Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Andante posted:

I personally knew a guy named Rivendell, though I don't remember what his last name was. He had been named after his father, who abandonded him at a young age, and chose a new name from Lord of the Rings.

In high school, I knew a brother and sister named Arwen and Beren, and always thought that was kinda weird. They didn't pick their own names, though.

The worst one I've come across in the wild was at an Arby's drive-thru window in Wyoming: Areola. I wanted to laugh at her so badly, but I also wanted to cry over the fact that someone would name their child that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Deific Presence posted:

My ex's name is Betty. Not short for Elizabeth, her legal first name is Betty.

What's so terrible about Betty? It's just because she's your ex, right?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

bringmyfishback posted:

I love that name, and my dad is Welsh, so it wouldn't be too terrible if I named my kid that, but I cannot imagine a child named Mfanwy running around rural Montana, fighting bears and poo poo or whatever it is people do here.

As a fellow Liz-Lemon-avatar-having-person, I had to read that post as Liz Lemon, and it made me laugh.

And for the record, I also think Myfanwy is a great name, and I would totally name a human child that. Although it would also constantly remind me of the Decemberists lyric that goes like, "Ugly Myfanwy died on delivery; mercifully taking her mother along."