Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I started working on a full on plex collection populated with kids TV, mostly older stuff like the magic school bus and bill nye but quickly just leaned into the pbs kids app which has enough episodes of everything current to keep both the 6 and 3 year old occupied when its screen time, and a UI that's easily navigable for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Yeah I do agree with you on that. What my kid and I imagine most kids want is a big bucket of assorted bricks to go wild on, but I do acknowledge that's not how you make money as as a company. It's annoying. Too many super specific specialty pieces to just buy a bunch of sets and throw them all in a bucket. There's also a lot of pressure to not disassemble sets or mix sets because then you'll never be able to actually reassemble it. My little man just wants to build a big square house and I don't want to have to supervise building a rocket ship because that's what we're being told we have to do.

The best I've figured out are a few sets of these things but it's still too many obscure specialty pieces and not enough bog standard 2x4 bricks.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Classic...5&sr=8-100&th=1

if you're fine with used, check bricklink

https://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&colorID=5&itemID=264&sz=10&searchSort=P

You can find people selling lots of 50+ used for ~5c per brick, new lego in the box usually works out to 7c piece, and 2x4s direct from lego are 18-20c each.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Is there an agreed upon time to start swimming lessons for infants/toddlers?

We live near the ocean, and I absolutely loved the beach growing up, and still do. I’d like to make sure my son has all the advantages of learning to swim that he can, so he can enjoy the beach safely as well. (If he chooses to).

most swim programs around here will take them as early as 6 months if you do it as a parent-kid activity to get them used to being underwater and how to blow bubbles, but not until 3 as a solo lesson.

We had our kids in our pool before 1, and my almost-3-year-old can swim ~10 feet without help at this point.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

King Hong Kong posted:

I also hate the Berenstain Bears book where they put all the junk food in the freezer. How does that make any sense?

I had all my barenstain bears books from my own childhood and that was one of the few we didn't put on the shelves, most of them hold up pretty well and have no glaring inappropriateness from being 40 years old.

Getting a new sibling chat- Daniel tiger season two's story arc is a new baby coming to the family and does an excellent job describing the changes that will happen when a family grows including new emotions for the big-sibling-to-be.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did your older kid really wipe herself at 3? I’m getting the impression from other parents that we shouldn’t expect a proper wipe to happen until they’re about 5-6. As in, a poop wipe, that is. My 5-year old is still calling for us to do it, so are we behind the curve on this?

5 is when we cut ours off from wipe help, we reminded her for the month or so before and we stopped doing it for the most part in the last weeks, just doing checks and having her try again as many times as needed in a very matter of fact way. Just had to be OK with the number of flushes it took sometimes.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
my 6 and 3 year olds have their own tablets, but they're locked down with apple configurator to only the PBS kids video/game apps, the sago mini school/world apps and the 3YO also has a a few standalone daniel tiger apps, so I don't need to worry about what they're doing. As for time, it's really loosey goosey, some weeks my wife and I are just drained so there's a lot of it. Other weeks we have the energy to be engaging and active and we might go days without screen time.

In conclusion, parenting is a land of contrasts.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doll House Ghost posted:

Someone could have warned me about the last story in "The House at Pooh Corner". Christopher Robin saying wistful goodbyes to Pooh and leaving Hundred Acre Wood now that he has grown older is not the thing to read as a bedtime story when your toddler is starting daycare the next day.

Just add Kenny Loggins' Return to Pooh Corner to the bedtime song set list

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
50/50 split here. Only reason I can think of is that they didn't want to conflict with a party on a Saturday, which would have been the standard day so Sunday might draw more?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
To quote John candy from home alone "kids are resilient"

They are amazingly adept at understanding that mistakes can be made, emotions exist, and that you still care and love them.

I think that's why second kids have the potential to be easier emotionally, you realize it's OK to make an honest mistake (to a point) and that you're not ruining your relationship or scarring the kid.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

Oh god when my kid was 3 he once buried his favorite car in the snow in a relative's backyard. It took two adults over a half hour to find it and he cried the whole time. When we got home I ordered 2 copies of the same car to keep on deck in case something ever happened to it again. In true 3 year old fashion, it was no longer his favorite car shortly afterwards.

We had a backup stuffed animal for my first's favorite for exactly this reason.

The daycare lost the first one, and we miraculously "found it" at home so she could have it to sleep with. A week later the daycare finds it and rather than contacting us, they just give it to her and then she had two, and couldn't sleep without both foxy and foxy's twin sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kid 1 was 2 weeks done and no more accidents.

Kid 2 who we started at the same age, with the same strategy (thanks oh crap!) took almost a full year to figure out when to listen to their body. We just had many months of using a timer and having a potty sit every 90 min. They definitely protested that they had to pee while actively peeing in their pants.