Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

You can add a SeeSo subscription THROUGH Amazon Prime Video, but it's not included.

This is awesome, a better interface for watching seeso shows. Their interface is garbage and they didn't even offer me a refund when I told them it didn't work on my computer.

I want to support all the good comedy people involved with these shows, but they really need to start picking better media partners that know how to make a loving website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

anotherone posted:

It's not like a podcast host is going to reject a TV deal because the network's iPhone app isn't good.

Right, which TV channel are these shows on?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Parallax posted:

I honestly don't get why Seeso wasn't an add-on to something like Hulu in the first place, especially when you consider NBC owns a part of Hulu

I agree, especially since they have showtime and other poo poo as add ons already.

anotherone posted:

A new media program on a consumer pay platform, if that makes it easier for you to understand

So you're saying it's not a TV channel and the only way to access it is through the "iphone app"? Weird that I have a problem with their app being poo poo then, right?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 17, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What do you mean by add-on though? Like when you click "channels" on Hulu there would be one that says Seeso?

Also Hulu is also co-owned by Disney and FOX so NBC doesn't want to share revenue in yet another venture. Also, a big thing about Seeso is that there's no ads where even Hulu gives you ads on certain shows if you bought their relatively new "ad-free" subscription.

I haven't signed up for the showtime addon but I imagine it just adds new content to their list of shows. Much like when they add new shows normally.

I haven't found Hulu to have any ads on their ad free version, they also advertised it as totally ad free. Is this not the case? The big problem I have is that they don't have every season of certain shows.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pot Of Shoe posted:

The funniest thing about that I4H "case closed" thing was that that Dorkawhatever dude was such a little bitch when it came time to actually debate. He was so confident making posts on that dead forum but as soon as he gets a chance to talk he makes almost zero points.

Also, Besser always says Repubs and Bernie supporters are retarded (which is generally true) but he has never explained his die hard love for Hillary. I want to hear it because I guarantee it is the stupidest most out-of-touch reasoning like most of his opinions on things. That being said I do like Besser vs. the Audience.

The debate was BS, the argument was whether or not Bernie should concede. It's a stupid position to take, especially if you believe he should be president.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Well it is all but assured that he will concede and Hillary will get the nom, it's just a matter of when he should concede that they were debating.

It doesn't matter if you think it's assured or not, it's just a weak position to take in a debate. If the assumption is that he's lost arguing about his merits is pointless, all you can argue about is whether or not it makes sense for him to concede or not. Which is exactly what we got, and it was boring and stupid and it went exactly how Besser wanted it to.

Just to be clear, I enjoy case closed (unlike most of you guys it seems), I just thought it was lame how they set up the debate. They should've just had a legitimate debate discussing the merits of each candidate if they were going to talk about this at all.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Pot Of Shoe posted:

It's not that I think it's assured, it's just a fact that it is all but assured, my personal opinion on the matter doesn't really affect anything. And the debate topic was decided by the forums guy anyway, he chose his position so take it up with him I guess. Also, the debate wasn't about if he will concede but when he will concede which is tedious at best and boring at worst.

Anyway, ready for a really unpopular opinion? I love the music eps and I think they spark the best improv on the show.

That's not what happened at all, the topic wasn't decided by the guy calling him out. Presumably Besser chose the topic of debate: "should Bernie now unite to fight with Hillary against Trump".
http://forum.earwolf.com/topic/34144-matt-besser-i-am-calling-you-out/

I too enjoy the music episodes, though I don't know if they produce the best improv. I can say with certainty that youtube videos produce the worst improv bits though.

Not Operator posted:

It was back during the video podcast network days, and my only clear memory of it is an uncomfortable Lauren Lapkus side-staring at the camera like she's doing a guest spot on The Office.

The latest High and Mighty had John Gemberling discussing the concept of child gently caress dolls for pedophiles... topic of the episode? video games!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I've had Howl for a week now and love it (whoever says there's not enough content is loving nuts) but the interface is confusing. Is there a way to subscribe to podcasts and have them download automatically like the basic iphone app? Like for The Layman, I just favorited the show so I know exactly where to go to manually download a new episode.

Nope, it's garbage. They wrote the app as if it's job were to advertise shows and list them. They should have written the app as though it's job were to listen to podcasts.

I'm only using the android version so I can't speak to the ios version, but here are the main problems I have.

1) No way to create a playlist
2) no way to subscribe, so you can never tell when new episodes appear
3) no way to reorder the list, everything is bottom up as if they expect you to listen to everything in reverse order
4) no way to use a third party player
5) random crashes
6) not a super important feature for most, but for me I would like it to keep track of what I'm listening to between devices. I should be able to listen on the website and switch to my phone and it should keep track of what I've listened to and how much I've listened to.

Greggy posted:

https://howl-rss.128.io/
here's a good tool some guy made, it gives you RSS feeds you can put into your usual podcast app and download them all like any other podcast.

This doesn't seem to work with feedly, which is what I use to sync with beyondpod.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

So is anyone planning on going to the MidRoll Podcast Festival in Anaheim? I never planned on going as I enjoy the LA PodFest just fine and hate Orange County, but the way they've ~rolled~ out the Midroll one is pretty gross so far. The LA Podfest guys made a now-deleted Facebook post that basically said all of Midroll's properties (Earwolf + WTF) would be exclusive to that fest sooner or later. They couldn't do it this year as LA PodFest announced their lineup well in advance of the Midroll Fest. And on today's HDTGM, Paul read this very :smuggo: ad copy that coyly mentioned this is the only one he's heard of.

Adam Sachs' last day at Midroll was last week btw.

Welcome to the corporatization of entertainment! Soon everything will be region locked, Canadians won't get Comedy Bang Bang unless they pirate it, but they'll get Yo Is This Racist? a week early.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Illinois Smith posted:

Pretty sure Gourley is my favorite improv person. That was a good /w Special Guest.

I love Lapkus but the premise of her show isn't my cup of tea, but when a good guest like Matt is on it's amazing. He is my favorite improv person too, superego was my introduction to that kind of thing on podcasts.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

manyak posted:

Im not gonna stop listening to comedy bang bang but i definitely am gonna not want to give money to the company that also hosts that podcast where the two investment bankers give you advice

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at too. I don't mind throwing a few bucks at them just to support the stuff I like, but I'm definitely not supporting the production of content I don't want to listen to. Not only that but the lack of new content is definitely not helping... producing things advertisers like isn't making me want to fund that poo poo.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

IDK, I am the bigger Besser fan and apologist there can be, I think every other Armen episode has been transcendent, but this one was straight up strange. I was so pumped when I saw it, but it was pretty flat.

Maybe the problem is you're not a comic book movie fan? I thought it was great, I love suparmen.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

There's a really funny webseries featuring tons of Earwolf/UCB regulars called Tween Fest. It's about a father who puts on a Coachella for social media influencers: A Venmo superstar, a pimple popper Youtube celebrity, a "socially conscious" prankster who locks babies in cars and yells at people who don't save it, etc.

First two 10 min eps were pretty good http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/00cee11e46/tween-fest-episode-1?playlist=486571&_cc=__d___&_ccid=d03af760-ff03-4c96-bb9f-3e984a9efe03

At a certain point satire is just the thing you don't like, you literally can't parody the awful poo poo on youtube because it's worse than whatever you can imagine. But then again, you guys are big hollywood handbook fans...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

It's just a funny web series, dude.

It's cool, I just didn't like it, dude.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

$1000 is not a cheap mattress.

That's what's so confusing about it to me. From what I've heard the mattresses are good, but you'd think some company that sells one of those decent $250 mattresses on Amazon would go "Hey, Earwolf fans are probably mostly broke 20-somethings or were recently. Let's scoop up that market."

$1000 for a king size is pretty cheap, last time I bought a king size mattress I literally cashed out my first 401k to buy it (not the stupidest thing I did at that age).

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

My conspiracy theory is that Casper and Leesa are not distinct companies and instead just two different marketing arms for the same manufacturer, being pitted against one another in some kind of Venture Capitalist Hunger Games scenario.

I'm pretty sure at the very least the product is manufactured at the same facility. I've seen videos/pictures of the competitors products and they're packaged exactly the same and look exactly the same, the casper mattress says "casper" on the side but otherwise looks identical.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

I think I heard recently that the way they do that "1 outta 10 are donated to a shelter" is they funnel all their returns to homeless shelters. Because I'm pretty sure it's illegal (in many states, at least) to sell a used mattress.

Not sure about other mattress companies but the return policy for Leesa seemed like some kind of local recycling partnership. If you ask for a return it doesn't go back to the factory, it gets picked up and donated or recycled by a local company.

I don't know if they count that as "donated to a shelter" but that would be pretty shady if that was the case.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Continuing the seemingly never-ending ouroboros of high-quality content they have going, Sean is Gabrus' guest on High & Mighty this week to talk iced coffee ("And prove how boring I really am to talk to.")

He doesn't have to convince me, I've listened to Hollywood handbook.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I've been getting this vibe too over the last couple months.

We can only dream, to never hear about HH ever again.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Waterbed Wendy posted:

it gets so boring and sometimes cringe inducing.

So it's as good as ever?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Fiendly posted:

Intentionally bad improv is as unfunny as regular bad improv. Last half of the episode was excruciating.

Spoken like someone who isn't in on the "joke"...

ManoliIsFat posted:

You just don't get sarcasm and irony, when they're being boring and not funny they're actually being funny and not boring.

:goonsay:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

They keep casually mentioning it but I think he sold a chunk of his ownership before the sale.

The funny thing about all this is that once Earwolf is dead and buried all the content producers, unless they pay them serious cash, will just move over to an independent podcast networks and all the money spent will be for nothing. They're trying to re-create the network model in podcast form, but it's over, it's not coming back. The distribution model that services like Youtube and Twitch offer are the future, traditional media companies are just grasping at straws at this point.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/seeso-nbc-comedy-streaming-service-in-question.html

Seeso seems to be in trouble

tl;dr: A niche start-up type company run under the umbrella of an enormous multi-national multi-billion corporation that ends things if they're not immediately successful in 3 months might be shuttered in the immediate future.

Honestly, I don't get why NBCUniversal didn't just replace the Esquire channel with Seeso when they shuttered. This board is 100% people who are the targeted audience of Seeso but how many of us actually subscribed after our 1 month codes expired? Us dang millennials don't want to add another monthly charge to our bills when we already have Netflix and Spotify and etc.

I paid for it even though their website and app sucked and I couldn't stream without stuttering. I did have to cancel and sign up through amazon to get it to work properly... I rarely watch anything on it so I probably should cancel it while I wait for the next season of Harmonquest. The rest of the content I've either already seen or it doesn't interest me, UCB show was hit or miss probably better live, MBMBaM was alright and I thought Shrink was good too but I'm a real Baltz-head.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tarranon posted:

i think spont and with special guest and bitch sesh have good ads but it does seem to be really hard to do right

i think probably because they don't give much of a poo poo.

I think you're just calling those good because you're used to ads. I appreciate the attempt at making the commercial funny or interesting, but at the end of the day they're just reading copy in a funny voice. I skip the ads, but if I could I'd pay for ad-free versions as long as it worked and isn't a lovely experience. I still pay for howl even though I don't use the app, I'd pay for an ad-free RSS if they had the option.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

evale posted:

https://redd.it/408x5z

Haven't tried it out - but seems to be working for everyone there.

I do use that, I just wish there was an official option. Especially since presumably howl is being depreciated entirely and moving to stitcher.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

soggybagel posted:

Why do you guys think they're serious every time?

They're HH fans, so they can't tell the difference between jokes and not jokes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tatumje posted:

Half the fun of HH is getting-it but then subsequently pretending to not get-it in comment sections.

Yeah, all the people not getting it are just super in on the joke!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tatumje posted:

Mmm, yes, speak on that.

Good one!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

So the Hollywood Handbook on Live at UCB is pretty freaking hilarious.

Seems unlikely.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Okay.... Yes..Speak on that.

Couldn't have guessed you'd say that! So clever!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cloks posted:

If you listened to the show previously and didn't like it it might be worth returning to it now.

Seems unlikely.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

HH has evolved significantly, but not in a way I think would actually get new people on board. Like a lot of what is funny about the show now is kinda how it plays with comedy concepts in a way that could probably be pretty off putting to people I am guessing.

Too true, It's just too complex for the layman to find the humor in it. You guys must just be on another level.

Hold on, let me do it.... hmmm, speak on that!

Did I figure it out? I'm just a dummy who doesn't get jokes :jerkbag:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

Too true, It's just too complex for the layman to find the humor in it. You guys must just be on another level.

Hold on, let me do it.... hmmm, speak on that!

Did I figure it out? I'm just a dummy who doesn't get jokes :jerkbag:

Speak on that

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Hollywood Handbook is good :shrug:

Seems unlikely.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

We do that thing that Naomi and Kulap does and giggle and laugh at them for genuinely enjoying themselves

If anything learning about MacPhisto has turned my disinterest in U2 into a statement, and it makes their un-ironic love of U2 even better to me.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ArtVandelay posted:

So I finally started watch Bajillion. Barely got through the first 5 episodes. I'm not sure I can keep going. How can so many incredibly talented and funny people make a show so shockingly unfunny. I desperately want to like it, but it's just completely devoid of laughs.

I think comedians must watch and enjoy reality TV, to normal people a fake reality TV show is no different than a "real" reality TV show.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

Scott Aukerman and Matt Besser improvising together, I can imagine it now...

"Alright, everybody get into my office, now!"
"Boss, calm down, you're standing on your desk and swinging your fists at us!"

He was on Spontaneanation not too long ago too, so check that out if you want more classic Scotty Aucks improv stylings.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I4h is my favorite, it makes me laugh out loud more than any other comedy podcast. Even CBB is boring sometimes but I've never disliked an episode of i4h.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

Lol. Actually when people just rhyme, you get that "humpty dumpty sat on a wall" freestyle, like Scott and PFT do.

My name is Scotty Auck and I'm here to say, I rap in a humpty dumpty kinda way!

- Expert talker (aka. Improviser)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tatumje posted:

I put on my tax forms that I’m a professional improviser. The IRS loves that poo poo.

My living room is a tax write off since that's where I do most of my conversational improvising.