Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's why I dislike the music episodes in general, even if the music is good - and same goes for things like Case Closed. I like steak and I like lucky charms. I don't want to alternate bites between the two.

Also, the artists have to hate this line of questioning, right? I'd be wildly uncomfortable if I had to explain the inspiration behind everything I've written or painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Regardless of whether or not you think adults drinking milk is gross (it's not), the reason his opinion is so bizarre is that so many adults do drink milk. It's just such a strange opinion to have, it's like if someone thought it was hilarious for adults to eat carrots.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They really need to make a Mr. Show special edition and go back in to add a mustache to PFT in every scene.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm glad Scott retires most of the repetitive jokes right before I can't stand them anymore. The only one that really went on way, way too long was his inability to say the show's name - I just never felt like it had a point. Though I do wish he'd bring back asking how much his guests make, it makes everyone so uncomfortable in the best possible way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
and I love it :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Reformed Pissboy posted:

The Black List Table Reads just debuted with Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas, Lauren Lapkus, Matt Walsh, and others reading some apparently infamous script called "BALLS OUT". It's pretty funny so far.

Love it so far. It'll be a bit frustrating week-to-week in increments of 4. My attention span didn't do particularly well with Nerd Poker, the only other story told over multiple weeks podcast that I can think of.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It is a shame that Besser is consistently the worst improviser on I4H. His moves are so rote and stock and his initiations are so boring. Oh, another scene where everyone gets to pitch you ideas for a new X and you get to shoot them down? Great.

My favorite guests are definitely Ben Schwartz, Jon Gabrus, John Gemberling, and Paul Rust. Any episode with one or more of them is guaranteed to have an instant classic scene in it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Woods and Huskey were the next two on my list, definitely. Was listening to some back episodes recently and the flipoff/Atlantis scene slayed me again. Delaney is always a treat too, despite generally being understated.

Also, despite Poehler only being on one episode she absolutely killed it. I'm hoping now that P&R is over Besser can convince her to do a couple more. Her "Oh, I know what a fart box is." cracks me up whenever I think about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

He has a "hey guys get in here!" scene every episode. And Besser has his ups and downs but he can take things into really weird places too.

As someone who has seen a lot of Harolds in their time, I have nothing against structured group scenes. They can be a blast. But Besser's are just generally really boring and formulaic, and are usually saved by someone else taking it to a weird place. Besser can get weird too, but more often than not he tries to ground scenes to their detriment and makes a lot of poor choices.

Not to say he doesn't have his strengths too, but more often than not when he takes the reins of a scene I don't like where it goes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Analytic Engine posted:

That episode also has the "Matt Besser loves sound and movement exercises" running gag

I loved how you could tell it really bothered him and he had to step in as himself to deny it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I can't actually work out what is real in this. They keep breaking, and I was wondering are they mocking this? Is this a real script? Then they had the writer on, and I'm thinking, is this a bit? But it's not funny. It was just weird.

It's all real - the guy who runs the Black List has actors and comedians on to do a table read of a critically lauded unproduced screenplay over the course of 4 episodes, then interviews the screenwriters.

I really enjoyed it, surprised to see the reactions are so negative here. I can see how the screenwriters's writing style would turn some people off, but plenty of screenplays are written with more colorful language than average - the Wachowskis, for instance. I don't find the story to be particularly obnoxious at this point. But I've always really enjoyed table reads in any form and this is essentially "Unproduced Screenplay Table Reads: The Podcast" so I guess that's not for everyone.

I do wonder if after the first 4 episodes they'll jump to another comedy script or not.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 20, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone listen to WOMP It Up! yet?

Today's like podcast Christmas. I4H 420 special, Spontaneanation, CBB, and now WOMP.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well it'll have to compete with my script, Ghost Point Break (Point Break, but all the characters are ghosts).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mr.capps posted:

I wish they could pull off this many "cut to"s while not high on I4H.

I wish they would get half as abstract. The whole "transition space" thing was amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shnooks posted:

I wasn't sold on Who Charted at first but I love it now. I kind of like it more than Comedy Bang Bang :ohdear:

Don't worry, you'll probably get sick of it after not too long. I had a good run with it, but man am I glad I've unsubscribed. I'm pretty sure it's just the same cute but fluffy show every single week.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How sure are we that Armen Weitzman isn't a Paul Rust character?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, my favorite episode in a long time. Though it was depressing to hear Besser say that intro questions and one word suggestions was the "old school" way.

I'm all for him letting the show evolve from beyond its ASSSSCAT roots, but having half the show be non comedic content isn't the right way to evolve, whether that's music or a case closed or an interview or a rant. I'll continue liking the show as long as they do good improv, but it's the only show that makes me consistently mash down my skip forward 60 seconds button.

Also, it's been way too long since Ben Schwartz was on. I need more Will Hines in my ears, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Lapskast is taken over by the Wild Horses again, for anyone who's unsubscribed.

Somehow I missed that the first time around. Both episodes were great. It makes me want an I4H with guest hosts and no Besser in sight - though I really liked I4H this week too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Poor Besser, getting muscled out of his own show.

Well he muscles everyone else out of scenes so

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's my number 1 complaint about the show. Above even music episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SpacePig posted:

But they also later talk to the Trumpet Guy, so anything nice about this episode is invalidated.

I thought all the scenes were great, actually. I just had to hit skip forward 60 seconds about 30 times in a row every time I heard trumpet guy's voice, and also through Besser complaining about some rando talking poo poo about UCB.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

I usually adore those behind the UCB eps...but this one was excruciating,. It basically felt like a defense of music episodes.

Without really acknowledging that there's a problem. He even said outright that comedy during a music event doesn't work, because the people are there to listen to music, not watch comedy. I wish he'd just acknowledge the reverse.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 2, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Nick Nolte bits were by far the best thing on Spontaneanation so far.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Unmerciful posted:

Disappointing that they made Lauren Lapkus pretty much play it straight in Jurassic World and gave all the funny lines to Jake Johnson. The movie would have been so much better if they had made the two of them the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of the story like it seemed they were going to at the beginning with Jake's Jurassic Park shirt/speech. Still the last scene with them got huge laughs so it wasn't a complete waste I guess.

Every single joke that wasn't between her and Jake totally fell flat in my theater. But all their jokes killed, and the laughter was at its highest when she denied him the kiss. Well, the intended laughter at least.

After the movie two of my friend said they wish the movie was about those two. Maybe Lapkus will be the Chloe O'Brian of the JP series.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, the bummer is that I actually like some of the music he gets on the show that leans more toward folk than country, but when I'm listening to podcasts on the train or at work I am so not in the mood to listen to slow, depressing folk music, especially songs that average 5 minutes long.

That being said, there were some really solid scenes today. I've been going back through the episodes from the beginning again recently and I'm loving Mary Holland more and more. Gabrus and Cordero are always great, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Holy poo poo, PFT's Lou Ferrigno joke on Spontaneanation today was one of the best improvised joke punchlines I've ever heard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually thought this was the best run case closed so far. Matt gave everyone time to talk and to get their points across, and didn't bully or talk over anyone once. I just thought everyone's points were incredibly half-baked, on both sides. How do they constantly bring it back to Seinfeld and not mention Michael Richards's infamous rant?

That being said, I have to firmly agree with the callers. That Andy Daly is awesome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So far it's certainly the longest story in the history of mankind.

e: :stare: worth it

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 15, 2015

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Besser has no idea what he's talking about. But also neither did the opposing viewpoints he brought on from the boards.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Absolutely, one cut to sound would work just fine. I like his intention there, but all any of those sounds mean to me is "now we're doing a side scene about the thing just mentioned."

JethroMcB posted:

"I ate a whoooole roll of...quarters."

This episode was all over the place, but that's kind of the show's charm. The loose construction, the halting delivery, Eban Schletter's wonderful scoring, they all come together and somehow work.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for longform improv that tells a complete story throughout, so Spontaneanation is great for me despite its flaws. This week's was a bit too disjointed for me - previous weeks have felt a little more coherent and grounded. The first few practically felt like monoscenes in comparison. Still, it's a great Monday afternoon CBB comedown.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who doesn't tell their wife that they have an identical twin brother in a coma? Mitch is such a dick :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well that changes everything!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

i don't understand it. they presumably have access to whatever equipment nerdist has but it always sounds like they record in a garage. the quality gets better after the intro but its real echo-y.

I skip the intro to pretty much every podcast I listen to, but I skip the Indoor Kids intro with a vengeance. I love Kumail and Emily separately, but in their podcast intro they are the very definition of obnoxious cute couple. The audio quality just makes it that much worse. How hard is it to run a quick Remove Noise filter in Audacity?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Besser essentially just said "There will be changes coming to Improv4Humans soon" and didn't imply what they were one way or the other, despite their joking about 300 and 400 episodes and him quitting - the two were unrelated. I'm guessing he's just going to start bringing in monologists or some other reformat of the show to keep it interesting for him.

I just finished my re-listen to the whole thing, though, I'd be really bummed if the show did end sometime soon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

moleman posted:

Probably the best episode of Improv4Humans since that amazing musical one with Zack Woods and the undersea world a year ago.

The Atlantis flipping-the-fin is my all-time favorite scene, absolutely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite I4H moment that wasn't inside of a scene was Lapkus feeling miserable and ashamed after doing 3 anal-related scenes in one episode, and despairing that she was complicit. It was such a wonderful insight into the performer's plight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who just burned through a re-listen of I4H, the ad-free nature of this pretty much makes me forgive any other bungled parts of the implementation. However, I'm not happy about having to switch over from my preferred podcast app in order to listen to this stuff.

I'll pay for it as long as they have interesting content coming out, especially if it's more in the experimental direction or allows for all of my favs to get their own minis.

e: And yeah, I assume this is the big change that Besser was talking about on the last I4H - sounds like maybe he has some plans for cool premium stuff?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What was the LBJ/presidential blowjob episode of I4H?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am in favor of that being a thing. Very much so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Ironically, the launch of Howl has gotten me into Hollywood Handbook and improv4humans... not that I've been listening to them via Howl at all, but I've been like "poo poo, maybe I should download every episode of these shows just in case I end up loving them in the future!" and now I've listened to a bunch of both of them. And I'm glad that I did download every episode of both of them.

What other Earwolf shows should I download the entirety of before it's too late? (Aside from CBB, HDTGM, and UTU2TM?)

The Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project. And on Wolfpop, I Was There Too is essential if you're a movie buff.