Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

the chaos engine posted:

After feedback at GDC and Amaze I decided to take some time to redesign the whole thing from the ground up (mostly because I wanted widescreen, partially because the code was getting a mess, partially because I had to redraw poo poo due to feedback anyway). Went into less cute and more arcade-y, which suits the game I think.

The extra detail looks really nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Internet Janitor posted:

Worked on some graphics and tileset handling code today.

I'm still figuring out the style I want to use for background art. This is kinda all over the place.

What are you making your game in? I'm used to Rpg Maker's tileset stuff and Game Maker is tedius in comparison.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
This is what I did with my day, I'm still learning but I'm really enjoying it :3:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shalinor posted:

I really like the punching mouse, though. :3:

Maybe run with it / double down on the mouse? Something about a punching mouse is very 90's / Battletoads / Biker Mice From Mars.

Now that I think of it he is literally dressed like one of the Biker Mice from Mars..

I'll try mess with his eyes 'cos I'm 100% married to the idea of a cyborg hammerhead shark that goes around beating people up.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Count Uvula posted:

Have you tried making his head a little bit more true to life?

Oh wow that's a lot better! You mind if I knick that?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey guys it's my first screenshot Saturday :neckbeard:

Not much of a difference from earlier in the week, I know, but I redid all my sprites, got them walking on mostly the same plane and added barriers to the wall and the edges of the screen. Oh and you can walk vertically, but just in that sideways run animation like out of Final Fight or something.

Right now I'm trying to do health and stamina. Health is pretty straightforward but I think stamina could get pretty interesting.

Edit: poo poo I forgot the best part, I fixed a bug that would crash the game if you punched or died before first moving :v:

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 10, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got scrolling working :3:

Also today I found out about the sprite limit on GM and uh.. I'm not really sure I want to drop €40 on the Standard ed.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Manslaughter posted:

Your ui bars don't scroll! Make sure to add view_xview[view_current] and view_yview[view_current] to their coordinates.

UI bars? Those are part of the building! :v: (Thanks!)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
"And it would lie to you"

Oh man that would be great\awful

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Internet Janitor posted:

Further evidence that Kirby Super Star had the most creative bosses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIDmPvTB20

I honestly think Kirby Superstar is the closest I've ever gotten to finding the perfect game for me.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

retro sexual posted:

My game Guild of Dungeoneering got greenlight in today's batch of 75 :dance:

Oh cool, I will totally check that out :3:

I need some help with game maker, I've got a punch animation set up but at the moment the entire animation only plays if I keep the punch button pressed down. Is there a way to set it up so that I press punch, have the punch animation play all 3 frames and not be able to interrupt it or have my sprite change? I've been reading poo poo online for like 2 hours without a solution so I figured I'd just ask.

code:
//KEYS
key_right = keyboard_check(vk_right);
key_left = -keyboard_check(vk_left);
key_punch = keyboard_check (vk_shift);

// MATHS WEEW
move = key_left + key_right;
hsp = move * movespeed;

//movement
if (hsp < 0) {sprite_index = pl_run_sp image_xscale = -4 }
if (hsp = 0) {sprite_index = pl_idle_sp }
if (hsp > 0) {sprite_index = pl_run_sp image_xscale = +4}

x += hsp;

//punch
if key_punch = 1  {sprite_index = pl_punch_sp }
Oh and I guess I could just change the player object to a punch object and have it revert when the animation plays but it seems messy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So I'd set an alarm and then when the alarm is <= 0 have key_punch=0?

Seems pretty straightforward but when I press punch key_punch changes to 1 and then immediately changes to 0

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Manslaughter posted:

Try my edits here, and add an animation end event (under Other) that says if sprite_index is pl_punch_sp set it to pl_idle_sp.

You are a wonderful person and I can go to bed now. I had tried setting up an animation end event before but my movement was resetting my punch. Oh man I'm so glad that's fixed.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Manslaughter posted:

Try my edits here, and add an animation end event (under Other) that says if sprite_index is pl_punch_sp set it to pl_idle_sp.

I somehow broke this again and my guy gets stuck in his windup frame and wont punch until you release the punch key, but I actually like it more that way!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Look at them go!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

poemdexter posted:

I want to make a double dragon/final fight game now. This is great. Here's a small tip: on punch connect, give the animation a small delay so the player ~feels~ the hit. It looks like a slap instead of a fist to the jaw.

Haha I tried this out and it broke my collision, killing him instantly by delivering 4 punches at once :3:

Edit: There we go!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 15, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
code:
if (hsp = 0) {sprite_index = pl_idle_sp }
This is what was messing me up last night, it was setting my sprite to revert back to it's idle animation as long as it wasn't moving, now that I've set it up so that it only plays so long as there isn't a single other animation playing everything looks better. Anyway I think I'm getting the hang of this, even if I did literally nothing else today other than animate and program.

Edit: I smell really bad :sweatdrop:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I got blocking and stamina mostly working.

As soon as I get those weird glitchy parts fixed (I forgot to make it so you can't attack or block while dead) I'm gonna make a player two :3:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

RhysD posted:

I've been working on this a fair amount the last few weeks and wanted to share a build.

Any feedback appreciated!

Fort Meow - Alpha 0.0.2

Woooa that's so pretty. I wanna try it out after work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got 2 player controls in while I figure out enemy behavior stuff, controlling both players for a gif is hard as gently caress btw.

I thought I'd fixed all my bugs so far, but then right at the end there one snuck in!

So far I've got attacking, blocking, sotn-style back dashing (which needs some work), a tired state, getting hit and dying. All of it tied to regenerating stamina, though at the moment I have a problem with being able to do a move that costs 5 stamina while at 1, which I think I can just stick a check for in.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I finally ponied up for Game Maker which let me make my sprites nicer. So I added this guy.

I also managed to fix that while moving while dead bug too! I'm looking into horizontal movement now, I was having trouble with my characters heads bonking into the upper barriers. Does GM let you put different sprites on different layers? I could have sprites layer up and down as they move vertically..

I have no idea what my phone is doing to that image

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 20, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bert of the Forest posted:

Gamemaker does have layers via their object depth system. To achieve what you're describing, you can go into the step event of the players and create a script that looks something like this:

code:
depth = -y
Basically this tells the objects to change their depth based on their vertical height, so that their heads don't clip into things that are above their heads and so they appear behind things that are closer to the bottom of the screen until you pass them. It's also suggested you make the collision mask on players (and everything else for that matter) only the area around their feet where a shadow would be so you don't get weird things like having trash cans collide with your torso, etc.

That's great! Thanks! I was having the punches land with full hitboxes, but maybe I could have it spread out from his feet!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Game maker has decided it doesn't like keyboard inputs any more. :negative:

Edit and then I immediately fixed it. It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for your brain.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 21, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Bert of the Forest posted:

Gamemaker does have layers via their object depth system. To achieve what you're describing, you can go into the step event of the players and create a script that looks something like this:

code:
depth = -y
Basically this tells the objects to change their depth based on their vertical height, so that their heads don't clip into things that are above their heads and so they appear behind things that are closer to the bottom of the screen until you pass them. It's also suggested you make the collision mask on players (and everything else for that matter) only the area around their feet where a shadow would be so you don't get weird things like having trash cans collide with your torso, etc.

Hey it worked, thanks!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

I preffered the bigger shark - the little guy is cute, but its pretty easy to lose him against the background.

e: Collision masks

The problem with a foot only mask is that there's then no way to detect when you've been hit. (detecting when you've hit something is easy - iirc you can swop your masks in code, so you could swop to a full body mask when you hit the attack button, but doing the same when you've been hit is different, unless you use a collision with someone elses's foot mask as a trigger for loading the full mask in or something.)

My background palette is totally going to have to change, along with the scale. I think the worst part of the bg at the moment is that dead tv. I want to make the background much darker to make it look more like night and to make my sprites pop a bit more.

Gonna test out different hitboxes later tonight with a friend maybe, the feet might be too precise.

Edit: Isn't there a function for sensing if there is a hitbox nearby? Maybe I could keep the feet collision but set it up so that if you are within the right distance on both axis' you can hit each other. That does mean you might be able to punch each other while facing the wrong way though..

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 21, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

Or maybe keep it simple - just assume that two people who's foot masks are touching and are facing the right way can hit each other.

Yeah, atm they are 1 pixel tall, which might be a tad bit too small..

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think I'm going to change how I handle depth too. The way I have it atm is your depth goes up or down as you move but I think I'll have it so that when you cross a point it'll change. It seems more controllable that way. I uh.. might be overthinking all of this...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Well at the moment it's leading to stuff like this

So I need to tweak something at least.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

Where is your sprite's origin point, and where are you doing the depth change - in the draw event?

Dead centre. And every time he moves up and down unless he's stopped.

Manslaughter posted:

Yeah just set every sprite's origin to be right at their feet.
Oh son of a bitch!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ahaha.

Ok setting the centre to their feet didn't help so instead I've set up a bunch of horizontal lines that would change your depth depending on your vertical motion, which broke my collision :v: It mostly works except moving over the line too quickly would double your depth and ruin everything.

Edit: Wait fuckin' hell why don't I just check if my player's Y value is higher or lower than the enemy's, have him clip over or under the enemy and then reset when I move away?

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 21, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Guys I WAS RIGHT

:black101:

It only does it in relation to one sprite atm, which will cause problems later but it's close enough for now!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I personally like them bare on the inside with some high contrast text and then a fancy border.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I could make invisible 32x32 tiles and set it up so as long as you are on the tile you are at x-depth. Though every time I collided with them I'd stop moving I think.

Setting depth to -y was weird. Id end up with one depth at a point, moving around and back to it and then having a vastly different one. Maybe from diagonal movement?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Spatial posted:

You have to do that before the draw event (end step is best). The order of execution for draw events is determined by object depth, it can't be changed while drawing is happening.

Yes that did it! Thank you so much. And thank you Angrymog for all your help too. I can finally do, like, literally anything other than depth now. I'm free!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I uh... broke something again. I have;

code:
x = view_xview[0] + 32;
in the the drawgui event of all my gui items. Except this happens

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gaspy Conana posted:

screenshot saturday, my little side project: :3:

Oh! I should email you my gaudy pop up.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gaspy Conana posted:

aseprite.com is my favorite pixel art program. supports layers, onion skinning, animation, color ramping, and all kinds of other rad pixel arty stuff. and it's totally free. :0)

Yess! Do it! I may release it Monday or Tuesday, so don't take too long if ya wanna get in. Also, "Shop, Fart, Eat" is great.

Aseprite is my program of choice too. I love being able to import pallets and drawing with both mouse buttons is brilliant.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Screenshot...Sunday! Opps!

I got really messed up from not sleeping and stuff the last few days so I just started drawing because it doesn't need me to be more than 70% conscious :v:

Edit: Oh yeah I'm thinking of bumping it down from 4x to 2x so I can fit more of the street in, luckily I had planed ahead and all my sprites were imported at 1x

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 25, 2014

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Angrymog posted:

Your background looks like it's moving faster than the forground.

Yeah I turned the scrolling waaaay up to make sure it was moving and not my eyes messing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Coldrice posted:

Whew, putting the final touches on the next version of Interstellaria for my alpha testers. I put out a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2TxdTSLk94

Figured it's like a animated gif with sound.

Oh what the heck, here's some gifs anyways

Oh my god this is totally gorgeous