Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ethanol posted:

Skyward sword looks a lot better on the gamepad since it's much closer to standard definition. Also my mind is blown on how the wiimote seems to work without the sensor bar as I play it on the gamepad. Even if I'm pointing a different direction from it....

That's because Skyward Sword doesn't use the sensor bar at all (except for calibration), it's basically entirely controlled by the Wii Motion +'s gyroscope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

katkillad2 posted:

There are people who are convinced Link is female in the next Wii U Zelda game, so I'm not surprised they had to confirm Sheik is Zelda.

I wasn't aware there was any debate over this, but I think the argument was more:

1. Is Zelda dressing up as a dude to fool Ganondorf when she's Shiek?
and
2. If so, was she using magic to make herself literally, physically a man while in costume?

In OOT, Ruto called Shiek a "he" so it seemed like "Shiek" as a character Zelda portrays was meant to be a guy -- in the same way that any female Shakespeare character was still a woman even when played by a male actor. That's what I assumed when I played OOT right when it came out.

That said, they changed the dialogue to "she" in OOT 3D and referred to Shiek as a "she" in all material since OOT though (e.g. Smash Bros) so I don't think there was ever any real question -- if Shiek was initially supposed to be a male disguise they pretty quickly changed their minds on that. Despite the tiny ambgiuity, I'm kind of flabbergasted that this was actually a real, legit, internet nerd war though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 6, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

enojy posted:

I kinda don't blame them. If that was Link depicted in that E3 snippet, he was looking pretty androgynous. Of course, that's nothing new to Japan.

I maintain that he looks exactly like ALTTP Link in 3D.

Jsor posted:

Are we talking about Wii U Link? I don't understand how he doesn't look like Link. Aside from the clothes, he's basically just ALTTP Link with a lighter hair shade. I guess there was the ponytail too, but that's a pretty minor embellishment on his design.

I'll grant he doesn't really look like any 3D Link we're used to, though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

enojy posted:

Ugh, I made it to Champion's Road in 3D World. I blew about 25 lives in maybe 10 minutes, but I've solidified my route to the first star, at least. Made it to the second star once, and died after that hosed up bouncy ant wall jump section. I think you can cheese it and wall jump all the way in the back without being touched by the ants, but that may have been dumb luck. I don't even remember what I died to. Probably fell off the loving course again.

I've been trying with Rosalina. Her double jump makes a lot of things easier. I still haven't quite gotten there, but I can pretty flawlessly get to the section with all the boosters.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't like NSMBU that much, but then I don't like classic Mario games much. The only main series Mario games I really like are Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land/World. I grew up with a Genesis instead of an (S)NES, though. I appreciate their level design and controls, and they're technically good games, just not my cup of tea.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Ultigonio posted:

These opinions are not controversial, Kaubcocks*, they are just dumb, like you.

Seriously, even people who like Pikmin, there's gotta' be someone who can see how someone wouldn't like the games? Pace is too slow? Limit on daytime makes it difficult to explore freely? I dunno, I'm grasping, here.

*edit: I meant to type Kaubocks obviously but now that I have seen this typo, I refuse to change it.

I didn't finish it due to real life, but I do remember issues with the day length breaking up pacing on completing "big" objectives like bosses. A lot of times I had issues beating bosses AND getting the corpse back before time ran out. When I restarted I didn't have the issue the second time, but weird breaks in pacing might be expected on your first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I think the number one biggest issue with SS' controls is the ways enemies respond to your sword position. Even with your wrist, it's intuitive to hold your sword left and then swing right. The problem is, this is completely the wrong thing to do. What you actually want to do is hold your sword, say, up and flick the remote right from the up position. This causes the enemy to block up, but you to swing right.

I absolutely love Skyward Sword's controls, to the point that I legitimately wish more Zelda games would use it. But that single unintuitive problem I think accounts for the majority of peoples' issues with the controls. I shocked myself on the electric sword wielding bokoblins over and over until I figured out that piece of nonsense.

• Locked thread