Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our pediatrician gave us some Alimentum samples for our 4 month old because he wouldn't stop spitting up since the day he was born. We're only one day in but it's already worked wonders and we've had a happy baby with no vomiting so I have a feeling we're going to stay on it. We've had the best results out of the 4 formulas we've tried so far.

I'm not really happy considering how loving expensive the stuff is. So does anyone have experience with buying Alimentum and the cheapest way to get your hands on it? I haven't shopped around locally for it yet, but in the past Amazon prices have been just as good as everything else and it's...disgustingly expensive on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Spadoink posted:

For everyone formula feeding, make sure to sign up with any manufacturer's baby clubs. We used Similac and every few weeks they'd mail us manufacturer's coupons for $5, $10 or $15, and sometimes premium samples (a mini tin of powder formula, bottles of premix). Probably saved us over a hundred during our year of formula.

We bought one tub of powder for when the samples the doctor gave us ran out. Not only did I sign up for those rewards, but so did my in-laws, and they're funneling all those sweet coupons to us. Target also let us combine that $15 check with a manufacture coupon, so it wasn't TOO bad.

1up posted:

Allegedly you can see if your dr will write you a prescription for hypoallergenic formulas like Alimentum and some insurances will cover it. Allegedly.

We're idiots who waited to try the Alimentum until our doctor went on vacation. Luckily a friend is a different pediatrician in the same office, and she said that they have fighting insurance down to a science. So once our doctor comes back from vacation this week, we'll give her a call and start the ball rolling.

Otherwise, I guess I'll go the subscribe from amazon route and pick up as much overtime as possible.

Dear god Alimentum smells terrible though. I took a sniff of the powder and gagged. Now that smell is coming from the little one's pores and he just always smells terrible no matter how much we bathe him. My wife took a taste and she says it tastes as bad as it smells. It's clear the baby doesn't like it either, but the tide of vomit stopped instantly so he's stuck with it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We had the same problem going from a swaddle to a sleep sack. It took him about 3 days to figure it out on his own.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I asked my wife (who works in early education) and her answer was, it's never too early to start and it doesn't end until their mid 30s so you better get used to it.

Good luck!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
baby clothes talk:

We have a pair of pants that he still fits in that are 0-3, but we also put all of our 3-6 in storage and we're fully in 6 month clothes now, at 4 months old.

Everyone talks about diapers and formula being money sinks but clothes are where the real financial black hole is. Everyone's all happy to give you newborn and 0-3 stuff for the shower but we didn't have nearly enough after that, and nobody thinks to gift plain white onesies or pajamas. And just like mommy and daddy, if we're not going out today we like to lounge around in our comfy pajamas. Thank god my MIL is a shopaholic. All it takes is one mention of, oh we don't have enough 6 months clothes, and she shows up at our apartment the next day with an entire wardrobe until we're begging her to stop.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Last time we went to Walmart, they had nothing in 3-6. Not a drat thing.

For boys, at least. Plenty of girls 3-6, because girls get fun clothes. Boys get Dinosaurs and...not much else. And that's why we dress my son in dinosaurs all day every day. Dinosaurs are cool. Long live Dinosaurs.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

Garage sales are also great for baby clothes. The only new clothes I have were gifts, everything else I’ve bought at garage sales. I also went to a kid’s thrift store when they had a bag sale on their onesies and got 40 onesies for 10 bucks.

My 8 week old (how is she 8 weeks already?!) is busting at the seams in many of her 0-3 month clothes. It broke my heart to go from newborn to 0-3, and from size 1 to size 2 diapers, and when her hat with the bear ears didn’t fit on her head any more... I assume the heartbreak of them getting bigger never stops.

It never stops. It doesn't even slow down. When we finally bit the bullet and went from 0-3 to 3, we found the 3s were already getting tight around the legs. So we rushed to 3-6 and, although they were a bit baggy, we figured at least they'll last us for a bit.

That lasted about a month, now we're already in 6 months.

The worst is when you're saving a specific outfit for just the right occasion, then suddenly you missed your window and they no longer fit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

sheri posted:

This strikes me as a little odd....daycares should be used to dealing with big feelings and meltdowns in kids. Why are they calling you?

My wife is a daycare director, so I asked her. In her words, that's loving stupid.

You're right, it's the daycare's problem. At best she would call the parents and ask if there's anything the kid likes that would help, but for the most part they should be distracting the poo poo out of the kid.

2 year olds are easy to distract. Let's go outside, back inside, look at these toys, let's try some different teachers, okay back outside again. Keep them distracted so they forget to keep crying. Never in her 6 years of being a director has she ever sent home a child for missing their parents too much. If a particular kid is being too disruptive, she'll bring them into her office for some quality 1 on 1 time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
But dropping things on the floor is fun :ohdear:

Look how happy it makes the dog!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
For father's day, all I want is to be left the gently caress alone for a few hours. I hope I get it.

vacations: we're doing a big family vacation in December, with our baby who will be 11 months, along with our cousin who will have a 2.5 year old and an 11 month old.

The hope is that having 12 people on this trip will help ease the pain of dealing with a tiny poop monster since there will be always a pair of hands to hold him. I'm just worried about the flights, but we booked them during nap time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Toothpaste has an abrasive in it, so as a kid I never swallowed it for the same reason you don't want to swallow sand. In retrospect, I don't know what that reason is.

Wikipedia tells me that the Flouride in toothpaste can be toxic if you swallow too much of it, but since the dosage makes the poison, your kid will have to sit there and eat a year's worth of toothpaste in one go before they start having a problem.

So there is my reasoning to refute the *checks thread* exactly 0 people concerned about the issue.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I have learned that my son apparently cannot be trusted to brush his own hair. Puberty has made his thick straight hair into thick curly hair. Super curly, like when it is wet and straightens out it's almost to his shoulders, and up by his ears when dry. I rang up my brother who has the whitest of white boy fros, to get some tips on curly hair care, and we started the new regimen last night.

Anyway, this led me to discover, while blow drying his hair, that he apparently was not aware that you have to brush everything. Not just what you see in the mirror. And was working on a mat on the back of his head, hiding under his top layer of hair. That was fun to work out.

I have the thickest, curliest white boy fro. I really struggled to take care of it as a teenager so I can speak from experience. Obviously everyone's different, but I know what's worked for me. Full disclosure, we probably have very different hair, because my hair doesn't grow down to my shoulders. As it gets longer my fro gets bigger and taller, until my hair is getting caught in low hanging ceilings and I chop it off.

I never blew out or brushed my hair, because all that does is make it frizzy and ugly. The end goal is to rock those tight curls that makes all the girls and boys jealous. A brush will ruin that and turns my head into a giant goofy looking puff ball.

I have no idea why his hair is matting so badly since I've never had that problem. If I have to guess, he needs to use a lot more conditioner. I usually end up going through more conditioner than my wife, and make sure I work it through my fingers in the shower until I'm completely knot free. As soon as I get out, I put some sort of product in to stop it from getting frizzy while it's still wet. Usually some weak gel, or pomade. Right now I use hair moisturizer from Lush because it makes my hair super soft and I smell like roses. The moisturizer doesn't have any hold though, so I'll usually combine it with something else if I need it to last throughout the day. No towel drying. I go straight from the shower, to adding product, to shaping. Normally I'll shape it by pulling it back with my fingertips and let it naturally fall into place somewhere on the top of my head. The curls will naturally find their place as it dries.

On that topic, it's also a good time for him to learn to get the gently caress over himself about being embarrassed about doing things usually meant for girls. He's got hair that women around the world would kill for, but that means he should follow a woman's care regime. Get a hair cut at a beauty salon if you can't find a good barber, condition, and use plenty of product. Use the girly hair care products if you need to. He'll be the only boy in his class who knows what conditioner is, because for some baffling reason so many men don't bother with it. As a teen, I had a big problem with taking care of my hair properly for that reason. I needed to go to a hair salon to get it cut, but I was too embarrassed to be seen in there, so I wouldn't go often enough

Lastly, it's really, really important that he doesn't play with or touch his hair throughout the day. That's what will cause it to frizz up, become uneven, or knotted. This is the hardest part, because everyone will want to touch it.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 24, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
When we first brought baby home, he was squirming so much during a diaper change I actually had to walk away for a minute because I was getting dangerously frustrated. Just left him there, butt naked, poised to pee on the world.

Now, I really miss those days. Our 5 month old LOVES the changing table, so the second we put him down he starts kicking his feet like crazy. When you grab his ankles, he hip trusts and locks his legs together. And just when you think you're about to get that diaper on, he decides he must investigate something next to the changing pad and starts to roll over.

And I know it's only going to get worse from here.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Koivunen posted:

Did I pick a bad time to start the routine thing?

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions until it's been 3-4 days of a pattern. There's too many external influences, or sometimes things happen for no reason at all.

That being said, establishing a routine at 3 months is a very good idea, and doing it now will help you when the 4 month sleep regression hits. It's difficult to do proper sleep training at 3 months on the dot but it's doable, and even if you're not sleep training it's the perfect time to establish a bedtime routine. What's important is to maintain that routine no matter what happens.

We've had the same bedtime routine since 2.5 months and there's just no predicting what will happen. Sometimes he'll go straight down, sometimes he'll stay up for 2-3 more hours. Sometimes he wakes up for a night bottle at 2, sometimes it's 5. Usually he'll only take 2oz at 9PM then wake up as soon as we start falling asleep an hour or two later but then only take 3oz, then wake up at again at 2PM, take only a half bottle again, then wake up at 5am when I'm getting ready for work, force me to get my wife up to feed him because I don't have the time, where he'll suck down 5-6oz like he was starving and sleep until 9. But only go back to sleep if my wife gave up on sleep and committed to getting up for the day. Thanks baby. Yes I'm angry.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 16, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I didn't mind wasting formula when we could buy it from Costco, but now that I have to buy Alimentum out of pocket, it pains my heart every time I have to dump that liquid cheezit gold down the drain.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

One thing I do remember is the side hold, or as my wife called it then, the "dad hold."

we call that the daddy rock

On days when I'm particularly exhausted and my wife asks me to try daddy rock, I get really confused and think she wants me to play 80's classic rock music for the baby.

My brain no work good

e: I should probably answer for real though. Sleep training by 3 months is the earliest you can do it. It's hard, but doable. If you can successfully pull it off, it makes the 4 month sleep regression much less serious. The sleep regression is going to suck no matter what, but it'll make it more management.

The sleep regression is a problem because the baby starts developing additional sleep cycles that they never had before. So while the rest of us might wake up in the night, roll over, and go back to sleep and not remember a thing, the baby will wake up, have no idea what to do, and freak out. If your baby's sleep trained and knows how to put himself to sleep, there's a chance they'll just go back to sleep, or at the very least go down easier.

We ultimately failed the sleep training by that point, but it's still important to start establishing a routine at 3 months. It'll still help in the long run. Because we have an established routine, once our baby is asleep, he's down for the night, not counting night bottles. The hard part is actually getting him asleep.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 16, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alterian posted:

We are ordering our last Nutramigen shipment from Amazon. Our kid turns a year in a month.

Code PANTRY on Prime pantry and you get $10 off for prime day!

We recruited everybody we know to buy the a few bottles of alimentum off pantry, use the code, and we venmoed them the money. It's the cheapest way to get it, but you're limited in how much you can purchase at once.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Tamarillo posted:

I'd dump them no question based on attitude alone. Also one nappy change, what the hell.

In the state of New York that's a gross code violation and the regulating body would ream them up the rear end for such negligence.

This is clearly not new york, but I don't think being across the Atlantic makes kids need fewer diaper changes. It's simply not acceptable. Your daycare sucks rear end. Manipulative? What the hell. That's what kids that age do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

My boy would flail his legs, even swaddled, with such force that I swore he'd flop out of the bassinet like a fish. The force would also rotate him around and he'd end up in all manner of positions.

This is when we switched to sleep sacks. The last thing we wanted was him working his way out of the swaddle, and having that swaddle turn into a loose blanket in the bassinet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's exactly what we did as well. My wife sewed up a few sleep sacks (they look great), and they do a great job of keeping him warm while allowing enough movement for him to roll over without the risk of anything coming undone.

His favorite thing to do nowadays is to roll over onto his stomach, wake up, and scream because he can't roll himself back. Four month sleep regression is WONDERFUL. :suicide:

Then you get to do it again at 8 and 18 months!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pseudomonas posted:

I just had a moment of self doubt where i thought, maybe the loving professional person who has made their career out of caring for kids and knowing about their needs and development might know better than me.

Again, I can only speak for New York.

My wife has been a director for assorted day cares for the past 5 years and has built a reputation on being a fixer because there's some real bad poo poo out there due to sheer incompetence. There are tons of directors out there who are dumb as poo poo. The sad reality is that lovely centers succeed because they're cheap and convenient, and quality centers struggle because maybe the location isn't the greatest, or it's more expensive than the place down the road. You need to do your research, tour the center, ask lots of hard questions, look up their code violations and ask specific questions about certain violations. The director will HATE talking about those violations, does she remain professional and honest? Does she seem like the kind of person your want in charge of your baby if there's an emergency? Accidents will happen, children will get hurt for the dumbest reasons imaginable, your child will get sick. How does the director respond to those situations, and will she handle them correctly?

I don't mean to scare anyone away from daycare, because there's tons of great places out there. My wife only sees the worst because she gets called in when things hit rock bottom. But it's not a matter of picking the closest or cheapest place, and when it's bad, it's real bad. So don't be afraid to acknowledge that the place sucks rear end and leave. There are tons of god awful directors out there and they get away with it for so long because nobody holds them accountable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Once place my wife worked lost their license before she got hired because of something the previous director had done.

The short of it is that a young child was on the wrong playground meant for bigger kids, fell and hurt his arm. No report was filed, the parents weren't notified, they just threw some ice on it and went about their day while ignoring the kid's complaints. That night, the parents knew something was wrong, so they took him to the doctor where they found a spiral fracture. In childcare, a spiral fracture is indicative of abuse. So the parents contacted OCFS (the regulating body) who launched a full on investigation. An investigation that the director then refused to cooperate with, which just made her seem even more suspicious.

Eventually the truth came out and they found out he fell on the playground and no incident report was filed. The OCFS rep was pissed off and slammed the center with every punishment they could within their power. If they had just filed the incident report, they would've gotten a simple violation for the kid being on the wrong playground, and life would've went on.

The following week, a different parent found out that the director forged her signature on an incident report when her kid got a gash on her head. OCFS was called again, the building was shut down, the license was revoked, the director lost her job, and she was blackballed from ever working with children again.

The moral of this story is that if that director just told the truth the whole god drat thing could've been avoided. But instead of communicating what happened to parents, she tried to hide it. Accidents will happen, children will get hurt. All the care and supervision in the world can't prevent your child on tripping on nothing and cracking their head on a toy. Children are accident golems and will go out of their way to figure out the best way to hurt themselves. The important part is that you need to trust that director to take care of your child and respond in the correct way. It may make you upset that you got a call from the director saying your kid got cut and needs to be taken to the hospital for stitches, but just imagine if nothing was done, and you didn't find out until you showed up to pick up your kid?

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 19, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I feel your pain brother

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

like the dude upthread who said he say his baby's heartbeat and now his whole world changed?

that didn't happen to me. i saw it on the sonogram machine and just felt sad.

I always thought I wanted to be a father. Then my wife got knocked up accidentally. The day we found out, I felt sick. I couldn't function. I stayed up all night crying, then called out of work sick the next day so I could cry some more. It took me over a week before I could function like a human being again.

My wife's uterus is a toxic wasteland and we knew she'd have a hard time carrying a baby to term. I remember feeling actual disappointment the day we discovered the pregnancy was viable. Seeing his heartbeat for the first time terrified the poo poo out of me. Every day I prayed something bad would happen and she'd miscarry. I wanted that fetus to die. By some unfortunate miracle, my baby fought through that toxic wasteland and manged to thrive. The day my wife turned 37 weeks pregnant, she gave birth though a c-section. You know how people say that a man becomes a father the moment he first holds his baby? I got to hold my baby just a few minutes after he was born, even before my wife did. I felt nothing. I was numb to the whole thing. It brought me no joy whatsoever.

I'd like to say that everything changed and that I love my baby unconditionally now, but I'd be lying. He turns 6 months tomorrow and the best I can say is that I wish he wasn't around about 75% of the time. But I would never dream of hurting him, and I would be absolutely destroyed if he got hurt. He may not make me happy, but he gives my life purpose, and he gives me a reason to make a better person out myself. I have a responsibility as a parent to give him the best life I could manage to scrape up and I'm too proud to ever give him anything less than perfection.

These are all terrible things to say, and I feel like a terrible person vocalizing all this, but that's what I felt in my heart and I'm not embarrassed about it. What you're going through is okay. You're not alone, you're not the only one, and there's no shame in it. But I will say, that last 25% of the time? When I get home from work and he gives me a great big smile, when I find the one random thing that will make him laugh and I put him into hysterics for a half hour, when he just wakes up from a nap and stares at my face with his sleepy eyes, it's worth it. It's tough now, but life will return to normal after a while and I can go back to being a video game addicted goon. It's already gotten significantly easier.

As far as the sleeping thing...eh. You get used to it. There's no magic bullet because every child is different, and more importantly, every relationship is different. You'll find something that works for you, and things will get significantly better extremely quickly. Starting at about 3 months, our baby was reliably waking up only twice during the night for feedings. I took first shift, and my wife took the second. It doesn't even bother me anymore. We make it up by my wife being responsible for putting the baby to sleep while I go to bed early, before the baby even does. Since my wife hasn't gone back to work yet, she gets to sleep as long as the baby does. Before 3 months though, that was the loving wild west. But we made do. Most of the problems we had at that point were our fault as new parents having no loving clue what we were doing.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 21, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
And hey, worst case? Divorce your wife, move out of state, become a deadbeat dad. Send your child support checks and otherwise make believe the kid doesn't exist. Plenty of people do it all the time. If that's not an option, well, why not? It means you have something good in your life that's worth holding on to. Something more important to you than a months of no sleep.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I appreciate the sleeveless just so it's easier to put a sleeping baby in one without waking him up.

We got our dtap yesterday and, holy gently caress I'm so tired. Our baby spent the entire night screaming, and has been fussy all day. We're drugging him up with all the Tylenol allowed and it's just not enough.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

have you tried bolting a dildo to the bottom of the crib?

I already share my time, soon I'll be sharing my pizza crust.

This baby can have my vibrator when he pries it from my cold, dead rear end.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

We got our dtap yesterday and, holy gently caress I'm so tired. Our baby spent the entire night screaming, and has been fussy all day. We're drugging him up with all the Tylenol allowed and it's just not enough.

I finally got him to take his first full bottle today at 6pm. Then we gave him Tylenol for his fever and he immediately projectile vomited his entire stomach contents all over me. This is the second time he's done that today.

We're 99% sure it's the flavor of the Tylenol. He was happy with the grape, then he very visibly hated the dye free cherry flavor. I ran to CVS, got some more grape, and he gobbled it down like it was a treat with no problems.

I swear this baby needs the most inconvenient, specific, and expensive things in this life. Needs alimemtum liquid formula (the powder makes him vomit), can only use Pampers, everything else leaves marks on his rear end, we switched to water wipes because even the normal sensitive Pampers wipes made him break out in a rash. We have a prescription ointment for his dry, red, cracking ankles because lotion isn't enough. Now I can't even buy whatever Tylenol is on sale anymore. The easiest thing to deal with is the bog standard acid reflux.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It can also be difficult to transition a baby from boob to bottle, much in the same way that it's difficult to get a baby to breastfeed once they're started on bottles. Granted that's different from baby to baby, but at this point why even run the risk?

One month olds are big dummies who are happy to just exist, so I don't imagine it'll be hard to transition one to a new living space. I don't have experience in surrogacy, but I can say that at one month, by baby didn't care where he was or who was holding him, as long as his belly was full and he had a place sleep he was happy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

bomb posted:

Twins only woke me up once to eat between 12:00 and 7am last night

Here’s hoping it lasts 🤞

hahahahahahahaha

haha

ha

ehhhh

:smith:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The baby helmet is so loving adorable. You get customization options to make it super cute, and as a side effect, you don't have to worry about your baby cracking their head open when they're first learning to walk.

You know it's not your fault. Everyone's telling you it's not your fault. I'm telling you it's not your fault. I'm also saying that the head band is super funny and once you get used to it you won't care very much. After a while you'll even have some good laughs over it. I'm already laughing at the idea of you embarrassing your teenage daughter in front of her first boyfriend by showing pictures of her first birthday with a helmet on and gushing over how cute it was.

If that doesn't do it for you, then remember that at the end of the day this is just another stage in your baby's life. Just like your baby went through a stage of being an infant who just hung out all day, to watching the first time they smiled and laugh, learning to grab things, sit up on their own, someday she'll stop making GBS threads her pants, you'll look back on this as just another stage in her story and development as a child. That story is full of bumps (and flats :haw:) in the road. If this is the worst that can happen, I'd say that's a success for you as a parent. I promise that if you don't get pictures with that helmet, you're going to regret it years in the future because you essentially erased part of your child's story.

Just as a general for everyone, especially new parents, every baby has something. My baby has acid reflux and a milk allergy, I had jaundice, the same milk allergy, and a hernia. My brother had some pretty bad poo poo that I won't talk about. One of the kids my mom used to babysit had bowed legs. Doctors had to break her legs to re-set them in the right spot, and she had both legs in a cast for months. Her sister had scoliosis. One kid had a helmet and I really have to say, the helmet was not a big deal at all. It was also really cute and that kid loved throwing his head around on things with his new found superpower of head protection. There's something wrong at some point with every single baby and it's not your fault as a parent when that something comes up.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 31, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ben Nevis posted:

Like they literally can't be manipulative until a year old or something like that. Even after that it's a stretch. They're mostly pretty obvious. And they do cry a fair bit. Tantrums and whatnot are manipulative sure, but most of it is just that kids don't have the emotional calluses we do. Everything hits them harder.

Yup. At first it's just a matter of meeting their needs, and the only change is that they have more needs as time goes on (The boredom cry was a weird one to get used to).

Even once they're a toddler and they get old enough to throw tantrums, the vast majority of tantrums are due to communication problems, usually because they don't have the words needed to express themselves.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sarah posted:

Thanks everyone. I am feeling a lot better now. I am still going to call the NP and get in. I think it’s important to let her know that I’m feeling all this guilt because it’s definitely not normal.

Oh and I started looking at decorations. I just ordered a book of Little Baby Bum stickers. She loves little baby bum. :)

I asked my wife for her opinion and she goes, you know you can just take off the band for the baby's 1st birthday party for pictures?

I'm a little mad that I didn't think of the painfully obvious. It's true though, those bands don't have to be on 24/7. They're on most of the time, yes, but you can take them off if you need to.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Just curious - do your daycares provide lunch/snacks, or do you send your own?

Another FB group mom posted about packing her 14 month old's snack box and the way that everyone else chimed in made me realize that maybe it isn't the norm in that a daycare provides all food (except breastmilk, obvs)? I'm not always 100% thrilled with some of the food choices at mine, but honestly I don't care if he eats donut holes once a week if I means I don't have to worry about sending food yet

It depends from daycare to daycare.

There's a federal food program that provides food to daycares, but they need to meet certain nutritional requirements and it's a fair bit of administrative work. It also requires that that they have a kitchen and a cook on staff and all the permits and training you need to run a restaurant. It's free for the daycare though, so it's a good metric to see if they're any good or not. The only reason not to offer a free benefit like that is if your administration is a dumpster fire.

I understand why people would want to pack their kid's own food though. They could eat a fresh orange that you bought yourself, or they could eat orange slices from the day care that came out of a massive 5 pound can. So I guess the answer to your question is, it's pretty common, but it's up to you as a parent if you want to make use of it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BonoMan posted:

Which brings me to this question now that I think about it - our newest is 7 weeks old and definitely has some gas/digestive problems. Like he's always squirming and screaming until he shits/farts/burps/whatever. And it's all day because he basically cluster feeds all day.

We've taken him to the doctor and everything *seems* fine in terms of big picture stuff. He's definitely gaining weight (12 lbs at 7 weeks lol), poops and pees regularly and nothing in the poop/pee to alarm the pediatrician.

She suggested it *could* be an allergy to something my wife is eating but that there usually would be symptoms that showed up when they tested the poop. Just to see she's basically cut everything dairy and soy out of her diet to see (no good results just yet).

Gas drops don't really help for some reason and we just started probiotics (at our ped's request) two days ago so hopefully that helps.

She also thinks it might be over-producing/consumption of milk that might be causing
the problem.

Anybody have any advice/similar stories? It's driving my wife mad. He absolutely HAS to be held by her every second of the day except late at night when he finally deep sleeps. He feeds constantly and is also squirming/crying constantly. It's been tough. He's basically done it since he's been born.

This sounds similar to what we went though, just we had endless vomiting as well. It turned it to be a milk allergy combined with acid reflux, we switched to alimemtum and all of our problems went away overnight. My wife couldn't breastfeed so it was easy to just try random formula until we found something that worked.

Acid reflux will be accompanied by grunting, coughing, vomiting, poo poo like that, so that doesn't sound like it.

I'm convinced gas drops dont do poo poo. We tried that too but it didn't do anything.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I watched, so, so much TV when my son was a baby and I was home with him. I burned through series after series when he was that age. Working on a car sounds so much more productive and fun, quite frankly.

I blasted through all of game of thrones in about 2 weeks.

And now he goes out of his way to look at the TV so I have to turn it off and actually be a father and play with him :(

We're so loving tired. Our baby is only 6 months and just got his second tooth. He sleeps like poo poo to begin with, so now with the pain he's up every hour in the night screaming. Last night we got a bonus projectile vomit all over his crib at 3 in the morning too because some idiot (me) forgot to give him his acid reflux medicine before bed.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 15, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
There's 3 of us at work with babies and it's great when we have to collaborate. It always ends in a comedy of silly errors.

I also work a job of little consequence so it's okay if I'm terrible at it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

life is killing me posted:

AND FOR SOME loving REASON CAN'T HANDLE THE DISH WASHER

If you ask Kitchenaid they say that their attachments are top rack dishwasher safe.

Do not listen to Kitchenaid.

RIP my paddle attachement.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

The Fool posted:

Had the same thing happen, replaced with one of the attachments with the nylon coating and have had no dishwasher related issues with that one

e: like this: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-K45B-Coated-Flat-Beater/dp/B00005LD47

I own a 6 quart model so sadly that one doesn't really help me.

Unfortunately I haven't found a replacement paddle that is any good yet. I bought one with little rubber tips at the end so it can scrape the bowl better, but the whole thing is just a tiny bit too big so doesn't actually work. I even matched the model numbers and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't see why you all can't seem to find a suitable ointment for sale? I don't get how your pharmaceutical market works in that case. If they can sell it ready-made, they'll make money, so I would expect them to do so?

I can walk into a pharmacy here and ask for "that miracle cream for baby butts" and they'll hand me the right thing, ring me up and I'm out the door in two minutes without having to buy a Kitchen-aid to mix a gallon full of goop.

Triple Paste!

We also had a mysterious ankle rash too, which our doc gave us a prescription ointment for. This baby has my skin, in that it's complete poo poo.