Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I have to say shots fired is seriously my new must listen to show. As a big hip hop fan it's cool to listen to a show that gets into the more absurd aspects of it. I also saw Jeff Weiss had an article in la weekly about the chronic and thought it was a pretty good article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I'm sure they're just busy on their respective shows. Sean co-write like half of last season's episodes of Workaholics so he probably got bumped up to co-producer or something now. Especially with the show being renewed for two seasons and the four leads being super busy, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the #2 guy in the writer's room now. And Hayes is writing on the last season of Eastbound and Down.

Did you not read? It was butt surgery!

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GraPar posted:

Great episode of I4H, John Gemberling is absolutely hilarious in almost every sketch, incredible work. Carnival barker character and angry wheelchair royal killed me: "I think we should call it Her Majesty's oval office"

Fogelnest has Fallon on today, good episode - not that funny but some really good stories, mostly involving Horatio Sanz.

And not podcast-related, but involving a bunch of Earwolfy people: Paul Scheer put up a bunch of Arsheerio Paul Show episodes yesterday, possibly most notably one with June as Andrew Dice Clay. It's nuts.

Is it weird that I'm kind of into June dressing like Dice?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Wasn't it gawker who tried to stir poo poo up with Scott aukerman as well by saying he made a sexist tweet or some poo poo? Does someone at gawker just hate alternative comedy?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Riptor posted:

I think it was Buzzfeed, actually

The Internet is garbage.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
That sucks. Shots fired is one of my favorite podcasts. I hope they keep it going even without earwolf.

There was an episode a few weeks ago where they were talking about the popularity of running trains on girls in the 90's and how weird it was. I was laughing so goddamn hard.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Yannick_B posted:

Hope they can have more of a story beast as a guest next time.

I disagree. Joke hounds are the unsung heroes in bussin people up.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
All I'm sayin is that those guys bus me up and I usually laugh my whole butt off.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Poopy Palpy posted:

Hollywood Handbook can't get canceled. If it ends it will be because Hayes and Sean have shared everything there is to know about kicking butt and dropping names in the red carpet lined back hallways of the industry they call showbiz, and all of us in the popcorn gallery have jobs making all of the movies and TV.

I mean unless you live in one of those backwards loving flyover states.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

barkingclam posted:

I had the same reaction, it's the first time in a while I've bailed on a podcast after maybe ten minutes, he just came off like an idiot. I don't mind it without Kulap - last week's Two Charted about the second studio was a fun listen - but the Lawrence episode was awful.

Really? I haven't listened to his episode so I wouldn't know but I have seen him do stand up live a few times and he was really funny every time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

jakefogelnest posted:

I will have this website shut down by morning mark my words, trash

Can I still get some cool rear end jean? ???

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

a worthy uhh posted:

My girlfriend is literally afraid of Todd Glass after we saw him do standup. There were two shithead girls in the front row, talking and texting the whole time, and Todd got real mad and snatched the girl's phone, tossed it to a different table, and then had them kicked out.

It was super uncomfortable and kinda ruined Todd for me. :ohdear:

That actually sounds really great to me. Lot's of comedians do this though why would this ruin Todd for you?

Todd Glass is great though. I think his stand up can be legit brilliant at times, but I love him even more because I think he might be an actual moron. Like he is so dumb and loveable on every podcast I hear him on. He seems to lack self awareness as well which is why I love when Scott makes fun of him because it takes Todd a while to realize that Scott is just loving with him.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I stopped listening when Hayes didn't even know the difference between an offer only deal and a holding deal. Like are you loving serious?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

rapeface posted:

Put me down for someone that doesn't get the massive love for Hollywood Handbook too. I checked it out after all the recommendations here, but it's mostly just okay for me.

Are you from some loving flyover state where you work at a sludge factory? This podcast is for true Hollywood insiders.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I'd rather listen to totally lame than holly wood hand book. I'm sorry everyone.

As long as you admit that you have taste.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Eltoasto posted:

Adam please let Scott have Gelman back on the podcast. I know he wants to have him back but that old sourpuss Jeff Ulrich banned him.

Also Hi, on a serious note I love the work y'all are doing

Sourpuss list so far

1. Jeff Ulrich
2. Brian Eno

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I think it was actually cool and good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MY ABACUS! posted:

Does anyone listen to Maltin on Movies? I eventually gave up on it despite enjoying Maltin himself because the co-host was so boring and only agreed with everything. Just wondering if it ever got any better.

I was enjoying the first 10 episodes or so, but then I realized that they never really said anything that interesting about the movies. Every once in a while there might be an ok point, but it never really went any deeper than this was a cool movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I noticed that Sean is a producer on the new TV show, The Grinder. It's pretty funny. I guess pilot season went better than expected.

I noticed Hayes wrote last week's episode of family guy too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Drunkboxer posted:

The best part was when he was just reading that Sam Mendes articles and seemed surprised how over-the-top hollywood bullshitty it already was.

"You’re trying to surf the big wave, so be prepared to be wiped out — but when you catch it, it feels like nothing else."

Well that's just some loving good advice right there.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Every time Sean and Hayes are sincere they come off as really genuine decent guys.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Whiplash is fantastic.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When did an engineer walk out during a show? I've never heard about that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Illinois Smith posted:

Nah, thanks. I'll just stick to the new Gelman / Jason Woliner special that airs tomorrow, the first two Dinner /w Brett Gelman & ________ were fantastic.

I went to the premiere of it in LA the other night and it was really good. I think it's their best one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Speaking of can anyone tell me why Katie Couric has a podcast on the alt comedy network? And why her last episode was with loving Frank Luntz? Who is that podcast even for?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

It seems like a race (maybe against nobody) to wrap up the political scene (comedy and otherwise) before it continues to get too bloated. I made a post earlier about it but Earwolf now has four politics based shows (2 comedy, 2 serious). If they can get their hooks in now while the political scene is a complete clownshow and popular, it's a good future investment. Earwolf/Midroll snagging major brands (Bill Simmons, Katie Couric, etc.) from non-comedy scenes makes them a better investment and/or better positioned to survive the inevitable crash between when Lootcrate and its ilk die off and major companies get involved in non-ESPN advertising.

It's just confusing to me because I feel like the demographic who listens to comedy bang bang and HDTGM really wouldn't be in the same boat as people who want to listen to that lady who hosted the today show and a republican strategist who is partly responsible for the lovely state of our politics.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
But what audience is Couric for? She isn't really that respected of a journalist so I don't see her bringing in the news junkie npr crowd. She's well known but I feel like her celebrity passed a while ago. Who are they targeting with her?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea if you don't think, as a pure 'what looks good to investors and poo poo' thing Couric and Gregory have tons more weight behind them than the Digcast I don't know what to say.

It's stupid, but yea if Earwolf is trying to genuinely 'go mainstream' or whatever and be the internet NPR then yea, they need names like that behind them.

But again is Couric really a big name for the NPR news junkie crowd? Especially for podcasts where I imagine the age group who are interested in Couric probably aren't that interested in podcasts.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Any sliver they can get of the 99.99999% of the potential audience that aren't alt-comedy fans. It's not like they're going to lose those listeners just because they gave Katie Couric and David Gregory their own talk shows.

Yeah I understand that. It's just kind of weird. I don't think it means they are going to stop giving us good stuff from comedians and things like that. It's just that weird corporate mindset.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at them just to support the stuff I like, but I'm definitely not supporting the production of content I don't want to listen to. Not only that but the lack of new content is definitely not helping... producing things advertisers like isn't making me want to fund that poo poo.

Yeah it gets weird on the cracked podcast where they will do a special episode with a venture capitalist, or the CEO of General Motors.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Honestly if HH ends. I will stop listening to all podcasts, because it will be an unfair tragedy upon our horrible earth.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Is hard nation any good? I keep seeing good guests pop up and a non serious political podcast sounds decent.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite part of HH is that they never seem to tell guests what their show actually is and if they don't get it they seem to just make is more weird and obtuse for the guest.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I can't wait to hear What Sean and Hayes think about little weigs cuck fetish.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I straight up don't understand comedy festivals. I live in LA and I never even entertain going. I feel like comedy doesn't work in a festival setting. Give me a 10 dollar comedy show in a small tiny bar that's all I need.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I saw Jimmy Pardo at Barnes and Noble today with his wife and kid. I didn't want to bother him but it was just weird to see out of a comedy context.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

MisterBibs posted:

This might just be the way I listen to podcasts, but is "check out all the other shows on X Network" really work for anyone? I'm not browsing the Maximum Fun network for other shows because they carry The Greatest Generation, nor do I look at the Slideshow network because I listen to We Hate Movies.

I mean if I like a few shows on a podcast network I'll be more likely to check out a new show on their network but really I'm not loyal to any podcasting network.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Alt right Paul Giamatti cracks me the gently caress up on chapo trap house.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I never found Graham Elwood funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

JohnnyC posted:

Also there's a lot of bad pods on Earwolf now imo. The Chris Gethard dreams one is funny at least. If Hollywood Handbook stops i might cancel my subscription and just wait for the inevitable illegal MEGA archive

You mean you're not into a Hamilton podcast?