Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I just bought some dinosaur bubble thing for my 5mo on a whim today from Target. He seemed to enjoy it when I used it on him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It may be worth doing a one-off professional carpet cleaning to make things as good as you can get them, especially if there's old stains.

As for on-going on carpet maintenance, my son has a strong gag reflex and frequently vomits during coughing fits and/or meltdowns. Two years ago I bought one of these on Prime Day. It's expensive now, but I've seen it for $128 or $99 even on sale. And yeah, it's a lifesaver when it comes to vomit or pee on carpets and upholstery. Good for puppy stains too.

Might look into getting one of those eventually. There’s this really nice run I wanted to buy that would seriously tie the living room together but I know that one of my dogs would pee all the time on it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Hopefully, you slept through the night as well and didn't wake up to phantom cries / worries about the lack of crying.

I wake up to phantom crying all the time lmfao. It’s nuts.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kecske posted:

But then there's those special times when he'll be out playing on his scooter, casually hop off and put his hands on his hips and poo poo himself without a care in the world.

Pure freedom

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

These days? "Let's traumatize some children" parts in movies are nothing new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUcuHUvI1UI

ETA: so many scenes from this one movie, drat I forgot half this stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOeK0Ig-H9g

How are you going to ignore this one?

https://youtu.be/-UfsEj7AOGI

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Fisher Price is gold standard for 0-2 year old music playing devices. The Kick and Play has the best track list of any device that played proprietary music.

I love the music on this thing. Wife and I sing the tracks all the time.

Found out some of those tracks are streaming also.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Think the kiddo started the teething process today? He’s 6mo, I don’t see anything there or anything but he’s chewing on his toys a little more. We have the one that looks like a mitten that he grabs on too and he’s started to gnaw on it a bit today.

Exciting stuff all around I suppose.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Koivunen posted:

Just throwing this out there but my daughter will come up with pains and illnesses because she wants to go to the doctor to get stickers/prizes. Fortunately we have had lots of positive experiences with doctors and urgent care visits and have a whole collection of stuffed animals from that, and my daughter will do anything for a sticker.

Kids loving love stickers.

When I worked at Disney World for a while one of the greatest things we could do for a crying kid was give them a Mickey sticker. I would take a ton of them and keep them in my pockets. It worked every single time lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly rn I can’t even think about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so with the teething process is it normal for his cheeks to get rosy? He looks insanely cute but I just want to be sure it’s not something I should be worried about or what.

Wife is making a pediatrician appointment anyways but I figured I’d ask here.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

teething can cause a ton of drooling which can irritate cheeks and turn them red, and also the mild fever teething causes can turn cheeks red. i would keep an eye on it and try some aquafor or other ointment to soothe the rash.

The amount of drool is nuts lol, thanks for the info.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Eeyo posted:

My boy (about 3.5 months) has taken a step back in feeding and it’s super annoying. He keeps on doing this thing where he’ll eat half of his bottle, then get disinterested. We babble together a bit then he starts fussing. Only after he’s had a good cry will he finish the rest of the bottle.

Just two weeks ago he was perfect! Finishing every bottle really quick and then being content until the next feeding.

I’m tempted to try and up the nipple size again. We started him on the Brown’s level 2 pretty early, and they say “6 month+” for the next size.

Mine did the same thing around that time, he's still on the level 1 nipple at 7 months though. Sometimes I'll bring out the level 2 and it'll work for a bottle or so but then it's just not happening.

Hell, maybe I'll bring it out again today for funsies.

Anyways yeah, the gremlin used to just not be super interested in the bottle but now he gets really into it and will even open his mouth to let you give it to him. Sometimes he even tries to grab the bottle himself but he can't hold anything yet really. Soon though little guy.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m a doonahead, it’s just a nifty stroller and I like the size.

Wife and I even found the trike they made for cheap and I look forward to using that for the gremlin once he’s able to sit down on it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Gremlin had his first PT session to help with his torticollis and it didn't go as bad as I thought it was going to go. The lady was super nice with him and he took to her immediately. She taught my wife and I some easier ways of doing the neck exercises that would help and he didn't lose his poo poo immediately.

PT says that he's not as bad as she thought he was going to be and she even brought out some stuff to read that explained where he should be at 5 months (he's 7 months but we have to adjust 2). Another session is scheduled for Thursday, the goal right now is to try for 1-3 minutes of tummy time (which he absolutely hates lol).

I'm hopeful for the little man :unsmith:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Very cool how most tips people have for the first couple months is "keep your head down and just survive" lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

marchantia posted:

I wish I would have been able to get in that mindset myself because I drove myself crazy trying to "fix" things and get us on a schedule that felt sustainable but like, it's a folks errand. It does get easier and you will be able to figure out routines. But those first two months you just gotta get yourself into survival mode.

I hit a point where I just got tired of reading the blogs and using stupid apps to min/max baby care. Eventually I realized that naturally my wife and I were making schedules and doing all that without even worrying.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Anyone have any experience with the docband? Kiddo got his last week and he absolutely hates this thing. It’s insane.

E: He had another appointment today for adjustments and he does okay if he keeps his head up (as in we carry him, he’s not totally holding his head up yet) or is sitting in his stroller but when it comes to laying down he’s cool for maybe 10 min then he blows up. I feel terrible about this stupid rear end thing. He’s a super chill baby and sleeps great normally but I just feel like I’m torturing him for no reason.

It’s not like he has a severe case of anything it’s a mild case and I don’t know, feeling like I’m doing it for nothing.

Half hoping that complaining here will make it so tomorrow he all of a sudden does well.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 10, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

killer crane posted:

Our son had one. Are they having you keep it in 24/7 right now? The doctor who made his made us do a breaking in period, where he only had it on for a certain number of minutes, then a certain number of hours. His head is super round now.

He’s not on the 23/7 schedule yet. The most I’ve been able to get is 2 hours on but that’s mostly because we had an hour long car ride yesterday and he knocks out in the car.

2DEG posted:

We had one for the second kid. Ours was moderate to severe, so even though he hated it at first, we stuck to the schedule religiously and did whatever we could to distract him when he started clawing at it. The hardest part was keeping him cool in the south Florida summer. He got used to it eventually, and it did improve his head significantly. Hang in there, I know it sucks :(

We’re also in Florida so I’m trying to keep him as cool as possible when wearing it.

Distracting him works for a while but then he goes into this high pitched squeal which doesn’t stop until the helmet comes off. It’s immediate once it’s off he chills.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Teething phase is starting finally. We’re seeing the first little bits of white with the little gremlin.

He’s getting fussier about it but some tylenol seems to do the trick.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I used to have conversations at 3am with mine when he was like a month old about how he’s probably not going to have a brother/sister and stuff.

Wild poo poo in hindsight but I don’t know I’m not super keen on another. Don’t really like mentioning it because everyone always tells you that’s what they all say and you end up having the second+

I do not want to self own myself.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

My wife had a traumatic birth and lost a lot of blood during the process so it was pretty easy for us to decide that we're one-and-done. Didn't stop everyone from coming out of the woodwork and asking us whether we're going to give our kiddo a younger sibling every 6 months until he turned 5ish.

That’s part of it too, wife had a traumatic birth. Kiddo came out at 29 weeks. It was a mess, just not fun.

Between that and lots of folks asking for a second and telling us how they had a preemie also (at 36 weeks or whatever, gently caress off) I think we’re not about it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m just going to be honest and say a lot of it just plain sucks lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I have a good thing going with my first, he sleeps at night and is just super easy to take care of. I don’t want to gently caress it up with a second lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Koivunen posted:

One of my good friends had one kid, tried for another and had twins. Her husband got a vasectomy after that. However, vasectomies are only 99% effective and now they are expecting baby #4.

Dog don’t do this to me

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

It's the timeless trap that helps our species continue to reproduce: an easy sleeping elder kid followed by the difficult sleeping younger kid

I simply choose to only have the one kid that sleeps good and doesn’t ruin the good thing I have with him.

(I’ll get back to this in 2 years and see where I’m at)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Had the first swim lesson with the gremlin today. Not bad, he didn’t cry but he didn’t look thrilled either about it. He was mostly sleepy while we did all the stuff the instructor showed us. Didn’t care to splash around or anything but I take the not crying as a win.

If anything it felt like some fun bonding time. There’s three more sessions left. Mom gets the next one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My parents always talked about how they wished they'd written stuff down.

Then suddenly my daughter was no longer a baby and I was wishing the same thing. How do you spend what seems like interminably long periods with a baby and forget it ALL? To the point where I'm reacting to photographs of the time like I'm in Memento.

My parents never mentioned anything about writing stuff down but my mom loves to say that when I was 2 months I was sleeping all night, how come the kiddo wasn’t doing that then or whatever.

Just wild poo poo really.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

When do kids normally start sitting up and stuff?

Gremlin is at 9 months and he’s still not really sitting down at all. Tummy time basically amounts to him flopping like a fish. He was born at 29 weeks so yeah we do adjust developmentally but sometimes it’s just hard not to worry about it.

(I’m hoping that me posting this means today when we try again he decides to sit. Seems like every time my wife or I get nervous about something he’s not doing he does it soon after).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

Grab some tissues because oh boy do I have a bluey episode just for you

Which one? I've got time now to watch it.

Edit: Is it Baby Race?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 11, 2023

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Renegret posted:

gently caress that episode

yeah gently caress that episode

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Experienced babby’s first virus this weekend. Kiddo developed a cough over the week. By Friday he was already just feeling like poo poo totally. Saturday was spent mostly sleeping and suctioning out boogers in the hopes that he’ll drink from the formula. By Sunday he’s back to normal. Still has the cough but he spent most of last night losing his poo poo in the crib (in a good way) just laughing and kicking his feet.

Wife unfortunately now has a slight itch in her throat :doh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

my son is currently obsessed with being a cricket, which to him means saying "im a cricket" and crawling around making weird noises

Sick

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pooping is awesome since I figure little man is going to be more chill after he does it. I’ll clean any poop diaper if it means he’s going to be chill.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

A Bad King posted:

From the twitter thread:

got a sensible chuckle out of me

Enjoying rn that my kid is still not "doing" anything so I found the time to finish up FFXVI with no trouble. Helps though that it's rare to find a game that hooks me enough that I want to play more than 1 day a week.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Dragon Quest XI was some good gaming too when I went on parental leave. I could just set the game to auto battle and speed through stuff with no trouble.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

That Astro game is a must play for PS5 owners it's so cool.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah Vampire Survivors was a winner for our first 4 months. Then I started getting a bit more air and was able to move up to the new Zelda. My wife and I also were able to play a It Takes Two before bed, which was a nice activity to do together.

Wife and I tried it takes two and we never got past the first area of the game because she couldn’t figure out the jump dash thing lmfao.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Now that my wife is going back to work we had to start getting up at 5am again which is fine but the kiddo absolutely does not care to be up at 5. He usually wakes up around 7/8am.

I feel so bad when I have to wake him. I try to get him when he’s moving around a bit to make me feel better but he just gives me the side-eye constantly lol.

Once he gets to his grandmas though he’s usually good, since she likes to give him the morning bottle :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Funny enough LPA was one of the daycares we were looking into for the gremlin.

Not that he’s going to go right now it was more like if he absolutely needed to go to daycare what are our options.

Guess we wont bother with them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Actually feeling bad because now since my wife got back to work we get up at 5:30am and the little man doesn't wake up that time. Most of the time it's us waking him up and he's kinda grumpy about it sometimes.

But we just put him in his little gym and he plays while we get ready and he's fine after.