Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My parents nearly named me Arjen after my grandpa, pronounced pretty much the same way as in the OP. It's not an uncommon Dutch name, and pretty normal around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Inspector Zenigata posted:

I know man, I was trying to point that out. I'm in a bit of a Christmas daze right now, sorry if you were just furthering my point and I'm misreading your post. I am transgender, I want Kugyou no Tenshi to feel bad for misgendering and being a general rear end.

I think you mean opallight, not Kugyou no Tenshi.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I saw an article in a (Dutch) newspaper about a kid called Tonny-boy. Not a nickname or anything, his actual name.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I know a Koen. I think it's a pretty normal Belgian name.

Dutch too. For those of you who aren't Belgian or Dutch, it's pronounced Coon.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dikke boom is Dutch for fat tree, not that that makes it any better.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

I remember hearing parents calling out to their children when I worked at a portrait studio, they had used the same naming convention. It sounded like a weird meta social studies class. "India, where's Asia?"

And there's a student with special needs at my school named Aryan. His family might just be from a different culture, but it seems like a weird thing to name a kid to me. (I only mention the special needs part because of the irony of the Nazi thing)

I was nearly named Aryan, spelled Arjen, after my grandpa. It's a pretty normal name here in the Netherlands and doesn't carry the WWII connotations it does in the US/UK. My parents decided naming me after my other grandpa instead.

Come to think of it though, grandpa Arjen's side of the family were Nazi sympathisers during the war, so it might not have been as innocuous as I always thought. Guess I might have dodged a bullet, but looking it up Arjen seems to be derived from Adrianus, and Aryan comes from French, meaning melody, so it's not a white pride thing at all, at least here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

At least it wasn't Vaporeon