Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mabels big day posted:

Let's not have joke suggestions. OoT, TP, SS only. Let's have Groose turn into an eagle and wield a crossbow.

Malon is in Ocarina of Time.

Also, why would Groose turn into an eagle and not, I dunno, a goose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyward Sword Zelda beating people up with the Wind Waker (and having it make the combat sound effects from TWW)? Sure why not, game looks cool as heck.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Wildtortilla posted:

What are mock balls in Super Metroid? I love that game but I've never heard that term.

Mockball is a method that lets you preserve running speed while in morph ball. While running at speed, you jump, and if you morph on the frame you touch the ground you will keep that speed.

It lets you get the Super Missile on the collapsing bridge at the beginning of Brinstar without the Speed Booster, which is an absolutely massive sequence break, and has a couple other important uses as well like early Ice Beam.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not worth it to clear each level 5 times. All you get is a stamp for each character you clear all courses with.

Just reach World Crown and beat those courses and call it a day, because that's enough of an achievement.

e: Also yeah good luck with Champion's Road, I think it's the toughest Mario level ever. Much harder than The Perfect Run or S8-Crown anyway.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The stars in Champion's Road are virtually unavoidable. The challenge is in simply clearing the stage.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel like, unless you're really committed to having physical copies of games, you should just get NES Remix 2 and be done with it. It really has a much better selection of games than 1. Plus, if you gotta have more, you can just go back to 1 afterward because the two games are pretty much functionally identical.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kaubocks posted:

I dunno, I'm only a few worlds into NSMBU but I feel like a lot of the star coins are just hidden behind walls that aren't really walls joke's on you good luck finding them.

Then there was a ghost house where the entire gimmick was "hit a p switch and now you can go through some walls because it turns out they weren't really walls just bricks but also we're not going to tell you which walls you can go through now" and I honestly had to look up a guide just to get to the exit.

This is what I dislike about NSMBU as well. The platforming is fine but finding the Star Coins is a nightmare because the hidden item placement is out of a Doom WAD from 1995.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bobnumerotres posted:

All the fuckery with going through screens and overworlds and such in Mario games each time you die is infuriating.

Learn from Rayman Origins/Legends, Nintendo. You have died- ZOOM back at level start. Hotline Miami also respawns you in a blink. I want that. Not 3D World's big red screen and TOK...TOK....TOK...TOK...Let's Go!

This seems really minor but Champion's Road :argh:

Uh clearly the appropriate comparison is Super Meat Boy. Splish! Your blood and guts still remain where you died, but other than that it's like a one-second downtime before you're back to the start.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Lives are actually kinda relevant if you're playing co-op with someone who's really horseshit at games in general. I was playing NSMBU with :siren:my girlfriend:siren: who's never played a Mario game in her life, and she would run out of lives in virtually every stage. So she has to sit there, frustrated, while I finish the level solo as fast as I can. Then she gets another installment of lives for the next level.

It turns out that NSMBU is actually really quite difficult for someone who is very new to platforming.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

japtor posted:

I think you share a pool of lives in 3D World so maybe co-op in that instead (and maybe start with farming lives for a few minutes).

I found that the lives do have a minor impact in multi cause if you're killing each other enough (need that crown dammit) the lives can run down quick, when the lives get low it's like a subtle reminder to actually work together at some point. Particularly for Plessie levels where your nephew is much too amused with sabotaging the group :argh:

I don't think you do pool lives, but I can't remember either way. 3D World was too difficult for her to really get used to anyway because of the extra axis of movement and the mechanics like the cat suit.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Superstar Saga and Partners in Time were fantastic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

You think Partners in Time was fantastic but you don't mention Bowser's Inside Story? I will loving fight you.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mario 3D World or Shovel Knight would fit the bill nicely, or NES Remix.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I just came here to post this ... eerie. Just completed the first observatory, did not expect to fight Mario Gear Excelsus :allears:. The game gets better than this?! And there's another one that's better still? And then 3D World is going to happen to me. Life is all right. :mario:

Whether or not Galaxy 2 is better than 1 is a little contentious. It's more difficult and more distilled platforming than the first game, so I like it a lot, but people dock it for not having quite the same feeling of adventure or something as Galaxy 1. Then 3D World is nothing but distilled platforming.

There are some games I wish I could play for my first time again and Galaxy 2 is one of them.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say here, but that's exactly what makes 3D World the best 3D Mario game, imo. It's just like 100 levels of Mario platforming.

I think Galaxy 2 is the best but it's basically a toss up. But yeah I really like both Galaxy 2 and 3D World because of the pure platforming. However, there is definitely a contingent of Mario fans that prefer 64/Sunshine/somewhat Galaxy 1 because the levels are more open and filled out, and are meant more for exploring and less about platforming.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

oddium posted:

Mario 64 is pretty good but Sunshine blows it away in everything except music. Better controls, better platforming, better objectives, better looks

Yeah collecting all those blue coins for 120 shines sure was fun and cool.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RadicalR posted:

The percentage, man! The percentage! He can't leave those coins uncollected! It messes with his OCD!

Well Sunshine is one of the few Mario games that I did not get 100% completion in because of the blue coins, they drag the game way down. And I pretty much always do full clears in Mario games because they have a lot of good, fun content that's worth doing. I just brought it up in response to the dude saying Sunshine blows 64 out of the water (which is utter nonsense for a lot of reasons, but that's one that came to mind right away).

pixaal posted:

Calling DOOM a bad FPS when the entire genre was called Doom Clone for the longest time is wrong. You do have to do a bit of research to fully appreciate what a game, movie, TV show, or book did.

Kind of a weird example here because Doom stood head-and-shoulders above all of its clones and competitors for several years, even at the time. (except for Marathon :colbert:)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 13, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
64 has some pretty good platforming, it's really only Sunshine that I think is weak in that regard (except for the secrets).

I mean, once you get past the first level set, most of the levels are pretty rife with hazards and traps to avoid. Lethal Lava Land was a stumbling block for 9-year-old me for a long time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

noirstronaut posted:

I don't think the level of influence a game inspired matters at all, really.

Eight worlds, and 3(?) after-game ones.

Four after-game worlds. Star, Mushroom, Flower, Crown.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kaubocks posted:

I really liked the aesthetic of... that poisony area with the piranha plants that snake along the ground. I forget what it was called. :shobon:

You're going to hate when you do the remix of this level in World Flower and you have to light all the torches. :cry:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

For the completionist in you, you also get to finish each level with every character so it'll feel even longer than 12 worlds! :v:

Does doing that get you a save file star actually?

Yeah, but that and a few stamps are all you get. Just get your 380 stars and be happy with that :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The games are basically the same. Galaxy 1 is less about raw platforming, but really if you liked 2 you will like 1 just as much.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That Captain Toad game looks like it's going to be a pretty neato time waster.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really liked the Shadow Mario levels in 3D Land, and I kind of missed them in World. They just add a lot of pressure to the levels.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

homeless snail posted:

It never bothered me much but if you aren't preparing for the usual midgame Zelda "now do it again" twist yeah its probably way more annoying.

:confused:

What are you talking about?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think he means that by the first three dungeons you will have explored the whole overworld already, and that temples are fun new content that usually means retreading to areas you've already explored and simply opening small extras to get to the temples.

So does the Dark World just not count?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bef posted:

100% completion of piranha plant jungle part 2 is no joke

Yeah I mentioned this one earlier too. It's Piranha Creeper Creek After Dark, and it loving sucks.

Once you hit, I dunno, World Castle, getting all green stars starts to get really remarkably difficult. Game for kids, is it?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Random Stranger posted:

Really guys? Checking my records, I can fly through that stage in 62 seconds and I'm not even that good at the game. It's not that hard.

Thanks for the input. :jerkbag:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Kin posted:

Actually, now that i think about it, have Nintendo ever done a Mirror mode for the 2D mario games?

NES Remix 2 comes with a mirrored Super Mario Bros where you play as Luigi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I hated SS's controls and I (kinda) had a grasp on how they actually worked. It just seemed really pointless. Even if I did have a firm grasp on the swordplay, it didn't actually make it a more fun Zelda experience.

Compare it to A Link Between Worlds, where fighting consisted of "mash the button until bad guy dies," but that game was so much better it's not even funny.

• Locked thread