Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

enri posted:

Not so much my LGS, but I'd rather give me cash to a games store than a book store.. it was more that I was just chewing the fat with the store owner whilst I was there last night. Plus I'm in the UK, don't think we even have Barnes & Noble here. At best some people said Waterstones (one of our popular high street book stores) has the core set in stock but finding out whether they have more than that or not involves trecking up to the shops at the weekend which my hectic weekends don't usually allow for, which kinda sucks :(
If you are in the UK:

A-Wing
TIE Interceptor

Also if you search for Star Wars, most of the stuff seems to be in stock. I get most of my games from this website and it's pretty fast and reliable for shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TIE Phantom is from Rebel Assault 2, one of the best worst FMV star wars games that the 90s had to offer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Every single 90s Star Wars videogame fan should have encountered the hell that was the A-Wing crystal-flying level on the original Rebel Assault. I still feel like I really accomplished something when I beat that level.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I know that the A-Wing but man, I love those ships/models. I bought a couple on a whim, might round out a whole side maybe.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I got drawn in by this finally and I'm building a small fleet: currently have 1 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wings and 2 TIE Fighters. I'm mostly going for looks and getting the ships I used to love in TIE Fighter/X-Wing videogames, but are TIE Interceptors any good at all? They were really my favourite ship and I'll probably get at least one, but was wondering if they were worth their points in comparison to TIE Fighters. What about Bombers?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

You're confusing best ship with worst ship again. The Defender in XvT could fire all the guns at once, it was that amazing.
You don't even need lasers/ions when you can just spam advanced missiles all live long day.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm really hoping the TIE Advanced (not the x1, aka the TIE Avenger) comes out at some point, that fighter is really sweet and I remember flying it a whole lot in TIE Fighter in the campaigns before the TIE Defender/Missile Boat came out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, you'd have to fiddle around with its dial to make it stand out from the TIE Defender. It really does sit in an uncomfortable space that is filled by the TIE Defender/TIE x1/TIE Interceptor, unfortunately.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

overdesigned posted:

Congrats on even finding a Tie Interceptor--I am pretty sure I got the last one in the entire northwest Florida area (at a B&N in Destin).
There should be more shippings for Wave 3 now: my local (in the UK as well) just got restocked with B-Wings, Inties, A-Wings and Bombers, so if we got the restocks I assume most shops in America would have done as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Managed to get my first game in. I played 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wings and 1 A-Wing against 3 TIE Inties and 2 TIE Fighter. My Y-Wing with ion turret go predictably destroyed almost immediately, and I pretty much lost: the only star of my game was my A-Wing which managed to destroy a TIE/F and a TIE/In before going down. I was going for a heavy ion list but the Y-Wing really didn't do much. I did like the A-Wing and hopefully with the aces pack it will do better because it really wasn't that shabby (I am aware that in tournaments it's not all that but for casual play it seemed to do alright).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shoeless posted:

What Y-Wing pilot did you have? I'm guessing a Gold or Grey Squadron member?
Yeah, gold squadron member. Probably should have gone for someone better but I wanted one of the B-Wings to get the good pilot. You don't get much room for good pilots with 3 ships with ions while still making a 4 ship list.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Ion Turret is only 1-2 tough, which is something that actually caught me out. I did manage to do some work with the Ion Cannon on the B-Wings though: got one of the Inties with it, did a K-turn next turn to get behind it, but since I had other TIEs on my tail I tried to end him quickly and lucked out on the rolls. I want to get another Y-Wing and see what kind of fun you can have running an all Ion squadron, it would be pretty funny.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Wooo, just got my 3 Tantives and 3 Rebel Transports! Scenario Time!
:stare:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Man the outrider still looks awesome.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Nebulon-B is almost twice the length of the Corellian Corvette.

EDIT: I'm trying to think of stuff from the EU that might be used (since they obviously aren't afraid to dip their toes in it). Lancer frigates are still 250 meters in length to the 150 of the corvette. It's difficult to find other stuff the size of a corvette though...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Corellian Gunship would be awesome and act as a foil for the Corellian Corvette, it was also a really annoying ship to fight in TIE Fighter/X-Wing etc

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I feels SW is more iconic in terms of dogfights between fighters rather than cap ship fights like in Star Trek so I understand why they went for this scale.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

This game could easily support ships at 2 different scales Fighters at their own current scale and large ships at an even smaller scale. People would bitch at an x-wing flying by a tiny star destroyer but what they forget is theres already a 2nd scale in the game. Movement scale. The current movement scale makes no sense unless you really think flying what amounts to an extra 20 meters forward would really stress out a Y-wing pilot. If you introduce a separate (tiny)big ship scale you can actually make movement scale work right.
It's not about moving 20 extra meters forward, it's movement during a set timeframe: the extra distance represents acceleration for s small amount of time before the pilot/y-wing can't take it anymore.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

I suppose it would be ridiculous to hope for a new Advanced model with notched wings like it had in the PC game.
Do you mean the TIE Avenger? That's a different ship according to EU.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

They were calling it the TIE Advanced when Maarek Stele flew it under Vice Admiral Thrawn.
Yep, and it was called TIE Advanced even in TIE-Fighter and X-Wing, but it is still a separate type of craft from the TIE Advanced x1 that Vade flew (and which is present within the game currently).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

Only Vader's card says x1. I can forgive you for not noticing that, since it might as well be the only pilot card.
In the EU the TIE Advanced that Vader uses does not actually go in large production and Vader's ship is actually only a prototype for the TIE Avanger/Advanced. So, in effect, it's weird that Vader's Advanced is used by anyone other than him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Shut up and sit down did a review of X-Wing this friday. If you aren't used to the humour of this review site, it can be pretty weird/unfunny, but they are extremely positive about the game itself.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've been thinking about this list for a bit:

Airen Cracken (19)
Wingman (2)

Lieutenant Blount (17)
Wingman (2)
Ion Pulse Missiles (3)

Biggs Darklighter (25)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Push the Limit (3)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The idea is simple: the whole squadron goes around as a blob, with the two Z-95s removing stress tokens from Wedge Antilles, who just PTLs and gets a free action from Airen every turn, while having firepower drawn away by Biggs, with Blount using his Ion Pulse to target any likely targets. I'm sure someone has come up with this before, but it seems like a pretty good list to me: plenty of firepower and a lot of staying power with Wedge being able to get so many actions.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Couldn't he get multiple target locks or even multiple focus tokens (use one in attack and one in defense)? Or did I miss a rule saying that a specific action can only be done once per turn even if you have multiple 'free' actions.

EDIT: Also I could drop the ion-pulse for R2-F2 but that seems to miss out on what makes Blount good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fair enough, must have missed that when I first read the rules. Still, I can just give the free action from Airen to someone else if necessary, like for example giving the target lock to Blount instead.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm trying to see if I can fit either R2-F2 or maybe an engine upgrade into that list onto Wedge, but it's proving difficult. Would it be worth removing PtL from Wedge to give him R2-F2? That seems to miss the point of taking the stress and having ti removed through wingman, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well the pulse does give two ion tokens, so it can get rid of a nasty threat at a crucial time. The points do add up if I drop the second Z-95 to a bandit squadron, give Wedge R2-F2 and give Biggs an hull upgrade so he can draw more shots, so I'll probably go for that. Thanks for the help!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm not sure about the stealth device over giving the hull upgrade to Biggs, really, because they both serve the purpose of helping Wedge avoid getting damage. I'd have to test it out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think there is anything restricting you from doing Imperial vs Imperial afaik (although I am unsure at how you would be able to resolve ties in Initiative if a mirror match did happen).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Although you are going to get at least one X-Wing in order to be able to play since that's what's present within the core set, so it'll be probably cheaper to get enough ships for both rebels and imperials rather than getting enough for two list worth of imperials.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

shalcar posted:

I think the idea was that he only needed to buy enough for one list of Imperials and then plays with other people at his FLGS without being locked out of playing half his possible opponents (or if his friends decide they want to play Imperial too), rather than buying two lists of Imperials by himself.
Ah yeah, I misread the post.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Got to try all of my wave 4 stuff today. I played with that ZZXX wing I posted up earlier (with the suggested modifications) and it went against 3 elite TIEs and did pretty well. The Z-95 with the ion pulse didn't do much though so I might just remove it and add wingman to it instead and maybe something else to Wedge/Biggs.

I really liked the Z-95 overall. I got to try E-Wings, which I thought were pretty good since they get pretty good stats and the dial is decent as well. I also tried the Phantom (Echo with Advanced Cloaking and Veteran Instincts) and the way that it can manuever around is a bit sick. Finally, the TIE Defenders were very decent as well: being able to do a white k-turn is extremely good. Played three matches overall and had a lot of fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you import, you'll have to pay to pay P&P on top and you will likely be hit by customs charges on the way in as well, I would not recommend buying from abroad. I usually buy from Board Game Guru but it doesn't always have everything in stock. It has the expansions for 10 pounds and you have to pay P&P but it still usually works out cheaper than buying for 12 pounds from most other retailers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

From that board game guru place I bought one of every wave 4 ship, p&p was around 3 pounds so I made a saving of 5 pounds on the ships over rrp. The only issue is that it's a smaller store so they have less stock.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well to me the ability seems pretty clear: it's just worded differently because it needs to specify that it has to be within his firing arc. If it meant that it was only Etahn attacking that triggered it, it would have stated so.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You really, really want Push the Limit on Soontir. If there is one pilot that really shines with PtL, it's him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The defender has been pretty good the times I've tried it, you really need to exploit the white k-turn though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I just wish they weren't so horribly, horribly ugly. :(
I'll never convince anyone that they actually look good, will I?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tippis posted:

Only people who still have fond memories of Tie Fighter that haven't been erased by the traumatic massacre of all things Star Wars ever since.
It could be a 1/1/1/0 ship and still be the most beautiful thing on the board. :colbert:
Yeah, my love of the Defender is pretty much from TIE Fighter as well. Bring in the missile boats :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd really love to get a model of the assault gunboat. I hated flying it in TIE Fighter but I still liked the model itself.

• Locked thread