Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is there a reason that How Did This Get Made hasn't had a VPN episode (I haven't spotted one anyway) ? Do they not record at the Earwolf studio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah they do it remotely over Skype or something? I never picked up on that (I'm guessing they've said this a hundred times now...)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He's also in Super Fun Night. This is not an endorsement to watch Super Fun Night.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That Andy Daly podcast was seriously impressive, I hope every week is as good (and as long) as that. Didn't realise there would be so many guests too, really looking forward to the next one now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JayMax posted:

I'd enjoy improv4humans a lot more if Matt Besser cared a little less about random people on the internet.

There was an episode last year where he was really pissed i4h didn't get on the nominations for a podcast award, and from a viewers perspective it didn't come off wonderfully. I know Besser has a rep, and he's not unique for that, but it's not as if this isn't a really, really good time for podcasting right now and competition is legit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's out! And it's Chip Gardner!. This is gonna be a great one for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never knew there was a third Cyber Thug episode, is it worth buying the pack on Earwolf for $8 ? I think I only ever heard the 2nd episode (despite having the first 2 downloaded originally) and remember liking it a fair bit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Punch Card posted:

Oh poo poo I'm about to press play on this new Andy Daly.

Same, it's the episode I've waited for the most. Now to find out of the tweet that indicated that Wompler is the guest is correct...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here's the strangest minor complaint you'll hear all day: Earwolf needs to swap out the photo of Jason Mantzoukas they use as it really doesn't resemble the guy anymore, and for some reason beyond me reminds me of the photo of Mohamed Atta that the news kept using after 9/11, despite the fact the two don't resemble each other in the slightest.

Also, I thought that the upcoming Live Andy Daly podcast was the same character as from his Nine Sweaters CD, the Irish guy who tells seemingly innocent stories until they take a dark and twisted turn, but they have different names. Same character or different?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm now contemplating who out of Rafi and Atta is the worse person... it's close. Real close.

I just hate that photo. I think it's because most photos of Jason have him with a big smile, and in this it's just a cold stare into the camera.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, we need to get Kulap to safety right now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never knew the Who Charted? theme was an Adam Ant track. That caught me by surprise as I was listening through an 80s pop compilation today...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't suppose there's an AV Club style, community rated podcast episode guide or something is there? I just find it super frustrating that there's so much stuff out there, but because I don't commute I barely get through or or two things a week these days, and it'd make life easier if I knew which stuff was A grade goodness.

I kinda hope there is, or I'm going to have to get knee deep in bad code and make one and hope people use it...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BobTheCow posted:

The AV Club actually does something that sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

http://www.avclub.com/features/podmass/

In Podmass, The A.V. Club sifts through the ever-expanding world of podcasts and recommends 10–15 of the previous week’s best episodes. Have your own favorite? Let us know in the comments or at podmass@avclub.com.

I don't usually pay much attention to it, so I can't speak to weather I tend to agree with their recommendations or not.

Ah useful, cheers! I thought they did, but I went to the site and because I didn't see podcasts in the big menu selection I presumed I was imagining things. This'll help I'm sure!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Another Period is great and kind of makes up for Why? With Hannibal Burress being a bit disappointing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've still not listened to the podcast because Bono is specifically an irritant. I fear if I do, I'm going to change mind about him. It happened before when I hated Moby for no good reason before realising he's actually an awesome dude.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, I can't say I can disagree or get angry about this decision. For anyone who doesn't work with content production at any level - advertisers SUCK. You get horrible rates, and for websites at least you get essentially 0 for displaying thousands of adverts if they don't get clicks. They call all the shots, and they get to name how much they pay you. It's why you go to a site like The Verge and your browser crawls to a halt as it loads a million scripts for advertising and tracking, because they're probably making jack poo poo off most of them individually.

Earwolf is a business that gives away it's product to the user for essentially free, they have to be able to pay the bills somehow. Advertising alone is a lovely way of doing it, and I doubt that many people buy t-shirts from them. Howl seems to give more than just the previously free back catalog (which undoubtedly lost them money to keep hosting for free) and it's priced reasonably on a month-to-month basis. I don't have time to listen to the podcasts I like as it is, so I'll probably pass, but I can't blame them at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

There's a mini ep of Womp It Up at the end of today's Sklarbro County. The whole episode is a delight though. I really want them four to write a pilot where they play each other's spouses.

There isn't a WIU thread, is there? There hasn't been much talk of it in here. The last Gutterballs episode was really good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Listening to Gabrus and enjoying, but holy hell I will go to LA and strangle him unless he stops saying backslash when he means slash when reading out web addresses.

It's never backslash. Remove the word from your dictionary unless you live your life in a terminal window.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a bugbear of mine because you hear it all the time and it's always wrong. Like people saying 'literally' incorrectly. This is a backslash - \ - it's almost never needed in day to day computer stuff. Whenever you hear people make up web addresses on the spot for a joke, they always say backslash. I have no idea why, maybe it's just fun to say? Like nails on a chalkboard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Poopy Palpy posted:

I download entire websites and browse them in Windows Explorer.

If it wasn't for the Windows part, I'd accuse you of being Richard Stallman (a crazy person who does exactly this).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eh everyone has dumb poo poo that irritates them, that's just one of mine.

Believe it or not I don't care enough that I'm actually going to travel halfway around the world to strangle someone over it, I'm just being a dick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Jon Gabrus totally seems like a dude who would give a poo poo if told he was using backslash incorrectly.

I'm considering telling him I'm being internet bullied over the whole thing just to enjoy the reaction, if it got one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Golden Bee posted:

Tweet at the man

Ah gently caress it, enjoy my humiliation while I sleep (if it happens).

https://twitter.com/chadmuskehound/status/640696453418123264

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone with a -30k post count is accusing me of attention whoring. That's loving hilarious.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

LesterGroans posted:

Everyone is in agreement that The Travel Bug With August Lindt and Kiss Me, I'm Patrick McMahon are two of the greatest comedy podcasts of all time, right?

The whole project is just non-stop wonderful.

I don't recall a single episode that wasn't brilliant.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Zsinjeh posted:

Also one of them did that loving amazing Arnold and Carl Weathers impression.

Yeah that took me completely by surprise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mr. Squishy posted:

I blame whoever pointed out that he asks people into his office a lot.
Here's a vid of the Hollywood Handbook LAPodfest epi which to my surprise is free. John Gemberling seems to be the first guest to honestly need the Popcorn Gallery explained to him.

It's super frustrating that they don't seem to allow you to view the video on their Vimeo page itself. I just wanna subscribe to their channel and watch on my Apple TV in bed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also 360 degree video is only really fun for about a minute, then it becomes a hassle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Help Im Alive posted:

I live in the UK and don't know who Jeff Dunham is + it's weird that achmed the dead terrorist and jose jalapeno are real things

And yet we still used to get Achmed ringtone Jamster TV adverts, despite the fact he was never popular over here at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GimpChimp posted:

I used to happily imagine that only the US could make Dunham a thing, but then I found out that he tours the UK every year and plays stadiums. He's obviously very good at playing to a very specific section of society.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Jeff-Dunham-tickets/artist/806157 The comments section is full of total exuberance from the extremely stupid.

Wow, that's genuinely surprising. I don't think I've ever heard anyone over here mention his name.

I remember watching the Jamster advert with my friend, both a good amount of beers down, and he took massive offence to the fact that they felt that a ringtone of someone saying "I KEEEL YOU" was worth £3 or something (probably £20 due to their 'subscription service'), to the point where he walked off into the bathroom and recorded his own version that sounded exactly the same for free. He didn't even know the character or anything, he was just incensed about the money grabbing aspect.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

PFT is a narrator on this week's Drunk History. He is a sloppy drunk.

Thanks for the heads up, I think DH is a great premise but it gets a bit repetitive for me so I need a reason to watch. A drunken PFT is that reason.

Anyone who hasn't seen his HBO special where he tells stories and sinks about 5 pints of Guinness in a half hour needs to. It's old chubby faced PFT and it's amazing. It's on YouTube - "Driven to Drink".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agreed, needed someone who knew where the movie was coming from. It's 50% legit due to Emmanuel Goldsteins involvement (regardless of how he feels about the movie) and 50% hilarious movie bullshit metaphors because nobody wants to watch command line poo poo. Until Mr Robot came out. Them not knowing which parts are real and which aren't meant it wasn't a particularly enjoyable listen. I was so excited too :(

piratepilates posted:

Hackers is a masterpiece. It is over the top nutso and never not entertaining. I get the feeling listening to this episode that the gang thinks it's a bad movie because of the ridiculousness when that's exactly why it's such a great movie.

Yeah, exactly. It went over their heads and Hackers really shouldn't be going over anyone's head.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ManoliIsFat posted:

June was 100% on that early hacking was definitely very free-phone-call centric.

Oops forgot to comment on this specific bit - they all seemed very confused about phreaking in general... like, loving with the telephone system was the one thing everyone essentially had access to (until people realised that this poo poo was being seriously looked into by the feds, and you shouldn't do it at home). Kids wanting to make free calls, get on party lines, find exchanges they weren't supposed to know about... that's what hacking is. I think that's what was the most frustrating part about the episode. Hacking is essentially about knowledge and exploration, and the film actually doesn't do an awful job at all about showing that hackers were essentially bored nerdy kids, while the media portrayed them as the villains.

The technique shown on Hack The Planet is legit, it's a red box. The fact that was in a movie is just hilarious to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_box_(phreaking)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh it's a bad film, but it's a bad film you will either love or hate.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah very true. I think it's just I find all too often they cover films I haven't seen at all/in ages and I end up skipping episodes, then I see something like Hackers and I think it's going to be another Mac and Me or Street Fighter. There was still plenty to laugh about, and I do intend to finish listening. It was just a missed opportunity when there's plenty of people they could've had to guest on this one to make it a classic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What did she say, or hasn't that actually been revealed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UP AND ADAM posted:

I think Wompler was funnier when she was a(n even more) thinly veiled homage to St Clair's own ridiculous adolescence. At some point she retconned it so that her character now never gets Listler's late 80s early 90s refs, and i oppose that.

It seems to go back and forth depending on what it is, which is funnier imo. It's like she forgets she shouldn't remember the pop culture of her own childhood.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Neil Casey should be in way more things, he's awesome and way under booked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like it's more misadvertisement than scam, the people who use it for business seem happy while people who just want a few stamps are outraged.