Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've only seen two so far, the one on Tim Richmond (when it originally aired) and June 17, 1994 (yesterday on Netflix). I went to look for the original thread and couldn't find it, so I'm glad this one was posted.

Richmond's was interesting and gives you a feel of "Oh God why did he have to loving die?". It, like many other things NASCAR (as goons said in the old thread), was a bit whitewashed, but gave a good look into Tim as he faded and, through Jerry Punch and Hal Needham, what went on in the last days. Bill France, Jr.'s admission that "Well, the test was flawed" made me think :wtc:, though given Richmond's personality, it was definitely believable that he'd use a car as a suicide machine to "Go out doing what he loved/in a blaze of glory". I wish he'd have kept his original message on the banner (which I guess was a well-worded attack on Bill France). Being the most comprehensive Richmond piece I'd ever seen, he definitely was a cocky rear end in a top hat, which I guess had to do with him being brought up by a family who supposedly bought him a car, boat, and airplane for his 16th birthday. But there was something so redeeming about him that, unlike a guy like Scott Speed who's a complete smug douchebag, I could look past it.

It also brings to light NASCAR's drug-testing policies and how the France family could have them hosed up and bury it if they really wanted do, especially interesting in a time where Jeremy Mayfield was booted for life and has fought tooth-and-nail, other minor guys like Aaron Fike and Kevin Grubb were banhammered, and AJ Allmendinger has recently caught flak.

June 17, 1994, between the lack of narration and eerie-looking timestamps, was chilling and had the feel of that 9/11 documentary History shows each year which is made up of home videos, has no narration, and the only information given comes in the form of timestamps and periodic warnings of "The following documentary features graphic images. Viewer discretion is advised." (or something like that). It was that chilling, especially since I was 6 when the OJ chase went down.

The film could've used a bit less of the "channel flipping" effect as seen at least twice, but seeing the media reaction in the days before shock value news shows was amazing. Costas looked like he'd seen a ghost and didn't know what the gently caress. It was also interesting that there were so many outlets covering it at the same time that the graphics crossed over between networks ("And we don't actually have Barbara Walters, that's a crossover from ABC's feed"). I'd seen clips of the people lining the overpasses to see the chase but never realized that people had PUSHED OUT ONTO THE INTERSTATE to have a look.

e- I guess it wasn't known at the time (or maybe it was because I saw the footage for the first time after the event actually happened), but did anybody at the time think OJ was REALLY going to kill himself or did people think it was "I'LL DO IT MAN! I'LL DO IT! YOU JUST WATCH..."?

More simply put, June 17, 1994 was really drat good.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

A special on the 1981 race would be amazing in my view.

Also, one on "The Split", and it's impact on motorsport in the US.

Came here to post this. I'd like something on The Split.

Also, Broke will be fascinating.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Some of the milestone moments in NASCAR (1992 Hooters 500 and its subplots, Earnhardt's death) have already been covered by Speed's "The Day" series. I can't think (at least right now) of what else out of the world of NASCAR would feel right in a 30 for 30.

Could they do an NHL one on Gary Bettman and how the hell he's allowed two (soon to be three) lockouts in 20 years?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Something on Alex Zanardi would be a hell of a documentary. Similar to Richmond in that it would be a racer-in-his-prime-turned-tragic, the difference being Zanardi's having a somewhat happier ending thanks to his survival, recovery, and success in another form of racing (paralympic cycling).

I'd forgotten Zanardi's wreck happened just after 9/11. Double the sad times.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I thought this was going to be wall-to-wall "Here's how much money I made. Here's how I blew it like an idiot. Here's how I live now."

This has been 15 minutes of "Bling bling, dawg, bling bling."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Herm Edwards: Prophet of Common Sense.

"Don't have champagne tastes when you have beer money."

"How can you drive all those cars? You can't drive all those cars. You can only drive one car at a time."

Professor Funk posted:

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get to that

I don't doubt it. I guess I'm more used to the pace of To The Limit and June 17, 1994, which started out making you say "drat...".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Giant tomaters. He fell for a Simpsons science project

There's tomatoes in everything. You know ketchup? There's tomatoes in ketchup!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bernie was trying to keep his dad happy for fear of pissing him off. :(

Kosar's current girlfriend is a multi-millionaire from my hometown.

Word is she's not doing much better financially.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Unsurprisingly, this whole thing is playing out like a real-life version of Kanye's "Gold Digger".

"You'd see him on TV, any given Sunday
Win the Super Bowl and drive off in a Hyundai"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good 30 For 30. There was a good point brought up about why universities don't give the athletes they make millions off of a basic financial education. At the same time, you sort of have to roll your eyes at the arrogant ones that were among those that dozed off during the information sessions the NBA/NFL hold to attempt to tell them to be smart with the money.

Herm Edwards owns, especially after the "One jewelry. Don't be going after the Mr. T Starter Set" line.

And maybe it's because everyone in this state is so :fap: over him that makes it somewhat surprising, but how the hell did Archie Griffin go bankrupt?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

From Elway to Marino was pretty good.

Just caught "Who Killed the USFL?" on ESPN2 (had wanted to catch it on Netflix and forgot). Trump never ceases to amaze me. What a petulant asswipe.

"I think we need to be top dog. I want to be bigger than the NFL, so let's sue them."

"Well, I lost my lawsuit, so screw it all, I'm just going to take my ball and go to my penthouse."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Rumors have a Maurice Clarett-based 30 for 30 debuting after the Heisman ceremony this winter.

June 17, 1994 is gripping as hell.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Tim Richmond: To the Limit - From what I learned in the 30 for 30 thread a complete white wash of what really happened. Bullshit again because like Once Brothers (done by the league's in house team) its done by NASCAR films.

Unfortunately, NASCAR likes to deny its sketchier moments and paint them in a prettier light, and will threaten to squash anybody that speaks against them (see $50,000 fines for complaining about the new car). Some of the archival clips and interviews with people that didn't seem to care what NASCAR thought (Dr. Jerry Punch and Kyle Petty, the latter thought the handling of the whole "pneumonia" situation was bullshit from the beginning) were the best.

e- I had never thought about the possibility of Richmond getting a ride and running the '88 Busch Clash to use the car as a suicide machine.

One of the mini-documentaries about Wendell Scott's first win in the 1960s (and the deliberate awarding of the win to Buck Baker, who finished second, so as to not piss off rednecks) might be interesting, but the producer would probably wind up face down in a North Carolina field once Brian France got wind.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 30, 2013

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Danica! posted:

the split and what a douche bag Tony George is.

This is the one I'd seriously love to see, and figure ESPN would do seeing as they're losing NASCAR but will still have IndyCar coverage through 2018.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'd never heard this story either, so I was excited for it.

The story of Big Shot is like a storyline from South Park: total stupidity and ignorance of something obvious. They didn't even think to call the guy running the Stars and say "Uh, what's the deal with Spano?" :psyduck: ?

Acquilae posted:

If multiple instances of under vetting prospective owners hasn't cost Bettman his job, then not even a dead prostitute in his hotel room would do it either.

Just when I thought Brian France was the titleholder of worst commisioner/president in sports, not to be outdone, here comes Bettman to knock the gently caress out of the ladder to retake the belt.

Which politician is he related to and/or who does he have compromising photos of that's allowed him to keep his job despite multiple lockouts and letting several frauds buy franchises?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Forgot to address this last night, but I could've gone my entire life without picturing what came next after John Spano told Mike Milbury "The girls are on their way. They're going to do each other, and then they'll do us." :barf:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

GD_American posted:

FIFA should definitely get a 30 for 30. The clusterfuck that will be the Dubai World Cup should be plenty.

World Cup. Dubai. The Desert. Alrighty.

I would watch that 30 for 30.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Maurice Clarett-Jim Tressel one debuts right after the Heisman ceremony and it's done by the Zimbalist Brothers, who made The Two Escobars.

There have only been a handful of 30 for 30s that I've wanted to watch on their premieres (To The Limit, Broke, Big Shot). This will be the next.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Any thoughts on Youngstown Boys? I'd never heard the whole story outside what was presented on different news outlets in Central Ohio and had lost track of what happened. Clarett had become somewhat of a running joke in Ohio in the years since he fell off the map, complete with his washout with the Broncos.

It doesn't surprise me that Andy Geiger had the OSU Ego and threw Clarett under the bus to protect his own image. It's stuff like that and people like Gordon Gee (who really should've just shut the hell up about everything in general), Gene Smith (rear end in a top hat who probably should've gone down with Tressel), and Fickell ("We allowed 41 points against Michigan, but what went wrong with the defense? Did we win? Did we win?") that have helped me become disenchanted with OSU football in the last few years.

e- Combine that with the exorbitant requirements Clarett had to meet to even think of getting back onto the field with OSU. 3.5 with no tutors, punishment sprints, etc.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 15, 2013

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

OH WORD SON- What?

I remember hearing Kerrigan's shrieks of "WHY? WHYYYYY?" On TV as a kid and being horrified, so I checked out Price of Gold and was sucked in quickly.

I found interesting how they found a way to make Nancy an unlikeable princess while highlighting what a petulant bitch Tonya is. As others said, the first half makes her seem sympathetic with an awful mom and a white trash husband, and then...

R.D. Mangles posted:

Just saw the Price of Gold and it really took me back to being just old enough that a figure skater being associated with hired goons who whacked another figure skater in the knee was completely absurd. Now I want to see a 30 for 30 on the time Katerina Witt got assassinated in Paris by an associate of Stellan Skarsgaard while being pursued by the Super IRA.

Katerina was a pawn in an international battle for an ice skate case.

(I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that in mind :hfive:)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 18, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kerrigan will be on NBC on Sunday before the Closing Ceremonies, unless there's a weather delay, at which it may air as rain/fog delay filler first.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I saw very little, but from what I DID see (starting right around the time where she performed and won silver), Kerrigan seemed/s like even more of a spoiled shitstain.

Didn't she piss and moan the whole time she was in the Disney parade, complaining it was corny and a waste? If you paid me decent money, I'd sit next to Mickey and wave while biting my tongue if I hated it. Then she got paid more to make a terrible joke about it on SNL.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Another Bay Area World Series earthquake special, just what the world needed.

I've actually never seen any of these and am fascinated by the events surrounding that game. Given how good many of these 30 for 30s have been, I'm looking forward to it.

The rest I could take or leave. I'd like to see at least one more about racing, but with NASCAR leaving ESPN at the end of the year and ESPN only carrying a paltry amount of races (outside Indy), I'm not getting my hopes up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Watching Playing For The Mob now. Is Ray Liotta the narrator?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Looking forward to this one. As a kid, the Loma Prieta Earthquake was the scariest natural disaster I'd seen in my book. The fans in the stadium being oblivious to what had happened outside was eerie.

e- The engines of crushed cars on the Cyprus Freeway revved because the drivers, themselves squashed, had their legs forced onto the accelerator. Jesus gently caress. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 15, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Watching The U: Part 2 right now. Greg Olsen seems like an insufferable douchebag. Not to make it sound like I'm apologizing for the U, but Nevin Shapiro also seemed like a superfan loser who bought all his friends and then threw them under the bus when the going got tough.

e- And then Miami caught a break because the NCAA went all NCAA and made themselves look like asses.

Also, the one about the Miracle on Ice told from the Russian side (premieres February 8th) looks like it's going to be amazing.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 15, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

soggybagel posted:

What's this Russian look at the miracle on ice? I didn't see it on their webpage?

There's absolutely nothing out there on it apparently. I just did a Yahoo search for "Of Miracles and Men", with "30 for 30" and/or "ESPN" added on in separate searches.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Awful Announcing posted this on Of Miracles and Men: http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/new-30-30-will-examine-soviet-side-miracle-ice.html

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Of Miracles and Men premiering now on ESPN. It re-airs on ESPN2 at 11:00PM Eastern.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Show more of Fetisov's daughter.

Seriously though, this has been worth the wait so far. Mother Russia really did build themselves a hockey juggernaut.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Were you in Lake Placid for the Olympics?"

"I won the Gold Medal!"

Oops.

e- I love the tone taken by the Soviet PBP guy. It's what I'd expect of North Korea's radio broadcast: "What a tremendous effort by our glorious team! What heroism! What camaraderie! Such a triumph!" :ussr:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 9, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Soviet PBP guy was defeated with 11 minutes to go.

"8 minutes, 5 seconds...until we go to the firing squad..." :smith:

"And with that, we end our commentary. This is Nikolai Orezov, defecting to the United States."

No, Slava. "No goal, third place at best."

e- And god drat, the Canadians were some cheap-shotting SOBs in those early Canada/USSR challenges.

e2- Dumbasses at ABC showed the outcome of the game before the tape-delayed telecast was on.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 9, 2015

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"Boris, I think it's time you retire."

God drat. Never mind that you changed goalies after the first period, which might've had an impact. Just tell the captain to hang 'em up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tretiak would retire to defect to England and become a spy with MI6 in the late 1980s.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

The Scott Arniel of the USSR.

"Just keep piling it on..."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

An important thing I just learned: apparently Soviet hockey training involved throwing shoulder checks into trees.

Improvisational dancing on skates, too!

Retail Slave posted:

Guys I'm starting to think that Soviet government officials were dicks.

"Yes, Slava, you can go to America if you ween us the Gold."

(Wins Gold)

"PSYCHE! Haha, see? Is joke because you belong to Mother Russia!" :ussr:

"Do you want to sign contract with Lou? He is here. OF COURSE YOU DON'T! We bug his room to make sure you stay or else." :commissar:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Russian form of hockey, 11 vs 11, should be a thing at the All-Star Game.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Now that I would've bought a ticket to.

I didn't know Dinamo Riga was Team KGB.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e- The most annoying thing about To The Limit is Bill France Jr's admission that HHRMPH, well, the drug test results may have been a bit skewed. :fuckoff:

Crazy Ted posted:

Which reminds me: I want a 30 For 30 on Dick Trickle.

just because

Niwrad posted:

Sounds like he owned pretty hard.

For emphasis, the second link Viking posted is a FOX/FS1-produced, 30-For-30-style short on Dick Trickle which is the ultimate bio on him so far.

Warning: It starts with his suicide call to 911.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I was once interviewed as a 13 year old in the game room at the Washington, DC ESPNZone by a local news station on my thoughts of what the XFL was going to be like (because there was hardly anyone else there and I guess I looked like a target).

I had no idea about it and think I rambled something out about hoping it wouldn't look too much like WWF meets football.

What I'm saying here is I watched some of the XFL and reaaaaaaaaaaaally want to see this.

• Locked thread