Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I couldn't find the old thread, so I figured I might as well get some discussion on these now that they're on Netflix. 30 for 30 is a series of documentaries made by ESPN initially for the 30th anniversary of the network. Despite the fact that ESPN's original programming usually sucks and the project was headed by SAS bette-noir Bill Simmons, a lot of the films are really well done and on topics not normally covered by sports documentaries. Here are the ones I've seen and how I'd break them down:

Must-watch

The Two Escobars
June 17, 1994

I just finished The Two Escobars after having saved it for awhile and the hype is true. Its easily the best I've seen of the series and I can't recommend it highly enough. June 17, 1994 is about that infamous day when OJ took off in the Bronco, but it also saw the end of Arnold Palmer's PGA career, the first day of the World Cup in Chicago, an NBA Finals game, and myriad other sporting events. The most interesting part is that it is put together only through news and raw footage with no narration and the events all fold together in real time, which really resonated with me because I remember a lot of the OJ shots but was not quite old enough at the time to really process what was going on. Also it's a welcome break from the traditional narrator-footage-talking head format that these documentaries invariably fall back into. The Escobar one has no narration and the talking heads are all in Spanish and subtitled, but I thought all of the interviewees were really fascinating and they have found some stunning footage of the chaos in Colombia.

Really good sports documentaries

Catching Hell (Bartman)
Once Brothers

One Brothers is about the fracturing of the Yugoslav basketball team and the relationship between Drazen Petrovich and Vlade Divac. As a Cub fan, Catching Hell was really tough to watch, and the footage of Bartman leaving Wrigley is absolutely terrifying.

Enjoyable

The U
Winning Time (Reggie Miller vs. New York)
Pony Excess
The Best There Never Was (Marcus DuPree)
No Crossover (Iverson)
Jordan Rides the Bus

The Reggie Miller one was way better than I thought it would be and also brought back good memories of NBA on NBC. Also Ahmad Rashad looks exactly the same. The DuPree one is worth it for the footage of him just destroying everyone in high school and college and makes a strong case for the jheri curl/giant glasses look to come back for running backs. Combined with Pony Excess, it has made the process of football recruiting look even more stomach-churning. Both the U and Pony Excess wore me out with the incessant talking heads, but The U is great because of coinflip staredowns and the greatest football taunt ever recorded by humans.

Eh
Run Rick Run

I like Ricky, but this one was kind of all over the place.

What
Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?

I made it about 10 minutes through before deciding I wanted to strangle the narrator. That is impressive since he goes for the early sympathy play by attempting to interact with the vile Donald Trump.

What else should I check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I can't remember what I thought at the time (I was 17ish), but I do remember as I was watching the show wondering how OJ would be remembered if he did kill himself. Even if it came out after that he probably killed Nicole there wouldn't have been the huge spectacle of the trial educating everyone about just how guilty he was.

It seems weird now but he was damned near universally loved. Sure it was for superficial dumb things, but most of us didn't know about any trouble at all with Nicole and just thought of him as the amazing running back who was hilarious in the Naked Gun movies.

I was pretty young at the time, but when Kardashian read that note, I can't imagine anyone thought OJ was still alive. The chase became so surreal that anything seemed possible. I don't remember people going out on overpasses just to watch the car pass, though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd like to see one on bench guys and scrubs that win rings narrated by Brian Scalabrine.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I like that the person who made the Iron Bowl one figured that had a pretty good football documentary but all he was missing was a bunch of footage of a guy pretending to play Sweet Home Alabama on the piano while making goofy faces.

Also, I saw the Spurlock one on agents. Were we supposed to be rooting for that douchey NFL agent who was hamming poo poo up for the camera, because I laughed when the one dude inexplicably dropped him after he got drafted.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 9, 2012

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I had no idea there was a Marinovich documentary. I can't imagine it not being good unless it was made by a filmmaker with a crazy movie dad that raised his kid from the cradle to make a bunch of movies and then the kid spiraled out of control and submitted a documentary that was nothing but dutch angles, boom mics, and late-period Sting music.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

When Todd Marinovich was caught for possession of meth he wept, for he knew that there were no substances left to smoke, shoot, or snort.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

You know I was growing up in a small town in Austria and I wanted to lift weights and my dad said no you have to drive a tank but I wanted to dream big by being the biggest man in the world and no one else believed I could be the biggest man in the world they had never heard of the body buildings and the posing and all of those things, but I said no I am going to keep body building so I lifted the weights and trained with the army and all of that and then I won the contest and now I have a giant watch and was a governor and all of those things so believe and you can succeed.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't care at all about BMX racing or any sort of X-Games sports, but the Mat Hoffman doc was pretty cool.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'll be really disappointed if the Clarett doc isn't called "The Galloping Goose."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I swear the guy who wrote the voice-over for the little league documentary had some sort of bet about how many awful, over-wrought cliches he could force out of a gravelly-voiced actor. I dare you to get more than 15 minutes into it without getting incredulous that those sentences are happening to you.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bo was pretty bad for the Sox, but I remember that nobody cared because Bo Jackson was playing for their team. As far as I'm aware, there is still a big Bo Jackson poster at the Cell, and he was a part of the awesome pre-game montage as well, and Sox fans are still pretty jazzed that they got to watch Bo play, even if he was kind of crappy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm finally getting a chance to catch up with the new batch. I liked the Fab Five documentary quite a bit, although it really suffered without Webber's participation. Broke was pretty boring and obvious and the presence of Curt Schilling and Sean Salisbury were particularly galling. I think it showed that The U's greatness was much more a product of its subject than the filmmaker. I would have preferred Broke if it was called "Andre Rison Talks for 80 Minutes."

The real injustice is that Netflix doesn't have You Don't Know Bo yet. I honestly don't care what the doc is about as long as it has Bo engaging in important Boz-trucking, wall climbing, and Tecmo dominating activities and mentions how he teamed up the Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky to solve crimes after Wish Kid was over.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bo Jackson one didn't really do anything surprising or interesting, but it was great because Bo Jackson is so ridiculously awesome that there was no need to gussy it up much. The only artistic touch was the presence of some Dark Crystal muppet labeled "Chuck Klosterman" that talked for what seemed like 20 minutes. I'd trade those 20 minutes for an additional 20 minutes of Bo Jackson highlights.

In fact, watching a bunch of these 30 for 30s, I'm consistently mystified why they keep interviewing people who did not know the subject or have any connection to him or her other than watching on television. None of these people adds anything whatsoever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Just saw that Knuckleball went up on Netflix if you're like me and want to watch the Dickster knuckling the poo poo out of people.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Just saw the Price of Gold and it really took me back to being just old enough that a figure skater being associated with hired goons who whacked another figure skater in the knee was completely absurd. Now I want to see a 30 for 30 on the time Katerina Witt got assassinated in Paris by an associate of Stellan Skarsgaard while being pursued by the Super IRA.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

The Price of Gold was really good and it's something I have vague memories of as a kid. I wish they had somehow gotten Gillooly or Kerrigan on camera for the interview (but Gillooly's gone underground and Kerrigan gave NBC the exclusive iirc).

E: Also it was on Netflix like a week after it aired

Deadspin tracked down Gillooly and had an interview with him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone see the Harding and Kerrigan documentary on NBC? I'm curious how it stacked up to Price of Gold.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

soggybagel posted:

Having seen neither do you think it had to do with the fact that NBC had full access to olympic archives?

NBC had access to Kerrigan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I've been watching some of the soccer stories, and I'm pretty disappointed. The Brett Ratner one on the Rimet trophy was awful-- just terrible narration from Ed Norton over b-roll of Nazis goosestepping around and some auction footage. Hillsborough is probably the best of the lot, but I've only made it halfway through.

Also, I watched the Bad Boys and it was well done, but there was no way in hell that anyone could ever get me to sympathize with Bill Laimbeer and my favorite parts of that movie were any time something bad happened to Bill Laimbeer such as him losing games or getting punched in the face.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I thought the trophy one was OK mainly because I'm a dumb American who didn't know any of the history of it.

Not 30 for 30 related but is "One Night in Turin" any good for a soccer documentary? Netflix keeps recommending it to me after watching the 30 for 30 soccer ones.

I actually watched it, and it's fine if you like Gary Oldman feverishly narrating 1990 World Cup highlights, video of English people getting teargassed, game footage intercut with filmed soccer impersonators' knees, and Maximum Gazza.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'd like a documentary on the '89 Indians and their unexpected pennant win with a bunch of cast-offs and unknowns despite their owner's attempt to lose enough games to move the team to Florida.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Watched the Boz one and this may be evil, but it was kind of funny when he's tearfully regaling his son about all of the mistakes he's made in his life but the object that's making him mist up is a t-shirt that says "National Communist Association Against Athletes Welcome to Russia."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

His son afterward wanting to wear the shirt to school was also pretty funny

It's a really funny shirt.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rand University is on Netflix now, motherfuckers. Could have used an extra halfhour of Moss NFL highlights though.

Also just sort of half-watched From Elway to Marino and while I fully support the right of any American to tell Robert Irsay to gently caress himself, it's also incredible how far out of his way Elway went to comport himself like the villain in a John Hughes movie. Also, a daily reminder that Dan Marino is barely able to string words together yet got to make millions from appearing on television and in isotoner ads.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHAT THE HELL WHY IS SILLY BEARDFACE DROOPY VOICE CHUCK KLOSTERMAN ROLLED OUT ON MULTIPLE 30 FOR 30S

e: I don't have any interest in tennis, but I'm watching the Jimmy Connors one and he is hulking up against McEnroe's Brother and I that is an incredible fist pump game he's got going.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 24, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

that was less a why from a logistical and practical standpoint and more of a why as in why is this happening to me

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

http://youtu.be/P4DLvI6LehE

If you can't wait for the 30 for 30 about the Soviet side of the miracle game, this doc about the Red Army is releasing now, hosted by Slava Fetisov and produced by Werner Herzog. It looks fantastic.

I hope there's Herzog narration: I've read hockey is a game of great skill, grace, and courage. But when I look at it what I see is ice murder.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

he like this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the XFL people better have gotten Rashaan Salaam and Jesse Ventura

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

algebra testes posted:

I find the season/team ones interesting like the Houston team that imploded (lol buddy is such trash) and the last Browns season in Cleveland, and the ones about coaches to be generally good.

I also really liked the series (America's game?) about classic games. Although I have literally never seen them more than once or twice they seem hard to find. I saw one about the Cardiac Colts or something(?) with one of the Harbaugh brothers which was cool.

a few years ago they were all on Hulu and I watched almost all of them. Dilfer is amazing in the Ravens one, he is so defensive and talks himself up as a star quarterback with zero self-awareness and this was before he was on TV all the time so that was novel.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RIP Rashaan Salaam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chromatic posted:

Ventura is actually a really good announcer but I don't think he knew much about football itself which probably hurt the product.

Also he took the job right in the middle of his term as Governor and that caused quite a bit of backlash and controversy.

that owned, it was like pappy o'daniel doing the hillbilly flour radio hour from the governor's mansion

• Locked thread