Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
This looks pretty neat, sort of a spiritual opposite to Starbound which evolves the Terraria formula, whereas this goes in a different direction and puts it into a 3D world. I really hope they'll try to get this on Steam, I can't imagine they'd have any trouble going through Greenlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm enjoying it so far, and it seems like a very strong template for adding new content onto, like dungeons with raid bosses, PvP stuff, etc. For now it's pretty fun, just talk to town NPCs and they'll generally tell you about places you can go or stuff you can do.

Also, talking to an innkeeper sets the time to 07:00, which is why you get that loud chime.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I ran into a wizard using that death-laser attack. Holy gently caress, someone must have really fudged some damage numbers on that thing. :catstare:

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
A couple helpful tips:

- You can pan the map around with middle-mouse button, this'll help you find other people far away in a server
- Everyone in a server no matter where they are gets quest XP, just sitting around in a server will pretty much power-level you

Also, I'd really recommend dumping points into hang-gliding after you've got your basic abilities. It's incredibly fun, especially with the Mage's teleport.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
You can find some really amazing biomes out in the ocean!

I got on top of this ginormous tree.

Then found some pretty impressive mountains.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm not sure what you could really add because you're inevitably going to get to the point of diminishing returns (on populated multiplayer servers at least, trying to make any progress single-player would just be a boring meatgrinder) where you've put 200 points in everything and now there's virtually no point to leveling up or finding better gear other than killing same-y enemies 0.1% faster or getting around the obnoxiously massive world at a slightly less sluggish pace.

I recall they did tease having building cards that would theoretically allow you to build your own towns (hopefully with teleporters because if I hadn't made it clear already, it's really goddamn boring having to spend 2 hours flying in a straight line to get somewhere), but even then that doesn't solve the issue of players running out of things to do because just killing mobs is ostensibly all there is anyway. They could add random events or more involved boss mobs, but they probably wouldn't maintain their appeal for longer than a few hours.

To play devil's advocate, I can't blame the guy for seeing that there was some real hype for the game and cashing out, but I wish he would have at least used that money to immediately start expanding the game and turning it into something as big as Minecraft or Terraria. It's a lot of missed potential if he really has just dropped off the face of the earth.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Neruz posted:

What is it with Indie devs and pulling Toadys; vanishing for large periods of time and then suddenly reappearing looking all innocent and holding a new version of the game and wondering why everyone is so upset.

They might be the types of people who largely stay away from online communities for one reason or another, and stopped bothering to look in their inbox due to the flood of hate mail. For all we know, they only just found out that there's been a major concern among the games' playerbase about a lack of feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Trying to show off your game to people through popular Internet channels is literally The Most Despicable Thing™ you can possibly do.

• Locked thread