Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bombadilillo posted:

They are coming, I saw a news story the other day about a 4k tv, completely independent of any video game talk. I dont know why you would buy it seeing as nothing supports that res yet. But they are starting to come out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57502521-221/sony-releases-first-4k-tv-the-84-inch-xbr-84x900/

By....SONY. :v: Jesus, you can't make this poo poo up.

Nintendo is gonna miss out on the lucrative $25000 TV market!!!!!

Seriously, they had to make the TV over 80" because your eyes literally cannot tell the difference between 4k and 1080p unless the screen is massive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Most of us will view using the gamepad in NSMBU's Boost Rush as baby mode. Sure It'll allow the player to add platforms to aide your fellow players, but I see it as a natural evolution of NSMBWii's Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers" style rear end in a top hat gameplay. I will be using it to wall off key points and place platforms right in a friend's trajectory so that they hit it instead of landing on it.

Is it confirmed that you can use the game pad to help in boost rush mode?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Agrias120 posted:

The utilization of the gamepad for the inventory felt forced to me and the way the camera on screen zooms in on your character prevented you from easily keeping track of your surroundings.

Kind of like how looking in a bag would in real life???

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The most mindboggling thing about the existence of the Wii was not re-manufacturing the Wavebird for the Wii and selling it. They would have easily made a profit, especially in the mid 2000s.

They did this, I thought? Or a third party did, at least.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Did anyone check out the footage of Conker's Twelve Tales for the N64?

They seem to be pretty far in development as an E for Everyone game.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/09/17/twelve-tales-conker-64-gameplay-surfaces.aspx

whoa I read this and thought I somehow time traveled without even realizing it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It doesn't matter how good a story is. A game is a game. The game and the story should be holding hands, be it seamless short real-time cutscenes (like in Half Life) or a story that you need to dig for yourself, and can choose to completely ignore (Demon/Dark souls, metroid prime).

loving hour long cutscenes of "YOU WERE THE LIGHTNING" and anime poo poo does not make a good game.

Some people like that stuff, though

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If the game is actually rendered in 720p, they would just be upscaling it to 1080p and it wouldn't really look that much better.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Maybe the Square tech demo does things that would be impossible to replicate, but... I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in a Square JRPG that had to be made at that fidelity... FF13 was already dogshit at HD fidelity, a next-gen FF would probably end up just being battles linked by cutscenes like Infinity Blade.

What are you talking about? Did you play the ps3 version of it? It looked fantastic. And I don't know what that final bit about Infinity Blade has to do with anything

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Policenaut posted:

I think it was supposed to go into the whole deal where Square-Enix said that doing FF13's visuals was so labor intensive that they couldn't do towns. Like if they keep progressing in that manner that FF15 and future titles could end up like that, or like Infinity Blade which is literally boss fights linked by a tiny bit of moving. I think they got around to implementing towns in FF13-2 though.

Yeah XIII-2 has a few hub cities, but honestly it doesn't look as good as XIII. It's an awesome game and I'm sure they could pull off something similar in future releases.

What if FFXV was... WiiU exclusive????

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Do people really play Final Fantasy games anymore because it's a game series you can trust for quality or is it really just because it's the best known brand name in RPG next to Dragon Quest?

You are definitely getting quality games in the mainline Final Fantasy series. Regardless of how you feel about Final Fantasy XIII, you have to admit that it is a well made game with high production values.

I personally liked XIII and will probably continue to buy Final Fantasy games unless they look abysmal or are an MMO.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Boijoina posted:

any word at all on a new fire emblem, I felt kind of gipped on the last one due to the fact it was a GCN game.

There have been four since Path of Radiance: Radiant Dawn, a Wii sequel to PoR; Shadow Dragon, a remake of the very first game; some game that was only released in Japan for DS I think; and Fire Emblem: Awakening, the new one for 3DS which is confirmed for an eventual US release.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Boijoina posted:

I was referring to radiant dawn being a ported GameCube title.

Ok but the last FE released in the US was Shadow Dragon for DS. Awakening is coming out for 3DS in NA next year.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sakurazuka posted:

American companies really need to move into the 21st century when it comes to broadband and download limits. They haven't been a thing here in the UK for a long time, unless you only have the super basic package or are regularly pulling down like 100GB a week (although Sky doesn't even seem to care then.)

There was an initiative to help bring high speed broadband internet infrastructure to everyone in the US, but it fell victim to our embarrassing political system

EDIT: England has way better internet from what I have heard because there is actual competition

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Liku posted:

PlayStation Plus does exactly as I described.

Because this system keeps that reward money locked on the WiiU rather in my bank where I can spend it on whatever I want?

That's exactly why they do this, they don't want you to spend that $5 on other stuff.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SMW's world map had areas with multiple entrances and exits that led to completely different areas that you would never see unless you found a specific exit in a specific level. Vanilla Dome had two branching exits, right? And everything flowed a lot more organically as opposed to NSMB's cookie-cutter :effort: world maps. Maybe they improved on SMW's map concept, we'll have to wait and see

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ok guys, you can put away all your fears about NSMBU now. The Forest of Illusion is back.

http://www.gamesradar.com/new-super-mario-bros-u-preview-8-ways-its-just-super-mario-world/

The game is basically New Super Mario World. Buy it if you weren't going to already.

EDIT: Here's a quote

quote:

The Forest of Illusion returns
NSMBU is the first Mario game ever to have a seamless, continuous world map, and that sprawling overworld is laid out similarly to the one in Super Mario World. The homages get much more overt in the shadowy midpoint of NSMBU’s fifth section. There you’ll find an extended riff on World’s Forest of Illusion, one of the trickier portions of that game. NSMBU’s forest has the same commitment to confusing the player with false exits and roads that go nowhere. NSMBU’s reference is made all the more direct by the fact that the screen pixelates when you enter the forest.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 4, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Last Story is also really good if you like games about mercenaries shooting the poo poo and getting drunk and killing lizard-people. There's a plot in there somewhere but eh

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

.TakaM posted:

Be sure to get both Mario Galaxys, and if you manage to find the Metroid Prime Trilogy you'd be a fool not to buy it, and maybe try out one of the Zeldas.

And if you can find Metroid Prime Trilogy for under $80, you're very lucky!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

flyboi posted:

The WBFS limitation was removed, FAT32 and NTFS both work now. Anyways, likely the reason behind this is much like how the internal hd works on PS3. I'm going to guess for security reasons the hard drive data will be entirely encrypted to a certificate unique to each console to reduce the risk of people snatching data off it.
I doubt the WiiU is gonna be compatible with FAT32 because of its ridiculously unnecessary file size limit of 2gb. I don't know anything about NTFS, however.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? Did you pull this out of your rear end? Full games will be downloadable, and games like Tekken Tag 2 are NOT 2 GB.

FAT32 has a file size limit of 2gb

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

No problem on a software level. Just split them up into multiple files.

I didn't know you could do this. Makes sense.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey with a Midnight launch you're basically guaranteed to get a ton of streetpasses if you have a 3DS!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wonder what the Nintendo World store is doing for the WiiU launch?

... Ok then.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm getting NSMBU and ZombiU with my Deluxe Bundle that comes with NintendoLand. I will be set for months.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The local game store I buy all my games from has the shittiest distributor ever who didn't get them their WiiUs in time for the launch :negative: I guess I'll have to wait a few extra days. Oddly enough, they were able to get most of the games for it, so maybe I'll pick my games up and pay the whole thing off tomorrow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got my WiiU set up and all my data from my Wii that I've had since launch transferred over. I had a scare when the transfer was 70% done and I got an error and had to unplug my system in order to reboot it, but it just resumed where it left off. I wish they had said somewhere that you can still play the VC/WiiWare games you already downloaded to the SD card, you don't have to like copy them to the system memory or re-download them onto the WiiU.

So far I've only messed around with the menus, but I absolutely love the interface. The Miiverse rocks, and I am amazed by the little pictures people have been leaving in notes. I can't wait to actually play a game!

PS Miis look weird in HD

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Flash is old technology that is (thankfully) dying out. HTML5 is basically better in every way.

On topic, someone said that when I registered my WiiU Deluxe Bundle, it would automatically register NintendoLand. But it didn't, and it doesn't come with a code. I want my coins, drat it!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZarquonHigardi posted:

I believe you'll get a survey in your to-do list about a week or so after completing the Wii U survey itself. At least, that's what I remember reading at the top when I did the survey...

I better still get the bonus coins :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

certain games require Wii Motion Plus, for example the Zelda game in NintendoLand. You're better off just getting all Wiimote+'s from now on. In fact, I think they're phasing regular Wiimotes out (finally)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There isn't a full-fledged Pokemon game on a console because Pokemon is and always has been about interacting with other people no matter where you are. It's portable so that you can easily trade or battle with your friends in person anywhere, or show them your Pokemon, or whatever. Making it on a console would take away the in-person battle/trade aspect, or at least make it more difficult/convoluted. That's why the series became popular, and why the main games will never leave the handheld platform.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xavier434 posted:

That could change considering the Wii U's various online features though right?
But it's not the same. 10-year-olds can't trade or battle Pokemon at lunch with their WiiU's.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Xavier434 posted:

That will be a bit of a loss but not enough to merit keeping the series handheld only I don't think. With that loss will come some new benefits after all. Also, those kids shouldn't be bringing their handhelds to school anyways. ;)
The current Pokemon games can do both in person and online trades/battles, plus the Nintendo Network is coming to the 3DS soon so you will be able to do most of the same social stuff on the 3DS as the WiiU. The only advantage to a WiiU game would be pretty graphics.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

absolutely anything posted:

You can play the handheld ones online too. :ssh:
Exactly. You can do all kinds of online stuff in the most recent Pokemon game, but if it were for a home console you'd lose out on the portability and stuff that has been a defining feature of the series.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm pretty sure I did something in system settings that changed the size of the picture, since the edges were being cut off in Miiverse. Lemme check...

EDIT: You can change it in Miiverse, at least! But I don't think it applies to anything else.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 30, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Minidust posted:

Does Wii Mode use a completely separate set of Miis from the main Wii U console? Or is there a way to port/send existing Miis somehow? I'm wondering if I should whip up a few Miis from scratch to use with Old Wii games.

You can import your Miis from Wii mode to the WiiU Mii Maker, yes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

bilperkins2 posted:

I think he means the other way around
I'm saying he can make some in the Wii's Mii Plaza to use with Wii games, and then send them to his WiiU Mii Maker.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gendo posted:

I'm glad I waited to get Scribblenauts on sale because it's getting a little stale. It's a super imaginative game in terms of what you can do, but even with a relatively open sandbox without really challenging puzzles there's only so much replay value to it.

I'm debating just trading it in towards Nintendoland. I wish more stuff was coming sooner but I knew this was where we'd be for a bit. Ah well.

Nintendoland has tons of replay value, it's totally worth it.

PS Your messages in NSMBU are the funniest ones

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

gently caress areas 9 and 10 in the DK game in Nintendoland. I somehow made it through Area 9 several times before I started dying repeatedly at it :psyduck: and Area 10 is just cruel because the second to last drop kills you for no reason :psypop:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The NA Nintendo Direct is tomorrow at 9am PST/noon EST and will announce release dates for upcoming games up until like mid 2013 or something. Good, I'm glad we will finally have something to look forward to!

Please announce Luigi's Mansion release date :ohdear:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Beat Yoshi's Fruit Cart finally, then replayed it because it was in double coin mode. Made it to gate 35, got foiled by rolling into a spicy chili plate at the wrong angle :argh: but I managed to get a ton of points, and 200 coins :woop:

EDIT: Can you get Stars for the multiplayer attractions? I mean the competitive ones, not the co-op ones (since those have levels you can beat, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can save any time once you've beaten it

• Locked thread