortized capital costs) is comparable with their 0.18 USD/kWh estimate of the total (incl. externalities) cost of coal power.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

Isn't the whole point of baseload power as a concept that power plants have to be kept running 100% of the time, because the outages due to lack of other sources/peaks in usage can't be predicted with total accuracy, and it takes hours/days for a cold plant to spin up to useful output?
Coal, nuclear, and oil-fired power plants do indeed have long startup times. However, we already have peakers (such as gas turbines) which can spin-up relatively quickly in order to meet sudden demand (or simultaneous low output at several renewable generating stations).

The rationale behind the 99.9% threshold is described in the report. It was mostly a matter of economics - costs rise asymptotically as you approach 100% (remember - getting from 90% to 99.9% requires 3x overcapacity). To cover those "missing" 9 hours per year, it's much more feasible to burn fossil fuels or use electricity-pricing schemes to shift demand around.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

silence_kit posted:

The bulk doping concentration of a silicon solar cell is probably at most in parts per million.
I was a bit curious after reading this sentence, so I did some quick back-of-the-envelope math. The concentration of Uranium in the core of a CANDU reactor (ignoring on-site storage of ready fuel bundles and pool/cask storage or waste), when compared with all of the concrete and steel which constitute the power plant, is somewhere around 3 ppm. Heavy water, in spite of its name, does not contribute significantly to the overall mass.

I also ran into a USGS report which predicts some scarcity concerns with exotic solar panel materials (e.g. CIGS thin-film), but which concludes that any scarcity can be easily handled by recovering materials from retired PV cells.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Paper Mac posted:

So, this is a scam, right?
Carbon monoxide reduction is a legit thing and a worthy goal to pursue. Many fuel additives have been developed for this purpose, as well as optimization of engine designs (to promote complete combustion). Nothing new here, but whenever someone invents a new fuel additive (secret formulation!) it's important to ensure that the additive itself does not generate any dangerous combustion products (and also that it isn't going to dissolve any plastic/rubber components that it encounters).

Reducing sulphur output from a diesel engine is also a worthwhile goal, but it needs to be done (and largely has been done) at the refinery. Once the sulphur enters the combustion cylinder, it's inevitably going to leave the tailpipe as an oxide (or sulphuric acid, or a complex hydrocarbon, but those are generally worse). They claim that the sulphur is magically getting bound to an ethylene molecule (presumably as thiirane, although they don't identify it as such). Thus, they've managed to "eliminate" sulphur emissions by transforming it into a chemical form which they couldn't (or just didn't bother to) measure. Note also that thiirane itself is flammable and somewhat unstable - if you release it into the wild then that sulphur atom is going to become SO2 anyways.

A similar objection applies to any reduction in carbon output. Unless your car is periodically making GBS threads out bricks of graphite, any carbon that enters a combustion chamber is going to leave the tailpipe. Catalysis can convert it into forms that are harder to detect, but it doesn't magically disappear.

The entire experiment design seems a bit lazy/silly. Vehicles don't burn diesel at 1 atm with haphazard air supply; they burn it at 15+ atm with a specific fuel-air mixture. Higher pressure means higher temperatures, which tends to provide a more complete combustion (the peak temperature within a diesel-burning cylinder is greater than the HNG+diesel flame that they tested). A Bunsen-burner trial is fine for initial analysis, but a reputable company would have tested their fuel additive in an actual engine before going public with their wild claims about 100% increases in efficiency.

Dusseldorf posted:

HNG is packed with ‘Exotic Hydrogen’
Nevermind. This isn't a sloppy experiment, optimistic interpretation of test data, or poor translation. It's just a scam.

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 2, 2013

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

blowfish posted:

Said a campaigner for Greenpeace, “The Merkel government doesn’t do enough to protect the climate anymore.”
Be careful what you wish for, I suppose.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/nuclear/ posted:

Greenpeace has always fought - and will continue to fight - vigorously against nuclear power because it is an unacceptable risk to the environment and to humanity. The only solution is to halt the expansion of all nuclear power, and for the shutdown of existing plants.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Placebo Orgasm posted:

I forget, was there ever a reason why we don't store the "waste" at the WIPP in New Mexico?
WIPP was intended for low-level waste; it could probably be re-designed for spent fuel but doing so would provoke another fight in Congress and probably force WIPP to stop accepting shipments for several years.

More to the point, WIPP simply is too small-potatoes. Its total footprint is similar to that of the proposed Canadian waste repository (but the USA has much more waste to inter, since it runs something like 4x as many reactors). Its primary hoist has a 40-ton capacity; spent-fuel cask designs can easily exceed 100 tons. It doesn't have a radiologically-secure surface factory/lab (which could be used to inspect and repackage waste, if necessary). From what I can find online, it also lacks the sort of kill-on-sight security force which one would expect to find wherever proliferation-risk material is being handled.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Do you want him to lie and say there will never be accidents at power plants?

This is the problem with putting scientists and engineers in front of the media. Nothing is ever safe, nothing is ever certain. If you don't have to worry about facts you can be certain of everything.
Here's my favourite example: Carl Sagan discussing the (then-controversial) RTGs aboard the Galileo probe

Key points:
  • he discusses the risks (even implausible worst-possible risks, like moon microbes killing all life on Earth) candidly, rather than concealing them in the interest of persuasion
  • he presents statistical evidence (e.g. number of hypothetical deaths) but typically follows it up with human reflection (to avoid alienating readers)
  • he advises readers to be skeptical of experts, government officials, and industry spokesmen. But he reminds us that skepticism is not the same thing as reflexive disbelief.
  • he points out that the dissenting party is late in joining the discussion (they had essentially ignored the Voyager probes) but he identifies some of the reasons why they are now joining the discussion, and does not dismiss them for being non-scientists. He even welcomes the participation of faith-based groups in the discussion.
  • he does not fetishize technology. He suggests that RTGs are required for the Galileo mission profile, but argues that they are unnecessary and inappropriate for terrestrial satellites.
  • his central argument is that the issue is a "judgment call" - reasonable individuals can weigh the evidence against their own principles, and come to different answers. His main goal is to improve the understanding on which they make their judgment (for example, by debunking the "50 lbs of plutonium kills every single human" story). He invites the reader to consider whether their stance on Galileo is consistent with their evaluation of other risks faced by human societies.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

Are we talking about the water needed to keep the heliostats clean (in which case you'd need the same for PV), or just to spin the turbines?
The working fluid of the turbine is in a closed-loop setup. Water consumption in a concentrating solar power plant would usually occur in the form of evaporative heat rejection (not applicable at Ivanpah; they're using a dry cooling loop instead) or heliostat cleaning.

quote:

In other words, are you saying this is bad technology, or just a bad place to put a power plant?
Neither. Ideally, you want to put a thermal power plant beside a body of freshwater so that you can employ evaporative heat rejection. This is logistically difficult with solar power (find me a river that runs through a desert, which isn't already overbooked due to demands for irrigation and human drinking water), so we instead put them in high-irradiance sites and worry about the cooling problem separately.

quote:

Does that mean they're not using molten salts? And if so, does that mean it doesn't have overnight storage?
Nope, no molten salts. Which of course provoked the obvious Idiocracy responses:
  • They're using water? Like, from the toilet?
  • They should use salt. It's better because it has electrolytes!
Overnight storage isn't important for the United States (yet) because you guys have sufficient grid flexibility (interstate transmission, stable baseload, gas peaking stations) and the solar/wind share of power generation isn't yet large enough to cause serious disruptions.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

And what if we required mining/fracking operations to sock away a certain amount of cash for ecological restoration projects?
Nuclear power plants are already required to pay into funds which provide for waste management and inspection (in the present) and deep geological storage (after Harry Reid dies).

In most of the civilized world, mining permits are already subject to a similar principle:
  • the operating company writes out an environmental impact assessment (including descriptions of harm-mitigation techniques)
  • regulators scrutinize it; if it's found to be incomplete or insufficient then they'll send it back for revision
  • regulators and operators work together to determine an expected total-cost-of-reclamation value
  • operators are required to fund a reclamation bond before beginning development
    • because mine development can be expensive, the bond need not be fully funded from day one. It is usually possible to amortize the costs of cleanup over the operating life of the mine.
  • if the operators finish their cleanup and pass inspection, the bond is released
  • if the operators go bankrupt or refuse to reclaim the site then the bond is forfeit (at which point it can be used to purchase the services of a third-party reclamation firm)
Unfortunately, the process allows for political interference. If a state is eager to create jobs, it may pressure regulators to accept half-assed environmental reports and lowball estimates. It may even discard the whole "individual assessment" idea and use a flat fee-per-acre scheme instead. Also, large companies are allowed to self-bond ("we don't need to set aside special reclamation funds - if something goes wrong we can just pay it out of petty cash!"). Details here: e-CFR Title 30 VIIa Part 800.23 and here. Unfortunately, if something goes seriously wrong then the public might be forced to bear the costs of cleanup. The law is well-written (for example: corporate assets offered as collateral in a self-bond must be physically within the United States and not subject to any other lien) but the real world can get messy. The largest coal miner in Texas is currently in financial trouble.

Edit: whoops, I neglected the second part of your sentence. I know very little about fracking. I think that they're subject to the same rules but (because it's a relatively young business and enjoys political support) the bond amounts are relatively small.

Pander posted:

I dunno. Even on a per-megawatt-produced basis I'd bet Ivanpah required a lot less construction material than a nuke plant. Nuke plants have a LOT of steel, iron, cement, etc. Uncountable stretches of piping, etc.
They're comparable in terms of steel:

290 MW :: 39 000 tons (IvanpahAgua Caliente, nameplate capacity)
1154 MW :: 110 000 tonnes (UK analysis of AP1000)
Edit: the solar numbers here are for a PV facility rather than Ivanpah as I had originally claimed. I'll include an Ivanpah value if/when I get an answer from Gestamp.

Of course, a nuclear power plant is also going to require a lot more concrete (and a relatively small amount of costly special alloys). On the other hand, it gets better "mileage" out of its construction materials by maintaining a >90% capacity factor.

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 28, 2013

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

It's really sad that NIMBYism in Canada is so strong when the power mix of the two largest provinces are so close to eliminating fossil fuels.
Meh, it's the Toronto Star. This isn't really a case of "document popular opposition to a project" but more "provide a left-wing viewpoint on a current event, at the expense of journalistic standards." Key points that were missed or distorted:
  • Lake Huron is indeed 15000 years old. The bedrock in which the proposed site would be developed is 450 million years old.
  • The project site is quite close to the Bruce Nuclear Generating Station (because it's the largest nuclear power station in Canada - we have expertise nearby and transportation is simplified). The "radionuclides pose an unacceptable risk to the Great Lakes" ship sailed decades ago.
  • "dump it all in a big hole and seal the entranceway" is a misleading oversimplification.
    • Hardrock mines are liable for environmental and/or property damage arising from subsidence and so they've developed techniques for analysis and mitigation. The science isn't perfect but it's been employed commercially for decades.
    • After the excavation, development, and deployed stages are completed, the facility will be filled with material (sandfill, pastefill, etc) which is similar, in its physical and chemical properties, to the native rock. The intent is to minimize long-term changes in seismic properties, hydrogeology, etc.
  • The hearings are neither sudden nor secretive; they've been inviting public participation and posting dozens of documents and reports on the project website over the past few years. They've also posted the actual transcripts of the public hearings that the Toronto Star reporter attended.
Honestly, I don't see much NIMBYism. I've participated in a few different public sessions and hearings in Canada regarding nuclear waste management, and they've tended to be fairly placid. A few people show up "spoiling for a fight," but they tend to calm down once they realize that the scientists and bureaucrats are actually sympathetic to their concerns and are willing to hear them out. In fact, I've found it to be remarkable that people can discuss an issue as serious as nuclear waste with fewer hysterics than you'd encounter at a typical city council meeting on municipal property zoning. This isn't coincidence - NWMO and OPG have developed strong processes for public outreach. They've opted to treat it as an honest conversation (rather than a mere smoke-screen for a backroom deal, or a one-sided propaganda campaign).

The outreach teams are composed of professionals - scientists, engineers, regulators, sociologists, lawyers - who must sometimes spend weeks or months on-the-road, away from their families, giving presentations to rooms full of skeptical local citizens of #current_city. Some of those citizens will curse them as polluters and poisoners and murderers. Sometimes there will be no public interest, and they'll see only two visitors throughout the entire day. Even on a "good day," they'll spend a lot of time re-narrating material that they've already discussed a hundred times in previous engagements, and fielding various versions of questions that they've heard hundreds of times ("what about the groundwater?" "will it explode like a nuclear bomb?" "can't we just shoot it into the sun?"). It's thankless work, and yet they do it because it needs to be done - onsite storage is not a permanent solution, and it would be deeply irresponsible to accept the status quo.

I think that the testimony of the Saugeen Ojibway Nations1 helps to illustrate a few salient points:

Saugeen Ojibway Nations (PDF) posted:

The very first question in these proceedings concerns the concept of safety. The question was asked about the differences between safety as regulated and safety as perceived and whether OPG’s concept of safety encompassed a broader perspective.

In our view, this is the proper frame in which to consider the DGR Project, that is, not only should we consider the safety of the project from a regulatory perspective, but also from the perspective of perceived safety of the project. This idea is somewhat -- sometimes referred to as social safety.

As you know, that Panel ultimately concluded that, while AECL’s concept [for a different project] had been demonstrated to be technically safe, it had not been demonstrated to be safe from a social perspective.
The agencies should hold themselves to a high standard - not merely "balance of evidence" or "scientific consensus" but the treshold of "public trust." They need to publicize as much information as possible. Some key reports may need to be repackaged (e.g. in non-technical language and with additional graphics) in order to reach the general public.

quote:

As we all now understand, the willing host community concept is a central aspect of social safety and public acceptability and it is a core component of the adaptive phase management approach as it is applied in the Canadian context. And as we heard from Dr. Leiss on Tuesday, it is also now understood as a necessary aspect for the successful siting of any DGR project or other hazardous waste disposal facility.
This is another point that the Toronto Star article skipped over: the project will not proceed without local support. Neighbouring communities, aboriginal groups, and cities along transport links usually receive partial funding and possess limited veto rights. NIMBY folks in Toronto (200 km away) can raise objections to the committee on scientific or ecological grounds, but their mere discomfort is not sufficient grounds to block the project.

quote:

Over the last few days we had a very - a few very clear examples of [trust vs acceptance]. For instance, in the EIS and again in the presentation from OPG, it was noted that the presence of the DGR which directly affects the rock, the first order of creation, may have special meaning to some Aboriginal people and therefore may be seen as incompatible with their worldview and that this might affect how Aboriginal people value the plants and animals they harvest.

If our people come to believe that it is no longer right to consume the plants, fish or animals for deep or spiritual reasons, this cannot be mitigated by demonstrating that there are no new radiological effects. This harm to our people is not one that can be easily mitigated. It must be accepted.
Public acceptance of a project does not require that every last concern be addressed; that every last stakeholder be mollified. Communities should evaluate risks on the basis of rational self-interest, rather than clinging to the policy of "you must remove every possible downside to us, or we'll veto this thing." Agencies must be prepared to consider non-scientific factors and treat them with respect, even when those factors are impossible to quantify or mitigate.

quote:

let us not get trapped by our fears and interests, let us not get fooled by our own intelligence. Let us instead understand the seriousness of the problem and the concerns of others. Let us not rush into decision, but make the best decision, one that we can all live with.
In summary: Thomas Walkom has an axe to grind; his articles do not necessarily reflect the state of public opinion regarding disposal of nuclear waste in Canada.

1: For non-Canadians - First Nations (aboriginal) people tend to get hosed over in these sorts of development projects. Their input is ignored, their treaty rights are infringed, their land is used or contaminated without their consent, and they may be forced to wait several decades for an apology (let alone relief/recompense). The fact that they're present at this hearing shows that they have at least some expectation of exerting a positive influence on it; the content of their testimony shows that they're mostly satisfied with the work done to-date (although there are several more issues that they'd like to see addressed before they'll be on-board).

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 15, 2013

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

What is it about this design that makes it unsuitable for non-research reactors?
For starters, it's in a pool. The whole point of a conventional power reactor is that you immerse the core in a relatively small volume of coolant (typically water, although you can also use various salts or molten metals or even gases if you enjoy dealing with crazy engineering challenges) and then circulate it (this is referred to as the primary loop). The primary loop will reject heat into a secondary loop, whose working fluid (typically water) will spin a turbine and generate electricity. If you're designing a reactor for a warship, then you might stick a turbine right into the primary loop and remove the secondary loop altogether - you'll get some contamination and/or damage to the turbine (and maintenance will be more tricky), but the overall package becomes much more compact (and you'll have fewer moving parts to worry about).

You remember the crazy video that you just saw with the TRIGA, wherein they ramped it up to 160% supercritical within 30ms? You wouldn't want to do that with a conventional reactor. Pool reactors have few moving parts; conventional reactors have (for example) coolant pumps which must keep pace with activity in the core (and which certainly cannot ramp up within 30ms).

The TRIGA reactor is passively safe because as it heats up, its reaction rate slows down. In the video, you see a momentary flash (as the reactors hits 340MW output) but it cannot sustain such output - thermal expansion forces its fuel elements away from their optimal configuration. TRIGA cannot boil its coolant water, even at ~2 atmospheres of pressure. A conventional reactor must be able to boil water even at hundreds of atmospheres of pressure (the boiling water is continuously circulated away, so that we can ultimately spin a turbine and generate electricity).

If we could somehow "magic away" the negative thermal coefficient, kludge the TRIGA core into a pressure vessel, and give it a coolant loop with proper circulation, we'd run into a new problem - the uranium zirconium hydride fuel used in TRIGA reactors will actually melt before it reached the operational temperature of a conventional BWR. The efficiency of a heat engine depends on the magnitude of the temperature difference, which means that you want your core to run as hot as possible (within the bounds of safety and engineering tolerances, of course). A hypothetical TRIGA reactor (again, ignoring the negative thermal coefficient) which was scaled up so that it generated exactly as much core heat as a conventional reactor, would produce perhaps 60% as much useful electricity.

This doesn't mean that pool/research reactors are useless; they can serve as a neutron source for the creation of medical radioisotopes. And they can help to train new generations of scientists. And they generate Cherenkov glow, which everyone agrees is pretty :hellyeah:.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Based on Germany the alternative to nuclear is natural gas.
If you're aiming to lose money, sure. The cool kids are burning coal instead.

"Bloomberg posted:

The profit from burning coal increased 3.4 percent to 8.89 euros a megawatt-hour yesterday in Berlin, based on German power, coal and emissions prices for next year. Gas-fired plants generated a loss of 17.40 euros a megawatt-hour, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

"Financial Times posted:

The rapid expansion of solar and wind power means coal- and gas-fired plants are left with little to do on sunny and windy days and are increasingly unprofitable to operate.

Utilities are therefore considering shutting down modern and highly efficient gas-fired plants, which were originally envisaged as a bridging fuel in the Energiewende.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Also German still exports more renewables than imports coal
I don't think that the distinction between coal imports and domestic production is especially important; Germany's domestic production of lignite is substantial and it satisfies over 80% of the tonnage needed by its coal-fired plants.

The imported coal is of a higher grade (and thus higher energy content) than the locally-mined stuff (which is almost entirely lignite). If you look at actual electricity output (PDF, page 8), imported coal produced about (106 TWh * 62.6% = 66.36 TWh) compared to 143 TWh for domestic coal (because lignite isn't a great fuel).

Note: I'm using 2011 IEA numbers to determine the domestic/import mix for German coal, and splicing that value into the 2012 energy mix statistics. Lignite mining in Germany has increased since 2011, but imports have increased also (sources disagree on the magnitude, due to different reporting rules for intra-EU trade versus global trade). In any case, the 2011-2012 change is not large enough to seriously alter the conclusion.

Net German electricity exports in 2012 were 22.5 TWh. If we use the gross export number from the CIA world factbook (66.81 TWh), we need to assume that Germany's exports are more than 99.3% renewable in order to satisfy your claim. The actual data (as examined by Deutsche Umwelthilfe) shows that periods of export (i.e. mid-day peak) coincide with substantial coal-burning. To summarize the report: Germany's electricity export is made possible by the fact that it burns more coal than it actually needs to. The report also shows that output of renewable power has declined from 2012 to 2013, while output of coal-fired power has increased in the same period. And, simultaneous with those changes, electricty exports have grown. If German electricity exports truly represented a renewable surplus being shared with the region, then we should expect them to decline as renewable production declines.

tl;dr Your assertion is valid only under an implausibly charitable interpretation of the available data. You should probably double-check your source.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The Nuclear Energy Institute claims Nuclear fuel costs + O&M alone: EUR .17kWh.
You may be misreading your source. Here are some numbers that I found in a NEI whitepaper:

"PDF posted:

Fuel cost: $7.5/MWh
O&M cost: $9.5/MWh
Combined cost: $17/MWh = $0.017/kWh = €0.0124/kWh
It seems unlikely that they'd revise their estimate upwards by a factor of 10, making nuclear power looks worse than renewables or fossil fuels, especially since they're a pro-nuclear group.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Arghy posted:

How feasible is it to dig into the earth and create a giant tunnel of geothermal heat?
It depends on what you mean. Borehole geothermal systems for domestic heating work reasonably well, although they produce environmental side-effects (they deplete the geothermal heat and thus their effectiveness will diminish unless the site is allowed to recover). Home cooling is also possible. Such systems generally rely on heat pumps; the borehole simply gives you access to a fluid whose temperature is closer to the human-comfort range than the atmosphere (thus, your heating or cooling costs are reduced).

Boreholes for power generation wouldn't make much sense. Let's say that you have a gradient of 30K/km (global average). The deepest borehole in the world might give you 260K (in fact it gave much less because they deliberately chose a "cold" location so as to simplify the engineering challenges). The maximum efficiency of a heat engine depends on its input temperature. Even assuming that you could magically circulate fluid from the borehole bottom without any loss of heat, you'd be constrained to a maximum thermal efficiency of 47%, which is much lower than any modern power plant (although it's a bit better than first-generation nuclear reactors). Note that this calculation assumes that you have a big convenient heat sink nearby, such as a river. You'll also need to expend energy on pumps - moving fluid 12 km vertically isn't fun.

The next problem is capacity. Output (or "production") is limited by thermal conductivity of rock, and your effective "catchment diameter" may be as low as 10m. You can't simply run more fluid through your borehole - you'd thermally deplete it and then need to shutdown the power plant until it naturally replenishes. If you want more power then you need to drill a lot of holes. Each borehole is going to cost a few tens of millions (assuming that you're going deep - a shallow hole is cheaper but yields low temperature and therefore low efficiency). I don't know whether you'd ever be able to repay the capital costs of drilling. Insurance would also be a problem, and your construction permit might get held up for years due to the difficulty of assessing long-term environmental impact (e.g. "there's a teensy chance that we might trigger earthquakes, but the risk would probably be confined to a 200km radius").

Here's a real-world example. They drilled down 2.5 km and obtained 450kW of heat. If they tried to harness that low-grade heat into useful work, they might have been able to obtain 100kW. That's the equivalent of the muscle power of 200 athletes, or about half of the engine power of one Ford truck.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

blowfish posted:

Problem: you need like 3-4 times overcapacity at least to get reasonably secure base load power, and you need to add storage to do that.
It's not _quite_ that bad in Australia, since there's so much high-insolation low-cloud-cover desert available. The ZCA plan (which has been discussed in this thread) proposed an overcapacity factor of only 100%, with gaps being filled by (in order of priority):
  • molten salt heat storage at CST facilities
  • dispatching hydro power from reservoirs (not pumped storage, just regular hydro which is normally held in reserve)
  • burning biomass pellets at CST facilities (mostly intended as a backup measure when the solar component is undergoing maintenance, or when there's a prolonged regional slump in solar+wind generation)

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Most modern CSP uses molten salt and not water. Bechtel (you know the same ones who make nuclear plants) has several new CSP plants going up in the USA that all use molten salt and in fact I'm not aware of any that require water to reflect upon. Unless you mean closed loop systems, which then a CSP plant handles a big storm just as well as an oil refinery or anything else with lots of pipes.
I assume that he meant "any location sunny enough to be a good candidate for large-scale solar installations is also going to have a high rate of evaporation of the local surface water, and will therefore be subject to heavy precipitation (or tropical storms if it's coastal + equatorial)."

This is indeed a potential problem, because heliostats can be damaged by high winds or precipitation (we're worried mostly about freezing rain and hailstones rather than thunderstorms, but w/e), and any persistent cloud cover will diminish the facility's output. The standard approach is "just build it in the desert - deserts don't get much rain; avoid hurricane or tornado zones; find a spot reasonably close to civilization so that you don't blow your entire budget on roads and transmission lines; a local water source is nice (for mirror cleaning and evaporative cooling) but you can live without it."

Ardennes posted:

Even if you disagree with their energy policies (which is fine), it doesn't mean the population is a bunch of shitheads.
I've shat on Germany in the past for their moronic policy-shift resulting in a significant uptick in mining and burning of lignite (loving lignite!). Just to twist the knife a little: while building a new student centre, RWTH Aachen University decides to sink a 2500m geothermal borehole. In winter, the output water would heat the building; in summer it would drive a heat exchanger to provide air conditioning. A shining example for energy-efficient construction and green building! Those nay-sayers bleating about the "intermittency" of renewables will be silenced by the sight of our mighty shaft, pouring forth hot gushing fluid 24 hours per day! no homo

The webpage I linked uses the present tense, but it was actually written in 2006 (after the borehole was complete but long before the surface facilities were ready for operation). They were using a single coaxial design, so the pipe needed to contain an inner insulating sleeve to contain the hot (rising) output water - the cold (descending) input water would occupy the space between the inner sleeve and the outer metal pipe. Unfortunately, the plastic-reinforced fiberglass material proved to be structurally inadequate. This is admittedly a very tricky problem - you need to balance water pressure, varying thermal loads, possible erosive/corrosive effects, and the non-trivial mass of a 2500m-long fiberglass pipe (and also the problem of quality-control as you insert and weld each pipe section - does the welding technique create local weaknesses? Are you sure that the welds are watertight?).

You can model the variables on a computer and run simulations, but eventually you need to deploy it in the real world and see what happens. Well, there was a concurrent effort underway in Arnsberg (for a local swimming pool), and their inner pipe (using the same material) suffered structural failure during installation. gently caress. Well, no sense in repeating the same process and encountering the same error. Let's check our math, inspect our materials, and proceed carefully. Nonetheless, the inner pipe got stuck just before reaching the 2000m mark. Presumably they attempted to jimmy it around a bit, but eventually gave up (I gather that one of the pipes was slightly kinked and so there was no practical way to "work around the problem"). Okay, we've hit a snag. But we still have a deep borehole and a coaxial pipe, and we can theoretically circulate water to a depth of 2000m. Maybe that's good enough?

Nope. The project originally called for an outlet temperature of 85C. The reduced-depth arrangement could theoretically deliver 60C. It was observed at 35C (presumably due to leaks in the inner sleeve which allowed the hot and cold water to mix). 35C is worthless. Even under very generous assumptions assumption (e.g. rebuilding the inner pipe using unobtainium), the analysts concluded that the project was economically infeasible - the best approach was just to walk away from the project and stop throwing money at it.

Note: honestly though, this isn't an especially bad story. We should recall that this was a research project undertaken by a university. It was a tiny vanity project, and its failure did not cause a significant uptick in fossil fuel usage. It provided employment for skilled labourers; it proved/demonstrated the feasibility of minimally-disruptive drilling techniques in a cluttered urban environment (which will doubtless be useful for future geothermal ventures). It delivered some core samples that probably made a geologist happy. It may have failed in its stated purpose (and doubtless embarassed a fairly prestigious engineering department), but in so doing it yielded some good material-science data and lessons which will guide future efforts. Such as: "find a really good insulating+structural material for the inner pipe, or maybe use a metallic inner pipe with an insulating liner," or "use multiple adjacent boreholes instead of a single-hole coaxial setup," or "use a double-walled steel pipe with an intermediary vacuum layer like the one at Weggis," or "setup a shallow geothermal field with a low outlet temperature and use it exclusively for winter heating while you power your air conditioner with a roof-mounted PV array or miniature biogas plant or whatever."

Finally - Wikipedia has a photograph of the site where the wellhead unit would have been installed. You can see the facility's water pipes terminating forlornly a few meters away from the borehole, forever bereft of the geothermal bounty that they were promised. A silent 23-million Euro testament to the fact that new technologies bring new challenges.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

It operates a 700C and has 70% energy efficiency which is pretty miserable. Really cool, don't see it being deployed everywhere though.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ja209759s
Energy density also looks to be pretty lousy. Their own marketing material indicates that a 40ft shipping container loaded with Ambri batteries holds 2MWh.

2000000 Wh / 67500 l = 29.6 Wh/l

That's a third the density of the venerable lead-acid cell. If you took all of the generating plants offline and wanted to power the USA for one day using Ambri batteries (assuming 100% efficiency) then you'd need:

3886400000 MWh / 365 = 10647671 MWh
10647671 MWh / 29.6 Wh/l = 359718 Ml
359718 Ml / 1200 Ml = 299.765

300 Astrodomes filled (as in "stacked to the rafters") with uncomfortably hot batteries.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

I really don't get why they decided to reduce gas by 10.5 TWh in favor of pumping up coal.
That's not a government policy decision (or at least - not a direct one). Market operating rules require that renewables be given priority access to the grid (but even without this mechanism they would inevitably dump cheap power onto the market because they have no means of storing it). There's an oversupply in nameplate capacity, which means that market forces will tend to drive down the price of electricity (average prices fell significantly from 2008 to 2013). The solar supply profile syncs up reasonably well with demand, which tends to erode the old peak premium (from €14 per MWh in 2008 to €3 in 2013).

Imagine that you own a utility company in Germany:
  • the price of natural gas in Europe has been steadily rising for several years.
  • at unpredictable hours, you'll be forced to run your facilities below their standard operating level (which usually hurts their thermal efficiency) or even shut them down entirely.
  • the growth of renewable supply has shifted the daily peak profile and whittled away the premium (which was where you made most of your profit). Your old "magic hour" may no longer exist and some of your facilities may no longer be profitable even if they were able to run at full output 24/7.
  • German electricity consumption hasn't risen much in the past decade, so the growth of renewables means that you've lost ground. The total amount of power generated by your plants per year has declined, so you need to amortize your sunk capital costs from a smaller pool of operating revenue. Your shareholders understand that this means "lovely profits for the foreseeable future" and they've abandoned you.
  • if you saw this coming, then you've already shifted your portfolio to renewables.
    • it's too late to start now: your stock price is in the toilet, your debt rating is getting downgraded, and you have no way to raise capital for new investments.
  • but you didn't see it coming, so you try to find some way to remain in business.
    • Hint: coal is cheap

Edit: here's a succinct summary.

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 12, 2014

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Okay, but why not? Your video seems to be about reducing fossil fuel use in Australia, so why not build nuclear power plants that use Australian-produced uranium? You're trying to use an educational approach, so it seems like a really good opportunity to push a cheap and safe energy source whose widespread implementation is restricted only by a lack of education
Because the Australian public doesn't like nuclear. Coal is the enemy, Australia is a desert, and it's perfectly reasonably to push for a CST-dominated path for reducing carbon. Shoehorning nukes into the discussion wouldn't do much to broaden the appeal of the pitch, and would certainly provoke more opposition (perhaps even official condemnation from Sierra, Greenpeace et al).

It's a question of focus. If your goal is "educate the public about power" then, sure - debunk some atoms. If your goal is "stop burning coal" and your means is "educate the public about power" then you avoid the subject.

Analogy: if a Democratic politician in the USA wants to reduce crime then they should talk about sentencing reform, work-training programs, decriminalization, investment in education, social safety nets, etc... They should say nothing whatsoever about gun control.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

Energiewende and the decision to abandon nuclear continues to be a rousing success for Germany: it has now been reduced to begging Sweden to keep its coal mines open so the country doesn't start experiencing blackouts.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5061a3e6-7347-11e4-907b-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3JzrfzYYq
The article has a (soft) paywall, so here's a summary:
  • Vattenfall is a Swedish company. Wholly owned by the government but theoretically independent in terms of decision-making.
  • Vattenfall owns energy resources in Germany: coal mines, coal-fired power plants, nuclear power plants, and a few renewable projects.
  • Vattenfall's two German nuclear plants became suddenly worthless under Energiewende and have been shut down. They're understandably upset about this and they're suing.
  • Vattenfall has a prototype CCS coal-fired power plant. They're refusing to build any new non-CCS stuff and are shifting their investment portfolio towards greener options.
  • As a consequence of this policy, two specific German lignite mines are in danger of losing their primary shareholders, and will need to find new investors (in order to complete some crucial upgrade and expansion projects).
  • The exact reasoning isn't clear from the article. Speculation:
    • Vattenfall is in trouble financially and recently (Oct 2014) replaced their CEO; they're divesting some of their troubled overseas assets to focus on their core business
    • they have no desire to sink billions of additional capital into Germany only to see it outlawed under Energiewende 2: Electric Boogaloo
    • the dirty portfolio has generated negative publicity for Vattenfall and/or Stockholm; they're simply seeking to clean up their image
    • they're deliberately putting the screws to the German government as part of a gambit to continue operating the mines after wringing out some concessions behind-closed-doors (e.g. lucrative grants to restart their CCS research program, tax breaks, carbon credits, labour code exemptions, etc)
      • consider this (very recent) article which suggests that Vattenfall is planning to expand two of its lignite mines and construct three brand-new ones, while simultaneously seeking to sell all of them :psyduck: Maybe the "divestment" strategy is some sort of Enron game in which the assets are spun off into a shell company but nothing actually changes.
  • Lignite is a poor fuel. It can't be transported very far due to its low energy density and hence there is no "international spot price" (as exists for oil, nickel, uranium, etc). It's usually mined in open pits because underground mining is capital-intensive and lignite can't pay the bills. Without new investment, these two mines will eventually be exhausted and the associated power plants will be shut down (despite the powerplant equipment still being viable for many years of further operation).
  • LemonDrizzle's comment was hyperbolic; Germany is not facing an immediate risk of blackout. It's a medium- or long-term concern (except for the miners themselves, who might face layoffs if the new owners decide to slash expenses).
    • There are many issues at stake (jobs, pollution, foreign investment, energy exports, industrial development, retail price of electricity, regional vs national vs European priorities, partisan politics and wedge issues, etc) and there are many potential outcomes which could embarass the German government.
    • So they'd prefer to just maintain the status quo and avoid scandal.
    • Hence you get the German vice-chancellor writing a private letter to the prime minister of Sweden asking him to apply pressure regarding the investment strategy of a theoretically-independent private company.
    • Which the prime minister politely refused to do. And then he showed the private letter to the Financial Times.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

It's almost as bad as DHMO.

Did you know DHMO is the primary cause of every major flood in the past two centuries?
Typical anti-DHMO propaganda. You don't even need to go back one century to find a deadly non-DHMO flood.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

RDevz posted:

Getting the biomass to the power station is another massive problem. Its energy density is something like 2/3 of the GJ/tonne that you get from coal (c. 16 vs. c. 24), which means you need more ships and more trains to get it to where it's needed.

Trabisnikof posted:

The energy cost to ship something in bulk by train can be pretty low. But then again, most of the time you mine-mouth that poo poo and site your Ag based biomass facility in Ag country and your city-dump based biogas facility near the city dump.
Experts will already know this stuff, but casual readers can learn more by reading about lignite. It's a low-density form of coal which is essentially non-existent in international trade. Why? Because after you've paid to move it more than a few hundred kilometres, you've exhausted any possible profit that you might earn by burning it.

Large-scale use of biomass wouldn't suffer quite the same limitations as lignite (it has an even lower energy density than lignite, but it would presumably be exempt from carbon tariffs). Nonetheless, it would still be a regional commodity (with regional supply/demand and pricing issues) rather than a globally fungible one.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Coincidentally, Earth only has about 150 square kilometers of actual land.
Somebody had better warn Rhode Island that their state occupies 20x the total surface area of the planet. :downs:

quote:

How did you come to 1%?
pre:
22 126 TWh/year (global electricity generation for 2011)
= 79 653 600 000 000 000 000 J/year

2 W/m2 (your own stat for wind turbines; assumes 6m/s average windspeed)
= 63 113 852 J/year/m2

79 653 600 000 000 000 000 J/year
÷
63 113 852 J/year/m2
= 1 262 062 090 585 m2
= 1 262 062 km2

1 262 062 km2 (calculated wind generation footprint)
÷
148 940 000 km2 (Earth land area)
=
Less than 1%. We had to ignore capacity factor, exhaustion of favourable sites, overcapacity to meet peak demand (and/or land which would need to be set aside for energy-storage systems), transmission losses, storage losses, potential wide-scale depletion of wind energy availability, etc. And we used the numbers for 2011 instead of 2050.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Morbus posted:

... the US was relatively enthusiastic about nuclear power in Iran...
Obligatory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

Tias posted:

going nuclear brings with it the potential of meltdowns and material depletion that can end our species
:colbert: Oh, yeah? Well what about the equally plausible scenario in which a solar panel goes rogue and begins rampantly absorbing all available sources of light - leaving the Sun a burnt-out cinder in the sky? :colbert:

Seriously - the numbers don't work:

According to the World Nuclear Association, there were 438 reactors operating at the beginning of this month.

The EIA says that nuclear reactors generated 2,344.806 PWh of electricity in 2012, out of a total of 21,531.709 PWh.

So let's crudely boost that number. We now have 4022 reactors, supplying all of the world's electricity.

Now let's push every one of them through the worst-case nuclear meltdown disaster known to mankind. Ignore the fact that most of those reactors aren't RBMK and that they have secondary containment systems.

Long-running international investigation and review work has estimated the eventual death toll from Chernobyl at 4000.

But let's apply the precautionary principle and assume the worst. There was a report published a few years ago which claimed 985,000 deaths. It had a few methodological flaws, and peer review wasn't exactly kind to it, but let's ignore that and just round it off to a million corpses.

For simplicity, let's also assume that all of those people die immediately of acute radiation poisoning. The actual results involve stuff like "guy should have died at 70 of heart failure, but instead died at 68 of thyroid cancer", which is less exciting from a doomsday perspective.

So: every power plant on the planet is replaced by a nuclear reactor. Each reactor spontaneously turns itself Russian, overrides all of its safety mechanisms, and shits itself sideways until the desperate survivors manage to entomb it in concrete. 4,022,000,000 people die.

The three billion survivors are going to be pretty upset, and life is going to be pretty lovely for a while without any electricity. But you're going to need bigger numbers if you want to actually kill off the species.

GulMadred fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 29, 2015