Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Man, I know that Matt Besser is a big fan of Howard Stern, but these Eric the Intern episodes can be infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Glitterbomber posted:

Man I like the new Improv4Humans and all but Besser is insufferable when he goes on his "UGH I HATE SEEING PEOPLE SAY HUG YOUR KIDS THAT'S SO STUPID" rants. Can someone explain to him that other people don't have trouble with empathy like he does or something?

Like, 90% hilarious, but goddamn that's one of the most grating personality flaws to me.

I think you misunderstood him a bit; he was mad at people whose response to the massacre ended with hugging their kids, as if gun violence is some unstoppable fact of life that can strike us down if we're in the wrong place at the wrong time. It felt like he wanted people to confront the issue directly, rather than sending thoughts/prayers/hugs that may make us feel better temporarily, but won't do jack about the underlying problem.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

I broke down and listened to the Bestiality Debate I4H show. All I can say is what the gently caress John Gemberling?!

He seemed to have legitimately pissed off Lauren by the end of the show.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Anyone catch the Two Broke Girls episode of Yo, Is This Racist? I understand the writer couldn't necessarily bash the show he works on, but "we have to make jokes based on tired stereotypes because our dumbass audience loves it" strikes me as pretty disingenuous.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

yeah its a weak rear end cop out. Is that episode the one Matt Besser called out on i4H?

What exactly did Besser say? I'm caught up on I4H but I don't remember anything like that.

I just remembered the writer was also trying to justify the Chinese character's hilarious accent by bringing up the fact that he's an immigrant. The guy is fictional, and the actor has an American accent; couldn't they have just written him differently?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

That new Dads show is even worse because it's straight-up selling itself as a racist jokes sitcom. Apparently when the Japanese tsunami happened in 2011, one of the show's co-creators was all "heh revenge for Pearl Harbor" on Twitter.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 25, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Can someone provide the episode/timecode with Matt's argument?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thanks! I completely missed this somehow.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Is Yo, Is This Racist? on hiatus?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I hate to be a dick, but someone needs to slap Andrew Ti's hand with a ruler whenever his voice goes up eight octaves for the sake of humor or whatever -- it's a weird linguistic crutch/tick and he's been doing it a LOT in recent episodes.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

They also have a bigger role in that weird rear end pilot filmed in front of a live audience

I watched the pilot, and was so happy they decided to go with single-camera, no laughtrack. Comedy just seems more confident that way. I love Mr. Show, but it's painful to watch their best bits die in front of a bored audience.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

UP AND ADAM posted:

Dredging up ol Lewsinky last week was pretty lame, and the criticism directed at her has always seemed pretty shallow and vicious, to me, since her whole thing started. I am not eager to listen to Matt rationalize this behavior; I'd much rather hear him debate someone on a topic related to comedy, but I think they may have already done one on that on another episode. Most of the rest have been some moral or semantic issue that he is either not right about or not thinking enough about, and isn't funny.

The Monica Lewinsky hate bordered on slut shaming, which was pretty disappointing to hear on one of my favorite podcasts.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Like I said, you couldn't pay me to listen to those two loud idiots have a fake argument about a concept (the American canon), especially when WolfPop debuted funny and charming Maltin on Movies the same day.

I didn't really click with Maltin on Movies because he's a bit too genial and superficial with his film analysis. That's kind of his gimmick, but it's not for me.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I'm just now catching up to the latest episodes of I4H but it's pretty obvious that Matt Besser doesn't know what the word censorship means right? Those sun kill moon arguments are among the dumbest things I've heard. He both says that the market will decide and people won't buy stuff if a person is truly hateful but it's also censoring the artist if you decide you're no longer a fan of them

I'm also catching up with a few months of I4H, and that episode had me saying "C'mon, Matt" out loud several times. He's smart enough to know that "Equal Opportunity Offender" stuff is nonsense, and the whole "punching up/down" thing is completely tied to your identity in relation to the power of the group you're poking fun of. It's the same old story of the guy who's most upset about censorship being the one who actually wants to silence people.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Eight Dollars posted:

I'm doing the exact same thing and just got to the Case Closed on Sun Kil Moon myself. All the Case Closeds kind of take the momentum out of the episodes for me, even more than the musical guests do. You've got Andy Daly there! Why are we spending so much time on half-assed arguments from internet people about issues that are not going to be resolved in that dumb segment? It'd be different if they all were small dumb stuff about milk or whatever so Besser could play up his irritable grump, but you can tell he actually has strong feelings about artists being repressed or whatever.

I honestly don't mind when Besser has a legitimate bone to pick, but comedians can't stop whining whenever they're taken to task for lazy, hack jokes. He even contradicts himself when he says "the market will correct things" because that's EXACTLY what happened with Seinfeld—the out-of-touch jokes of a 60-year-old-multimillionaire don't fly with a group of kids who were in diapers when his TV series went off the air, so he's not playing those types of shows anymore.

I also get the feeling that Mookie Blaiklock disagreed but was too afraid to be assertive with Matt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Practical Demon posted:

Not to mention, if Sanders actually does somehow win, Adomian would have had a perfect audition piece if he were actually interested in being on the show. I doubt he would, but there's no chance of it now. He has to have realized it wouldn't be sustainable to keep having David on and they'd need a regular with an impression.

I honestly think Adomian is too good for SNL. Hasn't stopped a lot of people, though.