Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I love the imagination in the monster designs in Hitmen. Not necessarily how they look, because Thorsby's art is loving atrocious, but how they have bizarre, kind of surreal environmental relationships and symbiosis with other monsters. It reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on, not quite Fantastic Planet, but sort of similar.
The absurdly convoluted play outs of the character's lies and deceits are usually just as good as the monsters. I think the only time reading through it that I got irked at something going over the post and not being clever any more was the "locked in the closet" sequence on the boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ZearothK posted:

I would like to pose the theory that the true reason that Twolesy development has occurred in this manner is to aid in the advancement of their silly hats and their value in the social hierarchy. Magic is merely a byproduct of this process.

I'd imagine that if you come from a planet that has a reverse gravity zone, when someone tells you they are a wizard capable of summoning demons and killing with stomach cramps, the closest thing to disbelief it would be possible to muster would be a "Sure, why not, stranger things have happened."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ZearothK posted:

I think this is the first time I've seen Thorsby miss an update. Maybe this is what the Mayan Calendar was talking about?

It begins with the slow and steady decline in Chris Onstadt's output for Achewood. It shall conclude with øyvind Thorsby missing a day or two on Accidental Space Spy. Then all will be lost and fire shall rain from the sky. Man's last words shall be "Ever Heard of a Limbchooser?"

-Yorgintzalyoooo LaLameeewooond
(Ancient Mayan Priest and Profit)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

And it's started updating again. You should have seen this coming, Sizone - destiny's kind of dead now.

Are you suggesting there is a Thorsbyverse? That not-Plume is, perhaps the love child product of the illicit affair in Lies, Sisters and Wives?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Spearing Plume is a decision he will come to regret later. Mark my words on that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

scarycave posted:

He's still looking right at us in every panel. :ohdear:

No, it's just Thorsby's drawing style. Hell, the rest of the characters are looking RIGHT AT US a fair amount of the time.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

GyverMac posted:

They really should start to read up on the planets they visit.

Ture, but to be fair, "Super secret secret agent real-Plume, who was kidnapped and basically vanished, has been secretly hiding out on this planet" probably would not have been an entry in spacewiki.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

I've noticed that their eyes change color, possibly in relation to emotion. We just need to figure out which means what.

It means they love abstract art.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

Theory: Not-Plume and Dunkirk will offer to upgrade the machine's power source. "Your sense of humor's just too sophisticated to be appreciated by something that doesn't have a crystal in it!"

Theory: They will inadvertently make all 3 wives hate one another and escape in the chaos.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

RandomFerret posted:

I think the twist is going to be a lot simpler than that. Drill Hinge didn't tell them to make his wives more successful, he said he had two unsuccessful wives and one successful one, and asked them to help out with the problem.

He is really going to regret not being specific about that.

Drill's well aware that not-Plume and Dunkirk know gently caress-all his society, as indicated by him calling them out on not knowing the slaving law. Pretty sure he knows what he's doing, it won't be his own ignorance that defeats him, it'll be Thorsby being the author.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Prediction: Her jokes will still be terrible.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

I wonder if Not-Plume, aka Ben Stamper, will break the record held by one Mike Nelson. He destroyed three planets!

How many planets has ~Plume actually destroyed? He probably made the best loving planet ever even loving better.

edit: ~Plume and Dunkirk finally caught up with their Macguffin, looks like the series is probably drawing to a close.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 6, 2013

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Hey, hold on, where'd the torture arm disappear to in this chaos?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

may contain peanuts posted:

Based on Wednesday's strip I'm not sure these guys are all that sharp.

I'm beginning to think this is all an elaborate test/training exercise to enlist ~Plume.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The limbchoosers not favoring stereoscopic hearing puzzles me. They go for stereoscopic vision. WHY THORSBY? We have two ears for a reason.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Schwarzwald posted:

It might be a complex ear that is composed of multiple separate hearing organs. Such a complex ear could hear stereoscopically on it's own.
The size of the limbchooser ear seems to suggest it. It's unlikely the species would have adapted such a large ear unless the size had some benefit.

I hadn't thought of that. Ear placement, and the fact that there's a head inbetween the two is largely what allows us to place sounds, but cats have basically forward facing ears and they don't seem to have much problem knowing when, and from where, something is sneaking up on them so you're probably on to something.
But they should've gone for compound eyes too, dagnabbit.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Grogquock posted:

(maybe we get a three way team up instead. I mean who the hell is left on the ship who doesn't have a stake in the game? Harp?)

I'm still of the opinion that ~~Plume isn't dead.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

ChairMaster posted:

How could he not be dead? Dunkirk stabbed him pretty good, and I doubt he wouldn't be thorough about it.

Mastery of the body, shifting internal organs to avoid the spear, control of breath and heartbeat to appear dead, BEING A WIZARD.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

my dad posted:

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Image Search

Now we're back to some decent :biotruths: at least. Operation Save the Babby is underway.

Also, should I stop posting the links, or do people prefer them to manually going to the end of the comic?

It's nice to have a heads up when the strip has updated.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

To add to the opposite end: just as it hasn't been very long since we outgrew the need to want to eat fatty foods and store body fat, hence our continued instinct to do so, the spacefaring humans of Petrevolt haven't yet evolved an instinctive aversion to the death of a species.

I have a hard time conceiving of the kind of creature that would be rationally affected in equally appropriate ways by the deaths of thousands, or even millions of what are essentially abstract representations of people in the same way that it would be affected by the death of one person it knows or even can identify with. The amount of sympathy necessary to deal with mass genocide on any kind of emotional level would tax even the mind of god. A creature that is part of a collective consciousness might be able to handle it, but that too is so radically different than what I am that such an experience is pretty much beyond my imagination.

Basically, stop tossing around biotruths. It's a stupid word to begin with, it's misused and where it's applicable is stupid reddit level discussions of why girls, in general, like shiny things. Thorsby's accounts of humor, faith and now this are, albeit cynical, pretty much spot on and humorous jabs at the inherent absurdities of being a sentient creature trapped in a bounded physical form and surrounded by a hostile world.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Grogquock posted:

Hmm, too bad he skipped how the trait arose in the first place for this one. It wouldn't seem particularly evolutionarily advantageous, even before it had the chance of causing complete disability.

Evolution doesn't select for positive traits, it only selects against mutations that are detrimental to keeping the blood line going. In a small enough population, massive amounts of empathy wouldn't necessarily be a drawback. As populations grow, so do culture and technology which counter physical/psychological detriments.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
The prime minister and the president will take Athena and Shim as their second wives. ~Plume will start a war.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Cat Mattress posted:

The latest :siren: update :siren: is a huge surprise.

Yeah, kinda creepy fan art always throws me for a loop too.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Calling it now: Hot, hot Thorsby tjargello presidential three way. Also calling that tjargello sex is something totally innocuous like reciting haikus or alternating the rainbow patterns on their fur.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
"I can't pick that up."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That was the funniest thing I've seen all day. It's amazing how well such a simple gag can work when it's well executed.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Daktar posted:

Oh god, the books are going to end up falling down her ear canal, aren't they?

No, they're going to end up on the ballroom floor. Along with the ear parasite. The ear parasite will be considered the source of Trinketwhatevers societal knowledge. Study of the ear parasite and attempts to replicate its power to grant societal knowledge will circumvent the holocaust by diverting the resources necessary to carry it out. Or the furry giant thingies will all just drive themselves to idiocy by putting parasites in their ears, like in Star Trek 2.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

As an instructor of a logic class, and seemingly perpetually unlaid, let me say that this is obviously fiction. In actuality, saying that you're super good at blow jobs would probably be the way to go.

edit: also Trinketjuice is a spy sent by the opposing nation and will use this opportunity to assassinate the president. War is inevitable.

double edit: and saying that two women will relieve stress twice as good is a compositional fallacy.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 14, 2013

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
A president who would bring his mistress to his bedroom could not possibly be a good president. He deserves his fate for not insisting on a blow job in whatever the equivalent of the oval office is.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Zinkraptor posted:

Well, this... all seems to be ending rather neatly.

Either Thorsby got suddenly really bored with this whole story arc or something crazy is about to happen.

Dunno, the end was terse, but didn't feel at all rushed to me. The gag with the guy threatening to expose everyone and seconds later being eaten by the ambassador, while not exactly original, was cleverly utilized. And it was a good segueway into the president's "just got some new pussy, everything is chill" speech which is, you know, the event that has been the intended goal of the entire arc.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Ulf will solely use his brain chip to hit on women. He will eventually get pretty good at it. The comic will end with the collapsing of all the alternate, or potential, realities into an Ulf singularity. The one constant across all potential realities, the Ulf-child, will serve to stabilize potentiality into actuality, the end will be a single, purely deterministic existence.
Or he'll just get drunk and start blabbing to a covert agent of a terrorist organization who will then kidnap him.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

my dad posted:

The big question is what will happen when some of the Ulfs inevitably start getting killed.

Where Ulf is, death is not. Where death is, Ulf is not.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

Not so. Both AXes remember being A, because up to the second split their pasts are identical and they WERE both A, and their respective Vera remember that too. Thus, the former A's could only choose between being AA and AB. Same with the BXes.

Whenever the Ulfs double in number, each Ulf splits in two and gets a new letter, A or B, on the end of his Ulf-code.

Oh, o.k.. So the next instantiation is going to be AAA, AAB, ABA, ABB, BAA, BAB, BBA, BBB?
Kinda arbitrary that extant realities only diverge on weekly intervals though. Oh well, BRAINCHIP.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In all possible worlds, Aisha has a robot maid sex fantasy.

Huh, just got the Ulf-division thing. Yeah, the ulferal picture of this strip isn't going to hit until, like, 10 years have passed between An... and Bn... and they live in radically different realities.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 26, 2014

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

trucutru posted:

Nah, Aisha is smart. Transdimentional chips are only for ulf-level morons.

What comic you reading?

http://brainchip.webcomic.ws/comics/22

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

smilingfish posted:

His art is getting better.

He has mastered the "hands up in the air" expression of shock.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Wednesday posted:

There's no way Vera would implant a valuable brain chip without including a tracking device, is there? :ohdear:

If Ulf is the best test subject she could find, you can't really make any assumptions. Honestly, if she'd thought to include tracking, why not also include a brainchip carrier self destruct option and save herself the mess of a shotgun in the last strip.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Thinking the ulfs who drop out of contact are the ones who, for what ever reason, develop greater than retard level intelligence. Like the one who didn't leave aisha because alternate aisha slept with another dude in an alternate universe.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Neat, we finally get to see the trial and error of brainchip bar flirting applied to money making scams. Ulfial Darwinism ahoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

He was warned. Also he was stupid. Emphasis on 'was'.

Ulf is now "r-selected", almost to the point of being inexhaustible. There was nothing stupid about the plan. An individual Ulf is a small sacrifice for the collective Ulf to make in order to further it's schemes.

• Locked thread