Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

feedmyleg posted:

Then you must have loved the 20 episodes centered around his love for the trumpet guy.

I actually did like it until he called him in to give advice. It seemed like he was just having him on to spite the people who didn't like him as much as Besser thought they should.

Besser has this attitude about his own opinions that I just plain don't like, and hearing those opinions met with confusion, or better yet negativity or silence, is a pretty decent source of entertainment for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

feedmyleg posted:

Just your regular reminder that relistening to Kiss Me, I'm Patrick McMahon will fill your heart with joy.

Every now and then when I'm feeling down, I'll look up Saint Seamus on YouTube. It's seriously one of my favorite bits ever.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

feedmyleg posted:

I feel like Spontaneanation has really hit its stride the past month or two. The narratives are much more coherent, and the sound effects finally feel well utilized. They're acting kind of like Family Guy cutaways these days, but plot-driven rather than hacky gag-driven.

I honestly think it all changed when the proper sound board was built. Having a physical thing to press instead of having to press a thing on a screen makes a big difference, and now that the main players are set with how the buttons all work, everything flows a bit better.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
He doesn't need to explain it to you guys. It should be self evident to anyone with half a brain, obviously.

e: I still laugh at that live show bit where they played a clip from a pretty reasonable Bernie supporter, and Besser is like "Can you loving believe this guy? What the gently caress?", and the audience doesn't react at all.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Guys please note that I never said I don't like Hillary.

I'm not trying to put forth any sort of Hillary hate here on anything. I honestly don't have a strong opinion on her one way or the other. I just think Besser's obsession and assumption that everyone thinks the same as him is funny.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Not Operator posted:

It was back during the video podcast network days, and my only clear memory of it is an uncomfortable Lauren Lapkus side-staring at the camera like she's doing a guest spot on The Office.

Was that the time that he suggest that it'd be OK if he had his pants down, hands in the air, and peanut butter on his dick, since the dog wouldn't necessarily be performing a sex act since he's just eating peanut butter? Because that's probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a thing in my life, and I might have to watch that again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Alright, well, you've convinced me. I'm going to listen to an episode of High and Mighty. Gemberling genuinely fascinates me with how hosed up he can be sometimes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ibntumart posted:

Bill Burr had the right reaction to those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNe1i20yA4c&t=71s

This is seriously one of my favorite ad reads ever. The only one better is for an even stupid product, then Man Grate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

VPN was an Earwolf jam, right? This belongs here.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Work Friend Keven posted:

The worst parts of any podcast, from most to least:
1. If they have an engineer or tech guy and there's a part of the show where he talks. (Bret and Cody excluded, of course)
2. Any call in segment for any reason.
3. mail bag
4. Any time a LA pod cast has a New York Standup as a guest.
5. Live music

So, any non-suggestion, non-intern interview part on I4H.

e: I still think the worst is where Besser had that month or two where he was obsessed with the trumpet guy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
If the guests are right, and the musicians don't give a poo poo about you making fun of something in their song, then music episodes aren't too bad. It only gets bad when Besser has them play a song for every scene, which I don't think he's done the last few. Constantly asking what lyrics mean isn't particularly productive, and the guy on the most recent one who was like "It's just a song about being high at the Casa Mañana" was the best.

I just wish he would get more than just mopey alt-country guys.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Drunkboxer posted:

You're crying!

Please, step down from the table! Don't get so worked up!

e: I feel like Time Keeper's quiet "I'll get off the table" from his first or second appearance sent Scott down a real bad path with forcing this upon people. Not like he wasn't doing it before, but he seemed to turn it up a bit after that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
It kind of reminds me of the reports I heard from Howl users. Content is good, service is bad, app is sort of difficult to navigate. I guess maybe I'm too used to Netflix and Hulu's streamlining, but Seeso's menu system always seemed a bit obtuse for me.

So far, I've only used it to watch MBMBaM and Harmonquest, so I'll probably have to get around to watching Bajillion soon before the site goes away.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
To be fair to them, I'm not sure how much of that is in their hands. They probably have the right to distribute their own content however they see fit, but because it had things like Kids in the Hall and Monty Python on it, they probably really had their hands tied as to what regions they could be available in without having different sites dedicated to different regions. Which why would they if they didn't know if it would succeed?

e: Not saying it's necessarily right, just that they're not necessarily purposefully being dicks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Riptor posted:

I signed up for seeso, added the app to my amazon fire tv thing, watched one episode of mbmbam, then after that nothing else would load on their stupid app. Not even after reinstalling

The app is very bad, and the browser player isn't really much better. It took me way longer to get through Harmonquest than it should've because it just wouldn't play a few episodes when I tried the first time. I'd come back a few hours later to try again, and get an episode or 2 in before it decided to stop working again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I hadn't heard of Feral before, and it seems pretty cool. Seems like what Earwolf was intended to be/used to be. Like, I can't believe I just found out that there's a podcast hosted by Pete & Pete. I'd imagine there's a bit more freedom there since it seems like a good number of the shows are entirely creator produced.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Mr. Squishy posted:

He didn't get on w/ Eric Ulrich and I think had the same objection to the standard contract Earwolf uses that Cyberthug had (whose actual name I forget). Namely that any characters created on the show were then owned by Earwolf. It's why their tagline as a studio is "Artist owned, listener supported".

Isn't Artist Owned, Listener Supported the MaxFun tagline?

And yeah, I remember the Earwolf character thing being mentioned before, and that's why some shows either left or avoided them entirely. It's probably why Spont and I4H work so well on there, since nothing is a recurring character on those shows.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
There's a free episode up on Seeso's YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkE9HKv5V0
Check it out.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

piratepilates posted:

So Kulap had an interview on SCPR about Bajillion and that documentary that's never coming out

https://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2017/06/21/57526/bajillion-dollar-properties-showrunner-kulap-vilay/

But the other weird thing mentioned in it was that apparently she got pregnant and miscarried a few years ago. I remember people, I think in these forums, speculating that the two of them were having issues trying to conceive based off of something that Scott or Kulap was saying on podcasts. Guess it's confirmed :(

I... Uhhh... Think Scott very passively made a joke about this, and I honestly can't remember what bit it was during. He very sheepishly says that he and his wife are trying, and failing, to conceive, and he's talked right over by whatever character is on. I can't believe that was real.

e: Might've been during Jack S'Junior/Brian Pieces when they asked whether he had a family. Could arguable have been a joke that long ago, I guess, but still.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 22, 2017

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I guess I haven't listened to episodes in a bit, but when did Spont change up the suggestions from guest to Twitter?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I stopped listening to I4H regularly after the, like, 3rd or 4th time he had that trumpet yelling guy on, and then I think had a Case Closed in the same episode, or for a majority of the next or something. So much of the show became filled with stuff that wasn't improv that I couldn't be bothered anymore. And I'm a guy who didn't mind the music episodes.

This is probably my 2nd favorite after the Atlantis one.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Unmerciful posted:

You can get a year of stitcher premium for 90% off with code BATOUR apparently. I just signed up for $3.50 and it says I'm good through August 2018 with the free month up front. Seems like a pretty desperate move on their part but I'm not complaining..

Worked for me, too. Neato.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tacier posted:

I feel stupid, but does anyone know how to access the Hollywood Handbook UCB live ep with Kumail Nanjiani? I have Stitcher Premium but can't find it on their website. It's on howl.fm here: http://howl.fm/audio/46671/hollywood-handbook, but apparently I don't have access to howl content. I thought howl.fm and stitcher were basically the same subscription service?

It's not under Hollywood Handbook, it's under UCB Live.
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stitcher-premium/live-at-ucb/e/50323362

e: Here's the general Live at UCB page on there, also.
http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/stitcher-premium/live-at-ucb

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

mennoknight posted:

It's all about that 3rd party app and RSS feed baby

I also would like to know this. If I could get my Stitcher stuff working with my old app, that'd be perfect. The Stitcher app is hot garbage.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
How do you think Mantzoukas feels about Hey Nong Man? Do you think he hates it? Or do you think people respect his wishes of "Just say it and move on"?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Does he ever travel around out-of-character? Has anyone actually seen Jeffrey Characterwheaties on the street?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Rookie mistake. Only talk to Tim Kalpakis about his big, square head.

I was literally about to post this. It's probably the biggest, squarest head I've ever seen on a real person. It's fascinating.

Also, I'd like to ask him about books that he's read, as I hear he's a real book guy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Tarranon posted:

That's funny, spont lost me when they cut the improv down to like fifteen minutes. I really enjoyed how insane the longer ones got, especially science fair and miami...and anything else with blasucc

See, your 2nd point was my thing with Spont. There are a small handful of people that are absolutely excellent on the show, like Blasucc, Amanda Lund, Little Janet Varney, Colleen Smi, etc... and there was no consistency to the genuinely good people appearing. I listened for the first time in about a month this week because of Blasucc and Lund, and I don't think I've laughed as hard at anything in the show as at the conversation about dreams, and the improv itself wasn't bad, but probably could've used a 4th. Spont's still one of my top podcasts, but it falls back in priority now that I don't have a free hour every day to dedicate to them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I've heard this podcast is good but there's no podcast on earth that's five dollars worth of good. So I'll checkout "the teachers lounge, season 1."

Guess you missed out on that "Get a year of Stitcher Premium for a dollar" coupon, AKA: "The Only Way I Will Ever Pay for Stitcher Premium" since the app is very bad.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I forgot it was $3.50 and not $1, but I was only ever billed the once, and I'm still able to access the premium content, as far as I can tell.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Someone complimented an Earwolf show. The lure has been cast. Keven will make his way to the thread in due time. It's all about patience.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Didn't way back someone have to read copy for Draft Kings when they had a serious problem w/ people gambling?

I remember PFT being almost actively confrontational to the idea of Loot Crate, and I think he might've also had a problem with Draft Kings.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ArtVandelay posted:

It's absolutely incredible. Andre Braugher is an absolute comedic treasure, and I don't think anyone ever saw that coming.

Seriously, watch it pretty much only for Andre Braugher. The whole show is pretty good, but he is absolutely the best thing about it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Seaniqua posted:

I'd just heard that Brooklyn 99 got better in later seasons. I don't watch it, I was just saying that Fox might let Ghosted stick around even if the early episodes aren't great.

B99 is like Shur's other shows in that it takes about 5 episodes for it to get any good. It's worth checking out if you can put up with Samberg's early bad character work.

Ghosted seems like it might be OK, because it's got Scott (2) and Craig Robinson in it, so unless it's expensive to make, it's probably going to get a decent chance to show itself off.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I haven't listened to Raised by TV yet, but the shining star of UTU2TM is, was, and forever shall be Oliver Subpodcasts.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I used to have a job where I got an hour for lunch, and people would ask me where I got time to listen to so many podcasts. I'd be confused because "it's only an hour what are you talking about"? I now have only a half an hour, and I don't even get it to myself, so now I understand.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Mr. Squishy posted:

This t-shirt thing is for sure sustainable.

Is that a t-shirt? Can we make that a t-shirt?

Also, I tried to listen to the 2nd episode of Raised by TV, since I know more cartoons from that time than I do sitcoms, and from the start is was basically them just listening to and singing cartoon theme songs. I turned it off once Lapkus started singing the Tiny Toons theme. Does it get better from there, or should I just not bother?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Analytic Engine posted:

I love raised by TV, but I was an ADHD kid who watched 4-8 hours every weekday and remembered+repeated tons of specific details. If you don’t get a small physical rush hearing them “oh-my-god-do-you-remember” about tangential topics then this podcast will make no sense.

I also watched a shitload of TV, and specifically cartoons, and could not make it more than a few minutes into their episode about cartoons. They just started listening to and singing theme songs. Like, I knew the songs and the words and all, but hearing Lapkus sing them wasn't really entertaining. Maybe it got better later, but I really couldn't listen to it anymore.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Help Im Alive posted:

Apparently Stitcher is doing like an official Wolverine mini series thing with Marvel

https://www.wolverinepodcast.com/

hope they have PFT on

I think PFT's said his favorite character is Uatu the Watcher, so if he ever needs to intercede for some reason, I'm sure PFT would love to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn’t they stitcher app get a major ‘we know it’s really bad, sorry’ update recently? I don’t use it often enough to remember.

If it did, I haven't noticed. It's still very bad. I think this will be the time that I actually remember to update my phone to use the RSS feeds.