Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I bought a WiiU today because of the E3 presentation yesterday. :buddy:

Haven't tried it out yet but I'm looking forward to the convenience of just laying in bed and playing on the gamepad. I'm excited for Yoshi's Woolly World-- it's about drat time we got a proper Yoshi's game and not that Artoon nonsense.

I ended up getting the Wind Waker WiiU. There was a Mario Kart bundle available as well and I know it's more bang for my buck but I couldn't resist the design on the gamepad oh my god it so nice. No regrets.

I'm highly considering going entirely discless with the WiiU. Kind is dicey what with Nintendo's account system (by which I mean lack thereof) but it just seems like it would be so convenient. Haven't entirely decided yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to be sure - your Wii U will need to be in your bedroom to do this. It sends everything to the pad on a second wifi connection and it's not powerful enough to go through walls.
It's fine, I live in a bachelor apartment so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Thanks for pointing it out though.

gay skull posted:

-USB hard drive required
-Sales are rare and always bad
-Lots of Nintendo games are multiplayer-centric so if you have any friends with a Wii U and you want to take a game to their house, there's absolutely no way possible you can download it on their console, at all
-If your Wii U farts out, I hope you like having to call Nintendo and send it in to get your licenses transferred instead of just buying a new console and logging in

Hey, it's your choice, but it seems way too easy to turn into a crapshoot and your only advantage is not having to get off your skinny rear end and swap discs :fyadride:
It's mostly points two and four that bum me out. The sales not so much because I don't particularly see hard copies of games on sale much (but then again I haven't bought a recent console game in years), but the licenses is a killer.

EDIT: Talk about not seeing sales and then PaletteSwappedNinja proves me wrong before I even hit "post".

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

These eShop prices might make me reconsider going entirely digital. Mario Kart 8 costs ~$70 CDN after taxes! :monocle:

With the free game I can probably justify it to myself as two $35 games which is reasonable... Speaking of which, how is New Super Mario Bros U? It's the one in the free game promo I'm most considering because my Wii U came with Wind Waker and I'm not particularly crazy about Pikmin. I played NSMB2 on 3DS and found it kind of underwhelming to be honest. Does NSMBU pick up the slack?

Also, are most Wii U games this dang expensive in the eShop?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I only ever played like 2-3 levels of NSMBWii so I can't really judge.

Natron posted:

Yeah, but with the digital deluxe promotion you'll get points for Mario Kart and the free game you choose, so you get ten bucks back right away. So it's like two games for 30 bucks each.

...tell me more about this "ten bucks back". :allears:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

Aren't all new games in Canada $70 dollars now due your currency taking a dump? I don't live in Canada but there were plenty of articles claiming games were going to be jumping in price.

I haven't bought a new console or console games in a long time so it's hard for me to say. I've largely been a PC gamer for the past few years so I've gotten accustomed to rampant sales everywhere. Seeing new titles I'm interested in at anything beyond $40 is just something I'm not really used to anymore. :(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

I didn't see a choice to use my NNID mii, and the mii I just made is the only one on the system. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to deal with my mii looking slightly different between systems.

I just did this last night. Create a new user, hook up your NNID, and then when it asks you to make a Mii you pick "choose existing Mii" and your 3DS Mii will be there. A little unintuitive and confusing, in my opinion.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I wish I got Super Metroid in Club Nintendo while it was still up. There's no way I could have known I was going to impulsively get a WiiU though. :(

At least the WiiU rewards are generally great while the 3DS ones are typically uninteresting. Now I'll have something to put all these coins towards.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Buy WiiU. Console comes with Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker HD gets me points towards Deluxe Digital and coins in Club Nintendo. Buy Mario Kart 8. Comes with free game. Get New Super Mario Bros U. Both games get me points towards Deluxe Digital and coins in Club Nintendo.

If I understand this right, the Deluxe Digital points can be cashed in for eShop credit which I'll use to get another game which will get me more points towards Deluxe Digital and more coins in Club Nintendo. Haven't even done anything with the coins yet. :stare:

still wish I coulda grabbed super metroid from club nintendo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I've been hearing a little bit about Wii VC games being upgradeable to the WiiU. This is something I'm generally interested in as I think the WiiU eShop is a little bare and I'd like to move away from my retro collection and get them digitally instead. Can someone tell me more about how this stuff works? How do I access the Wii eShop, are all games upgradeable, is it a hassle, etc.?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh, so the only things upgradeable are the things already on the WiiU eShop? Welp, that's not how I understood it at all. Nevermind then!

Also I just remembered an extremely dumb question: Are VC games playable strictly on the gamepad? I spend a lot of my WiiU time just laying in bed or watching a show or something.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

What's terrible is playing games that don't allow saving and/or continues.

I keep forgetting NSMBU doesn't auto-save. :argh:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So wait, why is Paper Mario listed as a WiiU reward if it needs to be redeemed on the Wii eshop? :psyduck:

Good thing I didn't pick it up before work because the only controller I have is a gamepad.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Astro7x posted:

The Platinum Rewards are pretty underwhelming over the years, I wouldn't stress about not reaching Platinum this year

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Club_Nintendo_items_(America)

2013 was posters and a CD
2012 was posters and playing cards
2011 was the Pin Set
2010 was the Figurine
2009 was Doc Lewis Punch Out or the Mario Hat.

I like my Majora's Mask soundtrack. :(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I like video games and the Wii U plays video games therefore I like the Wii U.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

Just started a newgame+ in Shovel Knight because I craved more. What does it change besides fewer checkpoints?

I also just found out that you can destroy checkpoints apparently. They..... stop working, though, of course.
You take double damage, there are less checkpoints (usually only 1-2 a stage as opposed to the usual 4-6), and all platters in the levels that would normally contain health contain bombs instead (exception: the boss rush near the end of the game alternates between bombs and turkey).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

HOLY poo poo I WANT THAT YOSHI

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, I bet a lot of the distaste for the NSMB games comes from fatigue because there's too loving many of them and not enough differences from title to title. NSMBU is my first and I'm enjoying it, though getting those bloody Star Coins is a nightmare sometimes.
Sounds about right. This is my third NSMB game and I'm not super crazy about it. I don't hate it-- I like the varied levels and the flying squirrel suit is nice but overall I'm just tired with it after three worlds.

But yes, Star Coins. I am a huge perfectionist when it comes to platformers in that I'll always try to get 100% of any collectibles hidden about but some of the ones in this game are too well hidden, in my opinion. Most games if I finish a stage and it turns out I missed something I'll replay it right away, but with NSMBU I found myself just shaking my head and pressing onwards.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bullshit. I'll fight you.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

Holy poo poo Mega Man Battle Network. I played the (third?) game compulsively when I was young. Like, the cartrage broke from overuse, and yet somehow I never actually beat the game. I uhh... I might have to go and play this. Is it really bad? Is it going to be really bad? I mean, I can deal with really bad, just not... reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally bad, if you catch my drift.
As an AVID MMBN2, 3, and 6 fan, I have no desire to ever play MMBN1 again. The battle system isn't as refined, the maps are huge and windy and nondescript, and it holds the title of containing the worst dungeon in the entire franchise.

That being said the game rocked poo poo back when it first came out and I will defend anyone's right to say it's an amazing game-- it just really hasn't aged well.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Is Star Fox 64 actually for WiiU or is it "for WiiU" in the sense that you have to launch it through the Wii menu or whatever?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ruggington posted:

I just noticed that capcom put Battle Network on the virtual console

but Battle Network 1 is so bad

but I want to play Battle Network

just put 2 up so I don't buy thissssssss

please capcom

Edit: They only have plans to put up battle chip challenge this month

this is fuuuuuuucked

MMBN PSA: Do not buy MMBN1 or Chip Challenge.

they are bad games

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

gay skull posted:

Additional PSA:

RMZXAnarchy posted:

MMBN1 is perfectly serviceable. Its just a bit archaic in design

Oh whoops yeah I must have said it in the Mega Man thread and not in the WiiU thread but while I think MMBN1 totally sucks nuts these days I am a DIE HARD FAN of BN2, 3, and 6. BN1 was great for the time but it just absolutely does not hold up any more since the sequels.

Seriously if anyone is tempted to buy BN1 off the eShop just wait for BN2 or 3 which are exponentially better games.

EDIT: Admittedly the main reason I like 6 is because of TenguCross though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Ugh if only my WiiU didn't need to update when I turned it on! :arghfist::saddowns:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I dunno, I'm only a few worlds into NSMBU but I feel like a lot of the star coins are just hidden behind walls that aren't really walls joke's on you good luck finding them.

Then there was a ghost house where the entire gimmick was "hit a p switch and now you can go through some walls because it turns out they weren't really walls just bricks but also we're not going to tell you which walls you can go through now" and I honestly had to look up a guide just to get to the exit.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kinda feel like buying a new WiiU game. Leaning towards Super Mario 3D World, downloading the W101 demo in a last ditch effort to make myself interested in that game. Any other games work well in short bursts running typically off the gamepad only?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I already have Shovel Knight on 3DS. :v:

Most likely Mario 3D World then. I looked at NES Remix 2 very briefly and it seemed interesting but I'm not sure just how content there is to it. Let's say I'm a perfectionist and want to 100% it. Roughly how long would that take me?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

If you truly a crazy perfectionist, then you can drive yourself insane trying to get rainbow stars.
Depends on how much I like a game. If I enjoy it, I like having an excuse to keep playing it and getting better.

You should have seen me play Trauma Center: Under the Knife.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I only played about ten minutes of the first Pikmin back when I was 14 but I think I can safely say Pikmin sucks because I don't remember liking it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Been playing 3D World the past couple nights. I like it a lot! I enjoyed 3D Land when I played it but this one feels more... whimsical? I can't quite put my finger on it but this is bar none one of the best Mario games to date.

How long is the game, anyway? I just hit World 5 and it seems like it's the last area on my map but if 3D Land has taught me anything I'm nowhere close to the end.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Four after-game worlds. Star, Mushroom, Flower, Crown.
So 12 worlds total? That's not bad.

I do like how pretty much all the levels are drastically different. Mount Must Dash was hilarious and I really liked the aesthetic of... that poisony area with the piranha plants that snake along the ground. I forget what it was called. :shobon:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

For the completionist in you, you also get to finish each level with every character so it'll feel even longer than 12 worlds! :v:

Does doing that get you a save file star actually?

OH NO THAT IS ABSOLUTELY SOMETHING I WILL BE COMPELLED TO DO gently caress :supaburn:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Nope I'm doing it legit because I don't know what's good for me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

Also I think the music is actually pretty good except it's ruined by those "wahwah"'s. It's a shame those are like the trademark of the New franchise because they're really terrible and omnipresent.
I played NSMB2 back when it first came out and could not believe the soundtrack. There was so many loving wahs it had to be a joke. I could not look past that soundtrack.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

No I love it when that happens it's just so overused in NSMB2 it had to be self-aware.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Pikmin 3 is still $60.
You'd have to be an idiot to pick Pikmin 3 though. :smug:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SM3DW is literally the greatest game ever made. The title screen alone made me burst into tears, evoking such feelings I haven't felt since I was but a child-- before I became the empty husk of a man I am today. The sheer nostalgia of the familiar, yet new, mechanics and environments washes over me as I play each stage.

No video game has a right to be this beautiful and I don't see why anyone even tries to make games anymore knowing this masterpiece exists.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I liked Phantom Hourglass :(

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Really guys? Checking my records, I can fly through that stage in 62 seconds and I'm not even that good at the game. It's not that hard.

oh no is there records in this game am I going to be compelled to set crazy records on top of beating every stage five times

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Why do you people do this to me. First Kid Icarus weapon fusion in the 3DS thread and now this my life is hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also the screen on the tablet itself has some lag right? Was noticeable on Mario.
I frequently switch between playing on the TV and playing strictly on the gamepad and I haven't noticed any lag in any of the games I've played. :shrug:

• Locked thread