Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

jivjov posted:

Skyward Sword doesn't actually use the sensor bar, everything is gyro-based, including pointing.

I finished Skyward Sword. I'm still sticking to my opinion that the worst thing about the game was no left handed mode. Swinging the wiimote around in my left hand just didn't feel right since Link is holding the sword in his right hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Then use your right hand. Every other game you've ever played has you use your left hand for stick and right hand for buttons. The sword work isn't like precision handwriting or something.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They specifically made Link right-handed because of the Wiimote setup, too.

Which made more sense than in Twilight Princess where they added the motion controls in last minute and just mirrored the entire game to make him right-handed

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Best Buy and Amazon will have exclusive Hyrule Warriors pre-order costumes.

Joystiq posted:

Link

GameStop won't be the only retailer with special costumes for Link and friends when Hyrule Warriors battles for control of your Wii U on September 26. Best Buy and Amazon have also opened some special chests and ... Dun-dun-dun-DUN! ... have pulled out some exclusive costumes as well.

Fans of the latest Legend of Zelda game should head over to Best Buy, where you'll get Skyward Sword-themed costumes for Link and Zelda when you pre-order the game. Those who prefer their Hero of Time to be a bit darker should opt for Amazon, which has Twilight Princess-themed costumes for the tunic-wearing swordsman and Hyrule's most-kidnappable princess.

And don't forget, no matter where you pick up the game, if you're a Club Nintendo member who registers your copy before October 23, you'll receive two costumes for Zelda baddie, Ganondorf.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

greatn posted:

Then use your right hand. Every other game you've ever played has you use your left hand for stick and right hand for buttons. The sword work isn't like precision handwriting or something.

I did actually, just didn't feel right either way.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

whaley posted:

It's too bad people have so much trouble figuring out any motion besides shaking the controller around. After the entire planet complained about waggle a game comes out with good motion controls and no one can do it

I'm pretty certain by now that "good motion controls" is an oxymoron. But even if it is possible, which I very much doubt, Skyward Sword certainly didn't manage it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Best Buy is Skyward Sword, Amazon is Twilight Princess, I guess Gamestop is Ocarina of Time?

I would hope eShop purchasers would receive some consideration since I think that's where Nintendo has the best margins. It's kind of bs if they get nothing.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

If Best Buy is Skyward Sword, Amazon is Twilight Princess, I guess Gamestop is Ocarina of Time?

I would hope eShop purchasers would receive some consideration since I think that's where Nintendo has the best margins. It's kind of bs if they get nothing.

Yep, Gamestop is Ocarina of Time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Well, I guess Toilet Paper it is then. At least that retail spread makes it easy to make a decision.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm going to buy it through the eshop with the consideration that the $5 I get back from the DDP will probably be enough to spring for the DLC of my choice.and depending on what I pick up between now and then it might even get me two codes at once.

Unless a really cool Limited Edition is coming to the US but I don't think so.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Suaimhneas posted:

I'm pretty certain by now that "good motion controls" is an oxymoron.

Considering how well gyro controls worked for aiming in WWHD, I wouldn't say so. In general, I find gyro aiming to be really good for quick, precise movements. I'm glad Splatoon will be utilizing it.

fake edit: Also, I suddenly had an explosion of, uh, "activity" on the Google Doc. Was it something I said?

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 18, 2014

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Is there any way I can play Pikmin 3 without the gamepad being on? I want to just use the pro controller and not have the screen ever tell me to look at the gamepad.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
In a word: no. That said, the only time it's necessary that you view the gamepad is during specific cutscenes, and even then, I'm pretty sure you can just look at the T.V. (although you might not see subtitles for what characters say?). Whenever you pick up notes, they'll be displayed on the pad, but they'll also appear on the main screen, so you don't have to look at it. However, if you ever want to use the "go here" function, you are absolutely forced to use the gamepad.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 18, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pikmin 3's "Go here" function is to good anyway, would never wanna give it up.

Unrelated but... I just realized that Music Park in Mario Kart 7/8 is based off Wii Music, was watching clips of old e3 presentations and noticed it's where the music notes on the track are from.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pikmin 3's "Go here" function is to good anyway, would never wanna give it up.

Unrelated but... I just realized that Music Park in Mario Kart 7/8 is based off Wii Music, was watching clips of old e3 presentations and noticed it's where the music notes on the track are from.

Yeah, it's the Miis' official track, man.

EDIT: though the Wuhu tracks in 7 could also count I suppose

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah, it's the Miis' official track, man.

EDIT: though the Wuhu tracks in 7 could also count I suppose

I had no idea that Wuhu island was tied to Miis. I didn't have a Wii, so the first time I saw it was Pilotwings resort and thought it was made specifically for that game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I would go as far as to call the "go here" function vital. You definitely will need to use it and to survey the map to make plans. A decent portion of the time you'll be sending all 3 captains on different missions and the game pad is the only way to do that in any kind of efficient way.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Finished Shovel Knight last night. Great game. People should buy it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Fremry posted:

I had no idea that Wuhu island was tied to Miis. I didn't have a Wii, so the first time I saw it was Pilotwings resort and thought it was made specifically for that game.

:flashfact: Wuhu Island is the titular Wii Sports Resort. I believe it also showed up in the second Wii Fit game. Basically it's a setting they keep reusing and it is awesome, but it's always associated with Miis in some way so I'd definitely consider those official Mii tracks.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Ultigonio posted:

In general, I find gyro aiming to be really good for quick, precise movements. I'm glad Splatoon will be utilizing it.

Oh god no, I was looking forward to that game. Please tell me that's optional and it lets you use normal controls too?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty sure they said it was optional but the one treehouse guy was pushing the gyro controls pretty hard when they were demoing the game

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Regy Rusty posted:

I would go as far as to call the "go here" function vital. You definitely will need to use it and to survey the map to make plans. A decent portion of the time you'll be sending all 3 captains on different missions and the game pad is the only way to do that in any kind of efficient way.

Hmmmmm, interesting. I'm planning an LP around this game, and that could get tricky to record. I guess the television screen looks interesting-enough when using the gamepad map.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

:flashfact: Wuhu Island is the titular Wii Sports Resort. I believe it also showed up in the second Wii Fit game. Basically it's a setting they keep reusing and it is awesome, but it's always associated with Miis in some way so I'd definitely consider those official Mii tracks.

I had no idea. It's definitely a cool setting and I thought it worked really well with Pilotwings.

Suaimhneas posted:

Oh god no, I was looking forward to that game. Please tell me that's optional and it lets you use normal controls too?

It's definitely optional (and obviously isn't even an option to use it if you play with the Wii U Pro controller). That being said, I used it for a while, turned it off and then ultimately turned it back on because it was much quicker to use.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Suaimhneas posted:

Yes, it's optional, you big baby. If you've played WWHD, you should be aware that it's entirely functional and even adds to the experience by not being mind-numbingly slow (or imprecise) like stick aiming typically is.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

Yes, it's optional, you big baby. If you've played WWHD, you should be aware that it's entirely functional and even adds to the experience by not being mind-numbingly slow (or imprecise) like stick aiming typically is.

I got my first taste of that aiming style with OOT3D on the 3DS, and I will accept nothing less in the future. I went from "barely able to hit a goddamned thing without Z-targeting" to a sniper when I started using it. It's the single most intuitive way of aiming I've ever used, even more than wiimote aiming was in TP.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I finally got around to playing Mario Kart 8 with my friend over the weekend, and had a ton of fun learning all the new tracks and then teaming up to play people online.

What's great about the game is that they addressed all of my problems with Mario Kart Wii, such as needing to use motion controls to do tricks (or use the deliberately placed d-pad up on the Gamecube controller), having bikes be overpowered, having dull new tracks, annoying character voices, poor item balance, and bland music. I was worried that since it was the best-selling game in the series, they'd think that they did everything right in that game, although it was only really because of the install base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJIzHHUzWFw&t=18s

I even uploaded a video of one of our races, where I (Metal Mario) threw a shell backwards. My friend (Koopa Troopa) managed to dodge it by bouncing off Donkey Kong, and then managed to direct a red shell aimed at him to hit Donkey Kong instead. I wish I'd used the slow motion a bit more though.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Hey, can someone please tell me what a person might dislike about Pikmin 3? I'll be noting the significant drop in content from 2 ("it's short"), as well as the control adjustments which some people dislike, but what might someone not like about Pikmin 3 in general?

(I'm tempted to write Pikmin 3's genre as "RTS/TPS hybrid.")

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

Hey, can someone please tell me what a person might dislike about Pikmin 3? I'll be noting the significant drop in content from 2 ("it's short"), as well as the control adjustments which some people dislike, but what might someone not like about Pikmin 3 in general?

(I'm tempted to write Pikmin 3's genre as "RTS/TPS hybrid.")

Definitely put RTS in there somewhere. It's definitely a type of game that you either love or hate.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ultigonio posted:

Hey, can someone please tell me what a person might dislike about Pikmin 3?

it sucks

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I'm going to kick your rear end

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Austrian mook posted:

I'm going to kick your rear end

Straight up. Yous a drat fool, Kaubocks.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

controversial opinion double feature: I'm absolutely disinterested in wonderful 101 because it reminds me too much of pikmin even though I'm aware they are completely different games

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kaubocks posted:

controversial opinion double feature: I'm absolutely disinterested in wonderful 101 because it reminds me too much of pikmin even though I'm aware they are completely different games

you dumbass

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kaubocks posted:

These opinions are not controversial, Kaubcocks*, they are just dumb, like you.

Seriously, even people who like Pikmin, there's gotta' be someone who can see how somebody wouldn't like the games? Pace is too slow? Limit on daytime makes it difficult to explore freely? I dunno, I'm grasping, here.

*edit: I meant to type Kaubocks, obviously, but now that I have seen this typo, I refuse to change it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Man, why would I buy Shovel Knight? My mom made me dig a hole in the backyard once to plant a tree and that wasn't very fun at all! :mad:

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Kaubocks posted:

how can someone so into kid icarus uprising be so wrong about everything else

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ultigonio posted:

These opinions are not controversial, Kaubcocks*, they are just dumb, like you.

Seriously, even people who like Pikmin, there's gotta' be someone who can see how someone wouldn't like the games? Pace is too slow? Limit on daytime makes it difficult to explore freely? I dunno, I'm grasping, here.

*edit: I meant to type Kaubocks obviously but now that I have seen this typo, I refuse to change it.

I didn't finish it due to real life, but I do remember issues with the day length breaking up pacing on completing "big" objectives like bosses. A lot of times I had issues beating bosses AND getting the corpse back before time ran out. When I restarted I didn't have the issue the second time, but weird breaks in pacing might be expected on your first time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Austrian mook posted:

Man, why would I buy Shovel Knight? My mom made me dig a hole in the backyard once to plant a tree and that wasn't very fun at all! :mad:

Add fun to that experience and now you have Shovel Knight.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

For real though I don't like Pikmin because I'm not crazy about RTS games for the most part and what little I played of Pikmin kinda hit that nerve.

W101 is a game I really want to like because I'm getting into Platinum games but I see things managing how many people you have to make bigger attacks or to stick 'em to enemies to stun them and uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh I'd just like to control one person please thank you.

EDIT:

absolutely anything posted:

how can someone so into kid icarus uprising be so wrong about everything else

well you see kid icarus is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Jsor posted:

I didn't finish it due to real life, but I do remember issues with the day length breaking up pacing on completing "big" objectives like bosses. A lot of times I had issues beating bosses AND getting the corpse back before time ran out. When I restarted I didn't have the issue the second time, but weird breaks in pacing might be expected on your first time.

you can stop fighting the boss and come back the next day and he will still be at the same life, and the body stays there if you don't bring it back that day

but yeah, the limited time does sort of suck

• Locked thread