Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Scott Dorque" is what they call you in the halls in French Immersion school before they pants you and shove you in your locker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phanatic posted:

I think Breaking Bad would only have been improved if they'd named Jesse Gegumby instead.

Edit: Oh poo poo, even better. "I watched Gegumby die. I could have helped her, but I didn't."

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Skyler: "I hosed Gegumby."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A local paper has their Babies of the Year page up this week.

My favorites are:
Pepper Lynn
Kason
Crew
Manny Boy
Oakland
Maple Mae
Kory Jaxx
Ammo Wayne

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
An acquaintance has named their baby Richard, and has made the bold choice to go with the nickname Dickie. Personally, I think it's cute, but the kid's gonna have a hard time at school.

e: Ammo Wayne is somehow the most aggressively American name I've ever heard. Even more so than the Liberty Freedom Eagles and whatnot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Little Ammo is actually Canadian.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
A cunning ruse, I'm sure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Little Ammo is actually Canadian.

And where is Canada?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I work at a car dealership and see tons of names come through every day. A couple stickouts have been Tycho von Rosenvinge, sounds like a Final Fantasy character; and Miltonberger Worthington III. Can't believe there's been 3 generations of that name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Night Danger Moose posted:

I work at a car dealership and see tons of names come through every day. A couple stickouts have been Tycho von Rosenvinge, sounds like a Final Fantasy character; and Miltonberger Worthington III. Can't believe there's been 3 generations of that name.

how is a mf gonna be named Miltonberger Worthington as an adult and decide to do that to a child

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the last manager of the local Radio Shack had a name that was something close to Drago Bloodivich. can't remember it exactly, but he sounded like he was going to take over part of the Forgotten Realms by force

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

venus de lmao posted:

how is a mf gonna be named Miltonberger Worthington as an adult and decide to do that to a child

Twice! I still laugh about it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

venus de lmao posted:

I dated a Joseph Ignatius III for a while, so my theory is that there's just generational perversity at play. (Although the Joseph Ignatiuses in question were also very Catholic, so maybe it was just... Catholicism.)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Antivehicular posted:

I dated a Joseph Ignatius III for a while, so my theory is that there's just generational perversity at play. (Although the Joseph Ignatiuses in question were also very Catholic, so maybe it was just... Catholicism.)

the guy from Confederacy of Dunces had a child exclamation point question mark

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Antivehicular posted:

Joseph Ignatius is a normal enough name. There's no excuse for Miltonberger.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Empty Sandwich posted:

the guy from Confederacy of Dunces had a child exclamation point question mark

That's just a Moonbase Alpha reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cObozvAQ0

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I knew a III and they died really young which must be terrible for I and II. Not that it feels great to live to see your grand/kid die under normal circumstances but they clearly had a branding thing going on and it didn't pan out.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

venus de lmao posted:

Joseph Ignatius is a normal enough name. There's no excuse for Miltonberger.

Milton: Sounds a little dated, but not weird.

Miltonberg: As a given name? That's a little out there, a little comically outdated, but workable I guess. He'll probably have a shortened version for daily use.

Miltonberger: oh come on

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Night Danger Moose posted:

I instantly imagine this guy's dweeb level to be insanely off the charts, like Jacob Rees-Mogg

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

just a little chuckle

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
We all laugh at Mike Truk but imagine being the Japanese guy looking up baseball names and discovering there's an American player named Whitey Ford.

"No WAY that's real," he thinks to himself. "All bets are off."

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Brawnfire posted:

I knew a III and they died really young which must be terrible for I and II. Not that it feels great to live to see your grand/kid die under normal circumstances but they clearly had a branding thing going on and it didn't pan out.

Study question: if that happens and the II can still have another child, with the same name, should the next one be III again or IV? I feel as if either could be (and probably has been) done.

Brawnfire posted:

just a little chuckle

A little chuckle is all you get from a Kidder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nameless Pete posted:

We all laugh at Mike Truk but imagine being the Japanese guy looking up baseball names and discovering there's an American player named Whitey Ford.

"No WAY that's real," he thinks to himself. "All bets are off."

The silly names in that game were actually put in by Americans.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Brawnfire posted:

just a little chuckle

You always were a Kidder, Dick.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Harvey TWH posted:

Study question: if that happens and the II can still have another child, with the same name, should the next one be III again or IV? I feel as if either could be (and probably has been) done.

III.2

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not interesting, cool, or weird, sorry, but:

I was just in a Teams meeting (:barf:) with someone whose name prompted me to form this opinion: it should be illegal to name your daughter Anu if your surname starts with an S.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not interesting, cool, or weird, sorry, but:

I was just in a Teams meeting (:barf:) with someone whose name prompted me to form this opinion: it should be illegal to name your daughter Anu if your surname starts with an S.

Especially if that last name is Shartsis.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Emily Spinach posted:

Especially if that last name is Shartsis.

What's a hartsis :confused: I mean your hands might me hartsis if you're doing some lifts but that has nothing to do with ani.

Moreover, do not put any hartsi on your hands or anywhere else that is going to be anus-adjacent.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

It's that thing in your chest that goes thump. Also, I'm not your sis.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Marcade posted:

It's that thing in your chest that goes thump. Also, I'm not your sis.

OR ARE YOU?!?!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

:bahgawd: Aww, son of a bitch!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Selvyn Atteberry
lol, probably the same one I’m related to.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Google TV has a screensaver mode with nature photos that have the photographer’s name in the corner. This one caught my attention.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ralph Hurley posted:

Google TV has a screensaver mode with nature photos that have the photographer’s name in the corner. This one caught my attention.

Not strange name for a scandinavian, and Hogholt is likely an americanisation/internationallization of Högholt.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holtin' my Hög.

Although I guess isn't Hög a verb, means something like to cut or bite doesn't it?

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Holtin' my Hög.

Although I guess isn't Hög a verb, means something like to cut or bite doesn't it?
In Swedish, "hög" means "high".

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Doesn't it also mean "right" as in "right-wing"?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Doesn't it also mean "right" as in "right-wing"?

No, the physical and political direction is named höger. Hög means pile, heap, mound and high.

Holt sounds a bit German to modern Swedish so it might be a German name too but the same word exist all over southern Sweden with various spellings in place names, indicating a grove or forest.

Edit: Added some more details.

Zudgemud has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Jan 31, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Today I have a meeting with a fellow whose surname is "Molestina." Apparently an Ecuadorian name, hopefully with not as unfortunate a connotation in Spanish as in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Hopefully your name isn't Tina.