Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I've been a Rebel player for quite some time, but several of the Imperial players are under the impression that Rebels are game-breakingly OP.
Granted, they have a bad habit of trying to tool up all of their pilots (even vanilla TIEs) and throw in as many named pilots as possible. Is there really that much of an imbalance, or do I need to tell them to harden up and learn how to play/list build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

They seem to base half their argument on "Rebels have shields and we don't", and on the crazy-good tooled up pilots we can field. In all honesty, most games they fall for the bait Tycho and Wedge is usually ignored, despite being the biggest damage output

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Leia has her uses, but Han Solo letting you spend Target Locks as focus for attacking is kinda crap, unless you put it on something that can lock more than one ship at a time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

overdesigned posted:

Played a round against a guy proxy-ing the C-3PO card from the upcoming Tantive IV pack today. Hoo boy.

Upcoming Tantive IV pack? I guess that means my FLGS shouldn't have sold it to me just yet :v: I'll post more about it when I get home in about an hour if you guys want some juicy details.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Leo Showers posted:

I'd like to see it, that's for sure. I think it :airquote:releases:airquote: in a couple days, I think from memory the 23rd of May or something. I guess the CR90 is going to be pretty powerful and probably have much more of an impact compared to the GR75.

Also I'd like to know about the campaign that comes with it.

I'm a terrible person and completely forgot to post in my hype with unpacking it the other day :v:
C3PO is gimmicky in my opinion. If you're lucky with guesses then that's cool, if you always guess 0 then you're guaranteed one evade at least, which is kinda cool. The quadguns are cool though, and you'd never want to shoot turbolasers at anything with more than 2 evade dice for obvious reasons. The main gun alone is 3-5 range so enemies are forever getting +1 evade against it. It's a pretty cool ship but it has a craaazy huge points cost (50 for the fore, 40 for the aft)

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Placed second in my local tourney tonight. Running the following:

Wedge Antilles (29)
-Outmaneuver (3)

Corran Horn (35)
-Fire Control System (2)
-Marksmanship (3)
-Shield Upgrade (4)

Airen Cracken (19)
-Veteran Instincts (1)
-Shield Upgrade (4)

I must say, I really like using Wedge as a flanker with Outmaneuver. He either gets ignored and tears enemy ships to bits or the thought of -2 evade dice scares the hell out of the enemy so they mess up their ship positioning to mitigate his damage potential.
First time using Corran and he won me the first round with a last turn Marksmanship double-tap, which was awesome. Airen turned him into a monster with the free action (Marksman for damage, free target lock with Airen, re-aquire target lock with Fire Control and double-tap again for two rerollable marksman volleys).

I didn't get much use out of putting actions onto Wedge so next time I might drop VI and swap the shield upgrade on Corran for R2.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

So I take it that it's entirely within the rules to say '0' for C3PO's ability so you're guaranteed one evade? When I first looked at the card I thought it was a cool gimmick, but always getting one evade is pretty drat good.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

One shot is laughable, but Kyle Katarn can be a turret-gunning, focus-allocating machine. Given it'll be 2 turns of maneuvers before anything is in range, you'll be sitting on a stack of 4-6 focus by the time you need to start handing it out to your heavy hitters. Wedge being able to reroll with Target Lock and have a focus spare without using PtL is great, and the turret on a HWK is pretty mean in it's own right.

Not an auto-include in any right, but it can be more than dead weight.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

As I said, you're usually sitting on 4-6 by the time the action starts, and even if you're firing the blaster each turn the stack is still growing. If you're using them for defense/offense/gifting them to other ships it starts depleting though, and makes the enemy have the tough choice of 'shoot the support ship with a huge stack Focus or kill off the other stuff while he blasts us'.

For added fun and gimmicks, pair him with Airen Cracken and have it generate 4 focus a turn :getin:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Cant do the same action twice

Oh drat, there goes that plan. I can see how abusable the daisy-chain of Focus could be with that setup.

I was thinking of giving this list a try in the coming weeks; it's been a while since I've brought out a Y-wing.

Gold Squadron Pilot/Y-Wing (18)
R5 Astromech (1)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Corran Horn/E-Wing (35)
R2-D2 (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Wedge Antilles/X-Wing (29)
Outmaneuver (3)

I have been eyeing off B-wings lately, but I've fallen in love with Corran and Outmaneuvering Wedge. I figure that the Y-wing will make it a lot easier for me to get in positions where the enemy is at -2 evade dice, and Corran is just plain incredible with FCS and Marksmanship.
What are the popular B-wing loadouts?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Team games where guys control individual ships and confer on tactics is surprisingly fun.

This right here, I love playing big multiplayer games. I'm trying to arrange with a few other guys who play in my area to do a stupid, gimmicky large-scale reeactment of the Hoth evacuation, using two Tantives protecting an pair of Rebel Transports. It gives me a reason to actually field both ships (which have not seen the table at all so far).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Every game has some builds more powerful than others, or builds that directly counter certain others. This new copilot everyone's talking about has sole solid potential to break the backs of TIE swarms which have always been a strong list.

Just grab the ships you think are cool and dive on in, you'll quickly discover some combos and lists that you enjoy playing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The Gate posted:

Says the faction with Dash "Asteroids are Haaaaard" Rendar. :colbert:

Sounds like this scruffy nerfherder is a little jealous that the Empire don't have any Dash-ing smugglers working for them. :smug:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tippis posted:

P-lay? What's that strange word you're using?

30 seconds of Google research says that thing that people do with their plastic spaceships when they have friends. Why would anyone want to willingly subject themselves to people? :stonk:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I've never really thought of this until now, but is it possible for a YT-1300 to abuse both C3PO and Expose? If so, :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That's where pilots like Cracken come in handy. It'd be a fun gimmick, but I'm too much of a fan of Corran+Marksmanship and Wedge+Outmaneuver to be able to drop a Falcon lately.

• Locked thread