Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

take_it_slow posted:

Powered through all the comics in three days. This guy is amazingly consistent in his visual style. The only flaw I've seen is the men who acted as living biological models not having blood pulsing through their missing halves.

Stay inside the invisible zone entirely for 2 days, you become invisible, spend 2 days with your side or head outside the zone, that part of your body becomes visible but the blood and the part inside the zone remains invisible. One of the animals on the planet used that trick as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well he's got an electrofrier, I'm thinking that at least this particular wizard knows that magic's a scam.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

But where do the actual kaladihr come from? :psyduck:

Common ancestor.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RandomFerret posted:

I get the feeling that this stuff is meant to be how social evolution works in-universe. It's just there to explain how all these crazy civilizations developed.

If it's not, Oyvind Thorsby may be the most cynical person who ever lived.

I think this might be how evolutionary biologists view the world.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh poo poo, somebody put a fake label over the species indicator on the machine to make her fail.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
MY WIFE'S TURNING INTO A MAN AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!

This page is pretty good even if you've already figured out what's going on.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm curious as to how they keep it a secret from the women so that they don't figure out that they're being sabotaged and manipulated by their husbands, do women just not get it until they become men or is there a huge conspiracy that all of them are let in on upon becoming male?

If it's a conspiracy, Dunkirk and Not-Plume might end up destroying another planet.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kgummy posted:

Oh wow, that's obvious now that you've pointed it out. I always thought it was Petre-volt, not Pet-revolt.

I can't remember though, what was the AHC's goals and whatnot? Or at least, what we've been told.

So far as I remember, the only thing we know about AHC is that they don't like Petrevolt.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, for all his sneaking and cowardice, Dunkirk's kind of a badass after-all.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They can pretty much just put a limb on any part of their body and control it from what we've seen, they definitely just heal them pretty quick. Which makes sense for a race that specifically has detachable limbs.

Also Dunkirk is one of my favorite Thorsby characters ever, his ridiculous scheming and quick-thinking semi-cowardice is always good.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

Or at least, not generally applicable beyond the Tjargellos. While it tends to be Biotruth: the Webcomic; so far it has shown different aliens adopting very different approaches to fulfill the same imperative. How could the "royal harem" theory apply to the trap-building aliens who never actually meets, for example?

You're assuming that every single species goes to war. I bet the ones you're talking about don't even have a word for war.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I kinda wonder if not-Plume is gonna out his identity to the Commander to force Dunkirk's hand in his favor. I doubt Dunkirk's good enough to take out Shim as well, though he is pretty sneaky.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not-Plume is not the brightest of dudes. That light bulb's gonna turn on eventually

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sizone posted:

I'm still of the opinion that ~~Plume isn't dead.

How could he not be dead? Dunkirk stabbed him pretty good, and I doubt he wouldn't be thorough about it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's pretty hilarious. You know, people like to be all "biotruths" this and that, but he's totally right. There's a pretty good reason in those charity commercials they always show you the starving african children and not the adults.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hempuli posted:

Anyway, do you people think Thorsby might personally believe some of this stuff? I have hard time believing that, but it sounds like some people in this thread do.

Some of it not so much but it's pretty undeniable that we're biologically programmed to like babies. If we weren't nobody would put up with their poo poo because they're terrible in almost every way.

edit: I understand that a lot of the general reluctance to acknowledge this sort of stuff because a lot of stupid assholes use it to justify sexism or racism, but it's hardly a reason to pretend like it doesn't influence the way we are in pretty large ways.

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 10, 2013

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BiggerJ posted:

To add to the opposite end: just as it hasn't been very long since we outgrew the need to want to eat fatty foods and store body fat, hence our continued instinct to do so, the spacefaring humans of Petrevolt haven't yet evolved an instinctive aversion to the death of a species.

They've only been off Earth for a couple thousand years. Aside from the obvious cosmetic genetic things that other races modified into them they're evolutionarily pretty much identical to the humans of Earth.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They may have chosen the wrong side in this conflict to try to convince.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Ben may have just blown up a planet.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well, stopping them from having a war with themselves and instead having them have a war against another species is certainly one way to stop them from blowing themselves up. Might also be a good way to get all of humanity wiped out but hey, those babies were pretty cute.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's for me to decide!

I love this comic.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kgummy posted:

It might be because it's late and I'm somewhat tired, but I'm not making the connection.

Did you not read Hitmen for Destiny?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, this is an insane premise and I love it. Thorsby's the best.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Flython posted:

He's really got a great set up here, just so many possibilities. I wonder how many viewpoints it'll take before he's effectively blind.

What kind of schedule does Thorsby normally keep?

Don't forget that he can just imagine them out of his head whenever he wants. He doesn't have to talk to any of the other Ulfs if he doesn't want to.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

Don't forget, too, that they're all running around outside a hospital having just had major brain surgery. The scientist lady was really adamant that doing so was super risky, so it's almost inevitable that one of the Ulfs will be the unlucky one who dies from complications.

There's a pretty good chance she was just saying that because she wanted him to stick around for her scam. It could be true but it could also be bullshit.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

How long have Ulf and Vera known each other now, like two weeks? That's an awfully short time to be suddenly trusting this insane person to run away to a remote Swedish cabin together, even if you are pretty fond of them and they helped you fulfill your crazy robot sex fantasy.

I assume you meant Aisha, not Vera.

Well it's either you run away to a remote Swedish cabin or you hang around to get killed by an angry scientist lady. Ulf's already proven pretty solidly that his brain chip is for real.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Most countries have more than one color for their currency, because they're not fuckin crazy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I doubt Ulf knows what narcolepsy is.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
All Ulfs are the Ulf we were originally following, but I'm fairly confident that the Ulf on the left side of this page is the one who we've been following for most pages of the story. He's Ulf AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA or something like that.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Carrasco posted:

He got at least three times as smart and he still couldn't think of a better plan than "do karate at the people with guns".

I doubt you can think of a plan that's any more loving awesome than that.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ZearothK posted:

You where right.

Thorsby's poor English grammar and spelling usually don't bother me much at all, but this one was a little tough to read with the where/were.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I just checked it out of curiosity, by week 21 there should be 2,097,152 Ulfs total, but there's only 713,866. That's 2 dead Ulfs for every living one.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ, that's so fuckin wonderful. Ulf made him read that line specifically as he said it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The number is increasing, but the percentage of dead Ulfs out of the total number has been decreasing every week, so Ulf's efforts at world-saving have been working to some extent.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why didn't she just say something truthful but misleading about the "operation"? I mean, there really is an operation that really will save the world, etc. They're only lie detectors, not mind readers.

Well there you go.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mister Olympus posted:

Now how many clicks until they run into an Aisha that converted when the first Christian Ulf did, and she starts hijacking things?

That's not how it works, the universe she connects to only splits off from when she hits the button, just like the universe that Ulf connects to only splits off from that 1 week interval time. None of the Ulfs came form before the chip was implanted, and none of the Aishas will have any previous experience different from the Aisha we've been following all the story, only their futures will be different.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The first Aisha to ever use the chip is substantially more experienced and mature than the Aisha that existed back when she first met Ulf, she has the advantage of having spent all this time watching Ulf lose his mind trying to fix the world and knowing what not do to, as well as having a clear goal to pursue.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sizone posted:

I just reread Hitmen, what the hell is the thing carrying away the McGuffin orb in comic 577?

Just one of the henchmen dudes working for that guy whose name I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahaha that's great, Aisha feels .00000012 percent happier! The End!

• Locked thread