Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm not circumcised and I'm married and looking to have kids soon? It's honestly not a big deal, my dad gave me a few talks about cleaning when I was young and then I was fine.

As for "people will judge him" people judge you for literally everything. Being circumcised is something I've gotten the least poo poo about compared to e.g. being bald.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you choose to circumcise your kid or not that's fine but as an uncircumcised dude it's loving hilarious how the major argument for it appears to be "their dick will look weird and also ew smegma."

Sti thing is interesting but also I used condoms w no problem.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I knew a dude who got circumcised after zipping his penis. He's fine and slightly prefers it. I'm uncircumcised and can't imagine being circumcised and have had no problems. Whatever you do to your kid will be fine unless you go out of your way to give them a complex.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
When I found out about death, I looked at my mother with tears in my eyes and said "I don't want you to die!"

When my younger sister found out about death, she thought for a second and then said "But I don't want to die!" in a very aggravated tone.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really appreciate everybody posting all this, including you phiz. My wife and i are about to start trying and my job is not going great and i'm freaked out about the future and i've just been not having a good time anticipating any of this. I'm lucky as hell in that i've got a good community of people having kids all around me right now but it's still terrifiying and it's nice to have a slight layer of distance to ask the "but seriously what if i don't bond with them for a while" questions.

Also i was watching a 6 week old briefly while it's mom was taking a shower and i calmed it down while holding it and basically okay, i can do that, i can calm a baby and change diapers.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Airbnb's are definitely still accepting stuff, a buddy of mine did exactly the same thing and stopped at an airbnb halfway.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm about to have my first kid and I have a 2006 toyota camry which I've kept in good condition, car seat's looking good thankfully.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
animals don't have tents you're doing good

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got a great photo and then accidentally sent the wrong name, resulting in our family believing we'd named our daughter after my MIL for about 12 hours.

Double check everything. You're sleep deprived and jacked on adrenaline.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah i'm not even near potty training but I also will not give up my bidet so if anyone has ideas on how to child secure a bidet handle that'd be nice

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
On a routine basis when i used to work late i'd walk past a playground at like 930 with three ladies playing cards and chatting and their kids messing around.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The only appropriate way to sleep is with your hands crossed over your chest like a vampire

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
edit: this was dumb

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Zeeman posted:

First time poster in the thread, honestly need somewhere to vent.

We have two kids. We held both kids out of preschool in the fall and our hope was to send our older kid, who just turned four, starting in January for a couple of days a week. The preschool actually had a small outbreak in the middle of December and that, coupled with the generally lovely numbers here (we're in Atlanta) has made me really nervous, and we kept him home last week when they reopened. But our kid was also diagnosed with mild to moderate ASD in November, so sending him to preschool has become seemingly more crucial for his development socially. His first day is supposed to be tomorrow and I'm nervous as hell about sending him but I also want him to do well socially and not just interact with his little brother.

This all just loving sucks and I hate that every decision right now has to feel so complicated and lovely.

I'm sorry and I'm in the same boat. I don't have any advice for you because the decision is so loving fraught but I hate everything.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Another reason to breastfeed if you can...

I know that this isn't where you're coming from and you're in no way trying to imply this, I just like repeating this. LABOR ISN'T FREE. All value and breast milk is ultimately the result of labor and effort.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
as a tip for people that we definitely didn't do the first time we had baby shots, get no-stick or some other kind of easy take off bandaid and bring them with you. The medical person should have no problem with you slapping those on instead and it's wayyyy easier getting them off.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
For babies and new moms especially there was solid research that showed that MMR vaccines decreased symptoms pretty dramatically, more recently you'd gotten the shot the better. That plus adult vaccinations have been a huge relief for me.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
the fan was my kid's major source of joy and hope till around 3 1/2 months.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was just having this conversation with my dad, who informed me I still do dumbass things that might bring me active harm at the age of 34.

He has high hopes that his granddaughter will be much more intelligent but right now we agree that she's not quite dog level.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
A good thing someone posted about in this thread re: sleep was keeping my hand on her chest for a bit after laying her down. It soothed her a bit more and let me feel how fast her heartbeat was, which helped me know if she was relaxing more or not. It was another source of feedback for figuring out what worked.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

What is the magic ingredient in boogie wipes that keeps the nose from going raw

Saline and aloe

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a personal call and we didn't but I think it's likely that a large majority of humanity does it with no problem.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://www.unicef.org.uk/babyfrien...sleep-and-sids/

quote:

Ball & Russell (2014), SIDS and infant sleep ecology. Evolution, Medicine and Public Health 146. doi: 10.1093/emph/eou023

Bed-sharing in the absence of hazardous circumstances

This study examined 400 cases of SIDS against 1386 comparable controls. Researchers found that the incidence of co-sleeping among the SIDS infants was significantly higher than for the controls. However when results were broken down to specific co-sleeping environments, it was found that co-sleeping on a sofa, or next to a parent who had drunk more than two units of alcohol carried a very high risk. Co-sleeping next to a smoker was significant for infants under three months, whilst the risk associated with bed-sharing in the absence of these factors was not significant overall, and was in the direction of protection for older infants (over three months).

The authors argue that public health strategy should therefore focus on making parents aware of specific hazardous co-sleeping environments to avoid: sofa-sharing, alcohol, drugs, smoking, or co-sleeping if the infant is pre-term.

there are lots of studies on this, they say a lot, it's hard to know, and again we didn't but consensus is starting to shift more towards 'if you're not drunk or smoking and you're related to the baby/give a poo poo about the baby it's probably fine'

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
living the thread title life, our nicely snuggled baby with pjs and a sleep sack managed to fill both with just ungodly amounts of poo poo this morning, to the point where we had to hose her down in the sink.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I figured out Santa wasn't real around 6 but i' d had an intense, vivid, realistic dream where I saw the easter bunny hiding eggs in my house and so I figured the easter bunny was real for another couple years after that.

My parents did baskets but they in no way ever dressed up in an easter bunny costume so I don't know where that came from.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Honestly they're probably ready for two naps.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

L0cke17 posted:

Stupid fatso keeps wailing at 4am. Apparently loud enough to wake up my wife but not me.

He's fine, still under blankets and calms down at like the slightest touch apparently. But he keeps waking her up several times a night doing it.

She asked me to please sleep lighter so she could sleep through the night and welp I dunno how to fix that.

Set up shifts and tell her she's free to elbow you heavily when it's your turn

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

drainpipe posted:

My 6 week old thankfully has not exhibited any more of the colickiness from two weeks ago. However, she is now acting very fussy. She's extremely hard to put down to sleep during the day, although mercifully she's sleeping fairly well at night. The only way to calm her seems to be to either feed her or hold her and be in constant motion (more motion than a rocking chair I might add). The only activities that seem work reliably are holding her while bouncing vigorously on an exercise ball or going for a walk in the Baby Bjorn, both of which are not sustainable over long periods of time.

Anyone have any similar experiences or have any suggestions for how to calm a baby down? It has been pretty draining the last few days.

Oh hey I remember this phase.

Noise cancelling headphones. Wear them to stop the screams from destroying your hearing even if you're not listening to anything, I swear mine gave me tinnitus in my previously good ear.

Other than that yes it sucks. You're building trust and helping her learn how to calm down but it will seem like forever

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
When my kid was around that age I went on a weekend trip with some buddies of mine and my kid remembered me just fine when I came back, I get the fear though. Also video calls.

edit: it was kind of a letdown lol I came back in the door and she smiled to see me and then just immediately back to "okay now hold me and let's go" I was expecting more of a celebration.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hand foot and mouth maybe? We both got more bumps then our kid when it hit.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh my god how is she four months old already I think, as I look at my friggin beast of a 17 month old.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My kid still gets pissed and starts making the up gesture when I sit down while carrying her at 17 months, sooooooo

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm bald and god willing my daughter will be too, I'm already picking boogers out of her hair.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Our daycare's sensory activity today was putting the kids in a pool of cooked noodles. We have a picture of our child reclining as if she's in a sauna in a pool of noodles, surrounded by other vaguely confused toddlers. We checked and noodles are not the lunch menu.

noodles.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

iv46vi posted:

How in the logistical hell do they set that up.

All we saw is a small kiddie pool filled with noodles but I will be asking some questions at pickup today and will relay answers.

Daycare said our kid was "confused but willing to explore the noodles" which hell, same.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
We've been reading Oscar Otter and the Goldfish a bunch lately, in which a bunch of animals that would 100% be eating each other hang out to find a goldfish. The only saving grace is that I get to do a lovely guido voice for Vinnie the Vole when he says hi.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

You are right, he does have ADD, and I made a lot of excuses to myself for dismissing some behaviors. He takes adderall, but that’s a whole nother story. He is prescribed a certain dose, but only takes it when he feels he needs it, and he takes apart the capsules and dumps all the tiny beads into a pill container, then guesstimates a dose from there. It’s XR so it’s not like he’s snorting it, but he will take it for work or if there’s something he needs to concentrate for. That was a big issue… why not take the prescribed dose every day so you can be present in the lives of your wife and kids… Why save it for “special occasions?” He got really big into nicotine gum in the few months before we separated, I’m sure I’ve posted about it before. M

Hi, I've got some pretty bad ADHD that has definitely caused issues in my relationships and my marriage. I have worked on it and I take medication and your husband's a giant rear end in a top hat. I give you full permission to think he's a jackass because even at my most loving unmotivated I have a child and I step up and do poo poo. Being disorganized, forgetting poo poo, not following through, these are things that I have struggled with and will struggle with for the rest of my life. Not giving a crap about the basic wellbeing of my partner and children is not part of my diagnosis. Not wanting to work hard to manage my poo poo for the people I love is not part of the diagnosis.

He should absolutely not be doing that with his meds, if he doesn't like the dosage he should be talking to his psych and getting a different perscription. None of this is your problem obviously other than how it affects you.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

nachos posted:

Our almost 2.5 year old has had a couple nap strikes recently and they seemed to be related to specific preferences that she wasn’t able to communicate well. First, she refused to sleep in her sleep bag and wanted blankets but it took a couple weeks for us to actually figure that out. The next one, which admittedly isn’t helpful for your situation, seems to be that she wanted to nap like they did at daycare. We switched her from half days to full days today and she took a 90 minute nap with no problem her very first time. At home she skipped probably 75% of her naps over the last month. Another thing that kinda worked for us was to wake her up an hour earlier, but gently caress that.

Oh hey, our kid just vetoed sleep sacks too. We threw a light blanket in there which she seems to acknowledge but not use right now and dressed her in a warm onesie since it's still depressingly cold for april here.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
We just moved to a street that has a bus go by about every ten minutes and this must always be commented on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Koivunen posted:

Ok crisis possibly averted. Kid’s dad actually stepped up and worked things out at his job so he can take some time off, and he will take both kids this weekend as he was supposed to anyway. I have a couple days off mid-week and then my mom is YET AGAIN saving my rear end by covering my last two work days, she will be babysitting in an n 95 on quarantine days 7 and 8. This will work out great if I stay negative. If I pop positive it’s whatever, I’d have to isolate anyway. Doing two kids quarantines back to back is tough AF.

I am really sorry that's happening! Really glad you were able to get it semi-covered.