Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Got mine this morning from target without a reservation. The one I went to is in a mall and it looked like they had a number of systems left. Just finished the update after an hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Used $5 from my deluxe promotion to buy Assassin's Creed III. Only 16 hours to go!

:edit: Annnnd I didn't turn on the "Power down after finished" feature, so my console powered down after an hour! Welp! It's down to 6 hours! :suicide:

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 20, 2013

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I recently downloaded ACIII and it only took ~8 hours or so. It originally told me around 16, but it ended up flying through most of that. As for our other discussion, I hadn't had any hard locks for months until I started playing ACIII and now I've had 3 in a week. :|

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

TaurusOxford posted:

Of course take this with a grain of salt considering it's Kotaku, but still: http://kotaku.com/rumor-nintendo-wants-to-modify-the-wii-u-to-run-smartp-493098554

Is anyone else getting genuinely worried at this point?

I'm pretty sure this is a misunderstanding, and is actually a mixture of two things:

A. Nintendo recently saying something about how they're planning on supplementing their console with smartphone apps/social functions, like miiverse or facebook sharing of Animal Crossing photos.

and

B. Nintendo revealing the Nintendo Web Framework and the announcement that smartphone apps would be portable with a simple conversion program.

It's not Nintendo wanting to "modify the wii u" (whatever the gently caress that means) to run smartphone apps, as much as Nintendo realizing that people like apps and social functions and looking into ways to utilize them while still maintaining their position as a gaming company.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I'm really enjoying Tank! Tank! Tank! I bought the story mode, which is a series of increasingly more difficult encounters with b-movie-esque monsters. It has a nice sense of pregression since you both level up when you beat levels and gain new tanks. People have been complaining about the controls, but once you get passed the first tank things get better.

I'm really enjoying it. It's like a Dreamcast game in 2013, so I'm extremely happy for $10.

edit: also this was sent from my Wii U.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Anyone else pretty happy with their purchase after watching the XBOXONE reveal?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
What an amazing way to start this!

:edit: oh cool, RPG mode for mario golf?

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Anyone else think that Yoshi's new island has started to look a lot better? It used to be so awful, but the art style has largely come together.

:edit: with the comments sandwiching my post... apparently not.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Steel Diver FPS looks crazy. Rumors were that it was free 2 play. :edit: confirmed!

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
GOOD FEELING.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Why would they? Is not like they need to drum up hype for such a successful console or anything.

I have 3 Wiimotes. Anyone know if you can use those to play the Mario Golf they are offering on Club Nintendo with 2 players, or will I need a controller besides that? Does it have pass and play with the gamepad maybe?

Unfortunately Mario Golf is still considered a Wii Virtual Console game (not Wii U) and has to be played through the Wii channel. You'll need to use Wii classic controllers to control players 1 and 2 and the game will only display on the gamepad (not control with it). It's pretty dumb, but that's Nintendo sometimes.

Also, 39 minutes for the Smash Bros direct!? WHAT.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
We'll find out in a minute! I really hope they don't screw this up somehow.

Holy poo poo, this is amazing so far. Sakurai is hilarious.

VladimirLeninpest fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 8, 2014

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Is the Kirby GBA game on the eShop any good? I've been thinking about getting it, but I don't remember what people thought of it.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

We're approaching that time of year again! I'm a game or two short on platinum status for Club Nintendo so I figured I'd just fill in a few gaps that I had been meaning to. That Pikmin 2 with the new play control was pretty cheap the last time I looked so I'm sure it'll be a good...

:eek:

I somehow got really lucky at my local game store and got both Pikmin 1 and 2 new play control for $36. I don't know if it was a pricing mistake or what, because now they have a sign saying the trade-in value of each is $30.

I played through 1 and while it's pretty good, it's nowhere near as polished as 3, so keep that in mind. I still recommend it, but keep your expectations lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Skyward Sword doesn't actually use the sensor bar, everything is gyro-based, including pointing.

I wish this meme would loving die because it comes up constantly and it's completely wrong. It uses the sensor bar to recalibrate pretty frequently and the game is much worse without it. I wonder how many people hated the controls because of this shoddy advice.

• Locked thread