Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Don’t forget the lice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The iron law of daycare illness is that if you ever take a vacation day off work for personal use, you will use at least as much sick leave in the following days.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
I don't really understand how families take any vacation trips before your kids are all in kindergarten or older. You lose all your sick/PTO to parental leave because at least one of your jobs doesn't have any paid parental leave (my job only got 1-2 paid months a year after my son was born). Then you have to save it up for the next kid and/or your kid getting sick. And you're broke from the ton of additional new costs from a young child...daycare, medical costs, baby supplies, etc. I see folks on social media post about big vacations with their little ones, or how you should travel when they're infants because it's supposed to be easier. And it doesn't make sense to me because we were broke after parental leave.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
My 2yo has started screaming "all done crying!" Over and over during most crying episodes. Funny how we _all_ wish it were true including her!

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

nachos posted:

Don’t forget the lice

Once my eldest started school I was relieved that we were officially out of the daycare illness stage, but it's just been replaced by lice and worms

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
….w-worms??

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I don't really understand how families take any vacation trips before your kids are all in kindergarten or older. You lose all your sick/PTO to parental leave because at least one of your jobs doesn't have any paid parental leave (my job only got 1-2 paid months a year after my son was born). Then you have to save it up for the next kid and/or your kid getting sick. And you're broke from the ton of additional new costs from a young child...daycare, medical costs, baby supplies, etc. I see folks on social media post about big vacations with their little ones, or how you should travel when they're infants because it's supposed to be easier. And it doesn't make sense to me because we were broke after parental leave.

We have OK leave and also state-sponsored leave :wrongcity: so we do better financially and time wise before the kid goes to day care. Trying to get him to see all the relatives before that.

But like social media is fake and or people who make a ton of money are bragging on it.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I traveled with both my kids as babies and toddlers. Some jobs have better leave policies, even if in the US the overall situation is a disaster. I have flexible work and can work remotely too, so that helps - we could fly to see family and they could enjoy the kids and I could still work.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we also took the paid leave that :wrongcity: provides and took a short trip to a cheap country (portugal) and it worked out fine, my wife is the queen of getting free poo poo from other moms or via marketplace though so we didn't have to buy much

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

My child is very upset that eclipse day is over and the next one isn’t until she’s a grownup

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nachos posted:

My child is very upset that eclipse day is over and the next one isn’t until she’s a grownup

take her to iceland in two years!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wife: Yeah some nice parent gave me a box of eclipse glasses so I was able to give all the teachers a break to take a look, and I took the Pre-K classes out in groups to take a look as well.

Me: Oh that's cool, I guess you didn't need all those extra glasses I gave you then.

Wife: ...

Me: ...

Wife: Idiot

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My 5yo has been interested in the origin of animals recently. Questions like "what was the first animal," "where did birds come from," "did monkeys turn into humans," etc. Also recently, there's been a lot of Jesus talk around the community for Easter - we live in a Christian area, so it's unavoidable. Today, my son told me proudly, "Jesus was the first monkey. Before Jesus, there were only gorillas." I'm not sure what got conflated or how, but it sounds right to me.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
One loving week out from my second kid being due and I finally got my leave confirmation.

I threw the cat among the pigeons when I realized I was entitled to 6 paid weeks in addition to any other leave or government benefit and went to claim it.
Things I was told:
You're the dad so you don't get it, it's for mothers only (the wording in our contract is unambiguous in that it is not gender dependent and also includes adoption or becoming a caregiver)
You didn't let us know in time (I had written receipts telling people 5 months ago)
We can't cover you for a block that long ( it's between the courses I teach, zero effect on daily ops)

I'm the local union rep which was handy, it was a hair away from going to employment court when our head HR lady got wind of it all and lost her poo poo.
Just so much loving stress I didn't need.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dismas posted:

Any advice or guesses for why our 6 month old refuses to nap for more than 30 minutes at home, but does just fine sleeping longer at daycare? The room is dark (as it is at daycare). She sleeps fine at night.

A while ago, but what do the daycare teachers do if a kid wakes up? Do they do some kind of sleep trainy deal? And what are the meal timings like?

Maybe your kid just knows you’ll for sure 100% get them up if they cry, plus she’s more used to napping at daycare vs at home.

Like 100% of her nighttime sleeps are at home, but if you do daycare 5 days a week then only 40% of her daytime naps are at home.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Not to brag but I'm the coolest person my kid knows.

I'm sure that will never change or anything.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Eeyo posted:

A while ago, but what do the daycare teachers do if a kid wakes up? Do they do some kind of sleep trainy deal? And what are the meal timings like?

Maybe your kid just knows you’ll for sure 100% get them up if they cry, plus she’s more used to napping at daycare vs at home.

Like 100% of her nighttime sleeps are at home, but if you do daycare 5 days a week then only 40% of her daytime naps are at home.

Yeah, turns out what we thought they did wasn’t what they were doing (just an erroneous assumption). So we’re mimicking their procedure and she took a 2.5 hour nap this afternoon (partially maybe because she’s getting over a cold, but whatever!)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
4 yr old has discovered Zaboomafoo and I’m not sure if I’m in hell or not. I definitely feel super, super old now.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

dismas posted:

Yeah, turns out what we thought they did wasn’t what they were doing (just an erroneous assumption). So we’re mimicking their procedure and she took a 2.5 hour nap this afternoon (partially maybe because she’s getting over a cold, but whatever!)

….what did they do? I have a 4 month old who naps for 30 minutes 99% of the time.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

nachos posted:

….what did they do? I have a 4 month old who naps for 30 minutes 99% of the time.

They rock her back to sleep. We haven’t been doing that for sleep training reasons but apparently doing it for a nap hasn’t hosed up her overnights so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Did any of your toddlers bite you? My 15 month old would do it occasionally but he’s really gone crazy with it today. Biting my wife several times tonight while they were playing.

He’s not talking yet so there’s not much we can do I guess.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Sundae posted:

4 yr old has discovered Zaboomafoo and I’m not sure if I’m in hell or not. I definitely feel super, super old now.

There's a ton of Wild Kratts episodes too, and games on PBS kids website.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Eeyo posted:

Did any of your toddlers bite you? My 15 month old would do it occasionally but he’s really gone crazy with it today. Biting my wife several times tonight while they were playing.

He’s not talking yet so there’s not much we can do I guess.

My daughter did that for awhile and it was the worst; it even happened at daycare once.

Eventually I started making it a point to do an “ouch!” face when she did it, and saying it hurt and wasn’t nice. She stopped pretty shortly after.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I just successfully pulled off an old trick and I’m proud of myself and want to share it.

Kid was melting down. I kept telling him that he could do whatever he wanted, but he wasn’t allowed to smile. I don’t want to see him smiling. Absolutely not allowed to smile. He couldn’t smile. No smiling here. We’re a no smiling house.

Result: :D

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

Man I fuckin loved Zaboomafoo as a kid. We’ll see if the fond memories hold up when the kid finds it.

A petting zoo owner at a festival made me feel old when I called the lemur zaboomafoo because apparently younger people know lemurs from the Madagascar movies.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
From PYF:

Liquid Chicken posted:

Child care circa 1969.

Is it bad if I look at that and go :hmmyes: My main reaction is ew public park trash cans have got to be super gross, but if I lysol it first . . . . .

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's amazing how hard having one kid is. Then how hard having two kids is. Then how easy going back to one kid is.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
All three were snippy, messing with each other, daughter was going down the path of a lovely mood the rest of the evening, etc before dinner.

I somehow magically turned the evening around with a short speech at the dinner table, they all played together nicely the rest of the evening. Sometimes it’s nice to feel like you got this parenting thing figured out in the moment.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

From PYF:

Is it bad if I look at that and go :hmmyes: My main reaction is ew public park trash cans have got to be super gross, but if I lysol it first . . . . .

Nah, we've got a pet carrier that even the 8yo can squish into. There's times when I find myself looking in its direction.

devmd01 posted:

All three were snippy, messing with each other, daughter was going down the path of a lovely mood the rest of the evening, etc before dinner.

I somehow magically turned the evening around with a short speech at the dinner table, they all played together nicely the rest of the evening. Sometimes it’s nice to feel like you got this parenting thing figured out in the moment.

I'm sure the speech was to do with what was happening at the moment but the mental image of delivering Marc Antony's Eulogy from Julius Caesar randomly at the dinner table is much funnier.

"Behave kids, otherwise there's a lot more where that came from."

kazz
Feb 27, 2007

Black Bean has a tendency to stare and likes to hide.

Elissimpark posted:

I'm sure the speech was to do with what was happening at the moment but the mental image of delivering Marc Antony's Eulogy from Julius Caesar randomly at the dinner table is much funnier.

"Behave kids, otherwise there's a lot more where that came from."
That’s literally what my dad did when we were kids. It caused a lot of dissociating at the dinner table.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Son: got somethin on my hand

[holds up hand globby with more yogurt than the container held]

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Long post incoming: I’m curious about people’s experiences when it comes to relationships and kids/babies after a divorce. It’s been on my mind a lot recently because my new-ish relationship is going great, and he’s amazing with my kids and they adore him. If you asked me a year ago if I would ever get remarried or consider having a third baby, it would have been a very hard “no way.” But now…. Well, I would consider it.

Since my POS ex left right before my second kid was born, I didn’t get to enjoy his infancy, or really his first year, at all. I barely remember a lot of it. I feel robbed of having that experience, and also robbed of the chance to decide whether or not it would be my last baby, it felt like it had been decided for me.

I love the idea of having another baby, but my number one hang-up has to do with my two existing kids, and that they have to spend every other weekend with their dad. I find myself not wanting to have another child with anyone, ever, because they have to leave, and the hypothetical third child would stay home. I know that this issue is, in the span of a lifetime, relatively short-lived, but even when they are older there will be that other-dad dynamic.

Also money is tight with two kids, adding a third seems like a very irresponsible financial decision. If my boyfriend moved in and took half the mortgage/bills, that would make a big difference, but still, I don’t know how people who make what I make can swing it with more than two kids! I want to give my existing kids a really good childhood, which includes summer camps, hobbies, extracurriculars, etc. It feels like adding a third would take away from their opportunities.

But then I think about holding a sweet little baby, actually getting to enjoy them when they are so little, and sharing that experience with someone who actually gives a poo poo….

Long story short, just looking for thoughts on step/blended family dynamics.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Don't make a lifetime decision that will substantially affect your current kids for something you feel you missed out on. That only lasts for one to two years and prioritizes your what if rather than your and yours kids now. Focus yourself on the joys your kids experience currently rather than thinking back to what ifs from when they were one to two.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’m wrestling with the same thing. I could have another one. I can even afford another one. But do I want another one that will be gone with dad? Do I want one who CAN’T be gone with dad? I don’t have a good answer for you, except that it doesn’t have a straightforward answer.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My 3 year old just wore underpants to school for two days straight with only 1 accident, and then today he pooped in the potty for the first time. Red letter day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our 3yo has always been picky but it’s been turned up to 11 this week. The armchair psychologist in me thinks it’s a reaction to the surgery - first there was the month of staying home to avoid sickness, then you get handed to a strange doctor with a candy gas mask before waking up in a hospital bed and spending a day there, then this week has mommy and daddy shutting down any physical playing until the post-op checkup. Food is the main outlet for asserting control.

Hopefully getting back to normal life helps. We can’t lose eggs or chicken strips as dinner options forever.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

space uncle posted:

My 3 year old just wore underpants to school for two days straight with only 1 accident, and then today he pooped in the potty for the first time. Red letter day.

Congratulations. We've just gone through this with our 3yo. Something just clicked in his head and we haven't had nappies (except at night) or accidents for a couple weeks.

I am so over nappies. One kid to go.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Elissimpark posted:

Congratulations. We've just gone through this with our 3yo. Something just clicked in his head and we haven't had nappies (except at night) or accidents for a couple weeks.

I am so over nappies. One kid to go.

It truly is astounding how it just clicks one day. Felt like the day was never coming with our toddler, and the pooping situation was a nightmare to deal with at night (going in pull-ups over...and over...and over...) and then one day he decided he wanted to use his toilet and that was that.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

illcendiary posted:

It truly is astounding how it just clicks one day. Felt like the day was never coming with our toddler, and the pooping situation was a nightmare to deal with at night (going in pull-ups over...and over...and over...) and then one day he decided he wanted to use his toilet and that was that.

Exactly, he’s been fighting potty training all year long. Even yesterday he started crying when I put him on the potty to poop and asked for a pull up. I gave him one. Then I told him I needed to poop so we could go together, which we did. So much bonding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, I'm all charged up! Cuz I'm!

I'm

I'm...

I'm!!

I'm

I'm I'm