Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
When it happened to me I just replied in a nonchalant way: yeah, they did that last century (let babies cry), but there's been, y'know, studies and stuff since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

Yeah, I know a couple of women who found the manual more useful than their electric pumps. I didn't have much success with manual and the one I had is now off the market, so I have no recommendation.

I was starting to think I am a freak. I get 30% more milk in 30% less time with a manual than a double electric I have an Avent manual one.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello thread,
My husband just told me I am a bad mother.
This December, we had one of those calendars where each day (evening in our case) you open a window and you get a chocolate, my 2yo had a blast. Now, my obese MIL arrived with tons of cookies and I am not so happy that cookies is the first thing that my kid eats in the morning. My husband thus accused me of being a bad mother for spoiling the fun. He's also overweight. His aunt is morbidly obese an her legs open up due to diabetes. I don't want my kids to turn up like his side of the family in case they got the fat genes. I am slender but I eat normally, occasionnally pigging out on fast food. How bad of a mother am I? MIL is staying 3 weeks. Kiddo is getting chocolate cake for birthday (it's ok for me, we'll get great pictures to shame him in his adulthood). I am freaking out about the 3 weeks of sweets, and being called a bad mother.

Also MIL wears tons of perfume (actually the perfume wears her) and makes me feel dizzy and my husband says I am imagining it. Can perfume be dangerous for a 4 months old? She uses up a 60ml (2 fl oz) bottle in 1 to 2 weeks.

randomfuss fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 24, 2012

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello,

the MIL + sweets issue solved itself since I managed to obtain that meal comes first (dessert included), then cookies. I think a couple of times I was breastfeeding the baby and she (or my husband) gave my kid cookies on a empty stomach.

But: MIL's herpes labialis blossomed! And she is a pig! She touches her mouth all the time and then touches other people's food (especially the kid's). She said she's paying attention to what she does, but hey if you are a person who cannot resist touching a thing not even when you just have to point at it (like your teeth)... For her, being clean means using lots of products that smell (thus, I am dirty). For me, it means use water and mild soap and don't touch stuff. Is getting herpes even safe for a 5 months old baby or does it lead to brain damage and death like for newborns? I had to be tested during my pregnancy because she was around, and a pig, and I never had it nor got it. Faces are gross. I never touched faces.

I was planning on starting solids next week (I know it's a bit early, but I am 10lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight because of the breastfeeding and baby steals from my plate), but since she will sure touch baby's food, I'll stick with the boob, where she just stares.

Another question: how anal are you about your kids using a fork? Mine is 2 years old, and can use a fork but sometimes prefers his hands. When he does, I just ask him if he wouldn't prefer a fork. My MIL even yells at him when he eats rice with his hands (and of course tell her to stop it and ask my kid to eat with his feet instead but he does not comply) and tries to correct him if he uses his fork with his left hand (the hand of the devil? She's atheist). I know I am lax. Is this the norm today?

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

Ansiktsburk posted:

My husband and I are attempting to raise him bilingually. Since birth, my husband has spoken to Devin primarily in Russian, which is my husband's native language. We live in the US, near where I was born and raised and where most of my family lives, so we spend a lot of time with them and our son is exposed to tons of English. I try to speak to him in both languages as I am able, but most of what I know is very general rather than pertaining to babies/toddlers and their interests--I don't really know the words for different toys or any Russian games or anything like that. My husband skypes with his parents a couple times a week so they can talk to Devin and they will be arriving in 10 days for their first visit since his birth. They'll be bringing some Russian books to add to the few we have as well as some DVDs, but we're worried that that's not enough exposure.

Has anyone else here been there and done that? I was wondering if anyone might have ideas for how to increase exposure. Ideally, of course, we'd like to raise him into fluency with both languages and no accent in either, but he spends the vast majority of his time with me (I'm a stay-at-home mom for now) and my shoddy Russian with its big rear end American accent isn't the best starting point. I was thinking about dragging out my old Russian textbooks when he's a bit older and getting ideas from there, but I'm coming up dry when trying to think of what else we could do to give him a good, solid base in the language now to build from in the future.

At his 9 month checkup, Devin's pediatrician did notice that his language development is delayed and had immediately realized it was because he was hearing two languages in the home, so hopefully that's a good sign. He says Mama and Papa, but those are used in both English and Russian so we're waiting to see if he will learn a word that is distinctly one or the other language and which will be first. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? We would be forever grateful for any suggestions.

We are raising our kids 4-lingually. Two languages at home + a bilingual daycare (French + German). Our older is 26 months and does not build long sentences yet. French is his dominant language (he says most of the words in it) because it is our "lingua franca" at home and most of the kids in daycare speak French. He understands all the four languages (obeys to orders, points at objects). We have several friends whose kids are raised with 3 languages, my wisdom comes from their experience, too.

For exposure, it is important that one person always speaks to him the same language (even if your kid answers you in another language, you have to insist). If you don't, it's easier for them to mix and as they realize that you understand several languages, they'll just be lazy and use one (and generalize that to everybody). Sometimes plurilingual kids stutter -- it is usually just a phase. At that point it is imperative that you keep one language per person, or the phase will last longer.

Having grandparents bring books is a great idea.

Expect some delays and development by jumps.

In daycare at the beginning the teachers did not want to add German for fear of my kid's head exploding or something, but in 3 months they saw it is just fine.

Our pediatrician is also raising his kids multilingual so he knows that the usual rules for language development do not apply. 9 months? My kid would not even say mama or papa. Nobody cared.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello thread.

My 1 year old wakes up at night. Every two loving hours. 1am, 3am, 5am. He stands up and screams. Sometimes, he just wants to be hold. For one hour. Sometimes, milk will put him right back to sleep. Any help? We've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now (before, he would wake up and scream every 4 hours). I know it will be over sometimes, but I have to wake up at 6 to go to work, and even if I can run on 4 hours of sleep a night, being waked up every 2 hours just does not do it.

He has his own room but usually at 3am when we go in we just collapse. He's weaned. He's a lovely child during the day, eats well and is of average wight/length.

Thanks for any advice, we'll try anything that is not CIO (we just can't).

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
He's not teething. He already has 6 teeth. They came out in 2 batches and he would be miserable all day. He also had a fever. Now he just wakes up at night and screams, not at all the same symptoms.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
He may be close to walking as your description pretty matches the behavior. But our first has been close to walking for 3 months (but instead of waking up every 2 hours he would wake us all at 5). I don't know how we can survive 3 months of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

If you don't care about birthday parties, it's a great excuse to blow off having to organize anything, since most people can't make it anyway.

Dont't do that when they're over 2 or 3. Kids do care about birthday parties and they'll remember all their life that they had none but the other kids had. I'd move the party to some more appropriate day.