Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It appears that Bonanas archives will not transfer over right away according to that chart. So that will live on Stitcher still for right now. Hope it does before my year runs out as I listen to those eps randomly quite often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Help Im Alive posted:

It's just the mailbag episodes that are stitcher exclusive though right? I think the main ones are all available on the earwolf site but maybe with ads

Well Bonusnanzas is really just as good, if not better, than Bonanas.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Scott posted this in the Reddit thread regarding why he did this and what prompted him to do it. Seems like his head is in the right place.

Scott Aukerman posted:

A little background about how this all came about :

Last year, during the pandemic, when Shaun Diston and I did the TMNT show, I really enjoyed it, and wanted to sort of replicate the experience with other guests of the show. So basically I wanted to give them an opportunity to do their own shows, for good money, that could be "helped" by being under the CBB banner.

When my previous Earwolf contract wrapped up earlier in the year, I pitched as part of my new deal a separate "CBB Presents" show in addition to the regular CBB, but it started to get very complicated, as no one (including me) was sure we could sell ads for it. The great thing about being with a podcast network these days is, if you have the audience, you can get paid to do the show through ads. But with so many podcasts out there now, for new things, it can be very difficult to get that audience.

And so the various combos of Stitcher Premium/Ad supported were discussed, and we all tried to figure it out. But the more I talked to performers about it, people seemed to miss the freedom of just being able to put out things without pitching it, or worrying about windowing, and all the details involved in that. And since my previous deal had reverted all of the CBB masters back to me, I felt like this was a good time to leverage the popularity of those to start something that would give people freedom to do whatever they want.

When we discussed it, Colin and the good people at Earwolf were great about giving me an opportunity to both remain there for the weekly, ad-supported show, but also allow me to do these other things. And they've been great about reverting other people's masters back to them, especially for old shows that we put out back in the days when no one was selling ads, and we were all just goofing around and having fun.

So with the shows that are coming over, we're paying people to do them -- and paying them well, with incentives if they do GREAT. The CBB Presents episodes will give CBB performers an opportunity to do however many episodes they have the bandwidth for. Some people can't get it together to do more than one. And then there'll be other people who like to do something more regularly. Being under the CBB Presents banner means there can be variety for however many people feel like doing. And if they're popular enough, and people want to continue, maybe it spins off into their own regular show.

So that's what we're doing -- it's kind of a financial risk for me, since the CBB Archives were making a good amount of money being on Stitcher Preem, and we have no idea how many subs we'll get. But our hope is that enough people sign up that we can build a lot more content. I can tell you that if, Friday, our numbers go through the roof, I'll start immediately making calls to people to make more stuff. The idea is not that people subscribe and we sit back and count the money -- it's that the more people subscribe, the more stuff we make.

As far as what that means for you -- the concept of "CBB World" is basically things that have spun off or out of CBB. We're aiming for a more curated experience, so that you don't have to sift through a bunch of stuff to find or even hear about something. We can highlight it for you.

Does that mean that something like "Going Deep" couldn't be on because the character didn't originate on CBB? No, I think people like the performers who are regularly on CBB so much that they would be able to do whatever they want and you'd be interested in at least checking it out.

Okay, so that's where we're at! Forgive me if I haven't explained it exactly right, but that's the gist (I'm currently typing in between things I'm doing for my other jobs).

GoutPatrol posted:

Disappointing but Adam Scott is the star so they locked down on that.

He also posted this about that Hollywood bigshot.

Scott Aukerman posted:

Adam has wanted the most people possible to be able to listen to the show (even though they don't), and that means a free, ad-supported show. He and I have turned down various offers of money to window it or have it be behind a paywall. And he can afford to do that because he's a hot Hollywood actor ("Torque"). So Earwolf has been nice about producing that show despite it not selling very many ads.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JethroMcB posted:

It's somebody with the established audience and resources necessary to create their own subscription service and circumvent Patreon taking a cut.

Personally I think this sounds great, it's like a quarter an episode for a year's worth of content (assuming they actually stick to a 5 shows a week schedule.) Here's hoping Friday surpasses expectations and Scott can start making those calls to line up even more talent.

They're using Memberful. Patreon owns Memberful. It's the same thing Off Book uses. It just allows them to distribute and display it on their own site their own way without using the Patreon site which is pretty rigid in how it works and distributes content. I believe Big Grande uses it as well.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 29, 2021

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Besson posted:

Speaking of old school earwolf, does anyone know where I can find all of Gelmania? I can only find Part IV on Spotify.

I think when he got the rights back he like re-edited them somehow. It's been a while since I read about it. The original website for it was freedownloads.xxx, I poo poo you not. But that was like seven or eight years ago so I would not try that link now.

EDIT: The direct download zip still works. How about that.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170423011920/http://www.freedownloads.xxx/

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

feedmyleg posted:

At this point I'm wondering, is there anyone that's not true for?

I haven't cancelled but two years in a row they've double charged me but after I emailed them they refunded both charges. So I've effectively had it two years free without cancelling.